login

Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 164855 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5861
  • Mr. Robot
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2010, 09:02:05 AM »
See, for me, I think Psycho Cat's third emotion on his box should be shedding.

Also, I have to admit, I don't recognize the third one down.  Is that Nightmare?

Anyhoo, here are some comics I picked up for my vacation (including some super-cheap discount ones

New Avengers Vol. 12

Still fun as almost always but I have very little to say of it.

Buffy Vol. 5

Not the best volume, but lots of good stuff, including a very funny Harmony-centric issue.

Now here are some of the cheap books I got:
Welcome to Tranquility Vol. 1

Wow, this was good.  I think there are almost too many books that's basically "a new twist on super-heroes" kind of book (and hey, I'm not against it.  Top Ten was one of my all time favourites) but Gail Simone really knows how to make it work.  I don't care if it's cliche (an inside look at the super-hero community, heroes as celebrities, hero-murder mystery) in many ways, she knocks this one out of the park, with the series getting better with each issue.  Interestingly there is a volume 2, but I almost feel the end of volume one was satisfying enough.

Adventures of Rabbi Harvey

I picked this up without looking.  I was surprised to find there are Jewish comics in the same way there are Christian comics.  It's interesting though and surprising secular feeling.  Really, what it is focusing on is the value of wisdom and honesty.  It is also interesting to see some reinterpretations of old Jewish folk tales, so that's pretty cool.  Overall, it's interesting, but not great.  Also for some reason everyone is drawn like they haven't slept in weeks.

Crush

This was bad.  And boring.  Not worth your time.

Union Jack

Man, John Cassaday has gotten much, much better.  This was a pretty tepid mini-series that didn't really make me interested in the character and didn't seem to add much to the mythology.

Judgment Day

Not Alan Moore's best, but still surprisingly good, with a lot of cool ideas and builds more cool mythology and backstory than the Liefeld universe could possibly deserve.  Reminds me that I want a 1963 trade, even if it is unfinished.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1516
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2010, 04:56:59 PM »
Just got this:

It came with The Devil Wears Prada - Zombie EP. (Only seen it with the comic at Hot Topic. All other places seem to just have the CD, no comic.)  It's part of Day By Day Armageddon - Beyond Exile novel by J.L. Bourne.  It's kinda cool since the special ops team in the comic is comprised of the guys in the band.  Artwork is by Kevin Mellon.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2010, 08:41:26 PM »
Got the Complete Essex County used recently.  I have read one of the books and the story was good but what I really love is Jeff Lemire's art.  Looking forward to reading Sweet Tooth.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2902
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #123 on: September 07, 2010, 08:03:44 PM »
Got the Complete Essex County used recently.  I have read one of the books and the story was good but what I really love is Jeff Lemire's art.  Looking forward to reading Sweet Tooth.

Yeah, I liked the art better than the writing too, unfortunately. But I did like the first book of Sweet Tooth a lot more. Definitely check it out!

I am reading Jeph Loeb's awful Hulk comics. Awful.
FINE

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2010, 07:28:37 PM »
Shame to hear that.  I loved Planet Hulk and it's a shame that the follow up is generally panned.  I do like the idea of a Hulk family, but without reading it, it seems like they did too much too fast, (yet, ironically enough, with pacing that's too slow.  Does that make sense?).

Speaking of awful, I got the first two (and only two) volumes of Dogwitch.  I got it used so at least I didn't waste much money, but I thought this had some relation to the Nocturnals, which I have yet to read but heard good things about.  Dogwitch comes off as a very poor man's cross between Johnny the Homicidal Maniac (a series I already have a love/hate relationship with) and Elvira but isn't as much fun as either.  My recommendation?  Stay away.

Oh, again I must remind people to please vote for top 50 comics from the link on my signature, though there are certainly other neat options.

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2010, 08:01:25 AM »

Yeah, I liked the art better than the writing too, unfortunately. But I did like the first book of Sweet Tooth a lot more. Definitely check it out!

I am reading Jeph Loeb's awful Hulk comics. Awful.

RULK NO LIKE THIS POST!  RULK SMASH!
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #126 on: September 12, 2010, 08:24:33 AM »
YAY!  Comic books will be the next list of crap.  Assuming people here supported me, I thank them!  Please check it out:

http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php/topic,19217.0.html

And if you haven't participated before, please give it a shot.

Also, midway through Essex County.  Enjoying it quite a bit, but I think I'll like Sweet Tooth better when I give that a shot.

MightyJack

« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2010, 04:44:30 AM »

Light fun reading. It collects the Myspace comics and a new story.

Oh and I'll have to check out "Welcome to Tranquility" - It sounds interesting and I like Simone's work (though I find her narratives can be a bit jarring, she's doesn't always make smooth transitions from one scene to the next.... which hurt "The All New Atom" for me)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2902
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2010, 09:32:57 PM »
Reading a bunch of classic newspaper strips with my wife. She's crazy about Little Orphan Annie, I'm reading Terry and the Pirates and L'il Abner. We're thinking of collaborating on a 1920s style newspaper strip.

Also, if you're interested, my most recent book is available in our Etsy store (along with a bunch of our other mini comics)

This one's in full colour, 36 pages and my proudest work so far.

You know, if you're interested.
FINE

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2010, 06:24:08 AM »

Light fun reading. It collects the Myspace comics and a new story.

I picked that up as well along with Ratchet & Clank #1.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #130 on: October 16, 2010, 10:59:37 AM »
Anyone pick any horror themed comics for Halloween?

I read Life Sucks, which was OK

And picked up Blood + Water, though I am a little sheepish about it, since I'm not a big Judd Winick fan.  Still, I do like Brian Bolland Covers

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #131 on: November 06, 2010, 08:04:56 PM »
Picked up this for real cheap at my local comic store:

Omega the Unknown

I actually read the reimagining a couple years ago, which had a Haruki Murakami/David Lynch feel to it and was quite impressive, but so far this is holding up pretty well for a comic of it's time.  It's actually ahead of it's time since this is before shows like Twin Peaks or Lost tried to draw viewers in with the mystery of what the series is about, which is what this book is doing.  I really could see Marvel bringing this one back, but from what I understand, the story sort of wraps up in some Defenders issues, also collected in this book.. Basically it's about a boy who is homeschooled who's parents die.  He soon discovers they are robots and they are telling him to beware the voices.  Meanwhile on a distant planet, a man in a cape battles to escape to Earth, and saves the boys life.  But who is the mystery man and why do both shoot energy from marks on their hands.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2011, 04:30:16 PM »

Anyone else been reading Batman & Robin?  I know I'm behind the curve (the curse of reading things in trade paperback), but I got Vol. 1 and it's one of the funnest comics I've read in a long time.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2011, 05:45:30 PM »
I'd love to follow GI Joe's Cobra Civil War, but I really can't stand (or rather my wallet can't stand) when they split story lines out among several comic lines.  I think Civil War is split into the Cobra, GI Joe, & Snake Eyes lines.  Guess I'll wait and hope it comes out in a collection at some point.   :-\

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2011, 06:54:48 PM »
Thrift store near my house got a HUGE shipment of comics from some collector. (I assume)  Didn't have time to really get anything when I was there this morning since I had my 4 yr old with me & he was bouncing off the walls.

Stopped back in later after running errands & dropped $17 & got these:

Spoilered for hugeness.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They had TONS of others, but I got there 10 minutes before the store was closing.  Lots of Daredevil, Dr. Strange, X-Factor, New Avengers, Spider Woman, The Thing, Swamp Thing, etc. etc. etc.  Plus if I spent more my wife would kill me.