login

Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 164897 times)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1516
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2011, 09:01:03 PM »
Made a mad dash over to Newbury Comics before I had to go do an inventory shift.  I was 3rd in line & missed out on copies of the Adam West & The Tick comics.

The Adam West was just a preview of the first issue that is going to come out in July. I have one if you want though.

Ah. No big deal.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5861
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2011, 07:48:38 AM »
Got some free comics for free comics day.  The Thor/Cap one was fun, but it was a bit disappointing that DC didn't bring out any original material.  Also got some back issues they ere trying to get rid of (they were trying to get rid of pretty much all their Animal Man issues, including the ones by Morrison.

I picked up this one:

But not a lot happened in it.  Still, I like Steve Dillon art.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2011, 05:26:45 PM »
In the middle of

which is a damn good read.  Man, this is one of the most consistently entertaining series around.  Plus almost any issue is a great jumping on point, which very few series are these days.  You can generally just pick up an issue anywhere and get a good read.  I like the fact that it has a protagonist who is essentially a complete jerk, but isn't some kill crazy Punisher (though he can be just as cruel when he feels vengeful) and will sometimes just let people die because they aren't is responsibility.  And the series never forgets that despite being the Clint Eastwood type anti-hero, that he can often be shown as a damned hypocrite and that his code of honour is really more his whims of "I think I'm going to do something good today," which sometimes just blow up in his face.

Offline CrowTeeRobot

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 19
  • GOOD OLD STALIN DAYS
« Reply #153 on: July 12, 2011, 05:34:08 PM »

I read through Kevin Smith's Green Hornet today, and I found it to be very good. For those that don't know, this comic was adapted from Smith's unused script for a Green Hornet movie he was going to make, but decided against in the end. Very well written, and the whole thing played out very well. I only really have one gripe:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-Luke

"Most people skip spraying themselves in adhesive and rolling around in crepe hair, but I want to do it right." -Rob, regarding a Zardoz costume

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2902
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #154 on: July 12, 2011, 05:39:22 PM »
Reading a lot of actual comic books at the moment (as opposed to the newspaper comic strips that I was pretty much exclusively reading before that).

RASL - I recently picked up book 2. Can't believe it took me so long to pick it up - I've had book one since it first came out. It's a fantastic work. Jeff Smith's post Bone work that I've read (ie that SHAZAM book) was fine but not the follow up that I had hoped for, but this is really something. I can't wait to see where it's going. The art is, unsurprisingly, beautiful. The story is smart and intriguing, though I hope he has a great ending for it. (Also - I never read the kid's comic he did, did anyone else here read it?)

Morning Glories - I asked the guy at the comic shop (which I went into for the first time in a year) if he could recommend. Specifically I went in to buy Chew, which gets raved about a lot, but they only had books two and three on shelf*. So he suggested Morning Glories, which I hadn't heard of, but he said is similarly popular and selling out quickly etc. So even though I thought the art was hella ugly, I picked it up. I didn't love the first issue either. If I had picked up the single rather than the trade I wouldn't have kept reading. It kind of felt like it was trying too hard, and the dialogue was kinda cheesy (the book describes itself as a cross between Lost and Runaways). But, once I bought into it, I quite enjoyed it. I am interested enough to pick the next book anyway.

Guzumo comics - Bought this collection from our new friend, Matt Emery, who is a Melbourne based comic artist who came to Perth for Supanova (Australia's big, touring comic convention). His colouring is amazing, his taste is questionable, but a lot of his comics are really funny. This is my favourite: http://guzumocomics.com/2010/06/flush-them-out/

Unstable Molecules - James Sturm's take on the Fantastic Four. (The real people the comic characters are based on is the premise) I had read it before way back when it came out (Almost ten years ago now). Great book, incredible art. One of the only James Sturm books I've read, even though I liked both of them a lot. Should pick up one of his newer books.

The Nobody - A Jeff Lemire book. His take on The Invisible Man. Really nicely done. Great art, with just black and white and blue colours.

Amazing Fantasy Omnibus - The was my big find at Supanova. It was in the Empire Toys cheap bin for $30 - It's out of print and pretty expensive now, plus it's been on my wishlist for a year or two. It's all of the terrible(ly awesome) Twilight Zone-y style stories, written by Stan Lee and illustrated by Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko. So it's cheesy, and just plain dumb in some of the stories, but a lot of fun. I'm five issues in so far, and loving it. The book ends with the issue that introduces Spider-Man, and then of course everything changes for Marvel. I would like to pick up some of those Marvel Masterpiece books that collect Journey Into Mystery, Tales to Astonish etc etc

* Have since picked up book one of Chew, but not read it yet.
FINE

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #155 on: July 12, 2011, 05:59:04 PM »
I'm way behind on my comics.  Got a lot to read, including Mesmo Delivery, Invincible: The Viltrumite War and Criminal Vol. 3.  Lot's of good stuff waiting.  Also read Pedro and Me, which was OK, but not great.  I've never been a Judd Winick fan, but I thought that maybe it was because he was suited better to real world stuff (no pun intended).  It's certainly not a bad book and there are strong moments, but it's not nearly as powerful or moving as Maus or Palookaville (although Judd seems less like a stick in the mud than Seth, though I get the feeling Seth kinda knows he's a stick in the mud).  Still, I think that while it is only OK as a work of art, as a book for AIDS education classes and similar things, it's very insightful both factually and emotionally.  I feel bad about being disappointed for someone pouring their heart out in their work, and I can certainly see it, but it just didn't do much for me.

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #156 on: July 14, 2011, 06:29:20 PM »
Picked up a couple of cheesy 80s Marvel limited series for cheap.  Hawkeye's four issue series from 1983 and Iceman's four issue series from 1984. 

Also finished the first two Green Lantern tpbs of DC's Chronicles line.  It reprints the first issues of the revamped GL from the 60s.  The pencils by Gil Kane are absolutely gorgeous.  The writing is hysterically outdated, insensitive and sometimes downright lazy but despite itself, there's some really great sci-fi ideas buried underneath all the Silver Age nonsense.
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2011, 12:04:48 PM »
Ooh, my store has a lot of cheap EC comics reprint collections.  Definitely picking up some of those for my trip to England.  I wonder what comics I should pick up there that can be got in North America?  Any suggestions?

shodan

« Reply #158 on: December 01, 2011, 11:45:46 PM »
*dusts off thread*
just finished Kingdom Come. awesome series.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 11:51:09 PM by Shodan一心流 »

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #159 on: December 12, 2011, 03:52:09 PM »
Picked up some books including Batman: The Man Who Laughs, the last Jonah Hex book (at least until the All-Star Western trades come out) Power Girl Vol. 1 and Two Step by Warren Ellis.

Russell

« Reply #160 on: February 07, 2012, 04:23:43 PM »
I picked up the last part of Knightfall the other day, the comic where Batman's back is broken by Bane... I guess this will have to tide me over until The Dark knight Rises comes out in late July :(

Can someone explain to me why comic books supposedly contribute to illiteracy? When I first heard that argument when I was reading comics in middle school I was deeply offended.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 04:55:05 PM by Gunflyer »

Offline deevolve

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 9
  • Sam. But if I was a rapper, I'd go by MC Delta T.
    • Sam & Rob present
« Reply #161 on: February 11, 2012, 05:58:52 AM »
I picked up the last part of Knightfall the other day, the comic where Batman's back is broken by Bane... I guess this will have to tide me over until The Dark knight Rises comes out in late July :(

Can someone explain to me why comic books supposedly contribute to illiteracy? When I first heard that argument when I was reading comics in middle school I was deeply offended.

Definitely, the idea of comic books helping illiteracy is absurd. I know a high school librarian who buys a lot of manga titles for the library because it brings in a ton of kids who otherwise would never read or come to the library.  Once they're there she can recommend other books, or the students can find other stories they enjoy reading.

And so many graphic novels and comic books are amazing literature in their own right.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2012, 08:46:01 AM »

Definitely, the idea of comic books helping illiteracy is absurd. I know a high school librarian who buys a lot of manga titles for the library because it brings in a ton of kids who otherwise would never read or come to the library.  Once they're there she can recommend other books, or the students can find other stories they enjoy reading.

And so many graphic novels and comic books are amazing literature in their own right.

While I certainly don't contribute to illiteracy, they are read differently than simple books of text.  Not that it's bad for either, but that is just the nature of the differing media.

Just finished a non-comic "1001 Comics to Read Before You Die."  Mostly good picks, but some are questionable.  OK book, I'll politely let you have either BC or Wizard of Id, but you can't have both.

Offline karnyvore

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3
  • "I demand a delicious buffet!"
« Reply #163 on: March 05, 2012, 10:30:50 PM »
I've just started back at the beginning of the DC major event line and am going to read through all the major events chronologically.  I'm starting, of course, with Crisis on Infinite Earths.  I got so confused with all of their 'Crisis' events that I'm not sure what actually happened through their history anymore.  Plus I'm a bit behind and don't yet grasp the new 52 and how it fits in their universal scheme.  I think it's just an excuse to revisit the classics though.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2902
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #164 on: March 05, 2012, 11:04:21 PM »
I just ordered a copy of the Artist Edition Wally Wood book! It cost me just over $100Aus, which is fairly cheap given that it has already gone out of print and it was a very limited run - and it's already selling for $275 on Amazon (well, maybe it's not selling for that much - perhaps they are just trying to sell it for that much :P)

I am pretty excited for it as I thought I had missed out, but then it was listed in an email for a local book store I got today, and I pounced. I am still half expecting to get an email that it was already sold out and their site hadn't updated or something. :/

If you don't know what the book is:

http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/1885/

And some great pictures from inside the book:

http://wingsart.wordpress.com/2012/03/02/wally-woods-ec-stories-artists-edition-the-friday-book-review/

I sure do hope I actually do get a copy.
FINE