Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 164797 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2010, 10:16:23 AM »
I've never been a Crumb fan (not denying his talent, just a matter of personal taste, though his unique style looks similar to some of my favourite authors) but I do want to read that.  From my understanding, it's a pretty straight retelling, which sounds interesting because I never really read the Bible.

I also recommend this:

Which is mostly a straight retelling with some Looney Toons-style humour mixed in (not so much the splat and squish stuff but the comic timing and dialogue), though the ending is very powerful.
It is, and he's mostly used the KJV except where he needs slightly punchier dialog which he's taken from Rober Alter's The Five Books of Moses..

I particularly liked the response at its release (appropriate word there):

A spokesman for the Church of England said: "I haven't seen the book but I think trying to sell something by emphasising the sexual nature of some of the scenes doesn't seem to be a good way to pass on the message of the bible."

Er, like two daughters getting their father blotto so he'll give them children? Yeah, not sure what the non-sexual nature of that is really.

I'll try to track down that King David one. :)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4925
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2010, 01:32:12 AM »
Has anyone else been picking up the EC collections?  I only have this and Vault of Horror Vol. 1 but these are fantastic collections.  They even include some old adds and letters pages (which is great in the GhouLunatics' books since it has goading letters from each of the books hosts.  Marvel gets a lot of credit for building up appreciation for creators and building up a sense of community through their letters pages, but it's clear that EC was well ahead of the game here.

I picked up most of the hardcover (B&W) EC collection/box sets when they first came out.  Still have most of the ones I bought.  There was some amazing stuff in that line, particularly for the length of the stories.  These days Marvel and DC suck at huge multi-book 'epics' and tell less of a story (and less internally consistent or believable stories) than EC did in 4-6 pages.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5861
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2010, 06:34:58 AM »
Has anyone else been picking up the EC collections?  I only have this and Vault of Horror Vol. 1 but these are fantastic collections.  They even include some old adds and letters pages (which is great in the GhouLunatics' books since it has goading letters from each of the books hosts.  Marvel gets a lot of credit for building up appreciation for creators and building up a sense of community through their letters pages, but it's clear that EC was well ahead of the game here.

I picked up most of the hardcover (B&W) EC collection/box sets when they first came out.  Still have most of the ones I bought.  There was some amazing stuff in that line, particularly for the length of the stories.  These days Marvel and DC suck at huge multi-book 'epics' and tell less of a story (and less internally consistent or believable stories) than EC did in 4-6 pages.

Agreed.  The current Gemstone collections actually have new vibrant colours that still manage to \keep the feel of the original colour without looking quite so ugly.  I like some books in black and white OK (I actually prefer reading the early marvel books that way.) but I was surprised how much colour added to those EC books.

My comics I got this week?

I think this is the first week I picked up Gantz and the other book is gorier!  Though this was a relatively quiet volume of Gatnz, focused on introducing new characters.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 06:57:12 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7115
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2010, 07:43:11 AM »
my two tick collections arrived this week.  ;D
dF = 0
d*F = J

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2010, 07:44:24 AM »
Is one of them the Comlete Ben Edlund?

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2010, 07:49:40 AM »
why yes. the other being the complete tick and arthur.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3692
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2010, 09:01:29 AM »
Tick and Arthur is OK, but for non-Edlund series, the best are Karma Tornado (With the first 4 episodes written by a young Jackson Publick, Venture Brothers Fans!) and Big Blue Destiny. Better than those, are the 3 Spinoffs, Man Eating Cow, Chainsaw Vigilante, and Paul the Samurai. The New series is kicking it pretty hard too.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 823
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2010, 11:16:54 AM »
Grabbed this little strip book today:

It is pretty funny.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2010, 07:30:17 AM »
Picked up this

and this

but I think I'll let them wait until I finally getting around to finishing this, which I got for Christmas

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2010, 04:56:51 PM »
hrm. i am judging scud by its cover. are its contents good, too?
dF = 0
d*F = J

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2010, 05:16:47 PM »
Basically, in terms of what to expect it's kind of a mix of Deadpool and the Tick.  It's about a future were robot assassins can be bought in vending machines.  Our hero, a lethal but largely amiable SCUD assassin almost takes out his target, a bizarre (like really really bizarre) monster named Jeff, only to see in the meal a label on his back that states he will self-terminate after completing his objective.  Not wanting to die, Scud cripples his target and puts him on life support, taking jobs to pay for Jeff's hospitable bills.  Along the way, he makes friends in the mafia and Drywall, a living kleptomaniac tesseract covered in zippers who talks like Woodstock from Peanuts..

Personally, there are things I'm not into:  it can be almost too chaotic at times (in an already chaotic series) and Jeff can be a bit annoying (he talks in famous quotes and catchphrases), but overall it's a satisfying, fun series with a likable protagonist.

The series was created by Rob Schrab, who's written lots of small stuff for comedy and TV and recently directed the third season for the Sarah Silverman Program.

And check it out, Scud and Drywall are costumes from the 2008 Homestar Halloween cartoon:

http://www.homestarrunner.com/ween08.html

That made me smile almost as much as when Strong Mad was the Maxx

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2902
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2010, 05:28:25 PM »
Scud is great, but yeah, I agree it can be too chaotic at times.

Schrabb didn't just direct on the third season of the Sarah Silverman Program, he was co-creator and directed a lot of the whole series (and often appears in it). He also co-created the infamous Heatvision and Jack and the film Monster House.
FINE

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2010, 12:48:42 AM »
I read the Scott Pilgrim books tonight. Just terrific.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2010, 05:56:06 AM »
Nuh-Uh, you didn't read alla dem, on counta da last one didn't come out yet.  So there.  It comes out next month, so I'm looking forward to that.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2010, 12:44:15 PM »
Finally finished Scud.  That was a really good read, though it was a bit confusing at times.  When you think about it, the plans of all of Scud's enemies seem sort of odd and needlessly convoluted, but I suppose that's a part of the charm.  I know that there are books where you don't really need an epilogue when the end hits (100 Bullets, for example) and while I like the ending, I'm kind of curious about
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Rob really needs to get around to doing more series.  Also, I hope that all of the other Scud-verse series like "Tales from the Vending Machine" and "La Costa Nostroid" get the reprint treatment.