Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 334483 times)

Offline wherethefishlives

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 65
  • Toddlers be trippin'!
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #1350 on: November 03, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »
So on reading Darth Geek's review of the Drawback Productions "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" riff, I decided to try it out for myself. I'm quite glad I did! It is a great riff with a lot of clever lines and nice teamwork from the husband-and-wife riffers. I really hope they do more! On the technical side, this riff also really impressed me. The sync lines work VERY well, and the sound quality is high. I will note that scenes of music and dancing in the film tended to drown out the riffers, though, so I had to crank the movie down more than I usually would.
Overall, good stuff and I hope to see more! (Is there more? I'm too lazy to look.)

Yes, there is more and you already have it.  I included a free bonus riff for an episode of Highway To Heaven called Dust Child.  The file is labeld H2H_DustChild.zip.  The video is here:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/P1Z0odOkmP0?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/P1Z0odOkmP0?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>
And if you still want more, click on the link in my sig to my other riffs.  If you enjoy the Highway To Heaven, I've done a bunch more.  All the episodes in my H2H riff are also on Youtube, AND Die Hard 2 comes with a free episode as well (Also On Youtube).  Your kind words mean a lot, especially since we're telling jokes into a vacuum and we really have no clue whether any of it is funny or not.  Thanks, DG and Matt!

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #1351 on: November 03, 2012, 08:26:54 AM »
Nice! Thanks for feeding my sloth. :D

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1352 on: November 13, 2012, 09:03:09 PM »
Been watching a couple of the Isle of Rangoon riffs. These are really funny. I like the before and after puppet stuff too. Definitely recommended!

The best riffs so far are:
 Torchy the Battery Boy:
http://blip.tv/isleofrangoon/rangoon-riffs-torchy-the-battery-boy-ep-1-6329486
an...indescribably wierd short with seemingly no point. Done with all marioette puppets, and a seriously freaky boy Torchy that an old man invents.

Leave It To Roll-Oh:
http://blip.tv/isleofrangoon/rangoon-riffs-leave-it-to-roll-oh-6161862
about robots helping out in homes and everyday machinery. Also, the narrator pronounces "robots" the same way Zoidberg does.

Samples from the Roll-Oh riff:

I wish my water heater was that accomadating.

Another fine product brought to you by Skynet.

"The electric eye opens the faucet and there's your drink"---Full of tasty asbestos.

Eh, the ghost robots. I'm not supposed to see them anymore since I changed my meds.

Offline fireyf

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 179
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
« Reply #1353 on: November 17, 2012, 02:17:31 PM »
I watched Hor-riff-ic's Halloween 3 riff.  Better late then never huh?  Great riff as expected.  Plenty of drunken Irishman jokes to go around.  You guys missed a great opportunity though.  The alcoholic doctor's name was Challis, pronounced the same as Challice, a cup for drinking wine.  Many great robot voices too.  Can't wait till you guys are able to come out with your next riff.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1354 on: November 17, 2012, 04:06:34 PM »
I watched Hor-riff-ic's Halloween 3 riff.  Better late then never huh?  Great riff as expected.  Plenty of drunken Irishman jokes to go around.  You guys missed a great opportunity though.  The alcoholic doctor's name was Challis, pronounced the same as Challice, a cup for drinking wine.  Many great robot voices too.  Can't wait till you guys are able to come out with your next riff.
They do a lot of great Irish voices in their Leprechaun riff, too. I particularly like the Irish version of the A-Team theme.

Offline fireyf

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
« Reply #1355 on: December 10, 2012, 07:36:45 PM »
I gave Voidburger and Bob's riff of Silent Hill a try.  While it had it's moments I think the movie was just too dull and slow paced for a riffing.  There were some great riffs, and some not so great riffs, in it but it just couldn't overcome the tedium of the movie.  One thing I want to note to potential customers is that the file size is HUGE for an mp3 commentary, 286 MB to be exact.  The reason for this is the high bit rate of 320kbs!  While I appreciate their efforts at good sound quality (and it was excellent) I think they would have done fine sticking to the standard 96kbs or bumping it to 128kbs.  Yes if you have Fios or cable the download is probably a breeze but it it's a voice commentary that is playing over a movie and while sound quality does matter there comes a point where a higher quality level is rather arbitrary.  You just don't hear the difference with the movie going too.  Sorry if I sound critical.  I'm sure Silent Hill fan boys will love this riff but it just didn't do it for me.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1356 on: December 11, 2012, 04:34:17 PM »
The new riff by Isle of Rangoon on Blip http://blip.tv/isleofrangoon/rangoon-riffs-christmas-comes-but-once-a-year-6472378
Christmas Comes But Once A Year. A very demented cartoon about an Orphanage of cloned children who are all sad because their gifts (presumably from Santa Claus) all were really cheap and fell apart. So in comes invades a creepy twitchy old man. Who takes all of their vital kitchen utensils and anything not nailed down to be remade (and ruined) into toys that look even crappier than the ones that just fell apart.

Isle of Rangoon is excellent at riffing, I highly recommend them. And they do a fantastic job on this short.

Doesn't this just fill you with the holiday spirit? If by that you mean 80 proof eggnog, then yes.

Ah! There's a Helium leak. Everyone get to safety!

It's a McGuyver Christmas!

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #1357 on: December 11, 2012, 05:08:59 PM »
I just watched this short this weekend on one of those big compilations of PD Christmas specials. Can't wait to watch the Rangoon version.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1358 on: December 13, 2012, 04:45:51 PM »
Hey look, Linkara made a riff:
http://blip.tv/at4w/linkara-riffs-a-word-to-the-wives-6475251

A funny riff on an old 50s short about kitchen appliances and plotting and planning of wives. Also, tons of self-entitlement by women, and gross incompetance by men.
I particularly like how the one woman with the nearly black lipstick makes her look like a goth 50s housewife.

The presence of breasts prevent women from being efficient.

Offline Moca Java

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #1359 on: December 20, 2012, 05:16:14 PM »
Team Four Star's riff of Dragonball: Evolution was superb, I've been rewatching it a lot lately. I think I dig this one so much because the riffers are pretty much saying what I was thinking when I first watched this movie. They hit a lot of observations dead on. I was actually underwhelmed by the Quiptracks version (it pains me to say this, because I normally love Quiptracks).  You could tell that the guys from Team Four Star were Dragonball fans ( as I was) and were probably just as POed by how this movie turned out as I was.

Hor-Riff-ic's Halloween III has also been getting a lot of play for me...I love all their stuff but this may be my favorite (a very close tie with Friday the 13th Part V, can't wait til they do the next movie). The line "Tom Atkins, come and get him ladies, he's beefy and moist!" kills me every time.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1360 on: December 27, 2012, 10:34:37 PM »
Toast and Rice iRiff of Santa in Animal Land.
Eh, the riffing on this short just didn't grab me for some reason. It feels like he needs more practice or something, but this is his most recent track (released Dec 22, 2012). I've liked other Toast and Rice riffs before (particularly 'Gardening' and 'Santa and the Fairy Snow Queen'). And the performance was okay, not stellar, but okay. He varies his voice enough that it isn't just the same thing over and over. Audio quality is very good. I just didn't happen to find most of the jokes here all that funny. There were some that I laughed at though, as noted below. I would still recommend this if you've liked other riffs of his in the past. You may get more from it than I did.

And as the only bird here I'd like to point out that Thanksgiving is no walk in the park either.

"You, Kitty Cat can represent me for ALL animals."-Even for your natural predators. Good luck with that.

Uh...Do you know how to get to the interstate from here?

Toast and Rice iRiff of The Snow Man.
From the first moments of this riff, the performance is so much better. Still not as good as, say, Quiptracks or Hor-Riff-ic, but the energy and variety in vocal performance is good. Definitely recommend this one.

I think the nerdy voice for the first riff about "Frosty ripping this off" should have been more exagerated, but it still showed effort put into the performance that I appreciated.

Awesome! Wait, is this maid of sealskin? You monster! (Funny riff, and a good performance)

Uh, last time I saw a black and white movie about snowballing it was Clerks, and that was a very different type of thing.

Oh! Did someone open the Ark of the Covenant?

Good Lord! Why would they show this to children?!

Eh, that's how I felt when I paid $12 for a cheeseburger at Epcot.

He's being killed by the opening credits to the Electric Company.

These two iRiffs come purchased as one (they play seperately), so they are definitely worth it. The Snow Man short in particular has to be seen to be believed. So very fucked up for a kids cartoon.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #1361 on: December 28, 2012, 07:00:27 AM »
Just finished Snow Man myself. Some good laughs though I felt the "show this to children" got a little too much play. Buuuuut, it is a good point, it's solid nightmare fuel.

"He's pissed off and it's my fault let's go!"

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1362 on: December 28, 2012, 08:24:39 PM »
FireRiffs Don't Be Afraid.
Volume of riffs a little too low compared to the short. Even though the short volume is decreased some right at the riff, it is sometimes difficult to understand the riffs.
Overall I liked this one, although it wasn't nearly as good as The Incredible Hulk riff. I would recommend it.

The same way he smothered out my hopes and dreams.

So fear is kind of like a warning label for idiots.

Mom, Dad. I drank the whole keg.

It's very important that you beleive in the existance of your swimming instructor.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1363 on: December 28, 2012, 08:59:27 PM »
FireRiffs riff of Fitting Faces.
A good riff, nothing spectacular. Funny writing, but the delivery is only okay.

"Lets go to Beauty Headquarters."- From here beauty is manufactured and distributed.

They look like they were all modeled after amusement park rides.

Is there a voice to talk to her about her choice of hats now?

Offline fireyf

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
« Reply #1364 on: December 28, 2012, 09:09:49 PM »
FireRiffs Don't Be Afraid.
Volume of riffs a little too low compared to the short. Even though the short volume is decreased some right at the riff, it is sometimes difficult to understand the riffs.
Overall I liked this one, although it wasn't nearly as good as The Incredible Hulk riff. I would recommend it.

The same way he smothered out my hopes and dreams.

So fear is kind of like a warning label for idiots.

Mom, Dad. I drank the whole keg.

It's very important that you beleive in the existance of your swimming instructor.

Ah, my first short.  Thanks for trying it out.  I wonder if I still have all my source files for that riff.  I might be able to fix that volume issue if I do.  Really don't do a lot of shorts; the material is harder to work with for me than movies.  There is a "short" (45 minutes) called "The Miracle of the Can" who's title has me tempted to riff it but I haven't watched it yet.