Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 113368 times)

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 597
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #870 on: July 15, 2016, 07:39:19 PM »
All of their volume 1 trades are $10 and Pak kicks off Eternal Warrior for 2 arcs.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Valiant-Entertainment/ETERNAL-WARRIOR-TP-VOL-01-SWORD-OT-WILD/NOV131271
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 961
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #871 on: July 21, 2016, 09:04:41 AM »
All of their volume 1 trades are $10 and Pak kicks off Eternal Warrior for 2 arcs.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Valiant-Entertainment/ETERNAL-WARRIOR-TP-VOL-01-SWORD-OT-WILD/NOV131271

Late reply, and not terribly useful for Grug, but if you run into Valiant at a con, those $10 TPB are $5.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2191
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #872 on: July 22, 2016, 10:07:38 AM »
But here's what's gonna take home all the Eisners next year:

https://www.kfc.com/comic

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3787
« Reply #873 on: July 23, 2016, 05:29:56 PM »
Am I just old?  I can't understand the appeal of the San Diego Comic Con any longer.  [I know that my TBIs make the sheer volume of people an impossible thing to tolerate.]

I went to the SDCC around 1973 (age 15, by myself).  At that point it was pretty huge, and I just barely managed around much of it, checking out things like seller tables (and buying a HUGE box of stuff to ship home) and I think going to a panel.  The high point of that trip being meeting Jack Kirby with him just walking around the floor, and getting his autograph.

I've seen some video from the last few years of the SDCC.  The content of the panels look like they'd be enjoyable to see first hand, but with the rooms so huge, one would have to get up close for any visibility.  And there's discussion of many people camping out right outside the door to some panels the night before, to even get into a 'desirable' afternoon panel.  I just saw a brief video of the Guardians v2 signing table (presumably after they exited their panel), and looked at the number of people waiting just for that.

Now, I don't believe that admission to the SDCC is cheap.  To then spend MANY hours simply waiting for a one-hour panel, or for a brief interaction with a comic-film star for a signature, it seems that the time and effort involved simply doesn't balance with the cost and effort.  [Seems to me it far exceeds the wait/ride time-ratio for things at Epcot, for instance.]

It seems it would be great to see panels and meet/get autographs from the people involved, but it also seems like one panel and one signing would pretty much suck up damn near an entire day's effort (and therefore daily admission cost).  With so much to see, even if one went non-stop (no panels, no signings), unless one hasn't got a very wide range of interests, it seems that one still couldn't manage the entire event even with a full 4-day pass.  And heck, if one has children, the extra time involved (and easy-exhaustion factor) would reduce what one could see and do I would guess at least by 1/2 (if not more).

Am I overestimating the time involved, based on possibly mis-representation of things (such as comments about people camping out 'the night before' for an afternoon panel)?
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #874 on: July 24, 2016, 12:43:19 AM »
It takes a certain amount of fanaticism. I've never done SDCC, but Tyrant and I have been to our share of smaller nerd-conventions (Fun fact: Our first in-person meeting was at Botcon 2000, a Transformers Convention!) Now Comic-Con has tapped into the mainstream to the point that it's no longer just the geeks, and that seems like less fun. To me, the appeal of cons has always been to be around "My people." That doesn't mean socialization, mind you. My people don't do socialization. But during that same convention, we popped into a McDonalds for sustenance and nearly every table had someone busily transforming their newly-acquired transformers or debating which Autobot leader was the best. It felt good. :^)

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #875 on: July 24, 2016, 03:04:29 AM »
Thank you!  I think you hit on what my discomfort with the idea was perfectly, without my being able to focus what I was saying that specifically: SDCC is now an INDUSTRIAL comic convention.  No longer a fan-originated and fan-based one.  The difference between a mass-produced molded toy and a hand-crafted one that clearly has love and care put in it.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3856
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #876 on: July 24, 2016, 03:19:54 AM »
Thank you!  I think you hit on what my discomfort with the idea was perfectly, without my being able to focus what I was saying that specifically: SDCC is now an INDUSTRIAL comic convention.  No longer a fan-originated and fan-based one.  The difference between a mass-produced molded toy and a hand-crafted one that clearly has love and care put in it.

Well, don't get me wrong, I think there is love and care put into a lot (though certainly not all) of Comic Con, but yeah, I'd say because it is A) big B) industry focused, and C) lack of fan-focus (keep in mind, that depends on how you define it and what elements of fandom we are talking about, which feel like it could be a whole other conversation) it does cause it too feel a lot less personal and it puts a big distance between the fans and the creative forces.

Frankly, I've only been to one con: PAX East in 20...12?  2010?  It was the one that appeared in Indie Game: the Movie) I don't exactly remember.   It was a really big con (and is bigger now) but it did feel like a mostly great mix of big industry stuff and more quiet discussions.  I think Comic Con is just so big, it can handle a lot of stuff that allows smaller cons to be a little more intimate.  Of course, that's a hot take at a glance, so make of that what you will.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 195
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #877 on: July 25, 2016, 08:18:07 AM »
It does feel like, now that the comic book movies are now some of the biggest moneymakers out there, cons in general seem less focused on the stuff I really used to like.  It seems like there's a greater emphasis on getting 'the stars' to show up and doing big panels, while the area I liked best, the indy artists and their little booths, seem more shoved to the side.  I think the turning point in the Motor City Comic Con (located several miles outside of Detroit in Novi, natch) was when Stan Lee was slated to appear.  They used to offer one-day and three-day passes, but the one-days were good for any one of the three days.  Let's just say, the year Stan came to town, they were not expecting everyone to use their one day pass to show up on the Saturday he was there.  They now, wisely, offer Friday, Saturday, or Sunday-specific passes.  They also now know they can get bigger celebrities, and the place is a zoo.

Of course, it also stinks now that one of the artists that used to show up, that was a big reason we went to con in the first place, now has health issues and cannot work, so con has lost a lot of the luster that made it extra special.  Now, granted, there's nothing wrong with con being popular (helps keep it open, certainly), but it has a different feel than it used to.  It has become less of a comic con than a 'media' con, sort of, since so many more wrestlers and movie stars show up, and cosplayers have expanded well beyond comic book characters.  I see way more video game characters and movie versions of the heroes than I do the stuff I used to see.  And the combos...I've seen a Master Chief with Rainbow Dash colors along with steampunk/furry Ghostbusters (amazingly, not at the same time...yet), so it's really less about the comics and just general nerd-dom these days.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2116
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #878 on: July 31, 2016, 06:58:49 PM »
OK, I had a bunch of Valiant first issues I had picked up free last year on Comixology, AND there is a sale (just about to end) on Valiant titles on Comixology.

So I read and enjoyed the first issues of:

Doctor Mirage
Eternal Warrior
Archer & Armstrong (Started off not liking it, but turned around by the end of the issue)
X-O Manowar (This was my favourite of the bunch)

And read and really didn't like:
Rai
Shadowman
Harbinger (Really, really didn't like this one. Was the second of the titles I tried, and it nearly turned me off reading any more :P)

Of course, first issues aren't always the best ways to judge things, but based on that, I bought a few books int he sale:

Archer & Armstrong Deluxe Edition
X-O Manowar Deluxe Edition
Eternal Warrior vol 1
Ninjak vol 1
Ivar Timewalker vol 1
FINE

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 43
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #879 on: August 16, 2016, 01:06:05 PM »
My favorite ongoing comics are Judge Dredd (in 2000AD and the Judge Dredd Megazine), Savage Dragon, and Invincible!

Especially jazzed that 2000AD is hitting weekly issue number 2000 next month, pretty cool. 2000AD #2000. And it has a story in it by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra, the creators of Judge Dredd in 1977, still rocking it.

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #880 on: August 16, 2016, 08:58:18 PM »
Recently got a confirmation of just how skewed (and screwed) San Diego ComicCon has gotten: I was listening to panels from it on YouTube, and people waited outside 'Hall H' for the ONE HOUR Marvel Movie Panel for up to 36 hours!  That is fu¢king insane!!  To pay admission for the Con (I presume, in order to get in the vicinity of the hall) and waste 1 1/2 DAYS worth of admission sitting for a 60 minute panel?  WtF is up with that?  [And Hall H - the biggest one they've got there, I think - was filled to capacity.  And they likely had to turn away a bunch more people that wouldn't legally fit for fire regulation reasons.]

I just don't get it: 36 hour wait for 1 of a panel?

Online RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2298
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #881 on: August 17, 2016, 04:40:06 AM »
Recently got a confirmation of just how skewed (and screwed) San Diego ComicCon has gotten: I was listening to panels from it on YouTube, and people waited outside 'Hall H' for the ONE HOUR Marvel Movie Panel for up to 36 hours!  That is fu¢king insane!!  To pay admission for the Con (I presume, in order to get in the vicinity of the hall) and waste 1 1/2 DAYS worth of admission sitting for a 60 minute panel?  WtF is up with that?  [And Hall H - the biggest one they've got there, I think - was filled to capacity.  And they likely had to turn away a bunch more people that wouldn't legally fit for fire regulation reasons.]

I just don't get it: 36 hour wait for 1 of a panel?

Yeah, I've gone to a couple local cons and I love them, but I don't think I'd ever want to go to San Diego's. It just stresses me out thinking about something like that.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #882 on: August 17, 2016, 07:33:20 AM »
The scope of the celebrities is a big deal. People will form much bigger lines for Harrison Ford or Scarlett Johansen than they will for the green Power Ranger or the guy who did the voice for Salacious Crumb and various Gremlins.

The biggest name I've seen in a convention is probably a tie between Billy West and Joel Hodgson.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4967
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #883 on: August 17, 2016, 10:46:38 AM »
I went to see Bruce Campbell's Q & A twice at Philly Comic Con years ago, he was awesome. The room was just the right size.
But this year I went to the Back to the Future panel with Michael J Fox, Lea Thompson and Christopher Lloyd and could barely see anything, even though I was only halfway back. The room was that big. So I ended up just watching the big monitors. So I might as well have been just watching it on TV.

Offline The Lurker

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3654
« Reply #884 on: August 17, 2016, 11:16:42 AM »
Got to meet Tommy Tallarico at MagFest once.  He apparently hated working at G4.