Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 300119 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5192
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #1380 on: January 13, 2013, 05:02:16 PM »
Riffman For Hire's iRiff of Paycheck. A 2003 Ben Affleck action movie directed by John Woo. Yeah, this one is riffable.
  First, I like that there is MP3 files for both the NTSC and PAL versions, with sync time text document, as well as a seperate file for the outtakes, and the Paycheck riff poster as well as the main Riffman For Hire poster. Good amount of content, all in the same ZIP you download.
  Unfortunately, the riff itself was sadly rather lackluster. Performance is a little flat a lot, although it does have times where it is better. There were some really good riffs, but a lot of them just seemed to be rather obvious and could have been thought out a little more to be more clever.
  I think he would benefit from a second riffer to give more variety. Both in writing and as a riffer in the recording.
  I could have sworn that I had seen another riff by Riffman For Hire that I liked a lot, but I'm apparently mistaken. I do have Alien 3 that I will watch soon.

Glasses make me look smart.

Selections from the Dukes of Hazard soundtrack.

Masingil. For when your pussy smells like a dead fish.

Paycheck would like to remind you that, yes, watching this movie is a waste of time.

Yay! I won a fortune cookie!

He either needs glasses or a howitzer.

More testosterone than a Walter Hill film. Or is that Benny Hill?

Offline Riffman for Hire

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 98
  • I'm in the riffing business.
« Reply #1381 on: January 13, 2013, 08:38:18 PM »
Riffman For Hire's iRiff of Paycheck. A 2003 Ben Affleck action movie directed by John Woo. Yeah, this one is riffable.
  First, I like that there is MP3 files for both the NTSC and PAL versions, with sync time text document, as well as a seperate file for the outtakes, and the Paycheck riff poster as well as the main Riffman For Hire poster. Good amount of content, all in the same ZIP you download.
  Unfortunately, the riff itself was sadly rather lackluster. Performance is a little flat a lot, although it does have times where it is better. There were some really good riffs, but a lot of them just seemed to be rather obvious and could have been thought out a little more to be more clever.
  I think he would benefit from a second riffer to give more variety. Both in writing and as a riffer in the recording.
  I could have sworn that I had seen another riff by Riffman For Hire that I liked a lot, but I'm apparently mistaken. I do have Alien 3 that I will watch soon.

Glasses make me look smart.

Selections from the Dukes of Hazard soundtrack.

Masingil. For when your pussy smells like a dead fish.

Paycheck would like to remind you that, yes, watching this movie is a waste of time.

Yay! I won a fortune cookie!

He either needs glasses or a howitzer.

More testosterone than a Walter Hill film. Or is that Benny Hill?

Thank you for your constructive criticism on my iriff.  I appreciate the feedback and I agree with your assessment.  A lack of a second riffer really hurts me.  I think if I got another riffer to write jokes with and say "this is funny, that isn't", it would really help me a lot.  Plus there would be the extra energy of interacting with a second person.  As someone else said, solo riffing is brutal.  Unfortunately, I don't have any friends or acquaintances who'd do riffs, so I'm alone for now.

Looking back, I think I could've benefited from some more revisions of the jokes, more retakes and energetic readings.  Further, I believe towards the middle of the film I was really starting to get burnt out, so I went for the easy jokes.  If I were to do it all over again, I'm not sure I would choose Paycheck.  Though the movie is highly riffable, I find it was also a real slog to get through--almost as bad as Alien 3--and that affected my performance negatively.  And at least Alien 3 had the virtue of trying to be good instead of bland.

Also, how was sound quality?  Did the riff sync up well?  Were any lines off?

Again thank you for your input.  I hope that you enjoy Alien 3 more.

And SAPPTrax Terminator riff was really good, but I don't think they're doing any more.  It's a shame too.  I would gladly buy more of their riffs.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 08:41:01 PM by Riffman for Hire »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1382 on: January 13, 2013, 08:57:19 PM »
You're welcome Riffman (I hear that in my head like Duffman from the Simpsons). It is a shame you can't get a second riffer with you. As for writing, maybe doing a submissions track might help.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1383 on: January 26, 2013, 08:42:49 PM »
Scrooge (1935) by The Ghosts on The Big Brown Couch - Very unimpressed, unfortunately. The vocal performances are decent. And I appreciated having a female riffer. But that's about as positive a statement as I can give.
  The riffs themselves were pretty lackluster. I was only able to get through about 24 minutes of the riffing before I turned it off, and I had only laughed maybe two or three times. So far that's only the second riff I've turned off (although this was better than Space Camp).
  And it also has periods of long silence between riffs. Trying WAY too hard to adhere to the rule "don't riff over dialog". It's even sillier here, given that we're all familiar with the story, and have even heard a lot of the same dialog in other adaptations.
  I have said this before, and I will say it again, you CAN riff over dialog if it is not plot or character dependant enough to get the viewer lost. Yes, there is such a thing as too much talking over dialog. But certainly don't let large patches of the movie go by without a peep from the riffer when the viewer is sitting down with the intent to hear the riffs.
  The riffer premise is interesting, I'll give it that. But the odd thing about it is that "3 female ghosts living with a human male roommate" sounds like the setup for a bad, but raunchy, sitcom. Yet this is so squeeky clean. They bleep out "tit", for crying out loud. Who does that? Even Quiptracks will say a hell or a damn once in a while. I don't mind a riff that decides to keep from being blue, but it just...really?
  There is an 11 minute animated opening on this one that is not funny either. I won't rip on the animation, given that this is amateurs on the Internet, and I have seen worse. So I'll just say...make it funny next time.

As cheap as he is, Scrooge still sprung for a 19th sentury security system.

Are you familiar with the expression witches *beep* (Really? You bleeped out a riffer saying TIT? WTF.)

Let the bodies hit the ice! Let the bodies hit the ice! Let the bodies hit the ice!

Note: The elephant in the room is, of course, the Turkey Shoot riff of the same movie. I decidedly did not go into this one comparing them. Not only is Turkey Shoot one of the best of the best iRiffers, he has his own unique style (hard to describe, so much of it is in the vocal performance). So even if this had been really good, it would have been a different experience.

Offline Rabbit Ears

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #1384 on: February 21, 2013, 08:31:49 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has seen our latest VOD, "Sherlock Holmes and the Secret of Double Dating."  And if so, what did you think?  We're just getting started, so advice (good or bad) would be great! 

Offline NosferatusCoffin

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 64
    • Cinemasochism
« Reply #1385 on: February 22, 2013, 10:17:35 AM »
I watched the two Cinemasochism Halloween Safety shorts.

Halloween Safety 1977 - Just, kinda dull. I'm not just comparing it to the Hor-Riff-ic Productions riff either, since they are hard acts to follow. No, taken on it's own this riff is just..unimpressive. The vocal performance is rather flat. Not bad, per se, but not enough uniqueness and energy put into it.

Halloween Safety 1985 - Right from the very first two riffs, I can tell this is going to be a MUCH better performance. I wrote that last sentance only a few seconds into watching this (fully aware I might have to remove it). But fortunately I was right. This couldn't be more night and day difference in vocal performance and quality of riffing antertainment from the 1977 short he riffed last year! And remember, I didn't hate that one per se, it just didn't impress much. Here, we have plenty of different voices and emphesis, giving this an impressive amount of energy.

Thank Darth. Much appreciated.

I will say that the 1977 one was probably the weakest of the material that we have released so far. One reason why is that it was rushed to be released in time for Halloween. Plus, we had less lead time with chatroom run-throughs of it then we nornally do with other projects. So, it suffered because of that.

Though, I am fond a few riffs there:

- "Avoid jokes like, 'Why did Ted Bundy cross the road?'"
- "Yeah, but Larry Dallas is too stoned to care."
- "GAH! They turned her into a Klan baby!"

The 1985 was a much more thorough and well-developed project. For one thing, we had a good year of lead-in time to work with it. (originally both Halloween shorts were going to be released in 2011, but that did not work out, so only the 1977 one went out then). So, we had more run-throughs of it, more time to refine the material and maybe the biggest boost was having Coach join me in the actual riffing of it. (he is the one with the Texas drawl)  :P

He also helped me riff our election short from last November, "Tuesday in November" and his energy has added a lot to the CM project.

On the pauses, I did overtalk the narrator quite a bit, mainly because like some other narrators, he would not shut up for 3 seconds. Of course, in the Sharp calculator short, Coach totally trampled over the narrator. As he said, "It deserved to be trampled over."  :P

And one thing about these Halloween shorts. The mothers were a bit unqiue looking. The 1977 one looked like Steven Tyler after a rough night and the 1985 looked like Ava Devine at first glance. I even originally had an Ava riff for her in the first drafts.

Of course, nothing tops the endless parade of Mother Borgnine's in the 40's and 50's shorts.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:59:51 PM by NosferatusCoffin »
Catch us on Cinemamsochism:
http://www.cinemasochism.com/

Catch us on iRiffs:
http://www.rifftrax.com/search/apachesolr_search/cinemasochism

"Diplomats. The best diplomat I know of is a fully loaded phaser bank." - Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 114
    • Riff Cover Art
« Reply #1386 on: February 25, 2013, 03:39:13 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has seen our latest VOD, "Sherlock Holmes and the Secret of Double Dating."  And if so, what did you think?  We're just getting started, so advice (good or bad) would be great! 

I took a gander at your riff per your request good sir. I did thoroughly enjoy your riff. Great voices and well delivered. You guys definitely had me laughing out loud on a few occasions... which is saying a lot. I've gone through rifftrax's without laughing. So good job! I even laughed at a few of your skits and I thought your rabbit ear theme was awesome. A strong riff from beginning to end even though the sherlock holmes movie was pretty dry!

Criticisms: Did not care for the can laughter used on a couple occasions. IMO sound effects never work. I would have rather heard the riffers imitate the laughter which would have had a better effect. Puns were used sparingly... which is a good thing. In general, puns can kill a riff for me (however the quiptracks guys somehow had me laughing at their van helsing puns). Audio was excellent, however, the volume levels could use work. The sherlock movie was too quiet in contrast to the riffers. I would suggest bumping up the movie volume a few more db and then even out the dynamics of riffers. I say this, because when the riffers were shouting and being louder.... it was way too loud (to the point where distortion occurred). I'd recommend making sure you set recording levels to be able to handle your loudest riffs and then after recording run the riff through a program to even out the dynamics (make the quiet parts louder & the loud parts quieter). Also, I feel adding a bit more back and forth banter between the riffers would definitely raise the level of riff up by a notch. Just a suggestion.

Other than nitpicking technical stuff... really great effort! Definitely above average in my books

Offline Rabbit Ears

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #1387 on: February 25, 2013, 07:08:44 PM »
Thanks for the advice!  That's exactly what we needed!  :)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1388 on: March 02, 2013, 03:23:26 PM »
iJust watched Riffman For Hire's riff of Alien 3. The riffing wasn't any better than what I wrote earlier for Paycheck. And unfortunately it suffers much more from the movie being just so goddamn tedious. Also, the hatred towards the movie being so overt right from the beginning got annoying quickly. I understand why, don't get me wrong, this movie is aweful, and in a really slow drawn out way, but it made the "this movie sucks" jokes get very repetitious.
One thing I will give him a kudos on is that there is certainly plenty of riffs. He doesn't let any dead air go by. I appreciate that.
Ultimately, though, it comes down to the fact that I just didn't laugh that many times in this riff.

Ung! I dreamed I fell into Kim Kardashian's vagina.

Such. Rapid. Fire. Dialog.

Uh, The Borrowers are stealing your camera.

"What do you suggest we do?"---Pause frequently.

Unless it can spit and bleed acid.

We now interrupt our storyline to watch our characters watch TV.

Ripley wins "Worst Mother Ever' hands down.

Offline Riffman for Hire

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 98
  • I'm in the riffing business.
« Reply #1389 on: March 03, 2013, 04:59:41 AM »
iJust watched Riffman For Hire's riff of Alien 3. The riffing wasn't any better than what I wrote earlier for Paycheck. And unfortunately it suffers much more from the movie being just so goddamn tedious. Also, the hatred towards the movie being so overt right from the beginning got annoying quickly. I understand why, don't get me wrong, this movie is aweful, and in a really slow drawn out way, but it made the "this movie sucks" jokes get very repetitious.
One thing I will give him a kudos on is that there is certainly plenty of riffs. He doesn't let any dead air go by. I appreciate that.
Ultimately, though, it comes down to the fact that I just didn't laugh that many times in this riff.

Ung! I dreamed I fell into Kim Kardashian's vagina.

Such. Rapid. Fire. Dialog.

Uh, The Borrowers are stealing your camera.

"What do you suggest we do?"---Pause frequently.

Unless it can spit and bleed acid.

We now interrupt our storyline to watch our characters watch TV.

Ripley wins "Worst Mother Ever' hands down.

Thanks for watching and reviewing my Alien 3 riff.  I wish you had enjoyed it more.

In my defense, I will say that I think it's my best riff and Matt Nelson did say he thought it was pretty good, so maybe my riffing style just didn't click with you.  Humor is like that.

I flat out hate Alien 3 [no, really? :)] It just stopped the Alien franchise dead in its tracks and it's never recovered.  I knew that the riff was my one real chance to vent my rage and I make no apologies for it.  In fairness, though, you're probably right.  I did go a bit overboard on the "I hate Alien 3" riffs, but only because I loved the first two movies so much.

Thanks again, Darth Geek, for your constructive criticism.  Whether I agree with it or not, I appreciate the input.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 05:01:16 AM by Riffman for Hire »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1390 on: March 09, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
Finally got to the point in my Netflix que with some more of the iRiffs I bought way back at Christmas on my buying binge.

Insert Coin(s) to Continue riff of Bram Stoker's Dracula. A solid riff. Some laugh out loud jokes here and there, no real dead spots. The vocal performance could use a little more enthusiasm, but not bad, and the variety of jokes was good. He does use some sound effects, which I normally don't care for. I didn't mind them here, he didn't overuse them. But they do tend to pull you out of the mindset that you are just watching a movie with friends.
I could have sworn I watched another riff by him in the past, but maybe not. I am definitely going to check out his How The Grinch Stole Christmas riff.

As for the movie...holy cow. I remember not really liking this movie when I saw it in theaters (and haven't seen it since), but man, this movie is aweful!

A giant butterfly's man collection.

So what, a train coming out of a tunnel? What does that symbolize? Him not having sex?

Having taken the name Insert Coins to continue, I feel it is in my interest to the riffing community to not make fun of that mask. But it is difficult.

He's been lying on Dracula's sex themed whack-a-mole game.

Yikes. Professsor Bobo has seen better days.

I loved the Nostalgia Critic references. That guy really does look a lot like him.

Oh yes, Vampyr the book. A best seller in 1897.

There. Nothing could possibly penetrate the unlocked glass door.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 04:47:32 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1391 on: March 11, 2013, 07:22:10 PM »
And after about 2 years, Cinester Theater is finally back! 27 months to be exact, but who's counting? And they are as good as ever with this new Karate Kid riff. It isn't necessarily my favorite of theirs, but definitely a must buy iRiff. They haven't lost any of their vocal performance and enthusiasm that make them so great.

Music brought to you by PBS. And viewers like you.

Wait, don't the Fraggles live under this place?

Is Shau Khan mayor of this town? That's like threatening murder.

Pretend fence is bully beating shit out of you.

Hey, David Spade is pretty good at Karate.

Offline poobah103

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 49
  • Sufficient Springs!
« Reply #1392 on: March 12, 2013, 01:04:44 PM »
Thanks for the review, Darth Geek! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for poking the bear long enough to get us back to work.

Offline mr.b.natural

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 109
  • Mr.B you're hot!
« Reply #1393 on: March 12, 2013, 02:35:19 PM »
You should celebrate your triumphant return by taking my spot on the iRiffs Cross-Over project!: http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=26493.0

Offline fireyf

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 162
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
« Reply #1394 on: March 13, 2013, 07:49:42 PM »
Watched Cinester's new Karate Kid riff yesterday, in chunks as my dsl kept cutting out on me.  Very funny riff, as usual.  So great to have you guys back.  Loved the treatment for Mr. Myagi.  The Overlook Hotel looks was great to me as I just finished reading the Shining a couple of weeks ago.  Very much recommend.   And in a brilliant stroke of irony I came out of work today to find a flyer for a martial arts center on my windshield.