login

Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 305414 times)

Offline ElegantButler

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 13
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #1590 on: September 17, 2013, 09:25:20 PM »
I admit this wasn't very good. I'll probably take it down since it could use a bit of work. And I'll post a new and better one in the future.  I'm working on a short right now in hopes of improving my riffing skills. :)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5296
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1591 on: September 17, 2013, 09:35:39 PM »
I'm glad you can take constructive criticism well. Unlike a certain Space Camper a while ago.
Riffing a short is often how groups start, to get into the hang of things. So hopefully that helps.

Offline ElegantButler

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #1592 on: September 17, 2013, 10:34:31 PM »
I was actually thinking of doing an iRIFF of a really great video I found on YouTube of Max Headroom's interview with William Shatner from the old Max Talking Headroom Show.  I've managed to come up with about 11 jokes for the bit which is about 10 minutes long. Thoughts?

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2370
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #1593 on: September 18, 2013, 12:01:35 AM »
I was actually thinking of doing an iRIFF of a really great video I found on YouTube of Max Headroom's interview with William Shatner from the old Max Talking Headroom Show.  I've managed to come up with about 11 jokes for the bit which is about 10 minutes long. Thoughts?

That might work for an interview, since there's not going to be a lot of time between talking, but it's still pretty light.  I usually don't think in terms of jokes per minute, but just over 1 per minute seems low to me.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline ElegantButler

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #1594 on: September 18, 2013, 10:18:39 AM »
Well, I went over the interview and the iRiff script and managed to find a few other locations that were good for riffing. So I've added six new ones. It's amazing what you can do with a little sleep and a bit of editing. :)

Offline MPF

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #1595 on: September 18, 2013, 11:08:50 AM »
Yeah, one a minute feels super light to me - Team Swizzlebeef have a little...er...script... for our scripts that let us know if we:

1) Have more than 30 seconds without a riff
2) Have less than 5 seconds between riffs

I think our only real "rules" are "don't stop on the movie's dialog unless it's REALLY boring (or your joke is completely killer)" and "dead space always sounds a whole lot longer than it actually is". Also "putting nutmeg in your coffee always sounds like a good idea right up until you drink it."

Okay. We don't really follow that last one.
"My Anti-Drug is Swizzlebeef."

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1497
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #1596 on: September 18, 2013, 01:03:36 PM »
Yeah, one a minute feels super light to me - Team Swizzlebeef have a little...er...script... for our scripts that let us know if we:

1) Have more than 30 seconds without a riff
2) Have less than 5 seconds between riffs

I think our only real "rules" are "don't stop on the movie's dialog unless it's REALLY boring (or your joke is completely killer)" and "dead space always sounds a whole lot longer than it actually is". Also "putting nutmeg in your coffee always sounds like a good idea right up until you drink it."

Okay. We don't really follow that last one.

You forgot Rule 3: Obey the Panda.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1597 on: September 18, 2013, 01:22:59 PM »
"dead space always sounds a whole lot longer than it actually is"
I COMPLETELY agree with this one!

Offline NosferatusCoffin

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 64
    • Cinemasochism
« Reply #1598 on: September 18, 2013, 04:42:23 PM »
I recommend one riff every 8-10 seconds, on average. Granted, if it the movie/short is VERY talky, you might need to alter that some, since it is best to pick your spots with narrators and the like who never shut up.

And if there is a lot of action going on at a certain moment (MITCHELL!!-like), then it does not hurt to stuff a bunch of them into a very short time span. Ala the "BIFF's" and "POW's" from a Batman episode.

And yes, I generally recommend that if you are starting out with riffing, start with a short. There are an endless supply of them out there on Archive.org and YouTube to get the ball rolling. Consider it training camp before the season starts.
Catch us on Cinemamsochism:
http://www.cinemasochism.com/

Catch us on iRiffs:
http://www.rifftrax.com/search/apachesolr_search/cinemasochism

"Diplomats. The best diplomat I know of is a fully loaded phaser bank." - Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #1599 on: September 18, 2013, 10:10:23 PM »
Laser Mission by Josh Way, enjoyed it.  Petrified World was a bit tougher.  Josh did great, nut the movie was just soooo bad.

Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline SJP

• Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #1600 on: September 19, 2013, 03:16:17 PM »
Just watched this again, which I had thought long since lost to the ravages of time...but thankfully, was not.  Couldn't even find it doing a forum search, even though I know it was posted on here before, and just figured I'd put it somewhere it could be easily found...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ByV8ylZlNdE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ByV8ylZlNdE</a>

I don't know how well this would translate to the film at large, but dammit, I love this trailer riff so much.

Don't want to give too much away for those who haven't seen it before, but...TEENAGE MUDDAH!
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1601 on: September 19, 2013, 05:01:54 PM »
That was really good riffing!

"She was also a part time car matador."

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #1602 on: September 19, 2013, 07:44:05 PM »
Just watched this again, which I had thought long since lost to the ravages of time...but thankfully, was not.  Couldn't even find it doing a forum search, even though I know it was posted on here before, and just figured I'd put it somewhere it could be easily found...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ByV8ylZlNdE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ByV8ylZlNdE</a>

I don't know how well this would translate to the film at large, but dammit, I love this trailer riff so much.

Don't want to give too much away for those who haven't seen it before, but...TEENAGE MUDDAH!

I first watched this on a public library computer and I had to hold in my laughter. Which was NOT EASY.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4431
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #1603 on: September 19, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »
Thanks for the compliments.  Watching it again, I'm pleased how well it holds up.  I forgot about the line "Pregnant Velma".  That made me laugh pretty hard.  If I ever move to Toronto, me and Keith will have to do another one.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #1604 on: September 20, 2013, 02:40:59 PM »
That's awesome.

Opticians are easy on the eyes