login

Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 111690 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2106
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #900 on: April 21, 2017, 02:25:00 PM »
Why did the reality changing Allies keep the Holocaust?
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
FINE

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 281
« Reply #902 on: April 22, 2017, 03:36:25 AM »
When dealing with 'reality altering artefacts' does any claim 'this is the way it really is' hold up?

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #903 on: April 22, 2017, 03:55:48 AM »
I don't think that anyone thinks this is permanent. but if they aren't meant to take it seriously as a story, what's the point of it?
FINE

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 596
« Reply #904 on: April 24, 2017, 10:45:49 AM »
Fun?
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #905 on: April 24, 2017, 05:14:15 PM »
You find the idea of cap being a nazi fun? Different strokes I guess
FINE

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 596
« Reply #906 on: April 25, 2017, 08:55:16 AM »
Maybe not the idea, but I'm enjoying the ride...that's all I ask.
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4953
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #907 on: April 25, 2017, 08:57:59 AM »
I certainly don't enjoy watching a longstanding beloved character get fucked up because some shitty writer wanted to be edgy.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2166
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #908 on: July 12, 2017, 01:56:41 PM »
The Tick is getting his own ongoing book again!

http://www.necpress.com/tick.aspx

I've enjoyed a lot of Cullen Bunn's work in recent Deadpool spinoff books, and I think he might be the most seasoned writer ever to take on The Tick. Let's hope this one can make it past 8 issues!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3808
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #909 on: July 12, 2017, 03:24:43 PM »
I wouldn't have expected Cullen Bunn.  The only thing I read from him is the Sixth Gun, which is a fun supernatural western adventure with monster and magic gun.  Worth your time, though not a comedy.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #910 on: July 13, 2017, 02:01:08 PM »
Recently read...

God Country
#1-6 by Donny Cates and Geoff Shaw

Plot (spoilers):

The protagonist Emmet Quinlan is a West Texas widower with dementia whose violent outburst are taking a toll on his son and family. That is until a demon tornado attacks and Emmet comes into possession of the magical sword Valofax which restores his mind. Emmet defeats the demon but a mythical god comes to claim the sword which he refuses to give up. Emmet defeats him but another one of the gods attacks their house with a horde of demons and kidnaps his granddaughter so Emmet is forced to go into Hell to save her. Afterward Emmet travels to the realm of the gods to confront Attum, the king of gods in a fight that threatens to tear the realm apart.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3808
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #911 on: July 13, 2017, 05:26:38 PM »
Read The Infinity Gauntlet for the first time.  Mostly, it is really good.  George Perez's first four issues look great and Ron Lim does a decent job replacing him.  Unfortunately, I don't like some of the characters designs, though that is partially the fault of where those characters where at the time.  I don't care for the reveal that Thanos has some sort of mental block that has always prevented him from winning.  It's a weird choice in trying to explain why he always lost despite being invincible.  It would make more sense as a reveal at the beginning of the story, were he to have it removed.

Still, despite knowing a lot about the story, it managed to surprise me quite a bit.  My favourite is a clever reveal of someone misusing the Time Gem in a irresponsible way.  I also like Thanos' "final fate", even though it was probably undone a year or two later.  I feel like it is hard to do a really good "all-powerful" villain story arc well, but this really sells the threat and makes his defeat plausible (and I also like that it comes down to a made scramble for the Maguffin.)

Oh, and the whole Nebula and Starfox subplot feels like a Alan Moore subplot in the best possible way.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #912 on: August 08, 2017, 12:19:27 PM »
The New Teen Titans #28 - #31 Volume 2
written by Marv Wolfman and Paul Levitz

This story arc is nothing short of epic and features a team of Titans both new and classic.

Summary:

The Church of Blood makes a public spectacle of the resurrection of Brother Blood with millions of people following on TV which allows the church to greatly increase his powers.  Donna Tory leading a team of Titans including Wally West Flash and new Robin Jason Todd attempt to stop them but are easily defeated when Raven is brainwashed.  There are also  with appearances by Robotman and the Justice League. Robin really steps up in this and even Frankie Kane tries to hero up and helps recruit the Justice League who mostly deal with the hordes of angry mobs incited by the airing of Brother Blood's resurrection on TV.  Blood is finally defeated when a pregnant Mother Mayhem betrays him and Raven recovers from her brainwashing.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison