login

Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 111489 times)

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3808
  • Now you're playing with power!
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 05:37:38 PM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Doctor Who?

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 08:00:51 PM »
Oh I don't know maybe the fact that we will never see any alien?!

Also if Russia was willing to nuke the world to win they aren't going to let a little thing like aliens that noone ever sees stop them forever.

I'm sorry but it was an insane plan.

I'm pretty sure also at some point people in the states would start saying 'What if it was the Russians and they were just trying to make it look like aliens so we wouldn't nuke them back?"

I'm sorry i just can't see the plan working in the long run.

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 09:02:25 PM »
The insanity of the plan is kinda the point (one of them anyway).  The ludicrousness of that certain comic book trope is one of the things Alan Moore wanted to highlight.
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Doctor Who?

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 05:48:21 AM »
Oh Ok I guess.

What i was mainly trying to say is that I have heard people say that there is no way to do a sequel to Watchmen but I think there are lots of places you can go with the story.

Really good read.

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 08:43:17 PM »
Just necroing with coming big news:

the art for the final issue of planetary is done.  Now it's just got to be coloured and such (which hopefully won't take another 2 years).

Not an April Fools gag, although Warren Ellis felt dumb for putting the news on his blog and then forgeting some people might draw some conclusions on the long awaited final issue.

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 09:01:05 PM »
Sweet, a friend recently gave me a bunch of his old trades for free, including Give Me Liberty, some Peter Bagge stuff, Lethargic lad and misc.  I also picked up Adventures of the Rifle Briagade.

Also, is anyone else reading "Seaguy: the Slaves of Mickey Eye"?  Because I'm loving it!

Offline TheBatman

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 11:13:08 AM »
I love comic books, I'm not an encyclopedia when it comes to them but it's like that old saying "I may not know art but I know what I like"

My favorite series are:

The Preacher - Well, anything by Garth Ennis but this has to be his finest work. Brilliant characters, awesome dialogue and a really, really, really good story

The Boys - Another hit by Mr. Ennis, this has to be the only comic book that actually has me laughing out loud most of the time

Well, only those two, been meaning to pick up Y: The Last Man, the dude at my local comic book store said if I liked Preacher I'd dig this so I'm gonna give this a whirl

Series I'm reading at the moment

Batman
Batwoman In Detective Comics
Batman & Robin
Batman: Streets of Gotham
Red Robin
The Punisher: Max Series

And I've placed pre-orders for the Black Night arcs for Green Lantern, Batman and Superman

As you can probably guess I'm a huge Bats fan boy

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 12:59:38 PM »

Well, only those two, been meaning to pick up Y: The Last Man, the dude at my local comic book store said if I liked Preacher I'd dig this so I'm gonna give this a whirl

I need to check out Y:The Last Man too. Ever since it won a Scream Award over my beloved Walking Dead (so dammit, it had better be good).

I'm a huge Batman fan too, actually. But since I came into it fairly late in my life (relatively speaking) and have been lazy about reading any of the comics, the only series I'm enjoying currently is the All Star run along with All Star Superman.

Offline TheBatman

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 01:33:51 PM »
Thought about it some more and here are a few others I really dig

Batman: Long Halloween - One of the main inspirations for Dark Knight and a must read for any bat fan who hasn't picked it up yet

The Punisher MAX Series - Punisher. The way he was always meant to be. Unrelenting and violent. Again with the majority of the run penned by Ennis

Superman: Red Son - Not a big supes fan but I loved this.

Also, here's some mini reviews of this month's Bat related DC titles if anyone is interested:

Batman: Streets of Gotham #1 - Writing by Paul Dini and and art by Dustin Nguyen. I liked it, seems they've picked an interesting main villain for the first arc in Firefly. Definitely going to be following this.

Batman #687 - Dealing with the aftermath of Batman's death in the Final Crisis Arc Dick Grayson has to deal with the pressure of having to become The Batman. Judd Winick seems to have a good handle on the characters and I like the art by Ed Benes, I find it very reminiscent of Jim Lee which isn't a bad thing at all.

Batman & Robin #2 After what I thought was a pretty unspectacular first issue things have gotten interesting. Morrison writes good conflict between Damien and Dick as the dynamic duo and Frank Quietly's art is starting to grow on me.

Red Robin #1 - Decided to give this a whirl after all and I love it. I always felt Tim Drake was an underrated character and glad to see him finally being able to head his own book. Chris Yost really let's you feel for Tim's outrage at being replaced as Bats' sidekick and Ramon Bachs' art is pretty decent too.

Detective Comics #854 - With Batman being stretched over in different titles DC decided to make Batwoman the lead in this one. Greg Rucka seems to have come up with a pretty interesting villain in the form of Alice a chick who speaks in lines from Alice In Wonderland and dresses in the Gothic Lolita style. JH Williams III's art kicks all kinds of ass. Can't to see more of this

Offline Sokudo Ningyou

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 10:44:04 PM »
I love comic books, I'm not an encyclopedia when it comes to them but it's like that old saying "I may not know art but I know what I like"

My favorite series are:

The Preacher - Well, anything by Garth Ennis but this has to be his finest work. Brilliant characters, awesome dialogue and a really, really, really good story

The Boys - Another hit by Mr. Ennis, this has to be the only comic book that actually has me laughing out loud most of the time

Series I'm reading at the moment

Batman
Batwoman In Detective Comics
Batman & Robin
Batman: Streets of Gotham
Red Robin
The Punisher: Max Series

And I've placed pre-orders for the Black Night arcs for Green Lantern, Batman and Superman

As you can probably guess I'm a huge Bats fan boy

Preacher is supremely awesome, even if the constant reaction to Arseface got old.  (I mean really; he looks bad, but not THAT bad.)  And the inbred son of Christ...hilarious.

Not sure why he thought Y: The Last Man would be recommended to you because of Preacher.  Not that Y isn't amazing, but it's...not the same.   Except having a guy and a girl (at first) on a mission.

I'm sad Captain Britain and MI:13 is being canceled, because Wisdom is being written great for a change, and it's just a fun series.  I mean: Dracula has a secret base.  On the moon.  Only someone who has read Dr. McNinja could have realized this.  Classic.

100 Bullets...confused the hell out of me at the end.   But still a great series.

Fables is definitely good, but being a Vertigo comic, it's not for anyone who strays from the superheroes.   And you really have to keep up; every time I fall back a few issues, I start reading it from the beginning to re-orient myself.

Hellblazer, though I don't keep up with it.

The Books Of Magic ended before its time.   I would have loved to see Tim continuing on as an adult, after Molly.

Sandman.

I really am a Marvel U fan, and X-Men in particular, but holy christ have they made a mess of things in the past few years after House Of M.  Really, did you idiots forget you got rid of the mutants?  Apparently so.  Either shit, or get off the pot.  Accept the status of mutants (and stop writing stories that clearly require the old status quo numbers), and find a solution, or ret-con that shit. 

(Also, though I am glad Kitty didn't go like a pussy, I can only imagine how a writer will bring her back.  I wait gleefully.)

Transmetropolitan.   Listen to the chair leg of truth, and follow the fuckhead.

Buffy Season 8:  Yeah, it's kind of weird in spots.     But funny.
"Daringly innovative, psuedo anti-neo-post modern deconstructionist, um....stuff."

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2009, 06:01:29 AM »
I picked up the first issue of Wednesday comics.  Expensive, and I'm not sure it's worth the price, but still really cool, especially Neil Gaiman and Mike Allred on Metamorpho and Paul Pope on Strange Adventures.  The other stuff is generally good, but way too brief.  (Especially Azzerello and Risso's Batman, which is a shame because I loves 100 Bullets).

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9928
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2009, 08:03:58 AM »
Buffy Season 8:  Yeah, it's kind of weird in spots.     But funny.

This way :)

Offline TheBatman

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2009, 10:28:04 AM »
I picked up the first issue of Wednesday comics.  Expensive, and I'm not sure it's worth the price, but still really cool, especially Neil Gaiman and Mike Allred on Metamorpho and Paul Pope on Strange Adventures.  The other stuff is generally good, but way too brief.  (Especially Azzerello and Risso's Batman, which is a shame because I loves 100 Bullets).

Yes, I got this as well along with the new issues of Batman, Red Robin and Green Lantern. Any long time DC fan should pick this up and give it a try. Pretty pricey considering it's printed on cheap paper but worth the read. Love how it's weekly.

Offline TheBatman

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 11:30:06 AM »
Anybody picked up Blackest Night? frickin' awesome, can't wait for the next issue!

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 413
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2009, 03:25:33 PM »
Same here. Kind of the DC version of Marvel Zombies, without the "alternate universe" cop-out.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien