Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 334753 times)

Offline chinagreenelvis

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 10
  • Incinerating Cinema
    • FilmRoasters | The Richmond FilmRoast
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #1125 on: February 23, 2012, 04:00:20 PM »
Finished watching FilmRoasters' "The Dungeonmaster."  I believe I have to concur that this being an improv track is very impressive.  I think part of what makes an improv track work is when everyone actually seems to be enjoying what they're doing, and this is no exception...laughing at each other's jokes enhances the experience and not the other way around.

However, I'm not sure if it's a leveling problem or the jokes ran out of steam for a bit, but the scene with the giant monkey statue sounded like it went dead for a long time...long enough that I thought I accidentally paused the track.  A little bit later everything came back in, but even then there was a mic that was turned WAY too low compared to everyone else, where I thought it was supposed to be background noise for the movie.  It's a pretty big hole, but when it worked, it worked well.

Favorite line: "He's not a giant, he's magic...and a devil."

Hahaha, glad you made it through that one. It was our first recording after having done the live show for nearly a year and we had a lot of technical issues, not to mention being drunk out of our keysters. The drop out was a problem with our mics getting briefly disconnected, and since we weren't using headphones to monitor ourselves at the time, we didn't realize until about four minutes later that we had become unhooked. Rather than pause the Netflix stream and risk screwing up the timing, we just sort of left it alone. When I finally decided to post the riff months later, I felt that going back and adding stuff in would have ruined the purity of it being first-viewing, unscripted improv.

That diminished audio you mention is actually the result of having only three mics but four people; Brandon and Becca kept trading off but you can still hear him riffing on the movie in the background even when he isn't holding it.

We actually never intended to put it up for sale, but enjoyed it so much that we decided, "Eh, why the F not." Glad you did, too!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 04:27:57 PM by chinagreenelvis »

Offline Riffman for Hire

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 98
  • I'm in the riffing business.
« Reply #1126 on: February 29, 2012, 03:30:50 PM »
I just watched Drawback Productions' riff of Die Hard 2 and it was hilarious.  Definitely five stars.  You guys had a great chemistry together and there were so many hysterical lines.  Just a few:

"Such a relief to get out of the world's sunniest blizzard."
"All right, men, I need us to look as suspicious as possible..."
"Maybe I'd have more luck if I didn't look like Draco Malfoy."
"Congratulations, it's a moron."
"Gentlemen, it's time."  "To what?  Give up?"

Along with the numerous plot holes you riffed with great skill, you also pointed out a number of flaws that I didn't even notice.  Like how the shots lingered too long and the disappearing blood from John Amos' face.  And you guys did a great Dennis Franz impersonation.  Very funny.

I have a few minor critiques.  One, the 3...2...1...pause countdown went a bit too fast.  Two, some of the jokes were too close to the sync lines.  In particular, "There's the new terminal."  The joke was way too close to the sync line on that one.  Maybe next time it could be spaced out a bit more evenly.  Three, the fake fact bit occurred too often.  At first it was all right, but it got tedious after a while.  Four, it might have been my computer, but the sync lines were off a little bit.  But then again, I watched it on Netflix streaming.  Also, my computer is very old and it skipped, so it may just be a hardware issue on my end.

Aside from those few nits, the riff was outstanding and I'd definitely recommend it to others.  Are you guys planning on doing another riff soon? Because I will be looking out for it.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:33:35 PM by Riffman for Hire »

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 201
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #1127 on: February 29, 2012, 05:24:54 PM »
Aside from those few nits, the riff was outstanding and I'd definitely recommend it to others.  Are you guys planning on doing another riff soon? Because I will be looking out for it.

I'm not from Drawback, nor have I heard their other stuff (now it seems, regretfully), but I've heard reviews that their Temple of Doom riff was pretty good.  If you haven't listened to it, I'd say give it a shot until the next one comes out.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Riffman for Hire

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #1128 on: February 29, 2012, 07:04:51 PM »

I'm not from Drawback, nor have I heard their other stuff (now it seems, regretfully), but I've heard reviews that their Temple of Doom riff was pretty good.  If you haven't listened to it, I'd say give it a shot until the next one comes out.

Yeah, I want to check it out eventually.  I saw their preview for ToD and liked it a lot.  However, there are a number of other Rifftraxs and iriffs that I want to buy, so it might be a while.

On another note, I did feel kind of guilty laughing during the plane crash scene in Die Hard 2.  I had to remind myself that it was only a movie.  It's a testament to their skill that they made it funny without going overboard on it.  In the wrong riffer's hands, that scene could have been really tasteless and uncomfortable.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1129 on: March 01, 2012, 10:17:14 PM »
OOPS
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 10:18:46 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 201
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #1130 on: March 02, 2012, 07:45:49 PM »
OneWallCinema's The Shadow

Man, I wish this had come out before the LoC deadline.  I would have done some swapping around.  Worth every penny.  There are a few jokes that get lost soundwise...I don't know how intentional those were, since more than enough were very audible, but there are plenty of laugh-out-loud moments in this sucker to make up for it.

Favorites:
Nope!
The Rowley namedrop (I don't need Google, myself)
Did you see that?  That was (Khan shouting)!
The cop song (No-thing to see here...)
Meanwhile, on the set of Johnny Dangerously... (oddly enough, just watched that the other day)
Worst part is, after I talk to him...
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #1131 on: March 02, 2012, 07:56:15 PM »
OneWallCinema's The Shadow

Man, I wish this had come out before the LoC deadline.  I would have done some swapping around.  Worth every penny.  There are a few jokes that get lost soundwise...I don't know how intentional those were, since more than enough were very audible, but there are plenty of laugh-out-loud moments in this sucker to make up for it.

Favorites:
Nope!
The Rowley namedrop (I don't need Google, myself)
Did you see that?  That was (Khan shouting)!
The cop song (No-thing to see here...)
Meanwhile, on the set of Johnny Dangerously... (oddly enough, just watched that the other day)
Worst part is, after I talk to him...

Glad you liked it!  The "Nope!" and "Worst part is..." cracked me up every time I was watching them.  Almost all of that riff was comprised of our improv track.

Offline chinagreenelvis

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Incinerating Cinema
« Reply #1132 on: March 05, 2012, 02:29:05 PM »
Kind of out-of-thread, but I just got back from a trip to New York City and got to see the Raspberry Brothers' live riff of Dirty Dancing. Tickets were $15 each (a bit pricey but pretty standard for NYC entertainment) and there were only two guys for this screening (I'm under the impression they rotate comedians). It was a great show, very funny and mostly well done. They employ a very Rocky Horror style to their riffing where they make no secret that they know something is about to happen and structure a joke in a way that the movie can provide the punchline. They also pointed out a lot of errors and bloopers in the film, or just stuff that didn't make any real sense at all, and that was a lot of fun. One of them held the mic too close to his mouth for most of the show, however, and tended to be a very loud, screamy type of comedian who didn't pull it away when raising the volume of his voice, so that was a bit annoying and audibly uncomfortable because the speaker definitely hit it's limit quite a few times and there was a lot of distortion as a result. The only other (possible) drawback was that they tended to replace a lot of the dialogue rather than simply supplement it - which made for really funny jokes for most of the scenes but made it difficult to follow the film at some points.

All in all, I'm glad to have finally seen another live group perform and to have been able to say hi to them and possibly network for a collaboration at some point in the future. Next week: Cinematic Titanic in North Carolina!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 02:31:41 PM by chinagreenelvis »

Offline wherethefishlives

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 65
  • Toddlers be trippin'!
« Reply #1133 on: March 08, 2012, 07:50:54 PM »
I just watched Drawback Productions' riff of Die Hard 2 and it was hilarious.  Definitely five stars.  You guys had a great chemistry together

Thanks for enjoying it and for taking time to critique it and for being fooled by our sham marriage.  We’re getting good at keeping the façade going.

I have a few minor critiques.  One, the 3...2...1...pause countdown went a bit too fast. 

The wife yells at me for this, too.  You can tell how sick I am of the technical speech at the beginning of every one of these.

Two, some of the jokes were too close to the sync lines.

This is one of the many problems when you employ the quantity-over-quality approach that I take.  It’s hard to find a sync line all by its lonesome that’s not less than two minutes after the previous sync line.  Still, I’ll fix this next time.

Three, the fake fact bit occurred too often.  At first it was all right, but it got tedious after a while.

Congratulations!  You found the padding!

Four, it might have been my computer, but the sync lines were off a little bit.  But then again, I watched it on Netflix streaming.  Also, my computer is very old and it skipped, so it may just be a hardware issue on my end.

I’m thinking it’s the streaming that’s having the trouble.  Here’s what “David” had to say about the sync in another thread.

Haha "Annex Skywalk? Didn't he go to the Dark Side?"
Good one so far. And syncs up nice!

He is referring to his DVD copy of DH2.  He said that synced/sunc/sanc up perfectly.  Enjoy the whole exchange here:  http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=23509.msg0#quickreply

Aside from those few nits, the riff was outstanding and I'd definitely recommend it to others.  Are you guys planning on doing another riff soon? Because I will be looking out for it.

I am working on another riff, but I just started a new job that’s much further away while still having to freelance at my old job at night.  In short, the next riff will be awhile.  In the meantime, enjoy your free bonus content along side this video right here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtDMNxB5oeM

After that, please enjoy my back catalog which is the first link in my sig below.  Thanks for your patronage and kind words.  Sorry to everyone else for having to scroll past all of my nonsense. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1134 on: March 11, 2012, 10:26:02 AM »
Thanks to doing the Top 50 iRiff List, I have been wanting to watch tons of them for two weeks, but have been too busy. Now I FINALLY get to watch some. I have started with Turkey Shoot, and am currently enjoying The Snow Creature again.

Also, I am ashamed to say that I only just NOW got the "enjoy your T.W.A. tea. I am sorry!" joke, after having watched this probably three times before.

Offline Riffman for Hire

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #1135 on: March 13, 2012, 09:08:38 AM »
I just watched One Wall Cinema’s riff of The Shadow and I hate to say it, but this one didn’t work for me.  Two stars out of five.  I really don’t like giving out negative reviews, but I have to be honest.

Here’s some specific problems I had.

The opening skit with Words with Friends didn’t work for me.  It felt really forced and unfunny and by the two minute mark I wanted it to end.

A number of the jokes were repetitive.  For example, the “where will you be when diarrhea strikes?”.  And in particular, the bit where you keep mentioning about Margo Lane leaving Cranston’s place.  The joke was hit on so many times that it became extremely tiresome and I found myself tuning out on the riff.  I know it’s hard to be diverse in the jokes with a two hour movie—I have the same problem in my riffs—but I think it might help next time to go through the script, catch points of repetition and change them.  Unless perhaps the callbacks have more of a payoff.  Here, I felt that they didn’t.

I felt that you passed over a number of prime riffing opportunities.  For example, when Shiwan Kahn was in the restaurant.  “You Americans are so arrogant.”  Something like: “NO, WE’RE NOT!!!”  Also when he jumped out the restaurant window, there was nothing.

The use of single shot guns.  If they had given Lane a revolver or a Tommy gun, it would have been a much shorter movie.  Or something along those lines.

The cleanliness of the hotel.  How can the hotel be cleaned if nobody in the city can see the building?  Did the Mongol warriors do it in their spare time?

Observations like that, I felt, could have made the riff funnier.

The energy level of the riff seemed to fluctuate a lot too.  Sometimes you guys sounded really enthusiastic and you were laughing.  Sometimes it sounded low and monotone.  A more consistent energy level might help.

Bleeping the profanity.  I have the same problem with Rifftrax.  I’d suggest either using the profanity or just leaving it out altogether.  Bleeping it out seems like a poor compromise to me.

Further, I think you guys were too kind to this film.  I think it needed more of a shellacking in the humor.  More pungent, wry zingers that ridiculed the film’s poor plot and pacing and the hammy overacting.

On the plus side, you guys did have good chemistry together.  Some of the jokes were funny and I did laugh.  Like the one about having Margo stay and rip the skin off her face.  The audio quality was all right, although some of the lines were a bit too soft and I had trouble hearing the sync lines in the director’s voice.  A pitch change might work better.

It wasn’t a total disaster where I didn’t laugh once.  But the funny jokes were few and far between.  Perhaps this riff might have suffered in comparison to Die Hard 2, where I was laughing the whole way through.  In this case, by the end I wasn’t really laughing at all.

Please note, this is only one reviewer’s opinion.  Humor is very subjective and what person might find hysterical, another person might find unfunny.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #1136 on: March 13, 2012, 09:23:39 AM »
Trust me, we're not offended. We prefer to see things like this rather than just the random low ratings with no feedback to let us know what people liked or didn't like.

We are by no means a "professional riffing group", we're just having fun. Not sure if you have seen our other riffs, but there are a whole mess of callbacks in The Shadow that refer to our other riffs. So those jokes might have been funnier if you got the reference.  We are still fine tuning things, figuring of what works, what doesn't, etc.

Anyways, sorry it didn't work for you, but we do appreciate the feedback. Honest.

Offline pezdrake

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #1137 on: March 14, 2012, 07:13:43 PM »
Kind of out-of-thread, but I just got back from a trip to New York City and got to see the Raspberry Brothers' live riff of Dirty Dancing. Tickets were $15 each (a bit pricey but pretty standard for NYC entertainment) and there were only two guys for this screening (I'm under the impression they rotate comedians). It was a great show, very funny and mostly well done. They employ a very Rocky Horror style to their riffing where they make no secret that they know something is about to happen and structure a joke in a way that the movie can provide the punchline. They also pointed out a lot of errors and bloopers in the film, or just stuff that didn't make any real sense at all, and that was a lot of fun. One of them held the mic too close to his mouth for most of the show, however, and tended to be a very loud, screamy type of comedian who didn't pull it away when raising the volume of his voice, so that was a bit annoying and audibly uncomfortable because the speaker definitely hit it's limit quite a few times and there was a lot of distortion as a result. The only other (possible) drawback was that they tended to replace a lot of the dialogue rather than simply supplement it - which made for really funny jokes for most of the scenes but made it difficult to follow the film at some points.

All in all, I'm glad to have finally seen another live group perform and to have been able to say hi to them and possibly network for a collaboration at some point in the future. Next week: Cinematic Titanic in North Carolina!

THese guys come regularly to Arlington and I have seen them a few times.  No CT but nice to see some live riffing from time to time.

Offline chinagreenelvis

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Incinerating Cinema
« Reply #1138 on: March 15, 2012, 01:48:17 AM »
THese guys come regularly to Arlington and I have seen them a few times.  No CT but nice to see some live riffing from time to time.

Oh, then you're not far from Richmond. Come see us sometime! I'll put you on "the list" so you can get in for free, just for making the hour-and-a-half trip!

Offline pezdrake

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #1139 on: March 18, 2012, 11:25:58 AM »

Oh, then you're not far from Richmond. Come see us sometime! I'll put you on "the list" so you can get in for free, just for making the hour-and-a-half trip!

A five dollar savings for only a 4 and half hour drive?!  Egads!  That's like I'm making money.