Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 305402 times)

Offline fireyf

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 167
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #1410 on: April 02, 2013, 06:09:52 PM »
I am guilty of waiting too long to get started.  Then I got down to the last few days, thinking my work schedule allowed me plenty of time to record.  Then I got called in early two days in a row, and ended up doing 98% of the recording on Easter.  Admittedly, by the time I was done I realized had plenty of time to record more slowly and do more takes but by then I had the whole thing put together and rendered.  Let this be a lesson to my fellow riffers; don't let yourself get down to the wire when you have a deadline.  This riff suffered primarily due to my own procrastination.  And I agree, chapter 1 was booooring and hard to get excited about.
My promise to all of you, I am taking my sweet time on Terminator 2.  I want it to be my best work yet, making the Incredible Hulk look like a lecture on String Theory vs Quantum Loop Gravity (I'm watching Big Bang Theory right now).

*edit*
Actually, in the first Chandu serial Lugosi was the bad guy and someone else played Chandu.  Must have been weird for the people who had seen the first serial.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 06:57:50 PM by fireyf »

Offline Rick (of Ralph and)

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 10
  • Where does the time go?
    • Ralph and Rick resent...
« Reply #1411 on: April 02, 2013, 09:59:08 PM »
Never having seen the original Chandu adventure, I propose that the villain of that story  >:D absorbed the hero's powers and stole his life. Heck, maybe the good Chandu is trapped inside the other one's head, forced to watch helplessly  :speechless: as evil Chandu snuggles with the unsuspecting princess.

It actually makes this serial somewhat more interesting, if a heck a lot of darker.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5296
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1412 on: April 07, 2013, 02:57:04 PM »
Insert Coin(s) To Continue riff of How The Grinch Stole Christmas - I liked it, plenty of good riffs. I had similar issues with their Dracula riff, though, not enough energy in the voice. He did a good job with the few singing riffs here, I liked that. I would definitely recommend it, especially since the short is so watchable on it's own, and he doesn't really disparage it.

By the way, I love the intro music! It should, however, end BEFORE you start talking. Having the guitar squeeling while trying to listen to your instructions is very annoying.

The "Christmas being a children Darwinian test" line was great.

Except for Ebenezer Whooge.

Before stealing Christmas, he stole the laws of physics.

There was a factory recall after that Skellington incident.

I won't spoil it, but AWESOME song he plays when Grinch is listening near the end! Probably biggest laugh in the whole thing.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1413 on: April 07, 2013, 04:09:12 PM »
Drawback Productions riff of Highway To Heaven episode "The Torch" (a bonus when purchesing their Die Hard 2 riff) - This was really good! I remember liking their Girls Just Want To Have Fun riff a lot as well. Good vocal performance, they both have plenty of range, and chemistry together (natural for a husband wife team). I recommend their riffs, although the show they are riffing is the cinematic equivelant of ambien, keep that in mind.
What happens when the television equivelant of tapioca pudding tries to get edgy? People die! Not anybody important to the series, of course. That would just be silly. No, people we've just met die. And Michael Landon cries (I never saw it coming).
Also, apparently the opening credits to this show ENCOURAGE hitchhiking!

Help me, I'm lost in the furniture maze.

Because they won't understand my midwestern drawl. (performance on the confused accent was the best part of this)

It's a bad turnout for that fireplace's funeral.

Highway to Atheism!

Let me test out his new heart by startling him awake.

Would you accept falling back-asswards into justice?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1414 on: April 07, 2013, 06:02:49 PM »
Part 2 of Return of Chandu serial, by Toast and Rice - This one was really good. I've liked everything I've seen by Toast and Rice so far. Even though this is just a single person riffer (so is he toast, or rice?), and doesn't have the benefit of banter, there is enough variety in voices and performance to make it enjoyable. Also, there is a good joke density here. No slow spots.

So they are just going to SHOW the last five minutes of the previous segment?! Not even a montage? That is lazy and cheap, even for these crappy old seriels. Oh well, at least it means I get to see John Leguizamo shot again.
I should probably give this seriel some credit for actually waiting till the secend chapter before having the girl kidnapped.
There is more happening in this segment than in the last one, which is an improvement. Although I am sure they are waiting till a later part to reveal Bela Legosi is evil. He is evil, right? He's Bela FUCKING Legosi! Hiring him and not making him the bad guy would be like like hiring Malcolm McDowell in a slasher movie as a good guy!

Himm & Sackin. SOunds like a law firm in a vaudville routine.

Are you sure Colonel Mustard wasn't involved?

"One of those darts." - Which have poison on them, braintrust.

It looks like Sigmond the Sea Monster exploded.

I did love the straight up laughter at the silly cats on the cult leaders' robes.

It looks like they're going to do a puppet show.

I loved all the riffs about how incompetant they are at bodyguards.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1415 on: April 07, 2013, 07:15:20 PM »
Watched the Pearl of the Orient riff by RoninFox Trax - This was a ton of fun. A little slow at the beginning and end when the narrator wasn't going on about Coca Cola, but that's pretty minor. This was great. Very much in the same vein as MST3Ks Assignment Venezuela. This is a single riffer track, so he doesn't have the advantage of banter, but still does a very good job here. Highly recommended!
I will say the volume on the short is a little low compared to the riffs. But due to the sound quality of the short, it probably wouldn't have helped make the dialog clearer.

With the invention of the foot guillotine, the little town from Footloose was able to destroy the threat of Kevin Bacon.

Live Bob Fosse worshipers!

"The island of Negros." - Woh. Bear with me, I don't think I'm allowed to make jokes about this island.

The actual syrup depositing must happen off camera to avoid an NC17 rating.

Thanks. Good to see Scorponok getting honest work these days.

Yes, thanks for this music to serve spagetti to dogs to.

Guys, you're supposed to walk out of the corn maze. This is cheating.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1416 on: April 07, 2013, 08:46:07 PM »
And another RoninFox Trax. This time He-Man and She-Ra Christmas Special - Another really good RoninFox riff. I particularly liked his Skeletor impression. Highly recommended.

Note: I couldn't find this on Netflix, so had to watch it on Youtube here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh4kIiH3Sm8
I didn't have any problem with the syncing.

Can. You. Tell. I'm. Going. Through. Puberty.

Do you regularly design equipement that runs on unavailable material?

So these character designs are from the show aimed towards girls?

I think this song is called 'Merry Thesaurus'.

Kids, can't afford Transformers, and Go-Bots just aren't lame enough? You're in luck!

What's this? What's this? There's white things in the air.

We found a way to send the little guys home. Hold your breath kids.

Offline fireyf

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 167
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
« Reply #1417 on: April 09, 2013, 10:53:12 AM »
Toast and Rice's The Return of Chandu Chapter 2.

First, kudos on quality control.  Audio and picture right up to par.  I love that the riff was a big WTF at the whole thing.  The cat bit was great.  Got to say having kitty cats as your cult mascot is not all that imposing.  From inept criminals to inept "body guards" this serial is pretty absurd.  I liked the way you made getting a mummy picked up at your house sound like a normal every day occurrence.  Well done.  Can't wait for chapter 3.

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2370
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #1418 on: April 09, 2013, 06:59:09 PM »
Thanks Darth, good to hear those two still get some play.  I really need to do some more shorts.  Erica and I are talking about sprinkling in some single riffer shorts for both of us since recording together is sometimes hard to find time for.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 479
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #1419 on: April 11, 2013, 12:25:55 AM »
I finally got around to watching RoninFox's Masters of the Universe. I actually bought the riff ages ago, I just didn't get a hold of a copy of the movie that synced up with it until this week. I loved the stuff about Strictland cocking his shotgun over and over. And it was great to finally get to hear Anais.

I also watched One Wall Cinema's The Shadow again yesterday. Pretty good. Not as good as GI Joe, but they were obviously having a lot of fun with it.

I think I'll try Krull next since I already own that movie.
EDIT: Just bought RF's The Last Unicorn riff instead. I've been wanting an excuse to see that movie again.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1420 on: April 12, 2013, 06:17:32 PM »
Zardoz, by FilmRoasters - Uhhhhhhhh...the HELL?! First time I've ever watched Zardoz, although I'd heard of it's imfamy of course. As someone who doesn't like art films, it was just clearly trying to be meaningful, but failed in all regards. It didn't help that it looked expensive and cheap at the same time.

The riff wasn't that impressive. This movie is so EPICLY wierd, it lends itself to riffing very well. But this feels improvised, and not in the complimentary way. Way too many bland spots, obvious or half formed riffs. Sure there are quite a few really good riffs spread throughout, but not enough for me to recommend this unfortunately.

I don't think that the absnece of an intro helped at all. I ended up having to just sync it up with the first few lines of Zardoz's speach anyways. Also, sync lines (of some sort) are needed for a reason. I didn't happen to have a problem, but I can see others having issues. And you certainly can't stop and restart the movie that way.

This is the worst metal video I've ever seen.

"Go forth and kill."--With our penises.

Maybe he's born with it. maybe it's Maybeline.

Laugh, damn you!

OH, that does it. Oh yeah!

Do I have to wear these red shorts the whole movie? No, you get a costume change.

You don't wear deoderant long enough, you can do this.

Offline mikelesq

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 73
    • toastandrice.com
« Reply #1421 on: April 13, 2013, 02:08:05 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback on Chandu Chapter 2 everyone.

He is evil, right? He's Bela FUCKING Legosi! Hiring him and not making him the bad guy would be like like hiring Malcolm McDowell in a slasher movie as a good guy!

Ahem.  Shamelessplug.

Offline Ralph64

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 6
  • Raising awareness about Man Ray since 2010.
    • ralphandrick.com
« Reply #1422 on: April 14, 2013, 01:35:04 PM »
Loved Time After Time.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1497
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #1423 on: April 15, 2013, 09:35:08 AM »
Chandu Chapter 3 by Team Swizzlebeef.

I snarfed my coffee out my nose while watching it this morning. Damn you SWIZZLEBEEFERS!

Really hilarious job.  Might have had a few too many sound effects, but they were hilarious.  (I'm not against them as we occasionally use them in our riffs)

So many great lines.

"Bleh"
The "Over the river" song bit
"Oh the turbanity!"
Cloned Yogis.

Seriously. Go buy this.

Offline MPF

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #1424 on: April 15, 2013, 09:39:32 AM »
Thanks! This was our first venture into the world of sound effects (at least in an iRiff. I use them all the time when I'm just walking around and stuff) - glad you liked it!
"My Anti-Drug is Swizzlebeef."