Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 300094 times)

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 59
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #2190 on: March 29, 2018, 08:02:43 AM »
Hor-Riff-Ic -- "Dracula" (1931) -- Renfield, an unwary real estate agent, goes to a remote castle in distant Transylvania.  There he meets with Dracula, who becomes his elderly gentleman friend and gets Renfield on an all spider-and-rat diet. They go back to England, where Drac chews on necks while Renfield chews the scenery.  Van Helsing, meanwhile, is saddened by his lack of 'going places' music.

While I don't find the movie anywhere near as overrated as the Hor-Riff-Ic crew seems to, I nonetheless greatly enjoyed their riffing here.  I liked the use of the 'Brad Dracula' character in place of 'Satan' this time around--initially I thought it might be a bit too silly, but it ended up working well.

[ https://www.rifftrax.com/iriff/hor-riff-ic-dracula-1931 ]

SRD's Movie Night -- "Ben and Arthur" -- Arthur wants to marry his boyfriend Ben, but the laws of Hawaii forbid it, so they fly out to a palm-tree-bearing corner of Vermont for a civil union.  This vexes Arthur's Catholic brother, starting a spiral of questionable choices, doughy sex, missing whiteout, and loitering in techno-car-parks that ends with a bathtub baptism and some long-overdue murder.  We never do learn what happened to the whiteout.

In my review of the SRD Movie Night riff of The Alphabet Conspiracy, I noted that the angry tone of some of the riffs didn't feel earned.  Well, there's more anger in the jokes in this riff, but boy howdy, this time they're well-earned.  Imagine 'The Room' without the coherent plot, likeable characters, high production values, or Tommy Wiseau's sexual magnetism, and it's still better than this.  Sugar Ray Dodge gets off a lot of good lines here, but due to the sheer awfulness permeating every frame of the film, I still only barely made it through.

[ http://movienight.sugarraydodge.com/2015/10/12/episode-3-ben-arthur/ ]
[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD5nRKGxQdw ]
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Big Montana
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #2191 on: April 13, 2018, 10:10:51 AM »
Toast and Rice -- "10 Shorts" -- I gathered up ten of Toast and Rice's 20 shorts riffs and watched them over a couple days.  Among them were 'Don't Kill Your Friends,' 'Another Cup of Coffee,' 'Bunny,' 'How to Keep a Job,' 'Practical Dreamer,' 'The Outsider,' 'Little Gray Neck,' 'Democracy,' 'Jealousy,' and 'Facing Reality.'

'Bunny' was my favorite of this lot.  I think it was intended to be an anti-marijuana short, but the filmmakers were smoking it too, so, like Bunny, it gave up on its message and just sort of wandered around for a while.  Some sharp, top-notch riffs on that one.  Another favorite was 'Little Gray Neck,' a cartoon about a bird that couldn't go south due to a broken wing, somehow didn't die, and then got his murderous revenge against a fox--a lot of laughs from the riffs here.  I enjoyed the jokes on the others as well.  The only one that kinda lost me was 'Jealousy'--not because of the riffing, but because the short itself was so cringe-inducing.

[ https://gumroad.com/toastandrice ]
[ https://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/toast-and-rice ]
[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP_iqceL88g&list=PLbFspqDEOoOOxYc5gggneZNGKsE7t1yj6 ]

OneWallCinema -- "G.I. Joe: The Movie" -- Poor Cobra Commander.  No sooner does he retreat from yet another disastrous Cobra mission against the Joes, than he gets backstabbed by his lieutenants, and the serpent people of Cobra-la show up to reveal they've been behind the Cobra organization the whole time.  Meanwhile, a new, kinda slimy Joe named Falcon gets his ass handed to him on a regular basis until everybody more or less ends up in the same place to try to keep Cobra-la from serpentizing everybody.

OneWallCinema is very funny riffing on this one, though it's such a weird-ass movie I'm pretty sure I'd be laughing through it anyway.  I liked the running gag with various other riffers showing up only to accidentally shoot themselves with laser weaponry lying around.  Some good work on imitating the voices of some of those screechy Cobra characters--must've been hard on the throat, though.

[ https://gumroad.com/onewallcinema ]
[ https://www.rifftrax.com/iriff/onewallcinema-gi-joe-the-movie-1987 ]

Offline mikelesq

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 73
    • toastandrice.com
« Reply #2192 on: April 13, 2018, 12:07:55 PM »
Glad you liked the shorts.  Yeah, "Jealousy" was rough.  The protagonist's behavior was a little much, and the internal dialogue made her sound like Captain Queeg.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1493
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #2193 on: April 15, 2018, 05:25:33 AM »
Glad you liked the gI Joe riff! That one was really fun to do and I still chuckle whenever I hear that Bob Jovi or Johnny Cash song. Also loved doing the various voices. You’re definitely right on the Cobra voices. They were rough on my throat but Beach Head made up for it.

We’ve thought about riffing an episode of the tv show occasionally but haven’t got around to it.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1493
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #2194 on: April 25, 2018, 01:00:54 PM »
Fireriffs - Incredible Hulk
Fun riff. Although I prefer multi riffer groups this one was great.

The bit about all the sissies cracked me up.

Unfortunately I don’t have time to write up a full review, but this one is worth checking out.

Offline fireyf

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 162
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
« Reply #2195 on: April 25, 2018, 03:15:41 PM »
Fireriffs - Incredible Hulk
Fun riff. Although I prefer multi riffer groups this one was great.

The bit about all the sissies cracked me up.

Unfortunately I don’t have time to write up a full review, but this one is worth checking out.
Glad you liked it!  That was a fun movie to riff on.
I'm thinking about riffing the pilot episode of Sliders after I finish Supergirl.  That will be my first multi-riffer riff... sort of.  It's Sliders so I think you can see where I'm going with this one.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Big Montana
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #2196 on: April 30, 2018, 08:04:51 AM »
Drawback Productions -- "Highway to Heaven: 4 episodes + bonus" -- Having thoroughly enjoyed the H2H episodes riffed by Drawback Productions on their YouTube page, I decided it was high time to wade into the ocean of tears that was the first four episodes of season three, with their commentary tracks as a life preserver.  Here is what I experienced on my three-hour (or so) tour...

H2H - "A Special Love" parts 1 & 2 - An infertile couple seeks to adopt Special Olympian Paul Walker from their randomly overwrought biological parents, who don't want to be in the same room with the kid but also want to keep their options open in case... I dunno, they need to harvest his organs or something?  Lots of laughs from the riffing of this largely tension-free two parter, particularly from the long list of 'alternate titles' for the series in the beginning of part two.

H2H - "For the Love of Larry" - A dad and his son (the titular 'Larry', whose love is Not Special) are in an auto accident, and their dog spends most of the hour trying to penetrate Johnathan's smug-aura and Mark's B.O. bubble to get them to do something about it.  Between the rabid squirrels and the wot-a-twist ending, this episode ramps up the WTF quotient, and the riffs seemed to get sharper as well--I was laughing a lot previously, but I was damn well near in hysterics for this one.

H2H - "Another Kind of War, Another Kind of Peace" - The grouchy father of a deceased Vietnam soldier learns he has a Vietnamese grandkid, while Ernest Borgnine, a son of Italian immigrants, makes use of an accent he quite possibly stole from Super Mario Brothers' Luigi.  Continued fun with the riffing here, particularly with Borgnine's comical accent and the 80s-ness of the schoolyard gang that bothers the kid for his lunch money.

One Step Beyond - "Epilogue" - While pondering whether or not to give her abusive, alcoholic husband his 573rd "one more chance," a woman takes her young son to the silver mines to play, where tragedy strikes.  What I've read about OSB make it sound like a forgotten Twilight-Zone-adjacent classic, but you wouldn't know it from this wheeze of an episode.  Fortunately, DP fills in its many weak spots with some entertaining riffs and brought my week of watching these shows to a satisfying close.

[ https://www.rifftrax.com/iriff/drawback-productions-presents-highway-to-heaven ]

Offline wherethefishlives

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 63
  • Toddlers be trippin'!
« Reply #2197 on: May 07, 2018, 03:46:40 PM »
Drawback Productions -- "Highway to Heaven: 4 episodes + bonus" -- Having thoroughly enjoyed the H2H episodes riffed by Drawback Productions on their YouTube page, I decided it was high time to wade into the ocean of tears that was the first four episodes of season three, with their commentary tracks as a life preserver.  Here is what I experienced on my three-hour (or so) tour...

H2H - "A Special Love" parts 1 & 2 - An infertile couple seeks to adopt Special Olympian Paul Walker from their randomly overwrought biological parents, who don't want to be in the same room with the kid but also want to keep their options open in case... I dunno, they need to harvest his organs or something?  Lots of laughs from the riffing of this largely tension-free two parter, particularly from the long list of 'alternate titles' for the series in the beginning of part two.

H2H - "For the Love of Larry" - A dad and his son (the titular 'Larry', whose love is Not Special) are in an auto accident, and their dog spends most of the hour trying to penetrate Johnathan's smug-aura and Mark's B.O. bubble to get them to do something about it.  Between the rabid squirrels and the wot-a-twist ending, this episode ramps up the WTF quotient, and the riffs seemed to get sharper as well--I was laughing a lot previously, but I was damn well near in hysterics for this one.

H2H - "Another Kind of War, Another Kind of Peace" - The grouchy father of a deceased Vietnam soldier learns he has a Vietnamese grandkid, while Ernest Borgnine, a son of Italian immigrants, makes use of an accent he quite possibly stole from Super Mario Brothers' Luigi.  Continued fun with the riffing here, particularly with Borgnine's comical accent and the 80s-ness of the schoolyard gang that bothers the kid for his lunch money.

One Step Beyond - "Epilogue" - While pondering whether or not to give her abusive, alcoholic husband his 573rd "one more chance," a woman takes her young son to the silver mines to play, where tragedy strikes.  What I've read about OSB make it sound like a forgotten Twilight-Zone-adjacent classic, but you wouldn't know it from this wheeze of an episode.  Fortunately, DP fills in its many weak spots with some entertaining riffs and brought my week of watching these shows to a satisfying close.

[ https://www.rifftrax.com/iriff/drawback-productions-presents-highway-to-heaven ]

I was delighted to see someone reviewed this set. Thank you so much. Asking people to watch Highway to Heaven is a tall order, let alone four episodes of it. You may be the only human alive to ever watch this set. You're like the Martin Shkreli to that million dollar Wu Tang album. This is where comparisons between you and Martin Shkreli end. You're like the anti-Shkreli.
"For the Love of Larry" is an amazing episode just on its own, safely in my top five H2H episodes. I grin just thinking of that ending.
It's been years since I looked at these, but I remember them fondly as it was the first time one of my riffing scripts had my wife laughing hysterically. (That rarely happens. Fast Five might be the only other time.) Thanks again for your VERY hard work.

Offline zenmichael

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 11
    • Holy Nightmare Productions
« Reply #2198 on: May 13, 2018, 03:42:19 PM »

You are like the Leonard Maltin of our crazy little subcommunity here. But way cooler. So ... Roger Ebert, I guess. I could have just said Roger Ebert. But I think Maltin was the first to create a guide to basically EVERY MOVIE IN EXISTENCE.
Michael T Bradley
Ice on Mars

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Big Montana
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #2199 on: May 14, 2018, 11:20:16 AM »
You are like the Leonard Maltin of our crazy little subcommunity here. But way cooler. So ... Roger Ebert, I guess. I could have just said Roger Ebert. But I think Maltin was the first to create a guide to basically EVERY MOVIE IN EXISTENCE.

I like to think I combine the awkward presence and nasal voice of Maltin with the rounded, aerodynamic form of Ebert.*

But seriously, thanks.  And you really have Darth to thank for getting me on this track, as I started doing it as a thanks for his iriffmas generosity. 

(* Only on an elongated frame.  So think of me as an 'elongated Ebert'... wait, no, I take that back...)

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2361
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #2200 on: May 14, 2018, 04:29:55 PM »
Obviously the term should be Elongebert.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Big Montana
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #2201 on: May 15, 2018, 01:14:33 PM »
Intrepid Asylum -- "The Great Alaskan Mystery, Chapter 13" -- I'm convinced that if it wasn't for the end of funding being imminent, the producers of The Great Alaskan Mystery could have kept their churning of low-stakes plot twists going indefinitely.  But the money ran out, so they grudgingly gave their clueless protagonists a break near the end of this episode, one of the weakest serial endings I think I've ever seen.  Intrepid Asylum, fortunately, is at the top of his game in wisecracking through this turkey, bringing this serial crossover to an end in fine style.

[ Chapter 13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7sqjHn87so ]
[ Chapters 1-12: https://thegreatalaskanmysteryriff.wordpress.com/ ]

Team Swizzlebeef -- "Shorts" -- Team Swizzlebeef is a very funny riffing group that has had a comparatively small volume of releases.  I've previously watched and enjoyed their take on an episode of Captain Midnight, and also their contributions to the Return of Chandu and the Great Alaskan Mystery.  So I decided to watch everything of theirs I haven't already seen -- the shorts "In the Suburbs," "Better Use of Leisure Time," "What Makes a Good Party," and "Ricky Raccoon Shows the Way."

What TS lacks in quantity, they more than make up for in quality.  Though I've seen three of these shorts riffed before (in some cases, several times before), their takes are up there with the best.  It's not just good lines, it's their great comic timing, energetic delivery, and effective use of callbacks that makes them memorable.  My favorite of these shorts was the only one I haven't seen riffed before, "In the Suburbs," a short that's essentially a 20-minute ad for 50s consumerism (and the magazine Redbook).  The short's drooling over young adults spending like there's no tomorrow gets more delirious as it goes along, and TS's commentary builds not only on it but on what they sets up early, and is hysterically funny by the time it's done.

[ https://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/team-swizzlebeef ]
[ https://www.rifftrax.com/iriff/ts-ricky-raccoon-shows-the-way ]
[ https://www.youtube.com/user/swizzlebeef ]

Quiptracks -- "Signs" -- There's aliens comin' through the corn, makin' circles and jumpin' on barns and having a right ol' good time, but Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix ain't havin' none of it.  They arm themselves with kitchen knives, tinfoil hats, and the like to fight back.  But it's only by remembering the death of his onscreen wife in carefully rationed-out sequences that Mel figures out... something?  I think?  Anyway, the aliens go away, so there's that.

This M. Night Shyamalan flick, being in the bubble zone between good and not-good (though not as good as I hazily remember it being), presents Quiptracks with a greater challenge than, say, 'The Happening.'  They respond with a riff that wrings a lot of laughs not only out of the parts that don't work, but the parts that do as well.  Massively enjoyable from start to finish.

[ https://orderoftheleague.com/products/signs ]

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Big Montana
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #2202 on: May 30, 2018, 01:56:40 PM »
One Man Band -- "Doom" -- Ok, I'm here to talk about... *pause* *checks corners of the review posting*... Doom, a film that includes horrifying monsters, fantastic technology, large explosions, and The Rock, and manages to make them all lame and kind of silly.  Some marines ride a blob of something or other to Mars, where creepy mad science things have been going wrong and spawning monsters.  Wouldn't you know it, they go and get themselves infected, and a lot of shooting happens.

This was a fun solo riff from One Man Band.  Seemed to me like it took a little while to really get into the swing of things, but once the monsters started popping out, the riff became solidly entertaining.  (It probably helps that the movie, with all its faults, is still the kind of movie cheese I like the best.)

[ https://www.rifftrax.com/iriff/doom-the-one-man-band ]

Ghosts on the Big Brown Couch -- "The Naked Witch" -- A student heads to the small German-founded town of Luckenbach, Texas, to study medieval superstitions, as one does.  He learns of a legend of a witch killed centuries ago, and immediately brings her back to life, as one does.  She cavorts nakedly a bit in a leech-filled pond, kills a couple of people, gets censored by a magic marker, and spazz-dances until the student gives in to her charms, as she does.  Larry Buchanan makes a tedious hash of all of this, as he does.

So this was a movie from Buchanan's early days, before he acquired the technical prowess and tight storytelling vision displayed in 'Attack of the the Eye Creatures.'  Ghosts on the Big Brown Couch does a pretty good job mocking this astonishingly terrible film, even though for most of it they're down to two riffers.  The animated host segments aren't as good, but they're not as slow as in previous riffs, either, and actually put forth a bit of sweet character development.  Also entertainingly riffed are a couple shorts, the 1903 Georges Méliès film Satan in Prison and the 1961 bit of nakedness and goofiness known as Nightmare at Elm Manor.

[ https://www.rifftrax.com/iriff/the-naked-witch-gotbbc-episode-5 ]
[ https://gumroad.com/riffplucker ]
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 01:59:31 PM by WhyDontTheyLook »

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Big Montana
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #2203 on: June 15, 2018, 11:21:32 AM »
Incognito Cinema Warriors XP -- "The Haunted Mouth/The Power to Serve" ("204: Farenheit Cine-a-Sorrow") -- In one short, an invisible... I dunno... collection of dental problems?... taunts the viewer with proper dental procedures, and in another short, Cleveland's power company talks about how sexy and appealing it is.  I think.  Meanwhile, outside the theater, one of the bots films a documentary, while the security goon tied up in the previous episode attempts to escape.  Plus, assorted other plot natterings.

ICWXP's riffing on the shorts was better here in the past couple of episodes, getting closer to the feel of the breezy, hilarious banter the group now displays riffing on gaming (and a few non-gaming) videos on YouTube and Twitch as Robot Co-Op.  The out-of-theater material, which still predominates here, also is a lot of fun, though it felt like it was going on rather long toward the end.

[ https://www.icwxp.com/204-3/ ]
[ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIT9QSeqXyVteb3sOLjuclg ]
[ https://m.twitch.tv/robotco_op ]

Toast and Rice -- "Dead Men Walk" -- How much Zucco is in this movie?  Miles o' Zucco!  Well, okay, two George Zuccos.  But they go a long way in this Poverty Row ripoff of a Dracula-style vampirism tale.  Zucco plays good and evil twins Lloyd and Elwyn Clayton--Lloyd starting the movie thinking he'd killed his brother for meddling in the dark arts, Elwyn proving him wrong by bouncing back as a vampire with his own key light.  Their struggle for the soul of Lloyd's niece and the producer's struggle to not spend anything--at all--are at the heart of the movie.

Some highly entertaining riffing from Toast and Rice on this one, aided by having a movie that--despite not having much of anything going on for most of it--is fairly watchable, thanks to Zucco.  I was glad to have his commentary (T&R's, not Zucco's) to get me through the slow patches though.  (Fun fact: Dwight Frye, who played the Renfield-esque Zolarr here, played Renfield in 1933's Dracula, and still chews the (admittedly cheaper) scenery well.)

[ https://www.rifftrax.com/iriff/dead-men-walk-full-length-vod-from-toast-and-rice ]

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Big Montana
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #2204 on: June 29, 2018, 11:07:24 AM »
Hor-Riff-Ic -- "Friday the 13th Pt. 4: The Final Chapter" -- Immediately following the senseless slaughter of the previous movie, Jason's body gets bundled away to the morgue.  Except (spoiler alert!) he's not dead!  Soon he's back in Crystal Lake, hacking away at Crispin Glover, Corey Feldman, and other hack-worthy targets.  Only that makes it sound like things happen in this movie, which it not the case for about 90% of it.

Do I really need to tell you at this point that Hor-Riff-Ic kills it on these kind of movies?  They're very funny here, with lots of in-character banter and some glorious puns.  ("I regret ruffiiiinnng!")  I particularly liked the bit at the end where Satan seems genuinely relieved to have seen the last of the series, only to be told the distressing truth.

[ https://www.rifftrax.com/iriff/hor-riff-ic-friday-the-13th-part-iv ]

Cinester Theater -- "Robocop" (1987) -- Peter Weller transfers to a new precinct in violence-torn Detroit, where he goes on to have a long and successful career... ha ha! Just kidding -- he bites it on his first mission.  But then Miguel Ferrer swoops in and has him rebuilt into a heavily armed cyborg ready to dispense pre-programmed justice to the masses, even as an evil corporation works to robo-gentrify Detroit in much the same manner.  Plus, Ray Wise shoots a lot of stuff!

A lot of times with these riffs, I'm seeing a movie I saw way back in the day and have only hazy memories of liking, only to find the movie wasn't quite all that.  This time, though, it was even better than I remembered, which I think hindered my enjoyment of Cinester Theater's riff somewhat.  Not that the movie isn't riffable -- it's very much that -- but riffers have to be on top of their game to go toe-to-toe with a movie like this, and I feel CT only sometimes manages to be there.  Still, even when they're not at the top, they're reasonably close, so consider this an overall recommend.

[ https://www.rifftrax.com/iriff/cinester-theater-presents-robocop ]