Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 300133 times)

Offline latenet

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 21
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #1605 on: September 22, 2013, 12:24:01 AM »
Just watched Josh Way's shorts Volume 2.  Good.  Also picked up his Petrified World.  Which is directed by Jerry Warren, so it should be fun.  And Laser Mission.  Gonna watch Petrified World tonight.

You really can't go wrong with Josh Way.

Offline latenet

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #1606 on: September 22, 2013, 12:30:36 AM »
I'm glad you can take constructive criticism well. Unlike a certain Space Camper a while ago.
Riffing a short is often how groups start, to get into the hang of things. So hopefully that helps.

Also, if it helps with the breathing thing, after the second episode I just told my co-riffers not to breathe at all. At first they resisted, but lately they haven't complained much...

Seriously, though, my biggest recording problem is trying to get my riffers (okay... and myself) to stop whacking the table while we're recording. I'm constantly having to make the choice "Do I keep the first line read, which was very spontaneous and lively AND had a big *thump* right in the middle of it, or do I use one of these 3 a.m. re-dos, in which the recording is perfect but the riffer sounds like he's being forced to read a joke at gunpoint?"

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5192
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1607 on: September 25, 2013, 09:53:40 PM »
Cinester Theater iRiff of Forest Gump - A very good riff from Cinester Theater. Not their best, but still plenty of great lines throughout.
  I'm liking Brooks better as a riffer. He's still not as good as Keith or Shaun, but his voice is different enough from them so you can tell who is talking. They each have their own 'Forrest voice', which helps break it up since they do so many riffs as him. That monotone voice is similar to Schwarzenegger voice in other riffs where it would be easy to become VERY tedious if overused (I'm looking at you, Blame Society Productions). However they didn't let it bog them down. Although simply due to the movie being a drama it is not as fast paced or as fun as other tracks of theirs.
  I was hoping for more from Syncy snorting cocaine at the beginning. Also, I think this is the first of their riffs not to have outtakes at the end.
I definitely recommend this iRiff.

I haven't seen this movie since it came out in the theater, but I remember liking it. Watching it again, I thought it was okay, not great. I can see why some people really dump on it, though. It's an entire movie of that annoying talkative guy that sits next to you on the airplane. Forrest is just a really passive protagonist, and is a lot less interesting than I remember. And Jenny is just a really horrible person. Also, the CGI for the lip movements for some of the historical figures is AMAZINGLY bad.
  The only real emotional part that works well for me was when he asks about his child's intelligence. I really hate his nonsensical "stupid is as stupid does" phrase throughout the movie. But here he shows that he is well aware of his problem. And what it would mean for another child.
  So...the bus driver is immortal?!

"Those are some nice shoes."---Give them to me.

Stately Leatherface Manor.

I figure it'll be a lot easier to catch them with a machine gun.

Oh, and also I'm a remorseless killing machine. (One of the best uses of Forrest's emotionless voice)

By the way, would you like to take a breaf customer satisfaction survey?

Bye Velma from Scooby Doo.

Yeah, brand new. It's sinking. It's sinking right now.

Oh come on, there was hardly any chloroform on that rag.

Wait a minute. Jenny's gone.

Is that a Good Guy doll? (I like this because not only does the kid look like one, except the red hear of course, but Jenny's friend that drops him off plays the mother in Child's Play)

Offline poobah103

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 49
  • Sufficient Springs!
« Reply #1608 on: September 26, 2013, 09:22:46 AM »
Thanks for the review! Glad you enjoyed it.

Funny you should mention that about the bus driver being immortal. I have a theory that all movies secretly intersect with the "Highlander" universe, and thus sometimes feature characters who are actually Immortals, functioning as they would in society whenever another Immortal isn't around to distract them.

Examples of such characters are the Iceland coach from Mighty Ducks 2, Harry and Marv from Home Alone (in a rare Immortal team-up), Dewey from the "Scream" movies (my theory is that his "death" in the original triggered his immortality and rendered him unkillable for the remaining movies, despite the killers' best and repeated efforts) and now the bus driver from Forrest Gump.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1609 on: September 26, 2013, 09:39:18 AM »
Dewey from the "Scream" movies (my theory is that his "death" in the original triggered his immortality and rendered him unkillable for the remaining movies, despite the killers' best and repeated efforts)
I like that idea, because it could mean the killer was really just trying to kill Dewey all that time, but just had ADD and kept getting distracted.

Offline pezdrake

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #1610 on: September 27, 2013, 11:40:14 AM »
You don't have to move, Mr Band I co-riff all the time and we are states apart.  IT was hilarious and I'd buy the full movie (although I am not sure it is PD - I think I looked into this one in the past).

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1611 on: September 29, 2013, 08:12:48 PM »
Count Dracula and His Vampire Brides by Ghosts On The Big Brown Couch - This was a pretty good riff. Much more like their Chandu part 7, than Scrooge.
  Intro is shorter than the Scrooge one, but still unfunny. And I think there were only a few jokes in it anyway, in a 4 and a half minute sketch! There is also a four and a half minute sketch at around 30 minutes in. I like that they did the equivelant of host segments, and the fact that it was animated they were able to different visuals than MST3K. The skit wasn't particularly funny though. And the concentration on the two actresses from the movies' tits seemed like a direct response to my complaints last time of their censoring the word tit. But I appreciate that they are doing something different than other iRiff groups.
  In the beginning of the movie the girls' vocal performances are rather stagey, not very natural sounding. Particularly in the beginning bit about Van Helsing and Twilight. They get much better as it goes along, and overall they are much better. The guy's voice is unfortunately monotone for a lot of it. He doesn't seem to put a lot of emphasis in his performance.
  I do like that they laugh at each other's jokes. They don't overdo it. And they also have a good amount of interaction between riffers. Riff density also is very good. If anything they talk over a little more of the dialog than other groups would have. It doesn't bother me, but I know some people are more annoyed by it.
  They seem to be really enjoying the freedom to go a little blue that this rated R movie allows them.

I would recommend this riff. Especially if you liked their Chandu riff. And if you like Hammer Horror movies (this isn't a good example of them per se, but liking this type of movie helps).

The movie itself was really boring. It felt like another movie entirely that they shoved Dracula into. He's barely in it, and their motivation doesn't really make any sense. It feels like they rushed last minute for something, any sort of explanation for why Dracula would be involved. Not to mention Dracula, king of the vampires, prince of darkness, being mostly done in by a thornbush.

Now it just looks like somebody got their vampire shaped kite stuck in a tree.

Lorena Bobbit, ladies and gentlemen.

I love the bit about Airborne.

So an enthusiastic amateur does some actual investigation, while inside a couple of professionals stand around and go "Hey, you got any evil in here?!"

Looks like she gets all damp in the whisker-biscuit just thinking about blood.

We now join One Tree Hill already in progress. But twenty years before they cut down the other three trees.

You know the ultimate irony? If he took two vampires and tied them together in the shape of a cross, not only would any other vampires in the area burn, but the two vampires strapped together would fucking hate it. (Okay, this is absolutely BRILLIANT! I want to see somebody do that in a movie now.)

Hey, it's Ed Wood's dentist!

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #1612 on: September 29, 2013, 08:51:50 PM »
You know the ultimate irony? If he took two vampires and tied them together in the shape of a cross, not only would any other vampires in the area burn, but the two vampires strapped together would fucking hate it. (Okay, this is absolutely BRILLIANT! I want to see somebody do that in a movie now.)

Ooooh, that's actually REALLY funny. I've been kicking an idea for a vampire story around for my webcomic for a little bit. Would you GOTBBC guys mind if that made its way into it? I wouldn't promise that it would, but boy it'd be a funny visual, one I really want to draw.

Offline NosferatusCoffin

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 64
    • Cinemasochism
« Reply #1613 on: September 30, 2013, 06:55:50 PM »
Hmmm, maybe I will shelve our "The Satanic Rites of Dracula" (the theatrical release name of the movie) project for now. Esepcially, as I have not gotten very far into it anyway. I have gotten so far behind on everything else, I might just put this one on the back burner, or do a different Hammer Drac movie. I have gone over all of them again recently, and there is plenty of riff material in all of them.

I will try to get this iRiff in the near future, as this Hammer movie is one of the most ridiculous of them all.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:57:43 PM by NosferatusCoffin »
Catch us on Cinemamsochism:
http://www.cinemasochism.com/

Catch us on iRiffs:
http://www.rifftrax.com/search/apachesolr_search/cinemasochism

"Diplomats. The best diplomat I know of is a fully loaded phaser bank." - Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott

Offline latenet

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #1614 on: October 01, 2013, 12:10:14 AM »

Ooooh, that's actually REALLY funny. I've been kicking an idea for a vampire story around for my webcomic for a little bit. Would you GOTBBC guys mind if that made its way into it? I wouldn't promise that it would, but boy it'd be a funny visual, one I really want to draw.

Feel free to use that. I do writing outside of the riffs, including some other forms of humor, but I'm 99.98% certain that I'll never need the "vampire cross" bit for anything else. For one thing, I never write about vampires. Now, zombies...

Offline latenet

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #1615 on: October 01, 2013, 12:53:25 AM »
Intro is shorter than the Scrooge one, but still unfunny. And I think there were only a few jokes in it anyway, in a 4 and a half minute sketch! There is also a four and a half minute sketch at around 30 minutes in. I like that they did the equivalent of host segments, and the fact that it was animated they were able to different visuals than MST3K. The skit wasn't particularly funny though.

Our host segment style is pretty much down at this point. It has its fans, and it has its... non-fans? Detractors? Anyhoo, it's a delicate balance between straightforward jokes and more character-driven moments. I like each intro to basically settle the viewer into the film along with the characters. I want them to be likable, and just slightly less wacky than the old MST3K style (which was brilliant, and with which I'd be crazy to try to compete).

The first episode had an intro of about 13 minutes (trimmed slightly for its repackaging this week), mainly because it had to introduce the characters (our premise is probably the most complicated one out there). Then we cut back to about 8 minutes, and then finally about five for this last episode. Just enough time to say howdy to the characters and put in a few words about the film that will be riffed.

I want to keep these intro/intermission/epilogues fun, but I'm also making sure that they are short enough that they're easy to scan through for viewers who aren't interested (and don't inflate the file size much at all). Of course, if someone skips through these bits he (or she) can miss out on some cool guest performers.

In the beginning of the movie the girls' vocal performances are rather stagey, not very natural sounding. Particularly in the beginning bit about Van Helsing and Twilight. They get much better as it goes along, and overall they are much better. The guy's voice is unfortunately monotone for a lot of it. He doesn't seem to put a lot of emphasis in his performance.

I'm the monotone guy. My style definitely leans more toward Joel Hodgson than to Mike Nelson (and for pretty much the same reasons/cultural backgrounds). I hope to improve with practice. On the other hand, a lot of it is a definite stylistic choice. Also, no one else in the group can scream like a girl like me... and the other three are girls.  ;D

I do like that they laugh at each other's jokes. They don't overdo it. And they also have a good amount of interaction between riffers. Riff density also is very good. If anything they talk over a little more of the dialog than other groups would have. It doesn't bother me, but I know some people are more annoyed by it.

I try to use the earliest (acceptable) recordings that I can, because I definitely want to get the bit in which we're still laughing at the jokes/performances. There's nothing more lifeless (to me, anyway) than a riff in which performers aren't reacting to each other's work.

I would recommend this riff. Especially if you liked their Chandu riff. And if you like Hammer Horror movies (this isn't a good example of them per se, but liking this type of movie helps).

Glad you enjoyed it (for the most part). We consider it our best episode so far. Mind you, we thought our riff of AIR COLLISION was freaking hilarious, but that one's an audio track, so it requires a bit more work from viewers who don't already have a copy of the film lying around.

Now it just looks like somebody got their vampire shaped kite stuck in a tree.

Lorena Bobbit, ladies and gentlemen.

I love the bit about Airborne.

So an enthusiastic amateur does some actual investigation, while inside a couple of professionals stand around and go "Hey, you got any evil in here?!"

Looks like she gets all damp in the whisker-biscuit just thinking about blood.

We now join One Tree Hill already in progress. But twenty years before they cut down the other three trees.

Hey, it's Ed Wood's dentist!

Offline latenet

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #1616 on: October 01, 2013, 12:55:58 AM »
Hmmm, maybe I will shelve our "The Satanic Rites of Dracula" (the theatrical release name of the movie) project for now. Especially, as I have not gotten very far into it anyway. I have gotten so far behind on everything else, I might just put this one on the back burner, or do a different Hammer Drac movie. I have gone over all of them again recently, and there is plenty of riff material in all of them.

I will try to get this iRiff in the near future, as this Hammer movie is one of the most ridiculous of them all.

I hope to see your approach to this film someday. I like watching multiple riff groups doing the same film (even if watching movies like this one repeatedly makes me feel like a masochist).  :gouge:

Offline fireyf

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 162
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
« Reply #1617 on: October 05, 2013, 09:36:59 PM »
Cinester Theater's Forrest Gump.  You guys had me from the Quantum Leap bit at the begining.  One of my favorite shows.  Somehow you even managed to make the sad parts funny.  This must have been a challenging movie to riff but you guys pulled it off brilliantly.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1618 on: October 05, 2013, 09:55:06 PM »
Cinester Theater's Forrest Gump.  You guys had me from the Quantum Leap bit at the begining.  One of my favorite shows.  Somehow you even managed to make the sad parts funny.  This must have been a challenging movie to riff but you guys pulled it off brilliantly.
I loved that show too. I particularly like their reference to it in Back to the Future 3.

Offline poobah103

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 49
  • Sufficient Springs!
« Reply #1619 on: October 06, 2013, 07:52:57 PM »
I'm a big fan of Quantum Leap, but it has one of the saddest finales I've ever seen. I don't want to spoil it if folks haven't seen it, but damn, they manage to break my heart with just six little words. I think I was supposed to find it somehow hopeful or uplifting, but NOPE. Super sad.