Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135016 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4515
  • Mr. Robot
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #855 on: July 12, 2016, 07:27:22 PM »
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Slapstick is getting his own comic again!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07/08/marvel-reveals-post-civil-war-2-comic-lineup

I was going to say 'and now we know what will be the first post-civil war book cancelled, but some of those look like pretty long shots!

Yeah, it really feels like they are going for real obscure stuff.  Solo?  Who remembers Solo?  And the Prowler?  Not that I mind, I like digging up the old characters (I always had a soft spot for the Battling Bantam, since his first appearance is one of the first comics I bought).

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2432
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #856 on: July 13, 2016, 02:11:27 AM »

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07/08/marvel-reveals-post-civil-war-2-comic-lineup

I was going to say 'and now we know what will be the first post-civil war book cancelled, but some of those look like pretty long shots!

Yeah, it really feels like they are going for real obscure stuff.  Solo?  Who remembers Solo?  And the Prowler?  Not that I mind, I like digging up the old characters (I always had a soft spot for the Battling Bantam, since his first appearance is one of the first comics I bought).

Trying to raise some brand awareness to turn them into movie and tv franchises perhaps?
FINE

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #857 on: July 13, 2016, 06:12:59 AM »

Trying to raise some brand awareness to turn them into movie and tv franchises perhaps?
Perhaps.  But if they do that, I wish they'd do it with Sleepwalker.  Another soft spot character with a cool premise.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2753
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #858 on: July 13, 2016, 07:19:33 AM »
I just like that the age of the gritty superhero seems to finally be waning. Between Squirrel Girl and Howard the Duck and now Slapstick and Foolkiller and the Great Lakes Avengers, Marvel seems to be embracing the goofier corners of its universe. I hope the strategy pays off. Comics are so much more fun when they're comical.

And now my secret fantasy of a Roger Rabbit-style Slapstick movie jumps up by one chance to one in a trillion. Just gotta bide my time. :^)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4279
« Reply #859 on: July 13, 2016, 09:59:31 AM »
I just like that the age of the gritty superhero seems to finally be waning. Between Squirrel Girl and Howard the Duck and now Slapstick and Foolkiller and the Great Lakes Avengers, Marvel seems to be embracing the goofier corners of its universe. I hope the strategy pays off. Comics are so much more fun when they're comical.

At the very least when they aren't outright depressing.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 341
« Reply #860 on: July 13, 2016, 05:03:14 PM »

Not a silly idea. Try to build up some heroes that are cheap and have no conflicting licensing arrangements with other studios. There's probably a whole committee dedicated to long range planning like that.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #861 on: July 13, 2016, 05:06:42 PM »

Not a silly idea. Try to build up some heroes that are cheap and have no conflicting licensing arrangements with other studios. There's probably a whole committee dedicated to long range planning like that.

Yep, and GotG was considered a franchise too obscure and even silly to work once...
FINE

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1498
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #862 on: July 14, 2016, 04:30:44 AM »

And now my secret fantasy of a Roger Rabbit-style Slapstick movie jumps up by one chance to one in a trillion. Just gotta bide my time. :^)

Slapstick did roll with Deadpool in Mercs for Money didn't he?

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #863 on: July 14, 2016, 07:46:14 AM »

Slapstick did roll with Deadpool in Mercs for Money didn't he?

Yep. half the members of the Mercs for Money are getting their own series.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2753
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #864 on: July 14, 2016, 08:13:56 AM »
Mercs for Money is so crowded, there hasn't been nearly enough Slapstick. He did get a nice one-shot story in the annual that I loved.

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 616
« Reply #865 on: July 14, 2016, 12:51:16 PM »

Haha, we could not be more different. I actually just dropped most of my Marvel titles precisely because of what you're talking about. I seriously love how widespread tastes run.

I'm definitely more into Valiant than Marvel or DC (...which is odd becuase Faith & Archer and Armstrong are two of the best humorous superhero books out there now.)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 12:57:18 PM by Thrashalla »
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #866 on: July 14, 2016, 05:12:06 PM »

Haha, we could not be more different. I actually just dropped most of my Marvel titles precisely because of what you're talking about. I seriously love how widespread tastes run.

I'm definitely more into Valiant than Marvel or DC (...which is odd becuase Faith & Archer and Armstrong are two of the best humorous superhero books out there now.)

I haven't tried the Valiant line - what do you recommend?
FINE

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 972
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #867 on: July 14, 2016, 11:39:59 PM »
I haven't tried the Valiant line - what do you recommend?

The Valiant fans I know rave about Eternal Warrior and Divinity. I enjoyed Ninjak and Doctor Mirage as well, but I seem to be an outlier there.

And I preferred the 90s Harbinger to the modern version, but Faith is much improved over Zephyr.

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 616
« Reply #868 on: July 15, 2016, 07:02:57 AM »
Compound, you are not alone in your love of Ninjak. His was the first series I tried as it was just starting as I was getting back into comics and was blown away. "What if James Bond was a Ninja?" Was how it was pitched to me.

Eternal Warrior is my absolute favorite - his storyline is all over the place but it actually works. You get some sword & sorcery, some post-apocalypse, some sci-fi - really good and really diverse. Plus you get to see talent like Greg Pak and Cary Nord pop up.

I have their whole line in my pullbox, so some of my favs:
X-O Manowar (...of course)
Archer and Armstrong
The original relaunch of Harbinger, up through Harbinger Wars.
Bloodshot
Divinity
Imperium (though it helps to read Harbinger first)
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #869 on: July 15, 2016, 04:10:39 PM »
Greg Pak is one of my favourite writers, so that might be a good place for me to start. Anyone who can turn Hercules into a must read book from Marvel deserves respect!
FINE