Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 338073 times)

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 112
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #2130 on: July 14, 2017, 02:36:48 PM »
Hor-Riff-Ic -- "Friday the 13th Pt. 3" -- Jason's back for thirds, hacking away at campers while the movie makers show off their own hackery.  A small amount of new (a bike gang trying to get revenge on one of the characters) with a lot of the old, this is a sequel where you'll be urging Jason to kill, and for crying out loud do it faster.

Hor-Riff-Ic is fantastically funny here, maybe even moreso than in their riffs for parts 1 and 2.  Lots of fun with the 3D aspect of it (I watched a 2D version, but it was painfully obvious how 3D was getting used for cheap--though sometimes funny--gags), and the hippie-types who make it surprisingly far into the film.

[ http://www.rifftrax.com/iriff/hor-riff-ic-friday-the-13th-part-iii ]

Drawback Productions -- "Highway to Heaven - 'Dust Child'/'The Torch'" -- In 'Dust Child,' a Vietnam veteran's 40-year-old teenage love child comes to America to live with his family, riling the local racists. In 'The Torch,' neo-Nazis stage a hate rally, and what is probably almost certainly not a young Steve Bannon learns a valuable lesson about gun safety. Michael Landon either lies his ass off or resorts to inducing vivid hallucinations to get things to work out, which is just how angels roll, I guess.

DP's riffs are great all the way through, believe me, because if they were less than top-notch, I'd've never made it through these ham-handed shows.  The pacing of the riffs is good as well, packing a lot in without ever feeling like too much.

[ The Torch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa-MSG-1nnE ]
[ Dust Child: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0oODvnaIjA ]

Incognito Cinema Warriors XP -- "The Great American Chocolate Factory" (203: "The Gear is Family")/"Resident Evil: Retribution" (203.5: "Zombie-Poo-Pocalypse") -- In episode 203, we get some history in the form of Dr. Blackwood's evolution from slightly cracked movie theater operator and robot inventor to insane tormentor of Rick Wolf, and a short film with more on how Hershey, PA makes chocolate than you ever wanted to know.  In 203.5, Rick and the bots vent their human and cyber-spleens all over the Resident Evil movie franchise.

The last episode (202) teased that we'd get some explanations about how things had changed between season one and season two, but we didn't really get that (though I did like the scenes with Dr. Blackwood's devolution).  The riffing on 'The Great American Chocolate Factory' was pretty good, but if you haven't liked the story-heavy season two episodes, you probably will want to skip this one.  And 203.5... whew.  The centerpiece of that was a critical deconstruction of the Resident Evil movie series, which, while I don't necessarily disagree with their take on it, was basically five minutes of point stretched out over half an hour, bookended by some okay-to-mildly-funny host segments.  Even if you did like 201-203, as I (overall) did, this is skippable.

[203: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-7LKE1sRY8 ]
[203.5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9ESVle6ZF4 ]
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #2131 on: July 19, 2017, 09:41:00 AM »
Got caught up just this morning on these chapters, all free either through YouTube or DailyMotion.  Three single-person riffs, three distinctive styles, all of them entertaining.

Intrepid Asylum -- "The Great Alaskan Mystery, Chapter 9" -- I watched chapter 8 unriffed (ow) to get to the start of this, but not sure why; we're at the point in this serial where, as in many others, they're just farting around to pad out the chapter count.  Chapter 9 reveals itself as more of the same, even going so far as to recycle footage from an earlier chapter.  Fortunately, Intrepid Asylum is fun as always in skewering the goings on (and failing to go-ings on) here, especially in observing how un-Alaskan the setting has become.

[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKAffCXg69E ]

The Turkey Shoot -- "The Great Alaskan Mystery, Chapter 10" -- Meanwhile, in chapter 10, there seems to be a dim realization on the part of the producers that the end is in sight, so a few things actually happen in this one.  There's also an unusually ludicrous cliffhanger trap, that looks like it works in spite of the ineptitude of both the villains who set it and the heroes who set it off. But the highlight of this chapter, of course, Scott Zee's riffing, not just from the material itself, but how he can put a spin on a line with his voice that makes it twice as funny.  Great stuff!

[ http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5t3giw ]

Toast and Rice -- "The Great Alaskan Mystery, Chapter 11" -- The plot is finally back to shambling vaguely forward in this one.  (I was a bit disappointed in the resolution of the previous cliffhanger, though--while other episodes used the usual cheats, this one resorted to an open retcon.)  Toast and Rice is in fine, sardonic form here, sending up the glaring plot holes and the equally-glaring inadequacies of our heroes in seeing through even the flimsiest of deceptions.  Looking forward to more of this in the next chapter.

[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t687CkcdFA4 ]

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5901
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2132 on: July 23, 2017, 07:35:29 PM »
Since it's been so long, I thought I would start from the beginning. Because...well, because I make poor choices.

The Great Alaskan Mystery part 1 (Intrepid Asylum) - I like this guy's riffs. I wish he had someone to riff with him to get some interaction, but that's a minor nitpick. He doesnt have a huge range of voices, but I never felt it lacking when listening to the riff. He also has decent riff density.

If you have to put on more clothes to survive, it's not a vacation.

And reverse the film! Thank you.

Most of today's youth can't read this man's name! Thank you, education system.

He calls it Fallonmyassitum

Zy am not suspicious acting!

Even by 40s serial standards, this thing is more padded than a pre-teen's bra. It's not even the first episode and we've already had a boat crash that has nothing to do with the main plot. They just chose a really bad captain to take them to Alaska.

This is supposed to be about scientist who are trying to invent a light transporter. But that is immediately abandoned for hijinks about the U.S.S. Bluto, because for some reason in 1944 they trusted a clearly evil scientist with a German accent.

So is the woman having a pilots licence important to the story? It doesn't seem to be, but it's the first thing we see in the seriel. I fully expect to see her blow up the alien spaceship at the end yelling "UP YOURS!!!"

Wait wait wait wait. The professor says "We have not found an element powerful enough to conteract the pull of gravity." So the matter is just FALLING out of the light beam?! I know they're just spraying glitter to make the effect in the movie, but that is essentially what he's saying is happening.

Why is it movies seem so convinced that scientists keep all their discuveries by memory. SCIENTISTS WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN!

Why does the captain receive his messages by morse code, and then use carrier pidgeons? Does the morse code thing only work when he's at dock? It didn't seem to be attached to anything. Also, I'm not sure the freezing temperatures at sea around Alaska are a good place to use carrier pidgeons. Seems like they'd freeze to death.

So who was that bearded guy that the captain threw overboard? Are we supposed to know him?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2133 on: July 23, 2017, 07:36:14 PM »

The Great Alaskan Mystery part 2 (Drawback Productions) - I really enjoy this group. They're a husband and wife team, so they have great chemistry. Plenty of banter back and forth, and you can tell the voices apart. Their riff density is fantastic, not space left open. There's even a bit at the beginning where them rushing to get through riffs is a joke itself.

I love all the riffs about the guy not wearing gloves. Seriously WTF is up with that?

I know it's a frozen wasteland, but I still think we should bring the fridge.

Through frozen hippo's mouth. (ice falls over) Oh no, it's hungry hungry!

Oh, the record skipped. I guess they're out of danger.

That would have been a close call, if we had been in that footage.

I still don't know what his plan was. If it was to find food, F-. If it was to be food, A+.

Help, we're dressed like Mormons!

Wait, the opening crawl calls the scientist's invention a "ray gun". I know they already left that part of the plot behind, but did the makers of the serial not even know what that thing was? I guess it doesn't matter, since it isn't even mentioned in the entire episode!

The captain doesn't seem to have any problem with the sinking of his ship.

What part of Alaska is this supposed to be?! This looks more like the Arctic. Do the filmmakers not know the difference? Of course, they apparently didn't know everyone there SHOULD BE WEARING GLOVES, so who knows.

I will give the serial this, the stock footage blends with the regular footage a lot better than usual. Mostly becasue the regular footage is also poor quality. And because the iceberg flows all tend to look the same. A lot of the serial seems to have been filmed in actual arctic waters, since they are moving over icebergs and not just in a soundstage. So it does have production value.

They actually speared a bear in this! And had a dog struggling in what was probably freezing waters. It's deplorable what they were willing to do for movies back in the day. Speaking of which, the Eskimos speaking in stereotypical brken English like the Indians in a Lone Ranger show. Also, most of their footage is shown in fast forward. I'm not sure if that's an offensive stereotype, but it seems like it probably is.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2134 on: July 23, 2017, 07:37:00 PM »
The Great Alaskan Mystery part 3 (Quiptracks) - Tristan and Tracy are in fine form here. They always give great performannces, and plenty of energy. No lacking of riffs, either, they have a good pace. I do like that they reference things from previous episodes, so they have clearly watched all of it.

Rocky Balboa completes a swim.

There, now an extra can take over your role.

It's amazing how quickly he can turncoat in such a bulky coat.

Uncle Buck to the rescue!

The cockpit's going down without them.

"I hope the Eskimos have speedboats." Well, considering how their footage is all sped up for some reason, they kinda do.

Oh, oh WOW! I'm sure the dogs dying are just stuffed dummies, but it's still hard to watch. And there is footage of actual dogs falling. For shame!

Oh hey, they actually mention the teleporter that is the whole reason for this plot. (I refuse to call it the silly name they give it)

Now suddenly they are out of the Eskimo area and in some city, and they are calling for help to get back where they started from. Did they just forget they were there to find the new element? Or are they going to where it is by plane? And if they could get there by plane in the first place, why did they take the boat? I'm confused.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2135 on: July 23, 2017, 07:38:18 PM »
The Great Alaskan Mystery part 4 (One Man Band) - I like One Man Band. I'm not sure why he's doing this one as a single riffer, and Chapter 6 with additional robot voices. But even without being able to do banter with anyone, this was still a good riff.

Well, it looks like things are back to normal. Except for the cloud that transmogrofies airplanes, anyway.

And that's how they escaped.

Maybe it's just me, but isn't it a little backwards to invent the death ray BEFORE accidentally discovering the only thing that can power it?

Like sands through the hourglas, this is a waste of our lives.

Oh, um, new plan. Paint a tunnel on the side of a mountain!

Even by the old serial standards, there's a lot of shots in this that are so dark you can barely see anything.

I like how the one guy seems as surprised as we are that he's got a gun. Why didn't he use that before?!

Ok, so it seems that they were going to the mine where the old prospector found the new element. So why did they go by ship instead of by plane? Oh right, for padding.

So now they're just calling this "new element" quartz? And why is it glowing in the dark? That seems like something you wouldnt just accidentally hit.

The miner guy is this close to yelling "Hi Keebah" and flipping backwards, he's such bad comic releif. Which is odd, snce we haven't had any comedy in this serial so far, so I'm not sure why they thought they needed it.

Well the teleporter is spewing smoke now, so it's working! And they are actually speculating that they could teleport (whaever that is) for miles. Yeah, I don't think you are going to be putting FedEx out of business.

This serial is so bereft of ideas, they are actually resorting to the western cliche of bandits making an abush on a road. Aaaand it doesn't work because the driver decides to plow his truck full of explosive ore through the barricade. I'm as surprised as the bandits at the results of that, but for different reasons.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2136 on: July 23, 2017, 07:38:59 PM »
The Great Alaskan Mystery part 5 (The Incomparable Podcast) - I'm not sure if I've heard anything else by this group. The name sounds familiar, but I can't remember what the riff would have been. So according to the youtube description there's five people on this riff. Hell if I know, I couldn't tell any of the guys apart. I could tell the woman apart from the rest, but everything else seemed like one guy frantically talking to himself. They do occasionally laugh at each other's jokes. They don't do it so much that it gets annoying, so it just adds to the feeling of friends watching a movie with you. They do have good chemistry with each other.

Majestic Alaska!

Are they fireman, or going on safari?

It's like war broke out amongst The Village People.

Did somebody call Triple Nay?

Is this the same bridge from before? Yep, and it wasn't a suspension bridge then either.

I take back everything I said earlier about the production values in this. Everything in the episode with all this boring truck transporting on dirt roads looks like it was filmed in Utah!

The truck with the explosive ore crashes and we DON'T get an explosion? Ha, next you'll tell me the guy shot in the head will be just fi-oh goddamnit!

Obviously Evil Old White Guy is being obviously evil. Love Interest Just There To Be Captured is being captured, and is oddly okay with it. Lunkhead Protagonist is being a lunkhead. Teleportation Device The Plot Is About is nowhere to be seen.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2137 on: July 23, 2017, 07:39:48 PM »
The Great Alaskan Mystery part 6 (One Man Band) - It's amazing how charming the intro is. You'll just have to see it to understand.
So this time he has his two robotic companions to help with riffing. Not sure why it's different, unless he just deliberately wanted it to have a different feel. Either way, this is good.

(Protagonist Guy rolling down hill) Oh, he died anyway.

Well then next time don't bring a gun to a gun...where was he going with this?

Movie making is easy when you don't use lighting.

By the way, TROLLLL IN THE DUNGEON!

Yes, under the falling elevator. It's your only chance.

So apparently Protagonist Guy knew to jump out of the truck because...he read the script, I guess. And he did it once on the bridge instead of before, so he still fell to what should have been his death But it's not because he's Protagonist Guy.

I will give the villains credit that when Protagonist Guy's truck falls, they immediately go check to make sure he's dead instead of just assuming he is.

Hey, it's the Teleportation Device! Remember that thing we haven't seen since Episode 1! And...something blows up. Seriously, what the hell blew up? It looks like the machine did and the scientist and other giys in the cabin would be dead, but then they are fine. WHAT BLEW UP? Now they're calling it a Death Ray, but I still don't know what happened. And does this mean that the intro text calling it a ray gun since episode two was spoilers?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2138 on: July 23, 2017, 07:40:58 PM »
That's as far as I got tonight. I was hoping to get through all of them that are released so far. But it takes longer when I stop to take notes and write riffs down.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 204
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #2139 on: July 24, 2017, 10:37:44 AM »
So this time he has his two robotic companions to help with riffing. Not sure why it's different, unless he just deliberately wanted it to have a different feel. Either way, this is good.

The opening is essentially a compressed version of a long storyline I did mostly for fun on my Facebook page.  During it, I decided to take one of the characters that showed up and see if he would work as a 'third riffer' voice, and Chapter 6 is his test run.  I started Chapter 6 before Chapter 4, and since I already had most of the script written with his debut, I decided to do Chapter 4 in my usual style.

Glad you liked it; I was hoping if it turned out well that I might do more stuff like that.  I know one of the problems with single riffing is banter possibilities and wanted to see what I could do with it, but if I had three voices, it seems less like I'm talking to myself than if it's just two.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2140 on: July 24, 2017, 05:43:23 PM »
The Great Alaskan Mystery part 7 (OneWallCinema) - OneWallCinema is two brothers, so they have excellent chemistry together, and their banter is very natural. Their voices are not particularly different, but I was able to tell them apart. They do a brief live action intro before the serial. I don't remember them doing anything like that for the other riffs that they've done.
This is the second live action intro to a riffed episode, and both of them feel like they went through more writing process than the entire serial itself.

Nice intro song. And no, it's not just you who have no clue what is going on. Also, I feel that the Great Alaskan Mystery For Dummies book is way too thick.

All the trees that were growing down here are GONE!

Hello fellow lumberjacks. I am here to lumberjack.

Aaand squish!

Wow, that was almost not close.

So they are falling down in an elevator, and they drop explosives to help them...survive? I woulda guessed extra dead, but hey they're the experts.

Now this serial is about cutting down trees. I swear I've been paying attention but I have no idea how we got to this!

In this entire episode there is an odd glitch or smudge or something in the screen, it was really distracting. It looked like someone was dangling a fishing lure in front of the camera.

The woman gets hit by a HUGE falling tree and gets...a mild sprained ankle? I don't expect this serial to show her becoming a stain on the forrest floor, but come on!

And now they are attacked by a giant log, that is entirely unrelated to the guy trying to shoot them. Or did he subcontract the hit out to some Ewoks too?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2141 on: July 24, 2017, 05:47:27 PM »
Apparently episode 8 is not released yet.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #2142 on: July 24, 2017, 05:58:46 PM »
First live action intro, but we did have those silly commercials during Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2143 on: July 24, 2017, 06:25:39 PM »
The Great Alaskan Mystery part 9 (Intrepid Asylum) - Another good riff by this guy. I am definitely going to try some more of his riffs.

I know, I'll sneak up on them via cover of this open field.

Meanwhile, in a larger version of the house.

Well, one thing, you can tell the one set of grey guys from the other set of grey guys with the masks on.

Well, I missed an episode, but we are right away back in sci-fi territory, so I'm okay with it. Although the villains are using the teleporter/death ray sucessfully, yet we haven't seen it be successful at anything yet.

Again, the villains immediately decide to verify that the good guys are dead from the crash, rather than just assume they are. I give credit to this serial for that. Well, never mind. They get to the burning airplane and assume they're dead. *sigh* I'm starting not to root for the villains anyore.

Another episode where a lot of it is so dark you can't tell what's going on.

The obviously evil German scientist gives them the lamest excuse, and they buy it?!

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #2144 on: July 28, 2017, 01:11:55 PM »
Incomparable Podcast - "The Great Alaskan Mystery, Chapter 5" -- I previously watched this unriffed, in order to bridge the gap to later, riffed episodes.  You'd think it'd be confusing to go back at this point and pick it up, but it's less so than you'd expect, given this is where the plot randomization starts really kicking in.  Incomparable Podcast brought a lot of energy and fun to this riff (though I agree with Darth, a lot of the male voices are very similar in sound), with some laugh-out-loud lines in there as well.  I've been enjoying the 'Total Party Kill' youtube episodes I've sampled, too.

[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRrhb8WBIgo ]

Toast and Rice - "The Great Alaskan Mystery, Chapter 12" -- Since we're just one episode away from the end, I'd been thinking we'd see some kind of gear shift in this episode, but aside from the Obvious Bad Buy finally doing something to reveal he's the Obvious Bad Guy, the bulk of the chapter was more random piddling about, and yet another use of the plot device beam to fry a plane.  I can't blame Mike one bit for the rant/meltdown that he undergoes partway through (and it's limited so that it's funny without overstaying its welcome).  The rest of the riff is a continuation of his wry, snarky style from the previous chapter, enjoyable as always.

[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7U0ydqlKTY ]