login

Author Topic: What are you reading at the moment  (Read 262345 times)

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 266
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
Re: What are you reading at the moment
« Reply #2340 on: September 29, 2018, 10:27:44 PM »
Actually Stan... funny story, Olivia was actually born in Cambridge, England, and it wasn't until a few years later that her family moved to Australia.  :)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4511
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2341 on: September 30, 2018, 06:44:03 AM »
Reading a book of interviews with cartoonist Chester Brown.  Interesting overall, though I think I take issue with his view of mental illness.  I appreciate that he wants to destigmatize it, but mental illness DOES exist.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 62
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #2342 on: October 06, 2018, 01:37:03 PM »
A Clockwork Orange
by Anthony Burgess

I was a huge fan of the Stanley Kubrick film as a teenager but never got around to picking up the novel until now.  The weird thing about the book is that it's narrated in that weird sort of cockney that Malcolm McDowell uses in the movie.  Being familiar with the film I didn't have a tough time following it.  An additional note is that this version of the book includes the final chapter than was for whatever reasons omitted from the original American release and therefore the movie adaptation as well.  For anyone unfamiliar with the story it's set in a dystopian future, that doesn't seem to far from the present, where the government has developed a way to brainwash or condition the criminal element into behaving as they deem good.  Here the mere thought of violence and other socially unacceptable behaviors makes the protagonist extremely ill.  There's a lot of social and political commentary here that features some pretty disturbing situations to examine the importance of choice and freewill in a moral society.  Despite the way language is used I found this an interesting read and comparable with some of the other dystopian stories I've enjoyed.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 266
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #2343 on: October 30, 2018, 12:50:10 PM »
I just got Olivia Newton-Johns new book/memoir "Don't stop believin'". I'm only through chapter 1 but so far I am really enjoying this book. If you're a lifelong fan of Olivia like I am the book is a must. Even if you're not I'm sure it would be a great read for anybody else.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 519
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #2344 on: November 14, 2018, 03:34:41 PM »

I've sung the praises of the anime many times, but I've never actually read the books. I decided it was time to rectify that. I feel I should make it clear, these are not manga. They're full fledged novels. The translation is quite good, if a bit on the dry side. I only just started it, but considering the show is hands down the best space opera ever made, and the remake (currently airing on Crunchyroll) is shaping up to be very good as well, I have high hopes. I've only read the prologue so far, but already it does a great job of explaining how humanity ended up in the situation they're in at the start of the story proper.