Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 337655 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #1470 on: May 12, 2013, 08:52:42 PM »
Return of Chandu part 6 by Rabbit Ears - Good. Not great, the vocal performance varies a lot. Sometimes it's rather flat, sometimes it's pretty good.
  Yes, the riffs do go over A LOT of the dialog. Given that this is so far into the serial and everything (including the formula) is already established, I was okay with it. But to each their own. Personally, it just means there isn't as many riffs going off the dialog.
  Hey, a live action intro segment! Cool. Reminds me of the Quiptracks: The Show bits. This doesn't really go anywhere at the beginning, though. And at the end, it feels like maybe a reference I would get if I had seen more of their riffs, perhaps? I just kind of shrigged at it. The room is clearly very echoey, though. And the proportion is off, which is annoying (although the serial is fine). The quality of the recording on the woman's lines is not as good as the two guys for some reason.

Her Queen Amidala acting classes have been paying off. (Was it intentional that this riff about her bad acting, itself was particularly badly acted? And she has an excuse, she's supposed to be under hypnosis. What's yours?)

Colonel Mustard, noooooo!

Singing the "Ring of Fire" song in Bela Legosi voice was great.

WHEEL. OF. FORTUNE.          FORTUNE. OF. WHEEL.

Of all things to recap in this serial, why remind us of how stupidly the main characters got duped into being captured?
  The riot fight at the beginning was, for want of a better word, a riot. I do love in these old serials that either they don't have fight choreographers, or just choose to not bother. Resulting in kindergarden melee mayhem!
  So she wasn't kidnapped, or rescued in this one...really NOTHING happened. And that's even in comparison to the other parts, nothing fucking happened!

Offline Rabbit Ears

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #1471 on: May 13, 2013, 08:27:28 AM »
The craziest part of Chapter 6 is when the characters are in the most danger, THEY JUST STAND THERE.  Not just for one little sequence, but for like 2 whole minutes!  That was crazy.  So I'm sure that's also how chapter 7 will start off. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1472 on: May 13, 2013, 07:44:03 PM »
Return of Chandu part 7 by The Ghosts on the Big Brown Couch - Wow, what an improvement to their last riff I watched of theirs. Funny across the board! I was nervous about this one, since I hadn't liked their Scrooge riff. I didn't want the streak of good riffs on this serial to be broken, and I don't really like posting negative things on this forum thread.
I am curious, people who have watched more of TGOTBBC riffs, are their others more like this one?
  Good vocal performance all aroud. I really like the amount of interaction between the riffers here.
  The animated segments before and after are better than the ones in Scrooge. But they still seem rather superfluous and aren't particularly funny. Considering the time it takes to make animation (even flash animation), I'm surprised they went to such effort. That being said, I do appreaciate the effort, and I really like that it makes this group stand out and unique in some way.

"Maybe Maria Alba was the Jessica Alba of her time?" "Unable to carry a film but looked good in tight clothing?" "Exactly."

Chandu! Man of action!

Well, one way or another, Can'tDo here is gonna help us survive. Who wants white meat?

And in the spirit of adventure, Chandu books it in the other direction.

Nothing. Why did it have to be nothing?

Okay, seriously Bela, what is with the standing around! This part spends several minutes reminding us how you didn't do fuck all last time. Did you try to stage a one man strike to get more pay, and they just decided to film it?
  Now Chandu isn't standing around. He has really changed it up by being unconscious, wandering in the woods, and running away from danger. Oh well, Bob got captured. He's pretty womany, it's close enough.
Hey, Chandu got captured! Sorry, but not going to count that as "doing something" for this segment.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1473 on: May 13, 2013, 08:06:40 PM »
I watched the free riff of Your Thrift Habits by RiffRoll (found here)
This was pretty good. Not too much variety in voices, but this short didn't really call for it.

But then the credit card was invented. So, screw the whole thing.

Well hot shit! I'm just so darn happy I could puke sunshine.

Well, I'll remember that I have a perfectly good camera and watch on my phone. So, you know, eat it 1948.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1474 on: May 13, 2013, 08:59:01 PM »
Part 1 of The Night The World Exploded by Scott Zee - Excellent riffing, as always, by the marvelous Scott Zee! And this is much more the kind of movie I like to see riffed. It's definitely something I could see MST3K having done. I liked the riffing from the Death Rage, but mobster/assasin/whatever just isn't a genre I care for much. This, on the other hand, has sciency gadgets (although they don't smoke or shoot sparks) and squarejawed male scientist know-it-all.
I highly recommend this riff!

Yes, the earthquake predicting pressure photometer. Patented Oompa Loompa Technologies 1956.

And slip, flop, crunch!

Offline fireyf

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 179
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
« Reply #1475 on: May 14, 2013, 08:20:43 PM »
Chandu Chapter 7 by Ghosts on the Big Brown Couch.  Very well done guys.

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #1476 on: May 21, 2013, 10:42:44 PM »
I'm not good at reviews, but Quiptracks' Godzilla was excellent. I had only watched their VOD and Airbender riffs, and they both impressed me, so I've been meaning to watch more. Glad I finally did. Had a few set backs with the reauthor though. First, there was no text file for this one, so I had to figure out how much to cut off the beginning on my own. Then my first burn messed up around the 1:45 mark, so I had to re-burn at a lower rate just to watch the last half hour.

As per usual, I don't remember many specific lines, but the "Bell hop of one" line tickled me just right.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #1477 on: May 26, 2013, 12:37:26 PM »
Wizard of Oz by Ronin Fox. Stellar!

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #1478 on: May 26, 2013, 03:59:09 PM »
Caretaker by Ice on Mars was really fun, too.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1479 on: May 26, 2013, 04:02:16 PM »
All their Voyage riffs were good. Try their Day of the Trifids VOD. I liked that one too.

Offline Rabbit Ears

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #1480 on: May 27, 2013, 06:58:49 PM »
Rabbit Ears has just lowered the price of our pilot endeavor to 75 cents (the Rifftrax minimum).  We're looking for opinions...help us make our riffs better. :)

Offline Moca Java

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #1481 on: May 30, 2013, 04:05:15 PM »
Going to buy Girls Just Want to Have Fun, but I realized I may have ruined myself for it because in the preview video I recognized a certain actor...Lee Montgomery, who played Wings Hauser's brother in Mutant. Now every time I see him on screen I'll expect to hear Miiiiiiiiike.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1482 on: June 04, 2013, 05:50:05 PM »
I'm not good at reviews, but Quiptracks' Godzilla was excellent. I had only watched their VOD and Airbender riffs, and they both impressed me, so I've been meaning to watch more. Glad I finally did. Had a few set backs with the reauthor though. First, there was no text file for this one, so I had to figure out how much to cut off the beginning on my own. Then my first burn messed up around the 1:45 mark, so I had to re-burn at a lower rate just to watch the last half hour.

As per usual, I don't remember many specific lines, but the "Bell hop of one" line tickled me just right.
Tried any more Quiptracks lately? I highly recommend the riff of HULK.

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #1483 on: June 04, 2013, 05:53:35 PM »

Tried any more Quiptracks lately? I highly recommend the riff of HULK.

I've been pretty busy with work (someone went on vacation at my day job so I ended up with a lot more hours last week) so not yet. However, I'm on day-vacation next week, so I plan on re-authoring Signs and probably the two Jurassic Park riffs, since I have all those DVDs around here.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1484 on: June 04, 2013, 05:59:07 PM »
Cool. Signs is excellent. Particularly their running gag of riffs in alien voices.