login

Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 307011 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5311
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #1755 on: August 09, 2014, 07:38:36 PM »
iJust finished watching Cinester Theater's riff of Short Circuit - Funny, as always. I am always impressed that they can successfully riff movies that are comedies, essentially breaking one of the "rules" set up by MST3K.

Also, at the end of this one is Syncy's line about getting his revenge. Which was right before they went on hiatus and it never happened.

This movie is still a guilty pleasure of mine. But more and more I do see it's issues. Both in how cartoonish Skroeder is (not to mention his silly name), as well as how nonchalant other people are about a killbot out in the public. And even when I was a kid I thought it was stupid how easily the other robots are defeated.

Highly recommended.

How not to be seen.

Who wants. To get. Fucking. Wasted.

Oh good, he's become annoying. Thanks Stephanie.

We use them to drive cars badly.

Oh don't mind that, our Tom Tom is having an existential crisis. (still my favorite riff in this)

(Johnny 5 is reprogramming the other robots) - He's basically dateraping them. (it's not often a rape joke actually is funny)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1756 on: August 10, 2014, 08:23:17 PM »
Cinester Theater riff of Frozen - Not my favorite of theirs, but always enjoyable. Their energy is wonderful, and I have gotten used to Brooks riffing with them. It does help that Brooks has a different enough voice that there is never any question of who is speaking.

This movie itself is still enjoyable. The ice effects are absolutely gorgeous. But as I watch it more, all of the songs other than Let It Go just are more and more glaringly pointless and shoehorned in. It would have been much better had they not made this a musical and only had Let It Go be the single centerpiece song. This is also one of the only movies I have ever seen where the "power of love" at the end actually feels like it belongs and isn't annoying.

Highly recommended.

They've got to do this every time the king wants a diet soda.

Hey, they built Steve Buschemi.

Uh, hey, there's a Mr. Adolf Hitler here with a whole bunch of people.

Um, you're being invaded right now. Might want to do something about that.

The fart joke is brilliantly timed.

Manflesh!

The running gag with Daryl the guard just gets funnier and funnier.

Don't drink it, though. It'll get you FUCKED UP!

Offline ephemeris

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #1757 on: August 11, 2014, 06:57:55 AM »
Drawback Productions riff of "Riki-Oh The Story of Ricky".  Oh my. After being stunned by how good their riff of "Fast Five" was, I decided to go back to their riffs of movie I didn't own. I ordered the DVD of this Hong Kong action 'gem' and… well… I'm sure that the movie is… something. What, however, I have no idea. Watching it would be an unpleasant nightmare. However, with Dru and Megan to keep me company and explain the action, it became a wonderful way to spend an evening. Great work. Good dynamic between the hosts as always. Many laugh out loud comments thanks to them.

One technical note though. The Fortune Star Media DVD I bought is Region 1 with a run-time of 1:32:04. The movie is 24 fps but it will not sync with the NTSC riff. I looked at it for a while and concluded the riff was 4.126% too fast. That is suspiciously close to what happens if you work from a 25 fps PAL copy. That made me think maybe the PAL and NTSC riff mp3 files were mislabeled. So, I downloaded the PAL copy of the riff but it was 4.1% faster than the NTSC version just like you it should be. Since I remaster these things for use with XBMC, I  fixed the riff in Audacity by using the 'Change Tempo…' effect command to slow the riff by 4.126%.

Offline wherethefishlives

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 63
  • Toddlers be trippin'!
« Reply #1758 on: August 11, 2014, 09:31:55 AM »
Drawback Productions riff of "Riki-Oh The Story of Ricky".  Oh my. After being stunned by how good their riff of "Fast Five" was, I decided to go back to their riffs of movie I didn't own. I ordered the DVD of this Hong Kong action 'gem' and… well… I'm sure that the movie is… something. What, however, I have no idea. Watching it would be an unpleasant nightmare. However, with Dru and Megan to keep me company and explain the action, it became a wonderful way to spend an evening. Great work. Good dynamic between the hosts as always. Many laugh out loud comments thanks to them.

One technical note though. The Fortune Star Media DVD I bought is Region 1 with a run-time of 1:32:04. The movie is 24 fps but it will not sync with the NTSC riff. I looked at it for a while and concluded the riff was 4.126% too fast. That is suspiciously close to what happens if you work from a 25 fps PAL copy. That made me think maybe the PAL and NTSC riff mp3 files were mislabeled. So, I downloaded the PAL copy of the riff but it was 4.1% faster than the NTSC version just like you it should be. Since I remaster these things for use with XBMC, I  fixed the riff in Audacity by using the 'Change Tempo…' effect command to slow the riff by 4.126%.

Thanks for the kind words on our humble beginnings. 

I can't remember which version of the DVD I made this from but the sync issue is curious.  I'll post a revised file with the recommended tempo change for this as soon as I can.  Thanks for the tip!

Offline ithonicfury

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #1759 on: August 11, 2014, 01:12:14 PM »
It lined up fine for me, not sure what version of the movie I have, but its 29.97fps.

Offline ephemeris

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #1760 on: August 11, 2014, 03:42:06 PM »
I checked the IMDB listing and it says the movie was shot on 35 mm, so I'd assume it was originally 24 fps. For what it's worth here's what IMDB says about the run-time:

1 hr 31 min (91 min) (Germany)
1 hr 31 min (91 min) (Japan)
1 hr 28 min (88 min) (unrated) (USA)

The not rated Fortune Star Media / Tokyo Shock DVD I bought has a run-time of 1:32. Definitely different than the time listed on IMDB. Maybe just add a slowed MP3 for others with this edition?

Offline wherethefishlives

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 63
  • Toddlers be trippin'!
« Reply #1761 on: August 12, 2014, 09:52:59 AM »
I checked the IMDB listing and it says the movie was shot on 35 mm, so I'd assume it was originally 24 fps. For what it's worth here's what IMDB says about the run-time:

1 hr 31 min (91 min) (Germany)
1 hr 31 min (91 min) (Japan)
1 hr 28 min (88 min) (unrated) (USA)

The not rated Fortune Star Media / Tokyo Shock DVD I bought has a run-time of 1:32. Definitely different than the time listed on IMDB. Maybe just add a slowed MP3 for others with this edition?

That's the plan.  Thanks so much for the info.

Offline ephemeris

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #1762 on: August 15, 2014, 08:43:58 AM »
QuipTracks Mission Impossible II - Another solid QuipTracks riff starring Tristan, Tracy, and Kevin. Personally, I think the most enjoyable riffs are those that take on fun movies, but MI2 is of course joyless and formulaic. I say that to emphasize that the riff is pretty good despite the movie being so dreary.

I particularly liked the comments about the nonsensical plotting like it being perfectly believable that Tom Cruise carried super detailed disguises of all the bad guys with him, but it was hard to believe he carried custom made Tom Cruise masks for all of the bad guys as well. Anyway the guys make MI2 about as enjoyable as I think is possible.

On a different note, whatever happened to the QuipTracks riff of The Lost World: Jurassic Park? I can't find it here or on QuipTracks' website.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1763 on: August 22, 2014, 06:10:49 PM »
iJust Finished Watching the new RoninFox Trax riff of Freddy's Dead - Excellent, as RoninFox always is. I don't think this is my favorite NOES riff, but it's very good. A fitting riff to "end" this series. Their vocal performance is good. I noticed a seemingly larger number of extended riffs (more than just a line or two) than usual, which I like. And I'm always in favor of female riffers, to change it up a bit, and Vamperica does very well. Obviously because they are married in real life, Ronin and Vamperica have excellent chemistry together, and they use that a lot with plenty of interacting riffs.

I am surprised there is no comment on the two New Line Cinema executives cameos, though.

I find it ironic that one of the worst things about this movie is how they actually are trying new things. Some of which aren't necessarily bad ideas on paper in and of themselves (although often derivative of other movies). But nothing here makes sense in context of the series so far. So it just feels like they are throwing everything against the wall, using the excuse of "it's like a dream". And the less said about the lazy directorial execution the better.

The Tom Green sequel everyone asked for.

Wow, even back then The Rock was in everything.

"I don't like being touched!" - Except on the fist. She loves that.

Gambling on the survivors was great.

I loved the "dreams yip yip yip." bit.

I don't really get the "there goes the bra." running gag.

Seeing the world as one stoner's dream. That was truly Spencer's gift.

Oh, that was the house's nightmare.

I admit there are flaws in my plan.

It's as if Tool produced the introduction to Fraggle Rock.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2370
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #1764 on: August 23, 2014, 09:17:23 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it, it was the most fun I've had with NOES in awhile.  What was the other executive cameo?  I know Bob Shaye was the creepy guy in the ticket office, who else was in there?

I was a little worried the "There goes the bra" thing would get missed, but I couldn't help but point it out.  One of the townspeople in the background during the fair says...something that I couldn't only translate as "There goes the bra".  I listened to it over and over again and that was the only interpretation I could come up with.  Erica agreed, she couldn't think of anything else it could be.  Unfortunately I guess if you don't know to listen for it (if you don't watch the scene 50 times in order to write for it) then its easy to miss.

Erica will be very happy the "yip yip" line is appreciated, that was one of her improvised moments that I joined in on.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1765 on: August 23, 2014, 05:14:54 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it, it was the most fun I've had with NOES in awhile.  What was the other executive cameo?  I know Bob Shaye was the creepy guy in the ticket office, who else was in there?

I'm pretty sure the teacher in the empty classroom is one of the executives as well.

Erica will be very happy the "yip yip" line is appreciated, that was one of her improvised moments that I joined in on.
Those worm things always looked goofy to me. But comparing them to the Yip Yip aliens from Sesame Street is just soooo perfect! Their mouths really do look like those puppets.

What was the riff at the end, when the digital worm things are swimming around? Something about "they're eating [I forget the name]".

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2370
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #1766 on: August 24, 2014, 07:14:10 AM »

I'm pretty sure the teacher in the empty classroom is one of the executives as well.

Those worm things always looked goofy to me. But comparing them to the Yip Yip aliens from Sesame Street is just soooo perfect! Their mouths really do look like those puppets.

What was the riff at the end, when the digital worm things are swimming around? Something about "they're eating [I forget the name]".

A little Monty Python and the Meaning of Life.

http://youtu.be/j1kftCx5-tA
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1767 on: August 24, 2014, 08:22:26 PM »
I decided to watch the RoninFox riff of Batman again - A lot of fun. And you can really tell how much he knows and has affection for the character.

I noticed something this time about this riff. Why is their audio so echoey? It sounds like they are recording in a huge tin box. Does anybody else notice this, or is it just my speaker starting to crap out?

I still quite enjoy this movie, even though it has problems.
Isn't one of the criminals at the beginning supposed to be Paul Reubens? I know he's in the second one as Mr. Cobblepot, that's pretty noticeable. But I had heard he had an uncredited cameo here too.

I miss the bloopers at the end of RoninFox riffs. They are so much fun.

"Gotham city is synonymous with crime." - Good job everyone. *sniff* I'm so proud.

It's so retro, even the safe is wearing a fedora.

You've got cosplayers. There goes the city.

Jack wasn't nimble or quick enough.

"What is with that stupid grin?" - I just took some Enzyte.

"Grissom gave you all his businesses?" - Yes, including Novacorp. Finally Fingal will be mine!

(Vickie Vale screams) - Is that just how she talks?

"Let me tell you about a guy I know named Jack." - He went to get a pail of water, and then SHIT GOT REAL!

Ronin's long diatribe about Batman and how he's so great because he doesn't kill is great.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #1768 on: August 30, 2014, 04:55:49 PM »
Just finished RFT's Freddy's Dead, something I've been meaning to get to since the Ronin Fox Interview (HINT HINT: http://rifftrax.wikia.com/wiki/RiffWiki_Interviews:_James_Cruise_-_Ronin_Fox_Trax ) And WOW what a great time. Quite a few 10 lines, but the one that sticks out for me is I'VE GOT TO FIND DOC! I'VE GOT TO TELL HIM ABOUT THE FUTURE! The closing montage was excellent, as well.

Online fireyf

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 167
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
« Reply #1769 on: September 06, 2014, 09:20:26 AM »
I decided to watch the RoninFox riff of Batman again - A lot of fun. And you can really tell how much he knows and has affection for the character.

I noticed something this time about this riff. Why is their audio so echoey? It sounds like they are recording in a huge tin box. Does anybody else notice this, or is it just my speaker starting to crap out?

I still quite enjoy this movie, even though it has problems.
Isn't one of the criminals at the beginning supposed to be Paul Reubens? I know he's in the second one as Mr. Cobblepot, that's pretty noticeable. But I had heard he had an uncredited cameo here too.

I miss the bloopers at the end of RoninFox riffs. They are so much fun.

"Gotham city is synonymous with crime." - Good job everyone. *sniff* I'm so proud.

It's so retro, even the safe is wearing a fedora.

You've got cosplayers. There goes the city.

Jack wasn't nimble or quick enough.

"What is with that stupid grin?" - I just took some Enzyte.

"Grissom gave you all his businesses?" - Yes, including Novacorp. Finally Fingal will be mine!

(Vickie Vale screams) - Is that just how she talks?

"Let me tell you about a guy I know named Jack." - He went to get a pail of water, and then SHIT GOT REAL!

Ronin's long diatribe about Batman and how he's so great because he doesn't kill is great.
That was a good one.  I need to watch that again sometime.  We did our Batman riffs around the same time and I wouldn't have watched the movie again so soon if they're track wasn't out too.  In fact, a marathon of all the Batman movie riffs sounds good right about now.