login

Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 307184 times)

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #1725 on: March 22, 2014, 01:26:58 PM »
Just re-watched one of my old favorite iRiffs, Congo. Man, do I love this riff. The imitation of Tim Curry's weird accent kills me every time, and while the movie is surprisingly slow-moving, the riffs are clever and the Treacheriffers work well together. I think I've said it before, but I wish these guys had done more releases. Very, very funny.
"This entire continent's my valley, b!#*!"
The Hungry Hungry Hippos sketch.
"CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?!"

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5313
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1726 on: March 30, 2014, 06:22:56 PM »
OneWallCinemaOne Man Band iRiff of Legion of the Dead - I liked this one. The riffing is good (although it would have benefitted from a second riffer), and well written. His vocal performance is has a decent amount of energy.
Even though there is no sync point at the beginning, you just have to start the riff after the intro and the movie at the same time, I had no real trouble with lining it up.
There are sound issues with the movie A lot of the dialog is hard to hear unless you have it cranked right up, but then a lot of the effects and "fight scenes" are too loud. Not in a Matrix-ish way, this is just very poor sound editing.
This movie may be very badly made, even by Asylum standards. It lends itself to riffing very well. But the nudity is pretty damn good.

I did quite enjoy all the jokes about the French (?) character's accent changing.

*sniveling* He won't let me be coroner. Wah.

You know, if all mummies looked like this, we'd have a lot more archeologists.

Don King bushes. Only in America. (LOVED this one!)

An ancient T-shirt! Wait till I tell the professor.

You know, very little in life ends with "If only I had banged him, he'd still be alive."
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:26:54 AM by Darth Geek »

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #1727 on: March 31, 2014, 08:40:03 PM »
That's good to know it's not just my copy of the movie that did that.  You have no idea how much normalizing I had to do just to be able to hear what in the world people were saying.  I was trying very hard not to resort to "What did he say?" sorts of jokes.

But dang.  Glad you liked it, but I'm still looking for that Seal of Approval.  Maybe the next one...;)
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1728 on: April 01, 2014, 06:05:56 AM »
Lol, I tend to forget about the Seal of Approval. And even when I remember, something has to be really exceptional to get it. Keep at it.

Offline Hor-RIFF-ic Productions

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 33
  • Blah blah BLAHHHH!!!!
    • Hor-RIFF-ic Productions
« Reply #1729 on: May 11, 2014, 06:14:56 PM »
Watch a couple of Quiptracks recently. Ghost Rider and the Covenant. Ghost Rider was absolutely great. And the Covenant was a pleasant surprise as the film was so God awful to start with.
You'll DIE Laughing!

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #1730 on: May 27, 2014, 07:47:27 PM »
Just wanted to say if you had any hesitation about picking up the OneWallCinema Cinco de Mustache Special, don't. It's a real treat, especially if you love really corny old commercials.

Also, I think I'm officially defeated by the Darth Geek Christmas iRiff Gift from last year, "The Fat Spy". The riff might be pretty good, but the film is just crushing my will to live every time I try to watch it. I've tried two or three times to make it through this thing and I just can't do it. I don't know how Toast & Rice did. I've liked other stuff he's done, so if you can get through the film you'll probably like the riff, but I'm calling it.

Offline mikelesq

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 73
    • toastandrice.com
« Reply #1731 on: May 31, 2014, 05:08:15 PM »
The riff might be pretty good, but the film is just crushing my will to live every time I try to watch it. I've tried two or three times to make it through this thing and I just can't do it. I don't know how Toast & Rice did.

That's fair.  I'd done one other camp comedy, The Nasty Rabbit, and both of them were pretty tough to riff.  Bad camp is really hard to sit through, riffed or not.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1732 on: May 31, 2014, 06:22:59 PM »
iJust finished watching the Hor-Riff-ic Productions iRiff of Sleepaway Camp again. A very good riff, but one that people tend to forget about. It's an early one, so it doesn't have Satan riffing (except for one small bit).  If you haven't tried this one, give it a watch.
I think the movie itself is actually better than the typical boring 80s slasher, at least in that it has more memorable characters.

I watched the riff with the new BluRay edition of the movie. This is the unedited version (I think the same one that was on the VHS release originally). Unfortunately there are a few spots where the movie drifts due to a shot added in or a few seconds added to a shot. So the riff won't work very well with it. Each of the times it drifts is just a few seconds, so it wasn't that hard for me to sync back up. But the DVD edition from a few years ago works perfectly.

I just want to hit her in the face with a bag full of nails. (It's all in the cheerful way Gary says it)

Sir. Sir, can you turn your pants down, there's a movie going on. Sir?

I love all the robot voice riffs they do when Angela is staring.

I didn't put in my super-adhesive denture crème for nothin'.

MEL SMASH!

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #1733 on: June 01, 2014, 08:27:17 AM »
The riff might be pretty good, but the film is just crushing my will to live every time I try to watch it. I've tried two or three times to make it through this thing and I just can't do it. I don't know how Toast & Rice did.

That's fair.  I'd done one other camp comedy, The Nasty Rabbit, and both of them were pretty tough to riff.  Bad camp is really hard to sit through, riffed or not.

I'd be curious to see your take on something a little more like a Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny or some other really goofy fantasy film. I think it might be a good match for your riffing style.

Offline mikelesq

• Big Montana
    • toastandrice.com
« Reply #1734 on: June 01, 2014, 05:13:11 PM »
I'd be curious to see your take on something a little more like a Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny or some other really goofy fantasy film. I think it might be a good match for your riffing style.

I usually try to do a Christmas short riff every year, and that comes pretty easily.  I think it's because Christmas stories are wacky, and usually aren't trying to be ironic.  I'm thinking about doing a Christmas movie this year, but there aren't that many that haven't been done before and are solidly in the public domain.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1735 on: June 05, 2014, 08:47:45 PM »
JC Walsh iRiff of Red Riding Hood (2011) - This was a very good riff. In particular the audio quality is well done and clear. He doesn't put as much energy in his performance as the top tier iRiff groups, but it's still enough that he never gets tiresome to listen to. Since this movie is one of the more blatant Twilight ripoffs,  there are a lot of jokes about that, but they are varied enough that it never gets old.
This isn't my favorite of his, I seem to recall liking the Voyager episode he did and Werewolf in a Girls Dormitory better. But I'd recommend this one to try out his stuff. It certainly is the only way I would ever suggest watching this awful movie.

Starring Gary Oldman. As a young woman.

Santa Claus, werewolf hunter.

Split up into appetizer sized portions.

Lets sing the song of our people. Fornicate the pain away. Fornicate the pain away. Fornicate the pain away.

Also find that steadycam he walks around with.

So their plan was 'burn freaking everything'.

Offline ithonicfury

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #1736 on: June 05, 2014, 10:33:00 PM »
Just finished watching Voidburger and Bob's Silent Hill riff.
Was really pretty good, a few of Bob's riffs were too quiet, but overall sound quality was very good and it synced up fine

Voidburger is a bit of a Silent Hill nerd, but from what I remember not really many jokes required any kind of knowledge about the games, (the only Silent Hill anything I've ever seen/heard/whatever was Voidburger's Lets Play of 'Silent Hill: Shattered Memories', which from what I understand doesn't even really count, and I didn't run into anything that was too obscure, she kept the game and movie separate for the most part.)

Performances were good, good energy, good delivery, nothing really felt forced. Good pacing of jokes, not too many, not too few riffs.

Overall I'd probably give it a 4/5.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1737 on: June 25, 2014, 09:51:46 PM »
iJust Finished Watching the Cinester Theater iRiff of Frozen (with my DVD, it wasn't BluRay). As usual, this riff is excellent. Their vocal performances and energy are right up there with Rifftrax themselves. Since the movie itself is good, there is a little more breathing room between some of the riffs, so you can enjoy the movie itself as well as the riff.
This isn't my favorite of theirs, that would be March of the Penguins (which does get referenced here, of course). But if you have this movie already, definitely give this one a shot. And if you don't, IMHO it's worth buying the DVD for.

I do like this movie. But aside from the "Let It Go" song, my God all the rest of the songs are sooooo unnecessary and pointless!

(when Elsa first builds Olaf) - Hey, they built Steve Buscemi.

I love the running gag about the lack of furniture.

The fart noise gag was absolutely PERFECT!

(Elsa building her ice castle) - Oh, she's making Liberace's house.

(Oaken shows his homemade suntan lotion) - Don't drink it, though. It gets you FUCKED UP!

(Olaf looking at puddle) - FATHER!

(Anna's hair turning white) - We're running out of animation budget, we have to hurry.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:50:59 AM by Darth Geek »

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 526
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #1738 on: June 26, 2014, 06:10:01 AM »

The movie was just horrible.  The riffing was fine!  Some movies are going to hurt, no matter how good the riffing.  There are MST3k's and Rifftrax that I just can't watch, and it's not because of riff quality.  Some movies are rough.  I think you deserve a medal for being able to riff the entire movie!  I like your riffs, and hope to see more!
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline mikelesq

• Big Montana
    • toastandrice.com
« Reply #1739 on: June 27, 2014, 05:25:25 PM »
The movie was just horrible.  The riffing was fine!  Some movies are going to hurt, no matter how good the riffing.  There are MST3k's and Rifftrax that I just can't watch, and it's not because of riff quality.  Some movies are rough.  I think you deserve a medal for being able to riff the entire movie!  I like your riffs, and hope to see more!

Aw, shucks.

Thanks for the feedback.  One thing going forward, I'm not doing any more un-funny comedies.  I was thinking of doing Scared to Death, but I'm not even going to try.  Trust me, it was tempting to riff George Zucco and Bela Lugosi at the same time, but it has that same too-painful-to-watch quality.