4 (10.8%)
4 (10.8%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
1 (2.7%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: How do you rate this Riff?  (Read 23530 times)

Jonathan_Short_Torso

How do you rate this Riff?
« on: November 14, 2008, 12:55:55 AM »
I thought this was an excellent rifftrax for an excellent movie. But, hey my opinions are a dime a dozen, so feel free to vote your opinion.

Offline Maverick Joe Six-Pack

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 3
Re: How do you rate this Riff?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 05:00:07 AM »
A very solid outing that had some very strong "lol" moments.
"Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 05:21:49 PM »
Give it a 9 and a half.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2517
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »
9er.  Much tighter riffing here than in the first X-Men, I think Kevin keeps them on a faster pace somehow.

Magneto/Cerebro jokes are still not old.  Amazing.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 05:25:58 PM »
hmm, I've never liked the magneto cerebro thing.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 08:53:27 PM »
I wasn't impressed. Waaay too many completely random jokes with no real basis in what's going on. What weren't baseless were obvious. "What smells?" "Who beefed?" "You smell like _____" "You've been eating ______" are all old, and are overused in this one. There were some funny jokes (I like turtles), but it seemed to me like a bunch of filler jokes. I got bored. 3/10 for three out of ten jokes being funny. I'd like to be clear that I'm no Rifftrax hater, but this was one of the worst Rifftrax I've seen.  :(

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 149
    • Riff Cover Art
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 11:07:38 PM »
hmm, I've never liked the magneto cerebro thing.

My wife and I say it to each other until one gives up. Course, we are easy to humor.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 05:00:10 PM »
It was okay. They should have spent a lot more time on it. Most of the jokes were just filler and they repeated the same jokes a lot (and I'm not even talking about Cerebro). They had as many band references as Family Guy has random "this is like the time I ____" tangents. There were funny jokes interspersed throughout the riff (more than Quirk gives credit for, IMO) but overall it wasn't quite good.

Offline N.E.S. TOR

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Oh yeah, it's on!
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 07:47:41 AM »
I wasn't impressed. Waaay too many completely random jokes with no real basis in what's going on. What weren't baseless were obvious. "What smells?" "Who beefed?" "You smell like _____" "You've been eating ______" are all old, and are overused in this one. There were some funny jokes (I like turtles), but it seemed to me like a bunch of filler jokes. I got bored. 3/10 for three out of ten jokes being funny. I'd like to be clear that I'm no Rifftrax hater, but this was one of the worst Rifftrax I've seen.  :(

Was this a last minute riff Mike?
Nestor vs. Ollie picture created and copyright "Trumpysgirl"

MightyJack

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 02:08:32 PM »
Liked it a lot. Many big laughs throughout. I never cared for the Cerebro/Magneto thing but here it was funny because Bill was getting flustered with Mike and Kev getting it wrong.  :D

The Nightcrawler riffs were generally killer. I gave it a strong 8.

Offline eegah

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 437
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 04:50:15 PM »
This is a really good one. The first half was a bit stronger than the second, though.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3325
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 04:56:37 PM »

Was this a last minute riff Mike?

Yeah, it was originally going to just be Kevin and Bill. Don't know if Mike ended up doing any writing for it or not?

But the guys did a great job of Spider-Man 2 without Mike.

I haven't seen this one yet, but I am looking forward to it.
FINE

MightyJack

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 08:28:13 PM »
On 2 hour plus trax I've started watching 'em over 2 nights. Doing that has improved the 2nd half of those (longer) films greatly.

So for me, the 2nd half was just as funny.

Offline dangfish

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 03:54:23 PM »
On 2 hour plus trax I've started watching 'em over 2 nights. Doing that has improved the 2nd half of those (longer) films greatly.

I've found this to be the case as well.  When you approach the second half fresh on a second night it has frequently seemed much funnier as opposed to watching it all in one sitting. I would also find this true with MST but more so with Rifftrax considering the length of some of the films. I make it a policy now to watch the 2 hour plus trax over two or three nights.

Offline eegah

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 437
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 05:47:55 PM »

I've found this to be the case as well.  When you approach the second half fresh on a second night it has frequently seemed much funnier as opposed to watching it all in one sitting. I would also find this true with MST but more so with Rifftrax considering the length of some of the films. I make it a policy now to watch the 2 hour plus trax over two or three nights.

Perhaps you're right. I've often thought that the second halves were weaker than the first. I theorized that it was because the riff crew ran out of gas at the end but maybe it was just me...