Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 310219 times)

Offline David

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 48
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #1335 on: October 17, 2012, 09:03:11 AM »
I think the riff done at the Colonial Theater event in June (by one of the student groups that Joel teaches) was better.

I don't suppose this was recorded or anything?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5365
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1336 on: October 17, 2012, 09:10:20 AM »
I think the riff done at the Colonial Theater event in June (by one of the student groups that Joel teaches) was better.

I don't suppose this was recorded or anything?
It was. But I have no idea when it will be release or how. My guess would be an extra on a future Shout set.

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 119
    • Riff Cover Art
« Reply #1337 on: October 23, 2012, 01:13:10 AM »
Finished watching Spoony Experiement's "After Last Season". 

Being familiar with spoony and seeing it in the top buy list prompted me to give it a try. Ya... not a good riff. The first half of the riff he is pretty much just stating what is happening on the screen and then yelling into the microphone how the movie is dumb. Annoying to say the least. The movie itself is god awful (in a boring way) and its obvious the riffer could not create any material due to that fact. This riff gets a PASS in my book.

Offline mr.b.natural

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 109
  • Mr.B you're hot!
« Reply #1338 on: October 23, 2012, 10:15:10 AM »
Finished watching Spoony Experiement's "After Last Season". 

Being familiar with spoony and seeing it in the top buy list prompted me to give it a try. Ya... not a good riff. The first half of the riff he is pretty much just stating what is happening on the screen and then yelling into the microphone how the movie is dumb. Annoying to say the least. The movie itself is god awful (in a boring way) and its obvious the riffer could not create any material due to that fact. This riff gets a PASS in my book.

The word "movie" is awfully generous.  Riff isn't the best but the material is just so bad that the only safe way to watch it is with some kind of riffing.  I seriously didn't want to consider it a movie even though it is in fact on IMDB. 

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 119
    • Riff Cover Art
« Reply #1339 on: October 23, 2012, 02:39:50 PM »
Very true mr b. despite being very dull, I still think a good riff could be made out of it.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1340 on: October 23, 2012, 05:17:52 PM »
I watched the two Cinemasochism Halloween Safety shorts.

Halloween Safety 1977 - Just, kinda dull. I'm not just comparing it to the Hor-Riff-ic Productions riff either, since they are hard acts to follow. No, taken on it's own this riff is just..unimpressive. The vocal performance is rather flat. Not bad, per se, but not enough uniqueness and energy put into it.

Yes, write it all down. There were no stalkers back in 1977.

Huh. Look at Steven Tyler camping it up.

"Stay in your own neighborhood when you are Trick-or-Treating."---Indeed. Watts gives out crappy treats.

Halloween Safety 1985 - Right from the very first two riffs, I can tell this is going to be a MUCH better performance. I wrote that last sentance only a few seconds into watching this (fully aware I might have to remove it). But fortunately I was right. This couldn't be more night and day difference in vocal performance and quality of riffing antertainment from the 1977 short he riffed last year! And remember, I didn't hate that one per se, it just didn't impress much. Here, we have plenty of different voices and emphesis, giving this an impressive amount of energy.
  I do note that there are some points of too long stretches between riffs. Not common, but it's when he is trying not to riff over the dialog. I understand this is a good idea, it just shouldn't be a hard and fast rule. Just don't cover any dialog that is pertinant to the plot and you're fine.
  There was an unexpected added bonus of an old commercial for an 80s brick-like handheld calculator (for only $345!) that is riffed at the end.

Judging by the narrator's voice, I think he's on the Sex Offenders Registry List.

Indeed. This Ted Bundy correspondance course is awefully messy, though.

The sherrif is a ni*gong*.

"It isn't hard to have a safe Halloween."---But it's flipping boring as hell.

And you're well on your way to successful management opportunities, uh, I mean a safe Halloween.

What are you doing Dave? What are you doing Dave? What are you doing Dave? What are you doing Dave? What are you doing Dave?

Couldn't they just rent an asian kid for less money?

All in all, I would recommend both of these. My opinion is not the end-all be-all, so you may get more enjoyment out of the 1977 one than I did (and I did have some I laughed at that I noted). While still not as good as the Hor-Riff-ic Productions riffs, the 1985 one is definitely worth getting. Kudos to Cinemasochism for improving so much in just a year.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1341 on: October 27, 2012, 09:59:30 PM »
The new short 'There's Good Boos Tonight', a Casper cartoon riffed by Turkey Shoot. Very enjoyable. Not his best (that would be Squeek the Squirrel by a country mile), but Scott Zee always brings the funny. And his excellent vocal performance is fun to listen to here just like it always is.

Casper the used condom.

Oh great, all the veal is going to be stringy and tough now.

Vince Clortho, keymaster of Gozer.

I just hope this didn't delay Empire Strikes Back much. Very much looking forward to that.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2375
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #1342 on: October 27, 2012, 10:07:26 PM »
The new short 'There's Good Boos Tonight', a Casper cartoon riffed by Turkey Shoot. Very enjoyable. Not his best (that would be Squeek the Squirrel by a country mile), but Scott Zee always brings the funny. And his excellent vocal performance is fun to listen to here just like it always is.

Casper the used condom.

Oh great, all the veal is going to be stringy and tough now.

Vince Clortho, keymaster of Gozer.

I just hope this didn't delay Empire Strikes Back much. Very much looking forward to that.

Heh, have to check this out. I almost riffed it once a few years back but stopped when I found out it wasn't public domain. It was going to be Nigel's in-riff debut (though he hadn't been named yet) so he could freak the hell out over what happened to the fox.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1343 on: October 28, 2012, 07:33:34 PM »
Trying to watch the Girls Just Want To Have Fun iRiff by Drawback Productions, and Netflix Instant chooses this time to have buffering delays. Too bad, too, because I was really enjoying it (the riff, not the movie). The riff is good. Not as blue as Lizzie Maguire movie by Ice on Mars, for example. I was only able to get less than a third into it, but so far there are already several standout lines.
I'll try to watch the rest of it tomorow.

In the 80s, everyone looked like they survived an explosion at the AquaNet factory.

Look at the effort it takes for him to feign interest.

It looks like the truck from DUEL had a baby.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1344 on: October 28, 2012, 09:12:53 PM »
Watched the RoniFox riff of Wizard of Oz for the umpteenth time. So very funny. The movie is reasonably enjoyable on it's own, so it's not painful to watch. Except for the absolutely ATROCIOUS "If I Were King" song. Jesus tapdancing Christ is that song horrible!
I only got about halfway through, have to go to bed. I will finish it up tomorow.

Damn your laws, Newton!

Do you lose the skirt now, or do I have to pay in advance?

I don't know how many dozen times I've watched this riff, and I just figured out the "good thing Gene Wilder wasn't stearing this house, or those chickens would be doomed" riff. It's a Willy Wonka reference.

This is a really dark deleted scene from UP.

I am the terror that flaps in the night! (I'm a sucker for a Darkwing Duck reference, and this one is great!)

Did anyone bother to tell the actor what a lion was before they started filming?

This is the actual sound of a hernia.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1345 on: October 29, 2012, 08:28:02 PM »
iFinished watching the Drawback Productions riff of Girls Just Want To Have Fun - If anything, it gets even better near the end, as the whole riffing on the dance contest at the end is all great! I would definitely recommend this riff.

This movie is attrocious in every way. But the practical joke of handing out the flyers to punks was great. And the band being called The Greatful Dudes was funny. That's about it. Yes, Helen Hunt is physically sexy, but her character is annoying (and oddly brushed aside with little fanfare given how she was primary motivator at the beginning) and even for the 80s her fashion is absolutely embarrasingly bad. She wears a plastic bug on her hat! I am not fucking kidding! And Sarah Jessica Parker is sexy from the neck down. She is the kind of woman paper bags were invented for. Not to mention that they both look to be at least 25, not high school age at all.

That was loadbearing paper. We'll all be crushed.

A full body denim jumpsiut. The clear choice for the 28 year old highschooler.

There she goes, folks. The sentient clearance aisle of a Salvation Army.

Noone in this movie knows what COOL means!

This is some well choreographed chaos. They practiced this chaos for weeks.

Somebody hit the Training Montage button on their Casio.

"Get out of here. You make me sick!" - So that's how she stays so thin.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1346 on: October 29, 2012, 08:35:51 PM »
Watched the rest of Wizard of Oz riff by RoninFox. Great, as always. I never get tired of this one.

One thing that has bugged me for a while about this movie: So the Witch's flying broom is a source of power for her (presumably, that must by why the Wizard wanted it), yet she sets it on fire herself just to burn the Scarecrow. I mean, it's not all her power, of course, but it does hold some significance for her, she's never seen without it.
I also don't know what the hourglass was supposed to do. RoninFox rightly point this out, too.

Anyway, this movie is still entertaining (except for the aformentioned "If I Were King" song, blech). But the riff complements it enough that I can still enjoy it with the riff.
Highly, highly recommended.

What, you want me to run away at them?

"You did it. You killed her." - You knob. (It's the Canadian accent that makes this one so great.

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Leave him to his naughty business.

Offline Riffman for Hire

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 98
  • I'm in the riffing business.
« Reply #1347 on: October 30, 2012, 06:25:46 PM »
A few days ago I watched Cinester Theater's riff of Robocop.  Four out of five stars.  Not bad, but it was my least favorite riff from them so far.  Which is odd because I thought it would be their best film riff yet.  The beginning was really funny, but as it went along the humor petered out.  There were still some other funny bits like them singing to the Robocop theme, but I didn't laugh nearly as much as their other riffs.

Also watched Roninfoxtrax's Star Trek: The Motion Picture riff.  Three point five out of five stars.  I have to give these guys credit.  I wouldn't have touched this film with a hundred foot pole.  ST:TMP is so long and boring that it seems damn near unriffable.  But RFT made it somewhat more bearable. 

The beginning of the riff wasn't as funny as I would've liked, but it became more so as it went along.  One decision I really didn't like was that they riffed the first few minutes of empty black space after the pg rating title and it really got the riff off on the wrong foot in my opinion.  Their comments basically amounted to yep, this is boring.  I think it might've worked better if they had started their riff right at the Paramount logo and skipped the dull opening. 

Once they got inside the Cloud, the humor got better and sharper, in my opinion.  I especially liked the comments about Ilia's life clock going out and V'ger excreting Spock.  Some funny stuff there. 

This is one case where my lower rating is more the film's fault than the riffers.  Although I like some of TMP's ideas about humanity and our place in the universe, the film is a real chore to sit through (I can only imagine how terrible it must've been to have watch it over and over again for the riff).  And I think RoninfoxTrax did the best they could riffing this snoozefest.  Along with Robocop, I'd recommend this one.  But you might want to skip past the first few opening minutes of black space.

I would list some of my favorite lines, but I watched these riffs a few days ago and forgot to write them down.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1348 on: October 30, 2012, 09:05:25 PM »
Rangoon Riffs: Halloween Party - Never heard of these guys before this. Apparently they do a puppet show that reviews bad movies and stuff, as well as have riffed other shorts.
I really liked this. Good vocal performance, and you can tell the two voices apart (although you can tell they are done by the same person), and there is plenty of energy.

Note: there is an "extended" intro and outro of the puppets talking to each other that probably makes a lot more sense if you are more familiar with their ongoing series. I thought it was okay (the Pac-Man costume, and the doll's continued frustration got good laughs from me). If you want to skip to the riffing, it starts around 3 minutes in and ends around 9 minutes.

TPPhD? I have pills for that.

Uch. Dad is made of stucco.

They're in a prison yard. Any child cought using candy cigarettes as currency will spend one day in the box.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #1349 on: November 03, 2012, 12:49:28 AM »
So on reading Darth Geek's review of the Drawback Productions "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" riff, I decided to try it out for myself. I'm quite glad I did! It is a great riff with a lot of clever lines and nice teamwork from the husband-and-wife riffers. I really hope they do more! On the technical side, this riff also really impressed me. The sync lines work VERY well, and the sound quality is high. I will note that scenes of music and dancing in the film tended to drown out the riffers, though, so I had to crank the movie down more than I usually would.
Overall, good stuff and I hope to see more! (Is there more? I'm too lazy to look.)