Author Topic: Just got back from Amon Amarth (for you Viking Metal fans)  (Read 7017 times)

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 241
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
Just got back from Amon Amarth (for you Viking Metal fans)
« on: December 08, 2006, 11:06:29 PM »
Not sure who else here is a metal fan.. I know there are some of you but, hey I'll just put this out there.

Amon Amarth and Children of Bodom were tonight at SOMA, here in San Diego. First of all, I gotta say it's probably the best venue I've ever seen. Well, except for the fact that there's no beer or liquor there, that kinda sucks. But it's HUGE (2300 people max) and has a really great sound setup.

Anyways, the show was awesome and afterward I got to meet Johann, the singer from Amon Amarth. Pics below.

If anyone is from the San Diego area and is a metal fan, drop me a line and we'll meet up one of these days!

Yes, that is a beer horn. I want one.

I'm 5'5" (somewhere between "short" and "average") and so.. yeah.. Johann is tall.

Also, that guy behind me wanted his phone signed. Weird.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 733
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Re: Just got back from Amon Amarth (for you Viking Metal fans)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 12:24:40 AM »
Nice!!
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 05:32:26 AM »
Sounds like a lot of fun!!

Of course, to get an Ale Horn, you have to rip it off the head of a bull while it charges you. If you're a true Viking, that is...   ;)

I love annoying my boss with Metal!! He seems to dislike "all that Scandinavian Metal" I listen to! hehehehe

Oi Oi Oi Oi!!!!

Offline JonnyFrag

• Big Montana
  • Bad Movie Historian
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 06:54:27 AM »
LUMBERJACK ROCK!

sorry, had to be done. I enjoy some of the Scandinavian/Germanic (same branch in my book) of metal these days, but some is just too ..I don't know... for my old ears.

I've heard a bit of these particular guys on MTV and the one song I heard I dug. Something to play D&D to. And no, I don't think thats a bad thing.
Grapes? I hate grapes, I can't stand grapes. I loathe grapes. All kinds of grapes. I hate green grapes and I hate purple grapes. I hate grapes with seeds, I hate grapes without seeds. I hate them peeled and nonpeeled. I hate them in bunches, one at a time and in small groups of twos and threes.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 08:49:52 AM »
I've heard a bit of these particular guys on MTV...

Really?!@*
These guys are on MTV, for real? I never would have thought the day would come.

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 09:38:32 AM »
I hadn't heard that they were on MTV, but they do have a video for the song "Victorious March" which is from an earlier CD, but a great one nonetheless. (Come to think about it, all of their albums are awesome).

I don't watch MTV anymore, so, I can't confirm this but hey - back in the 80s / early 90s there were lots of metal bands on that channel. Maybe one day that'll happen again :)

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 10:01:44 AM »
I hadn't heard that they were on MTV, but they do have a video for the song "Victorious March" which is from an earlier CD, but a great one nonetheless. (Come to think about it, all of their albums are awesome).

I don't watch MTV anymore, so, I can't confirm this but hey - back in the 80s / early 90s there were lots of metal bands on that channel. Maybe one day that'll happen again :)

The same thing happened with the Swedish Dark Metal band Evergrey. I had heard that a couple of their videos had made the rounds on Headbanger's Ball, but I haven't watched Mtv since they tainted the airwaves with what was probably the first of the so called "reality" shows: The Real World.

btw Evergrey rocks! My favorite song of theirs is "End of Your Days" from their album Recreation Day

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 10:02:48 AM »

The same thing happened with the Swedish Dark Metal band Evergrey. I had heard that a couple of their videos had made the rounds on Headbanger's Ball, but I haven't watched Mtv since they tainted the airwaves with what was probably the first of the so called "reality" shows: The Real World.

btw Evergrey rocks! My favorite song of theirs is "End of Your Days" from their album Recreation Day

I just listened to "The Search for Reason" the other day. I think that's the title - I'm not very good with album names.

They are awesome but only in moderation for me. If you like them I have some great melodic metal recommendations for ya.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 10:05:10 AM »

I just listened to "The Search for Reason" the other day. I think that's the title - I'm not very good with album names.

They are awesome but only in moderation for me. If you like them I have some great melodic metal recommendations for ya.

Bring it on! I'm always on the lookout for new bands. Preferrably Scandinavian Metal   ;)

(p.s. In Search Of Truth?)

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 10:59:21 AM »

SATYRICON!

-Rude

PS Torgo- When are you gonna' go all out and just grow the viking beard, man?!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 11:59:19 AM by Rude »
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline JonnyFrag

• Big Montana
  • Bad Movie Historian
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 11:56:21 AM »
It was during the Headbangers Ball that I saw this.
They still have that on late night on weekends. It may have been MTV2. I turn that on every once in a while , mainly to shake my head and say 'what is this crap kids are listening to today?' It has some fat bald dude that pushes Guitar Hero like it's a set of Ginsu knives as it's host. Long way from Rikki Rachtman or Adam what's his hair.

I do remember a time when metal and such was a staple and important part of MTV. Well, 80's hair metal anyway. Ozzy's 'Shot in the Dark' had to be retired from running for the video request of the day so something else had a shot. Then Headbangers Ball consisted of some Megadeath, Motorhead and Accept videos, videos that were 'too hardcore' for the average audience then. Nowadays, Dave Mustaine is a wise old man waxing philsophical on VH1 (aka the easy listening channel.)

Then MTV decided they had the attention of the youth and began to pour whatever political, social and or sexual idealism they wanted into the kids and forgot that the M in their name is MUSIC.

Grapes? I hate grapes, I can't stand grapes. I loathe grapes. All kinds of grapes. I hate green grapes and I hate purple grapes. I hate grapes with seeds, I hate grapes without seeds. I hate them peeled and nonpeeled. I hate them in bunches, one at a time and in small groups of twos and threes.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 12:32:58 PM »
The one and only...

Namely, their masterpiece Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk

I know they're not Viking Metal in the strictest sense, but they still rule!

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 01:01:25 PM »
Satyricon is good, they used to be a lot better though. And of course Emperor kicked ass (they haven't come back yet or anything, have they?)

And about the beard... believe me, I would if I could. I have much Scandinavian and Swedish blood in me but unfortunately, not enough for the complete beard coverage. I'm afraid the 'goat is as far as I'll get...

Offline Dr.Impossible

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 03:30:16 PM »
Anyone ever read this article: The Top 10 Most Ridiculous Black Metal Pictures of All Time?

http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/reviews.cfm/id/1054/page/top____most_ridiculous_black_metal_pics_of_all_time.html
You can't spell manslaughter without laughter.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 04:06:47 PM »
Anyone ever read this article: The Top 10 Most Ridiculous Black Metal Pictures of All Time?

http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/reviews.cfm/id/1054/page/top____most_ridiculous_black_metal_pics_of_all_time.html

Man that is some funny stuff!!!!!

How is the world supposed to take Black Metal seriously when these idiots pose like a bunch of carnival rejects?

I found a review of an A.C. album on this website, and they mention one of A.C.'s side projects, that basically lampoons Black Metal. They call themselves Impaled Northern Moon Forest. Just check out these song titles!!!!  http://tinyurl.com/y7awzk      (scroll down to the bottom of the page to read)

I wonder what their music sounds like??

:D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 04:34:30 PM by kodiakthejuggler »