Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 165004 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4929
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2010, 05:28:11 PM »
Well, what with chronic, serial mental exhaustion, I've finally gotten around to starting Jim Starlin's "Mystery In Space" from back in '06-'07.  I must say that it seems to be some of his better work from the last - uh - three+ decades.  Nothing particularly special (like his original Warlock/Magus run), but better than what I've seen of what else he has produced in recent years, as he went back to the psychological/metaphysical components of events fairly smoothly in this series (as opposed to his sometimes just cramming them in, or leaving them out).

VERY nice to see he and Milgrom back together for the art for the backup 'The Weird' stories.  Given what Starlin's done, I'd honestly rather he spent his time with producing the art for his stories, rather than spending time with more writing that others illustrate.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5890
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2010, 10:03:16 AM »
After being to busy to buy things yesterday, I got to the comic shop today.  I got this:

And picked this up used for $8

If it's Grant Morrison, I'm going to buy it eventually.  Also, Kid Eternity is one of those cool concepts I wish someone would make into a series (his power is to summon anyone from the past, present or future to help him.  I think he could also summon fictional characters too.)

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 210
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2010, 08:19:50 PM »
Ok, it's been over a month since I said I would talk about some of the ones I picked up at ComiCon, so here's the ones I was able to read thus far:

DRAFTED, by E.W. Lynch: Space Marines fight in a seemingly endless series of pointless battles against an army of powerful, but not particularly scary-looking robots.  While the story seems like "Aliens Meets Terminator" in a lot of ways, what I like most about it is the art...it's a very stylish, yet cartoony, black and white that gives it a gritty look.  Lots of cross-hatching for shadows and other details.  A lot of work went into the two issues I picked up.  What doesn't quite work, and gets annoying, is that the entire comic is done calendar-style...as in, it's in regulation comic fold and size, but you open it from the bottom and read it top to bottom.  While it is different, it's incredibly awkward, but I just like the artwork so much I can't entirely hate it.  Maybe if comics were like this from the beginning, it'd be a different story, but since 99.9999999% of comics are left to right (don't get me started on anime, seriously), it takes way too long to get used to.

THE SERIAL SQUAD, by Paul E. Schultz: Galaxy Quest meets Watchmen.  Seriously.  A group of 1940s actors, each starring in an adventure serial, are recruited by government types to take on the roles for real, issuing them real versions of all their various gadgets, like Galaxy Quest.  Like Watchmen, all of them are in some way based on actual old serial superheroes (some blatantly, but all in good fun).  Whether you'd like it or not is entirely up to how much your mileage for this sort of thing goes.  If you love seeing a Phantom knock-off beating up Nazis, then you'd probably like it.  What IS cool, though, is that the three currently produced issues have pin-up art in the back by Jay Fife, another artist who was at the con that we've talked to several times.  He's pretty much made a career out of pin-ups, and he's damn good at them.

There was one that I was going to pick up, but the booth was empty when I went by it and I never got a chance to go back and buy it.  It was called "The Cardinal," and having just looked it up on the old world wide netweb, it's more focused on morality (as the writer apparently includes a non-denominational Christian message), so if that's your bag, go ahead.  Didn't see it, can't review it.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1516
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2010, 09:28:35 AM »
Wandered in to New England Comics yesterday at lunch time just for the heck of it to see if there were any new collection books I wanted to pick up.

You know when you see in movies/cartoons when a stranger walks in and the record scratches and the place goes silent and stares? It was kinda like that.  The store was fairly full and it was all regulars, most of which were flirting with the 19 year old red head girl working the register.

The guy who worked there pretty much was following me around the whole time keeping an eye on me.

Last time I go in there on a Wednesday.  Yikes.  :speechless:

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2010, 09:29:55 AM »
Picked up this yesterday and read it this morning

Very good fun read.  Slott is definitely my favourite Spidey writer right now.

Also picked up this for cheap in the used bin:

Could be interesting.  It almost looks like a generic 80's sci-fi indie comic  following on the heels of Ninja Turtles, but the creator worked on a Tick series, so that is promising.

MightyJack

« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2010, 02:01:23 AM »
I don't pop into this thread too often, but I wanted to share my new discovery. I picked up the Atlas monthly a while back on a lark, and enjoyed them so much I went back and bought the Agents of Atlas mini series TPB.  Outstanding book, filled with obscure 50s characters who team up to take on the Yellow (golden) Claw. Jeff Parker really did his homework and created something fun, smart, and added surprising new layers to characters like Claw (which made him more than the stereotypical yellow peril baddie). I love the Uranian (Marvel Boy) - he has this old school flying saucer and wears a bubble over his head, - very 50s B-movie vibe with him . All that,  plus Venus spends half the book topless (well as topless as you can go without getting the adult label)  ;)

« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 02:09:29 AM by George Harrison »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2912
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2010, 02:10:56 AM »
I don't pop into this thread too often, but I wanted to share my new discovery. I picked up the Atlas monthly a while back on a lark, and enjoyed them so much I went back and bought the Agents of Atlas mini series TPB.  Outstanding book, filled with obscure 50s characters who team up to take on the Yellow (golden) Claw. Jeff Parker really did his homework and created something fun, smart, and added surprising new layers to characters like Claw (which made him more than the stereotypical yellow peril baddie). I love the Uranian (Marvel Boy) - he has this old school flying saucer and wears a bubble over his head, - very 50s B-movie vibe with him . All that,  plus Venus spends half the book topless (well as topless as you can go without getting the adult label)  ;)

I just finished reading that too! I also endorse it.
FINE

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2010, 06:18:31 AM »
Yeah, it's a fun read.  I especially liked how strange Marvel Boy and his ship can get (extracting his disgestive tract to eat, how surprised and shocked Gorilla Man is by the ships bathroom).

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2010, 06:42:27 AM »
My books for this week.
Gantz Vol. 11
This one is always a treat, and they are releasing a book a month now, at least for summer.

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Vol. 1
I haven't started yet, but I love the art, and it looks to be going in a more fun direction than the book has been in a while.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2010, 06:33:47 PM »
I've been drawing Marvel Villains as played by cats:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FINE

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2010, 08:33:31 PM »

...AWESOME.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4929
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2010, 12:03:10 AM »

...AWESOME.

Seconded - I especially love Dormeowmu!!
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2010, 06:11:28 AM »
I was thinking of calling him Dormammew.

That's really awesome.  I like how Jigsaw was appearently just scratched than cut to ribbons.

NOW, TO KILL PETER PORKER, the Spectacular Spider-Ham

Edit: Oh, and as always, top 50 comics is up for vote when it comes to voting for list of crap.  It would be keen if you voted for it.

http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php/topic,18596.0.html

Plus there are two votes, so if you can get another choice!

Edit #2: I just finished both Spider-Man and Gantz.  Both really good reads.  I like that Bendis is more or less keeping his style the same but making it a bit lighter and cartoonier thanks to the new cast and the new artist.  If they were to make a new Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, it should be like this.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 11:20:53 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 210
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2010, 12:34:09 PM »
I was thinking of calling him Dormammew.

That's really awesome.  I like how Jigsaw was appearently just scratched than cut to ribbons.

NOW, TO KILL PETER PORKER, the Spectacular Spider-Ham

A long time ago, my brother made a "Spider-Ham" comic for a class project.  I know we've still got it lying around somewhere, but it's been a long time since I've seen it, and if I recall it was damn good artwork, maybe even as good as what was in the comics (and he was still in Elementary school at the time).  I do remember the Punfisher and Black Catfish were in it...probably because they were the characters in the Marvel Tales issues we owned.

What makes me sad, though, is there's a few of the cats I can't place.  I thought I knew all the Marvel characters, but I'm looking at the one with the cloak and two guns and thinking, "I didn't know Cloak walked around with firearms...or is that Cloak?"  Either I'm behind on my Marvel characters or I'm just thinking too hard...
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2010, 02:23:06 PM »
Thanks every one!

What makes me sad, though, is there's a few of the cats I can't place.  I thought I knew all the Marvel characters, but I'm looking at the one with the cloak and two guns and thinking, "I didn't know Cloak walked around with firearms...or is that Cloak?"  Either I'm behind on my Marvel characters or I'm just thinking too hard...

Are you reading current Marvel at all? That guy is all over current Marvel...
FINE