login

Author Topic: Animal Crossing: City Folk  (Read 8808 times)

Offline Insert Coin(s) to Continue

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
    • Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Re: Animal Crossing: City Folk
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 11:40:19 PM »
I'm rather disappointed by the lack of improvement this game shows. Given, I have not played it (the way all great internet kvetches begin), but bear with me -- it'll be short.

I liked Animal Crossing for the GameCube. It was fun, original, and addictive. I did a bit of homework on the series and managed to come up with a ROM of Animal Forest for the N64 (the game it was ported from). The graphics were identical. There's nothing wrong with this. They're charming in their simplicity and they really don't take away from the gameplay experience. The DS, obviously, didn't improve upon the graphics because its graphical potential is about on par with the N64. But there's no excuse for not improving the graphics on the Wii. I understand that this is the style of Animal Crossing games, and, please, I'm not asking for photorealism, but at least take the time to smooth out the corners and add some depth to the textures. Seriously. It still looks like an N64 game. We have games on the Xbox Live Arcade that look better.

And, again, I know that Animal Crossing is a simple game and not meant to push the boundaries of graphical technology, but there's a fine line separating "charming" and "lazy programmers", and I'm not sure Nintendo is riding on the right side of it.

Offline OmegaR!

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 08:04:56 AM »
It seems that they added a lot more features, granted the graphics look generally the same as the GC version...
Though the features may have been added in the DS version, which I didn't play...

Plus the internet connectivity is almost real-time, chatting and texting, I haven't had any lag while I was on with others

I wonder if the NES games (if there are any, I haven't found any yet, though I have been playing for a relatively short time) will include the 2 player option, while someone is in your town...
(when I get time) OFF TO GOOGLE

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 02:13:46 AM »
name: Amanda
town: Hyrule
Code: 5198-6183-3331
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2008, 05:32:02 PM »
Grug
Cupcake
3351 7794 8910

And it'll be daytime in my town when it's night in yours (and vice versa)

Also we have different holidays from you guys. Saturday was "Naughty or Nice Day."

(I'll add everybody when I get home)
FINE

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 10:37:07 PM »
Name: Steve
City: Bupville
Code: 2192-1483-5596

Offline TVsAdam

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Personal text for a personal touch
    • Upsetting Shorts (my iRiffs group)
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 09:43:34 PM »
I have a question about this latest Animal Crossing, and the answer may determine whether or not I buy it.

I read somewhere that the day-night cycle isn't tied to the day-night cycle in the real world anymore.  Meaning that if you're playing at 6 p.m. in Jersey, it's not 6 p.m. in your town when you get there (assuming your system's clock is set properly).  Is that true, or is it like the other Animal Crossings, where if you wanted to see something at 1 in the morning, you'd either have to cheat like a horrible dirty cheating cheater, or actually turn on Animal Crossing at 1 a.m.? 

I hope it's not true.  The time being set to your machine's clock was one of the things I liked best.

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 09:54:35 PM »
I hope it's not true.

Then allow me to be the bearer of good tidings: it's not true.  Still tied to the system clock.  Which means that after a week's worth of playing, I still have yet to see daylight in Bupville.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2008, 02:00:44 AM »
Well City Folk's on my Christmas list, so until then, I'm building up my catalog in Wild World. In the meantime, if anyone else is still playing Wild World and would like to visit my town and shop at my Nook's (That's the only way to get it from Nookway to Nookington's if I understand correctly) I wouldn't mind exchanging friend codes. :^)

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 02:40:15 AM »
Yeah, I normally play around 6 a.m. which is dark so I bumped my time up 2 hours so I could actually see Nook, etc.

I also just figured out that you have to open the gate to let people in.  Did not know that.

I did go to Grug's town and steal some fruit for my first wi-fi adventure.  I'm a fruit theif!
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 03:04:55 AM »
Yeah, I normally play around 6 a.m. which is dark so I bumped my time up 2 hours so I could actually see Nook, etc.

I also just figured out that you have to open the gate to let people in.  Did not know that.

I did go to Grug's town and steal some fruit for my first wi-fi adventure.  I'm a fruit theif!

Hehe! Some of my friends said you were there! I left the gate open while we were doing some drawing.
FINE

Offline OmegaR!

• Big Montana
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2008, 09:11:31 AM »
BTW, if anyone wants an invite to Redd's secret shop, I currently have 3 availiable

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 06:45:47 PM »

Are you after any fruits still? I just mailed you an apple (because apples were the last fruit my group of friends needed and I sent them to everyone!)
FINE

Offline ig400

• Magneto-cent Member
  • The Horror
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2008, 12:43:45 PM »
Name: David
Town: Deep 13
3222-9731-7868
Every day of my life I find the wisest and best to fix our attention on the Good and the Beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it.

Offline Queen Shadowrama

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2008, 05:15:13 PM »
Got this for Christmas. I get the feeling from playing a bit of it that this is essentially just a port of Wild World, which I played for like a year straight, but what the heck, I'll play it again!  ;D

Name: Livia
Town: Gizmonic
1075-4951-8728

Coming soon to an iRiff near you.

Offline Halifirien

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • One nation under Doom
    • Random Notes
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2008, 06:34:53 AM »
I didn't expect to get addicted to this game after playing the Gamecube and DS versions to death, but one of my friends gave it to me for my birthday. Here we go again...

Friend code: 0345-3098-4340
Name: Terry
Town: Tonberry