login

Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 265138 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2977
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2008, 08:54:47 AM »
I think the point is that if he hasn't SEEN the other group's material, his own riffing won't be potentially compromised or influenced by knowledge of the other group's material. Nobody can claim theft of concept or joke if he hasn't been exposed to any of it (well, they can claim it, but they wouldn't be able to prove it).
Exactly. Thanks for helping me out there :)

Offline amityisland

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2008, 08:56:40 AM »
Finished Halloween II last night....it was excellent...very clever riffs. :)

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2008, 08:56:51 AM »
That's why I said as long as the script is done. But there's no reason to record it before you've heard the other one.

Offline Invisible NanoGhost

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
  • Just here for a few laughs. I'll take yours.
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2008, 10:06:16 AM »
I think the point is that if he hasn't SEEN the other group's material, his own riffing won't be potentially compromised or influenced by knowledge of the other group's material. Nobody can claim theft of concept or joke if he hasn't been exposed to any of it (well, they can claim it, but they wouldn't be able to prove it).

As bratpop noted, it still could be a good idea to listen to the other version after you're finished writing your own script.  Comparing Josh's "Wasp Woman" to the version Cinematic Titantic did, there were only a few jokes which showed up in both versions.  But if you came up with multiple riff ideas for a single scene, and the one you decided to go with is about the same as the riff from some other riff-track, then you might want to drop that riff and go with one of the other ones that you thought of.

Also, if you find that some other version is a laugh-riot compared to the script you came up with, then maybe you'll go back and do some re-writing to improve yours -- WITHOUT using jokes from the other version, of course.  That might sound a little harsh, but if it ends up that you find the other version is funnier than your own script, then wouldn't you rather find that out before you do all the work of making the final version, uploading it, and then thinking "You know, this sucks compared to the riff track which already existed"?

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2008, 10:29:37 AM »
Those are some good points, but I'm still reluctant.. I'll ponder on this for a bit :-\

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2008, 02:13:29 PM »
Well, I wouldn't watch it until we have the script finalized which we don't.  So there's that.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2008, 02:50:58 PM »
Well, I wouldn't watch it until we have the script finalized which we don't.  So there's that.
Understood.. Then I'll continue to hold :)

Offline dalem

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2008, 04:50:22 PM »
Okay.

1) Speed is one of my guilty pleasures.  I like the movie.  There, I said it.

2) Tonight, I figured, "what the heck" and got the iRiff of Speed.  I just finished it.

3) I liked it.  A lot.  Great riff, great material, professional production.

I recommend this one highly.  Great job guys!

-dale

Offline pinkbismuth

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2008, 09:53:21 AM »
I watched Friday the 13th and loved it.  Various types of jokes and little skits.  They sounded very natural.  The Jason Enronmental PSA at the end was hysterical.
Plop Plop....Fizz Fizz

Offline dalem

• Big Montana
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2008, 03:04:53 PM »
I tried the Tron one last night.  Very good - I like these guys.  I could have used at least one B5 joke considering both Sheridan and Londo are in there, and I thought a couple of good Klingon language lines would have been nice in the command cockpit scenes, but that's severe nitpicking.  I said the lines to my dog anyway, and he laughed.  Or licked himself.  But that's as good as a laugh in my opinion.

I look forward to more RiffRaffing, guys.

-dale

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Eyy Veeee Peeeee.
    • ChrisHanel.com
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2008, 03:38:37 PM »
Appreciate it! We're hoping to get the next one out soon. We've got a lot of prep for our next live show going on, and then once that's out of the way we'll be recording again.

-Chris
"Could I recommend some jugglers you might like?" -- Bill Hicks

Offline dalem

• Big Montana
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2008, 04:52:01 PM »
Need a copy of Capricorn One?  I could mail the DVD to ya. ;)

-dale

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1464
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2008, 11:28:23 AM »
Just jumping on to see what people are recommending.   :D

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2008, 11:32:56 AM »
iJust finished watching Tron this morning.   Another solid effort by those guys.  Hopefully tonight- Halloween II.  Could be a few days, I think I just got called in to work. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4974
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
I just finished Quiptracks: The Show. Very funny overall. Really felt like a comedy central MST3K episode. The beginning and end need some work to hopefully look a little more polished and perhaps have a premise, but the riffing was top notch. "I see Truck is built Ford tough".
I did have a lot of trouble watching it on my computer, though. The file is just too big in that format for my computer to handle as video. In the future, a lower resolution file or in a different format might be good for those of us that don't have super fast computers.