Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 334757 times)

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #2025 on: August 21, 2016, 08:30:49 PM »
Again focusing on watching and reviewing OotL things this month, on account of this: https://orderoftheleague.com/pages/yadi-cancer-fund

We're close to $80 raised from reviews alone, by the way. Thank you so much for your efforts!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2026 on: August 22, 2016, 07:05:42 AM »
Whatever was up with the Kazons' hair. Damn, now I have to suppress those memories all over again.

I know, right? It looks like it's decorated with bits of construction rubble, and they use drywall as hairspray. I have no idea what the design department was thinking with that, or how it got approved.

My hazy memories of the Dragonball Z anime series center around overwrought, multi-episode fights against an escalating series of bloated villains, and how many of those episodes were largely filled with posturing, shouting, and more posturing. Or maybe I'm thinking of this year's election.
You're thinking of the WWF.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 111
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #2027 on: August 22, 2016, 07:29:26 AM »
Whatever was up with the Kazons' hair. Damn, now I have to suppress those memories all over again.

I know, right? It looks like it's decorated with bits of construction rubble, and they use drywall as hairspray. I have no idea what the design department was thinking with that, or how it got approved.

It could have something to do with the whole 'water is rare' schtick that supposedly was going on with the Kazon.  Their hair looks like that because they never ever wash it.

My hazy memories of the Dragonball Z anime series center around overwrought, multi-episode fights against an escalating series of bloated villains, and how many of those episodes were largely filled with posturing, shouting, and more posturing. Or maybe I'm thinking of this year's election.
You're thinking of the WWF.

The movie would have been better had it been cast with wrestlers.  Of course, all my WWF memories are rooted in the mid-to-late 80s, which doesn't quite fit with when D:E was filmed, but still, I'd have paid good money to see Rowdy Roddy Piper as Goku and Bobby "the Brain" Heenan as Piccolo.
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #2028 on: August 31, 2016, 04:37:04 AM »
Finishing reviewing my Ice on Mars iriffmas picks, plus another Voyager I picked up...

Ice on Mars -- "Star Trek: Voyager - S01 E02: "Parallax" -- I swear, I just watched this a few days ago. All I can remember is that Voyager got trapped in a giant space anus, and had to fly through its crack to escape. Except there was a time loop, which means it was a time anus. I think. Or maybe I'm thinking of Neelix.

I have Michael and Chris to "thank" for referring to this week's time anomalous whatsit as a "giant space anus," as I will now not be able to think of it as anything else. And I will think of it. Often. (Seriously, though, a fun riff throughout. A "gas," you could say.)

[ http://www.rifftrax.com/iriff/star-trek-voyager-parallax ]
[ https://orderoftheleague.com/collections/star-trek-voyager/products/stv-102-parallax ]

Ice on Mars -- "Star Trek: Voyager - S01 E03: "Time and Again" -- Even though "Time and Again" basically repeat's the previous week's time-paradox-effect-precedes-cause-wooOOoooOO plot idea, it changes it up enough to be completely different. Instead of B'Elanna Torres punching her way to the Chief Engineer job, there's a plucky kid reporter who yells a lot. Instead of just the Voyager crew, there's also an entire alien world populated by folks who dress like tropical Lifesavers packs. And instead of a Giant Space Anus, there's Tom Paris. (Well, okay, not *completely* different.)

This was a terrific riff of a weak episode, hilarious throughout. A bit better than "Parallax," maybe because there was more to work with in this one. And Michael's Janeway-as-Hepburn impression is growing on me. Rent Voyager S1 and check this out!

[ http://www.rifftrax.com/iriff/star-trek-voyager-time-and-again ]
[ https://orderoftheleague.com/collections/star-trek-voyager/products/stv-103-time-and-again ]
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:41:46 PM by WhyDontTheyLook »

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #2029 on: August 31, 2016, 01:44:55 PM »
WOO! WDTL, you have the honor of pushing the donations over $100 for the cancer fund!

This is the last day for that, if anyone has been holding out. TreacheRiffs' Congo has never been reviewed, but I'm pretty sure SOMEone here must have seen it.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #2030 on: August 31, 2016, 02:31:02 PM »
WOO! WDTL, you have the honor of pushing the donations over $100 for the cancer fund!

:highfive:

This is the last day for that, if anyone has been holding out. TreacheRiffs' Congo has never been reviewed, but I'm pretty sure SOMEone here must have seen it.

Congo's one of my iriffmas selections, and I believe it'll be arriving soon.  :)

Offline zenmichael

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 14
    • Holy Nightmare Productions
« Reply #2031 on: September 02, 2016, 12:10:14 AM »
Ice on Mars - "Star Trek: Voyager - S01 E02: "Parallax" - I swear, I just watched this a few days ago. All I can remember is that Voyager got trapped in a giant space anus, and had to fly through its crack to escape. Except there was a time loop, which means it was a time anus. I think. Or maybe I'm thinking of Neelix.

I have Michael and Chris to "thank" for referring to this week's time anomalous whatsit as a "giant space anus," as I will now not be able to think of it as anything else. And I will think of it. Often. (Seriously, though, a fun riff throughout. A "gas," you could say.)

Ice on Mars - "Star Trek: Voyager - S01 E03: "Time and Again" - Even though "Time and Again" basically repeat's the previous week's time-paradox-effect-precedes-cause-wooOOoooOO plot idea, it changes it up enough to be completely different. Instead of B'Elanna Torres punching her way to the Chief Engineer job, there's a plucky kid reporter who yells a lot. Instead of just the Voyager crew, there's also an entire alien world populated by folks who dress like tropical Lifesavers packs. And instead of a Giant Space Anus, there's Tom Paris. (Well, okay, not *completely* different.)

This was a terrific riff of a weak episode, hilarious throughout. A bit better than "Parallax," maybe because there was more to work with in this one. And Michael's Janeway-as-Hepburn impression is growing on me. Rent Voyager S1 and check this out!

I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying these.  I tried watching Parallax again recently & couldn't make it through it.  I think I just really directed Chris badly here, and the whole thing feels off because of that.  The thing that stood out to me (& I'd forgotten I made a riff of of it) was just how TIRED everyone looked. It's like ... this is episode two! You're in Star Trek! Stop looking like someone just shot your dog! Jesus!
Michael T Bradley
Ice on Mars

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2032 on: September 02, 2016, 11:08:13 AM »
The thing that stood out to me (& I'd forgotten I made a riff of of it) was just how TIRED everyone looked. It's like ... this is episode two! You're in Star Trek! Stop looking like someone just shot your dog! Jesus!
I'm guessing they had already read more of the later scripts and knew what they had gotten themselves into.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #2033 on: September 02, 2016, 01:54:07 PM »
Ice on Mars - "Star Trek: Voyager - S01 E02: "Parallax" - I swear, I just watched this a few days ago. All I can remember is that Voyager got trapped in a giant space anus, and had to fly through its crack to escape. Except there was a time loop, which means it was a time anus. I think. Or maybe I'm thinking of Neelix.

Ice on Mars - "Star Trek: Voyager - S01 E03: "Time and Again" - Even though "Time and Again" basically repeat's the previous week's time-paradox-effect-precedes-cause-wooOOoooOO plot idea, it changes it up enough to be completely different. Instead of B'Elanna Torres punching her way to the Chief Engineer job, there's a plucky kid reporter who yells a lot. Instead of just the Voyager crew, there's also an entire alien world populated by folks who dress like tropical Lifesavers packs. And instead of a Giant Space Anus, there's Tom Paris. (Well, okay, not *completely* different.)

I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying these.  I tried watching Parallax again recently & couldn't make it through it.  I think I just really directed Chris badly here, and the whole thing feels off because of that.  The thing that stood out to me (& I'd forgotten I made a riff of of it) was just how TIRED everyone looked. It's like ... this is episode two! You're in Star Trek! Stop looking like someone just shot your dog! Jesus!

I agree with Darth, they probably already knew they were in a dog at that point.

I do think they were coasting a lot on the acclaim given to Next Generation and DS9--and even expecting that people who were tuning in already knew a lot of the backstory.  Looking at these introductory episodes some 20 years later, its striking how little real explanation was given for who the Maquis were, and what their beef with the Federation was.  I had to go to Wikipedia and review their entry to refresh my memory.  Its clear they figured they didn't really need to re-explain, since they figured everyone who was watching was also tuned in to TNG and DS9.

Offline zenmichael

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 14
    • Holy Nightmare Productions
« Reply #2034 on: September 03, 2016, 08:36:04 AM »
I agree with Darth, they probably already knew they were in a dog at that point.

I do think they were coasting a lot on the acclaim given to Next Generation and DS9--and even expecting that people who were tuning in already knew a lot of the backstory.  Looking at these introductory episodes some 20 years later, its striking how little real explanation was given for who the Maquis were, and what their beef with the Federation was.  I had to go to Wikipedia and review their entry to refresh my memory.  Its clear they figured they didn't really need to re-explain, since they figured everyone who was watching was also tuned in to TNG and DS9.

Aaaaaalso since they never address it, except in like ... three first season episodes.

We try to point this out now & then, but if there's a better joke, we'll go for that.  Like, Wang accuses Paris of missing home, yet being so sarcastic at one point & we make the riff (WHY DIDN'T THEY SAY THIS IN THE SHOW??) that "home" for Paris now is PRISON.
And there's that scene in "The 37's" where Chakotay is going on & on about how "there isn't a day goes by that the crew doesn't talk about how badly they want to go home," and how he misses ... sunrises over the desert or whatever, and it's like, YOU ARE AN OUTLAW.  YOU DO NOT EXPERIENCE THESE THINGS.  Absolute BEST-CASE scenario for when you get home is a court martial & an honorable discharge!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 08:38:44 AM by zenmichael »
Michael T Bradley
Ice on Mars

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4475
« Reply #2035 on: September 03, 2016, 09:07:06 AM »
Fireriffs - Josh Kirby
Enjoyed the riff, though there's a lot less Doctor Who jokes than I was expecting considering how much it resembles that series.  It really does feel like Charles Band doing his own attempt at the series.

Offline fireyf

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 179
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
« Reply #2036 on: September 03, 2016, 04:39:54 PM »
Fireriffs - Josh Kirby
Enjoyed the riff, though there's a lot less Doctor Who jokes than I was expecting considering how much it resembles that series.  It really does feel like Charles Band doing his own attempt at the series.
Glad to hear you enjoyed it.  There is kind of a Doctor Who feel to it.  A bit of a Sliders feel too even though the show hadn't been made at the time this was.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #2037 on: September 09, 2016, 02:32:24 PM »
Ronin Fox Trax -- "My Little Pony: The Movie" -- You know, when I finished this movie, I had just one thought.  Namely, that anyone with a smooze discolored purple like that really ought to see a doctor.  After that, and after picking up from the floor all the teeth that had rotted and fallen out during my viewing, I wondered about the Grundles and how they fared after the movie.  Then I looked up "grundle" in the Urban Dictionary and had to go lay down.

If watching the movie alone isn't enough to get me on a watch list, watching it with the Ronin Fox Trax commentary ought to be.  Laughing at the 'invisible pole dance moves' comment and the many remarks on the fluid-intensive nature of this movie has likely been noted in my file.  Very funny stuff!

[ https://gumroad.com/l/cOKd ]

Drawback Productions -- "Riki Oh - The Story of Ricky" -- Where has this film been all my life?  Honestly, seeing this was like seeing Evil Dead 2 or Tokyo Gore Police for the first time -- it's a film filled with (extremely unrealistic to the point of hilarity) blood and gore that pushes past the merely bad or the merely stupid, crosses the WTF event horizon, and never looks back.

This was my first DP riff, and I enjoyed that as well.  There were a lot of laugh-out-loud lines and some good banter, and they held their own against the movie -- which is really good, considering how attention-stealing the movie can be.  I did encounter some sync issues with the riff, but a quick search brought up a posting with a solution ( http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=11572.msg866191#msg866191 ), and I was able to adjust it to fit.

[ http://riffftrax.com/iriff/drawback-productions-presents-riki-oh-story-of-ricky ]

Cinester Theater -- "The Neverending Story" -- I've got a soft spot for this film, even though it hasn't aged as well as I thought it would have.  Falcor seems a lot... creepier... than I remember, even without that suggestive wink late in the movie.  And the film's a lot slower than I remember.  (Then again, so am I.)

Cinester Theater's riff provides some very funny lines and a good amount of chuckles, though it seemed kind of thin.  And there was a buzzing that accompanied a lot of the lines--I wasn't surprised when, later on, browsing old threads, I discovered it was their first-ever riff.  Still, it was enjoyable overall, and helped puncture the nostalgia haze in my head surrounding this film.

[ http://www.rifftrax.com/iriff/cinester-theater-presents-the-neverending-story ]
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:50:54 PM by WhyDontTheyLook »

Offline fireyf

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 179
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
« Reply #2038 on: September 20, 2016, 02:00:50 PM »
Cinester Theater's Planet of the Apes.

Oh, my, gosh!  This was so funny.  I love the Star Wars joke right at the beginning as I was thinking the exact same thing right before they made the joke.  And of course the Farscape reference was right up my alley (see my Avatar).  The whole creepy sexual vibe between Astronaut What's His Name (played by Mark Wahlberg) and Lady Chimp (played by Helena Bohnam Carter) was handled so well and I love how they reacted to General Thade.  This was one of the first movies I bought when I got a DVD player back in the day (I was young and foolish) so it was nice to get some fresh use out of the old disc that has been collecting dust in my den all these years.
But as funny as the riff was I'm going to say the intro and outro were the best parts of the whole thing, and that's saying something.  Brook really takes some hilarious abuse in this one.
Great job guys!

Offline wherethefishlives

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 65
  • Toddlers be trippin'!
« Reply #2039 on: September 24, 2016, 06:11:11 PM »
Turkey Shoot w/ Scott Zee

I happened to win the complete set of this riffing group-- I mean, person, so I've only really dipped my toe in the Turkey Shoot waters. But I've enjoyed what I've watched so far, so I'll be peppering in reviews between other groups as I continue this endeavor. Good delivery for a one-man riff: his voice reminds me of Trace Beaulieu by way of Harland Williams (two wildly different comic sensibilities that smash nicely together into an altogether new one). Wildly dense with jokes, especially for a one-man riff, but it was rare that I felt like the jokes were running into one another. Face it, we all get greedy for jokes and leave too many in spots throughout our riffs. Scott gets away with it more often than I would expect a single riffer could.

Squeak the Squirrel

In which a chipmunk-looking squirrel is psychologically tormented. Only for the most hardened of squirrel haters… like my mother-in-law. Boy does she not like it when they get into the garage in the winter.  “Hey, you! Get out of my garage!” she once screamed like a Will Ferrell character, before coming back into the house and shouting to no one: “I’m so… ANGRYYYYYYYY!!!!” (My wife and I perform this scene for one another at least once a month.)

-“Hmm, there must be something around here to eat someplace.” Oh, look, there’s a squirrel.
-(After successful liberating a nut from the umpteenth obstacle course) Now let’s put the nut into the talons of a grey-horned owl.
-(A nut dangles from what looks like a hangman’s noose) This looks like Final Exit, the mini-guide.

Spooks Run Wild

I was concerned about this title considering the era in which this film was made. Turns out, "spooks" refers to ghosts, but my relief was short-lived as there is a depressing buckwheat-type character picking up the racist baton. It used to bum me out as a kid when I couldn't make my grandparents laugh, but if this was what their generation found funny then I think it's on them.
Scott does a Good Bela Lugosi impression. And Cheech Marin too.

-“This knowledge you possess…” May I have some too?
-David Lynch’s Fantasy Island
-Linda: “If you’re not man enough to go after them, I’ll find them myself!” Some dude: “But Linda…” I’ve got the penis.
-“Something tells me I should keep moving.” Maybe it’s my feets. I hope they don’t fail me.
-Don’t you hate when exciting chase scenes are stopped dead by lobby furniture?

Hitler DOA

Did you enjoy Inglourious Basterds but wished it was horrible and nearly impossible to hear? You're in luck, because here comes what I have to assume was one of dozens of Let's-Kill-Hitler movies that must've come out during the WWII era. I got to wondering how many times the Nazi props in the movie must've been used in other Hitler assassination movies.

-Enjoyed the facts about the actor who played Hitler that Scott laid out during the opening credits. It's nice to take a break from the riff bombardment to just hear some interesting facts... that gets tagged with a joke, because he can only hold in being a clown for so long.
-"You smell anything?" Stop announcing them! Geez!
-"These locks come apart like a baby's back." Dutch, how do you know that?
-I read somewhere that hiding is a slam-bang-up way of concealing one's position in a time of flight.
-(Our heroes disguised as a string quartet) They probably shouldn't have listed the Lusitania on their resume.
-(On a shot of a swastika) Hey, Rush Limbaugh has a cuckoo clock just like that.
-(When the 2nd of our heroes is killed) I'm coming, Dutch, unless you're in monkey heaven.