login

Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 174904 times)

Johnny Unusual

Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #240 on: January 24, 2013, 09:37:46 AM »
Finished up Vol 2 of Peter David's Fallen Angel, which I was disappointed with at first and then won me over and made up for and addressed my issues with the first half.  I also finished up Roy Thomas' Road of Kings story in the Conan comic.  I got to say, it wasn't a 100% seemless transition between writers, but none of the Conan writers have ever done wrong by the series, and it's nice that Roy Thomas remembers how to write Conan.  I recommend both.  Not strongly per se, but both series are solid sevens out of ten and are fun reads.  Looking forward to more of both.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #241 on: February 08, 2013, 07:18:06 AM »
For the first time in a while I'm excited for two DC series! The Green Team and The Movement.

The original Green Team is kind of like Richie Rich as a team of kids who fight evil and the comic was co-created by Joe Simon, an important figure in comics history who started creating stuff that was really off-beat in the 70's,  but where also derided.  I think history has been kinder to his series since audiences are more receptive to that kind of stuff.  The Green Team always seemed like it could make for a fun reboot (sort of in the vein of Grant Morrison's interpretation of the Newsboy Legion in Seven Soldiers of Victory.  I've heard good things about Art Balthazar's all-ages books, so I'm looking forward to it.

The other series could be dumb and preachy, but Gail Simone is an awesome writer and I'm looking forward to what she has to offer.  Even if neither series last long, I'm expecting something interesting, clever and fun from both.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 544
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #242 on: February 18, 2013, 07:20:03 PM »
So anyone going to Emerald City Comicon?

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #243 on: February 21, 2013, 02:04:11 PM »

Offline The Lurker

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 5805

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #245 on: March 01, 2013, 11:27:44 PM »
Not sure how to feel about that.  You win, you're story gets drawn by Liefeld, you lose, you were rejected by Liefeld.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #246 on: March 02, 2013, 08:44:49 PM »
Decided to try and take up writing again, so I'm starting by writing longer reviews for comics I've read.  Working on this one right now.

It's not as good as the last two volumes of Criminal (seriously, read the Hell out of those, especially if you want to see a brilliantly dark re-imagining of Archie comics) but overall it merges his crime style with Lovecraft VERY well.  I'm expecting to to get even better, though.  I also love that there's an inherently sympathetic element to the title character despite all the horrible things she's responsible for.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 633
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #247 on: March 13, 2013, 01:24:23 PM »
Godzilla: Rulers of Earth

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=5792cac24346d164eb0cf6ad2&id=04affc5182&fbsend=true&e=11b2c8e2e5

Quote from: Chris Mowry
Well, the news is out. IDW's new series to be released in June. Matt Frank and I are developing the story. He's on the art, I'm on the keyboard. It's going to be one hell of a ride and I think something that you guys (and gals) are really going to dig.

And check out that damn cover! Sweet

Also. Congrats to IDW on officially being the first comic book publisher to have a Godzilla series go beyond the 2 year/24 issue mark. I know it was not one series, but collectively. Thank you.

and here is a link to a larger version of the promo image

http://i.imgur.com/4yzIgPq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GImetst.jpg
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #248 on: March 14, 2013, 07:51:21 PM »
DIAL H is SUPER WEIRD!

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3469
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #249 on: March 14, 2013, 07:54:30 PM »
Also, super awesome!
FINE

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #250 on: March 14, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
Oh, I like it. Added it to my hold. I've been looking to replace Justice League Dark with something since Jeff Lemire kinda pissed me off last week.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #251 on: March 14, 2013, 08:02:55 PM »
I'm not up to date with JLD - Did he piss you off in the book, or in general?
FINE

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #252 on: March 22, 2013, 01:59:48 AM »

HOLY SHIT.  This is amazing.  I've never really sat down and read any of Kirby's stuff outside of excerpts.  It's WAY ahead of it's time.  A perfect mix of old-school super-heroism, bombast and quasi-counterculture philosophy.  I always knew Kirby as imaginative and a primal artist, but I never realized how smart he was about including philosophy into mainstream hero comics.

It also shows me that while Stan Lee added a sort of grounding to the characters that is missing a bit here. without Lee he was able to really free his imagination in crazy, mind-blowing ways.

BTW, reading this, I realized that Jack should have worked with Steve Gerber.  Both are outside of the box thinkers and I would have loved to see Steve's subversive sense of humour mixed with Kirby's outrageously epic imaginings.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #253 on: March 22, 2013, 05:29:50 PM »
I've only gotten into Kirby in the last year or so myself. Love Kamandi and OMAC. Have a couple of the collections of his work with Joe Simon too!

Haven't got to his Fourth World stuff yet.
FINE

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #254 on: March 23, 2013, 05:22:08 PM »
It's well worth your time.  The Forever People has some problems (in that the title characters are barely characters after the first issue, since there never seems to be time to flesh them out) but overall it's amazing and contains some truly ambitious stuff.  Here's a fantastic spread from Forever People #3.

And I was surprised to see the way he uses photo-collages in his work.