Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 337892 times)

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #1365 on: December 28, 2012, 09:42:59 PM »
Ah, my first short.  Thanks for trying it out.  I wonder if I still have all my source files for that riff.  I might be able to fix that volume issue if I do.  Really don't do a lot of shorts; the material is harder to work with for me than movies.  There is a "short" (45 minutes) called "The Miracle of the Can" who's title has me tempted to riff it but I haven't watched it yet.

The can is a miracle indeed, and I give thanks for that miracle pretty much first thing every morning.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 204
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #1366 on: January 01, 2013, 09:08:31 PM »
Doctor Who: The Movie

I found the riff fairly enjoyable, if a bit "Fonz" heavy throughout (but there's payout for it at the end, so that's not an issue).  However, I shook my head in disbelief in the "Space Mutiny" level of missed opportunity...I know he was unknown then, but not even one joke pointing out Mad TV alum Will Sasso played Pete the autopsy intern?  I was just waiting and waiting for a "Hey, wait a minute!  It's Curly from the Three Stooges!" moment that never came.  Still, I enjoyed it.

Notable quips:
Now, where did I park my car?
I never let strangers into my house...twice!
I hate it when the Tardis eats the bodies.
Right, that thing's gonna happen.  Thanks for reminding me!
There's your problem.  You need to replace that giant fuse.

EDIT: I should probably also point out that this failing is kind of a shame, since it's not as bad as I remember it being.  It's not GREAT, but everyone's having fun (especially Eric Roberts after he gets his ridiculous cape and robe).  It's also a great New Year's watch.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:13:15 PM by SJP »
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1367 on: January 02, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
Toast and Rice iRiff of Messiah of Evil.
An excellent riff of a ...what the hell did I just watch? I think somebody filmed a pocket of the 70s that had gone stale.
Apparently, in a failed attempt at making a forboding atmosphere, this movie just mostly ignores the zombie uprising happening in the nearby town.
I liked this riff even better than the other Toast and Rice riffed shorts. Although the movie is REALLY slow, even with riffing.

Just a personal note: the actor who plays the main girl's father is Royal Dano, who plays the old farmer who finds the UFO circus tent in Killer Klowns From Outer Space, as well as the old farmer who finds the spaceship in Spaced Invaders.

Maybe not the right time for the DOP credit. Given that last scene where you couldn't see anything.

Andy Warhol's Ma and Pa Kettle.

The door plays the brown note.

"I'm an ugly old man, but I'm harmless."-Wasn't that Phil Spetre's pick up line?

Okay, she's confused by the vacuum cleaner sound. Maybe this movie's for dogs.

Pensive and comatose are not the same thing! React to something!

"I can't get any stations in."-It's a humidifier, sweety.

Narcoleptics of the purple sage.

You're talking like you know the rules to this. Please share!

I bet he wishes he has experimented with watercolors right about now.

I loved the setup for the "toddler in a tanning booth" riff.

Offline fireyf

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 179
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
« Reply #1368 on: January 02, 2013, 05:40:18 PM »
Doctor Who: The Movie

I found the riff fairly enjoyable, if a bit "Fonz" heavy throughout (but there's payout for it at the end, so that's not an issue).  However, I shook my head in disbelief in the "Space Mutiny" level of missed opportunity...I know he was unknown then, but not even one joke pointing out Mad TV alum Will Sasso played Pete the autopsy intern?  I was just waiting and waiting for a "Hey, wait a minute!  It's Curly from the Three Stooges!" moment that never came.  Still, I enjoyed it.

Notable quips:
Now, where did I park my car?
I never let strangers into my house...twice!
I hate it when the Tardis eats the bodies.
Right, that thing's gonna happen.  Thanks for reminding me!
There's your problem.  You need to replace that giant fuse.

EDIT: I should probably also point out that this failing is kind of a shame, since it's not as bad as I remember it being.  It's not GREAT, but everyone's having fun (especially Eric Roberts after he gets his ridiculous cape and robe).  It's also a great New Year's watch.
I can't believe I missed making a Three Stooges gag!  It probably never came to mind because I don't like the stooges so I didn't give the movie much mind when it was out.  Still, could have got some good nyuck nyucks in there.  *sigh* Hind site is 20/20.  Thanks for listening and reviewing.

Offline mikelesq

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 73
    • toastandrice.com
« Reply #1369 on: January 02, 2013, 05:46:42 PM »
Toast and Rice iRiff of Messiah of Evil.
An excellent riff of a ...what the hell did I just watch? I think somebody filmed a pocket of the 70s that had gone stale.
Apparently, in a failed attempt at making a forboding atmosphere, this movie just mostly ignores the zombie uprising happening in the nearby town.
I liked this riff even better than the other Toast and Rice riffed shorts. Although the movie is REALLY slow, even with riffing.

Thanks for the feedback.  Glad you liked it.

Yes, this movie was a real snausage.  I watched it about two dozen times in the course of riffing it, and I still have no idea exactly what was supposed to be going on.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1370 on: January 06, 2013, 03:10:25 PM »
Mr. B Natural riff of THEM.
I had been looking forward to trying this one out, hoping it would be better than the other shorter Mr. B Natural riffs I had seen. Sadly it was not. Unfortunately, Mr. B. Natural suffers from the one two punch of having both very little emphesis in vocal performance, and the jokes themselves being more miss than hit. This has the tendancy to make even the best jokes far less funny than they should be. Not only that, but it seems to get more and more sparse as it goes along. In a short this is merely irritating, but for a 90 minute movie it's interminable. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you CAN talk over dialog, as long as that dialog isn't plot dependant, and it doesn't happen too often.

Unfortuantely, I can really only recomend this iRiff to those who have no problem watching KTMA and Season 1 episodes.

Imagine this in 3D.

Looks like someone let one. Oh come off it, Ed, you make that joke at every crime scene. (Not only is this joke told with too monotone a voice, but there is no difference between the two voices to emphesise that it's supposed to be two characters talking to each other.)

Wow, I'm surprised they got away with such a graphic shot of insertion back in the 50s.

I did like the "down down" reference to the gesture professor.

If we kill their puppeteers they'll be out for good.

P.S. Nice ass.

All right, I worked her over pretty good. (an excellent example of a riff that should have been really good, but he says it like he's reading a phone book)

I did like the "blink blink" repeating gag. A good example of a gag that kept getting better as it went along.

His whole "Will the ants rule the world? Stay tuned to this station!" rant is easily the best performance in the whole riff. It was very good.

Oh the entomology. (Really?! You couldn't emphesise THIS riff of all things?)

Ants hoard gold, right?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1371 on: January 06, 2013, 06:05:57 PM »
RoninFox iRiff of The Last Unicorn
RoninFox is always good, no exception here. I think I like their Nightmare on Elm Street and Wizard of Oz riffs better than this, but there is plenty of excellent riffing here. Vocal performance is good, although it is one of their earlier tracks (#4), so they have gotten better since.
Oh wow. When I made the Unicron joke in my writeup for Top iRiffs, I actually didn't know they made that joke in the intro.
Riff volume is too low cmpared to the volume of the sync lines.

Rankin Bass. The stinky fish company.

We got Charlie all over this valley. Open fire! Open fire!

Look, ring my dong dillo, you Bombadil wannabe.

OW! My girlfriends!

Hope you like your Bar-B-Q sauce bold!

You know what? I'm not happy. (it's all in the performance)

Take that! I shall slay thee, potato. Ow!

Finally! Something she can't get mad at me for killing. D'oh!

Offline mr.b.natural

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 109
  • Mr.B you're hot!
« Reply #1372 on: January 06, 2013, 08:05:18 PM »
Well that's my best work so if you don't like it I would say don't bother with my other stuff; it's hard enough selling iriffs without bad reviews. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1373 on: January 06, 2013, 08:07:01 PM »
Yeah, sorry Mr. B. I always try to be as positive as possible, but I had to be honest.

And remember folks, I am not by any means the last word in opinion.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1374 on: January 06, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
To finish the day off, watching Hor-Riff-ic Productions riff of Tremors. Always good for some fun. And the movie is very enjoyable on it's own.

"This is back when you could smoke in movies." "I miss those days. *hacking cough*"

Hey, I hit a Hawaiian Punch line. Get it?

Truck Schlong. From the makers of Truck Nuts.

They're just lucky they're going through Plot Device National Park.

None of that pussy soft rock. We need hard rock! Like Slayer.

Aaaand ERECT!

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #1375 on: January 10, 2013, 10:11:22 PM »
RoninFox iRiff of The Last Unicorn
RoninFox is always good, no exception here. I think I like their Nightmare on Elm Street and Wizard of Oz riffs better than this, but there is plenty of excellent riffing here. Vocal performance is good, although it is one of their earlier tracks (#4), so they have gotten better since.
Oh wow. When I made the Unicron joke in my writeup for Top iRiffs, I actually didn't know they made that joke in the intro.
Riff volume is too low cmpared to the volume of the sync lines.

Rankin Bass. The stinky fish company.

We got Charlie all over this valley. Open fire! Open fire!

Look, ring my dong dillo, you Bombadil wannabe.

OW! My girlfriends!

Hope you like your Bar-B-Q sauce bold!

You know what? I'm not happy. (it's all in the performance)

Take that! I shall slay thee, potato. Ow!

Finally! Something she can't get mad at me for killing. D'oh!

Glad this is still getting some play, I was really proud of it for how odd the recording of it was.  I'm going to have to go back and see if I can fix up the sound on some of my riffs, its always been a challenge to get a good balance to my sound.

I actually forgot all about that Unicron joke too until just now.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1376 on: January 12, 2013, 09:11:21 PM »
FireRiffs iRiff of Josh Kirby Time Warrior: Planet of the Dino Knights. Basically, Doctor Who (as done by Charles Band) visits the set of Quest of the Delta Knights meets Future War.

The riffing was okay, not great. I was surpised to see it came out right around the same time as The Incredible Hulk riff, as this feels like an earlier effort. The performance and jokes in the Incredible Hulk riff were much better, although that one did have the benefit of being a submission track. This one is still worth getting, I do recommend it.
However, why the many gay jokes about the Blacksmith's kid? I didn't get why, and I mention it because it might put some people off.

Only the guy in the orange vest has the skill and training to put the thing on the whatchamacallit.

Yes. That's a phone. His Dad's a scientist.

Try not to look at the special effects.

Yeah...warrior.

Why is she wearing an upholstered taco shell.

I'm posing for the cover of a Danielle Steele novel.

Offline fireyf

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 179
  • Humans are superior!
    • FireRiffs
« Reply #1377 on: January 13, 2013, 10:03:24 AM »
FireRiffs iRiff of Josh Kirby Time Warrior: Planet of the Dino Knights. Basically, Doctor Who (as done by Charles Band) visits the set of Quest of the Delta Knights meets Future War.

The riffing was okay, not great. I was surpised to see it came out right around the same time as The Incredible Hulk riff, as this feels like an earlier effort. The performance and jokes in the Incredible Hulk riff were much better, although that one did have the benefit of being a submission track. This one is still worth getting, I do recommend it.
However, why the many gay jokes about the Blacksmith's kid? I didn't get why, and I mention it because it might put some people off.

Only the guy in the orange vest has the skill and training to put the thing on the whatchamacallit.

Yes. That's a phone. His Dad's a scientist.

Try not to look at the special effects.

Yeah...warrior.

Why is she wearing an upholstered taco shell.

I'm posing for the cover of a Danielle Steele novel.
Oh, those dates on the product pages mean nothing.  None of them are right.  For example, Cinester's Back to the Future shows a date of August 1'st 2012 as when it was uploaded.  I did this riff looong before the Incredible Hulk.  I think this was my third riff.  Must be at least 3 or 4 years ago.  Hopefully I've improved since then.
The jokes about the blacksmith's kid... yeah... at the time I thought something the kid said sounded like that stereotypical, over the top gay voice and I ran with it.  Probably wouldn't go with the same running gag if I did it again, but the feminist Asibeth jokes, those would still be there and if I ever do more of the series will continue.  She is just such a stereotype it's ridiculous.
Thank you for reviewing.  I always appreciate honesty; it helps us improve.

Edit
December 8, 2009 is the date I uploaded Josh Kirby.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 10:14:15 AM by fireyf »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1378 on: January 13, 2013, 10:38:15 AM »
Ok, that makes more sense. Yes, you have gotten better.
The feminist steretype stuff is funny, and still apropriate. Her character is clearly written by a guy.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1379 on: January 13, 2013, 12:13:19 PM »
SAPPTrax_Sacks riff of The Terminator
I wish the female voice had also been a riffer. But there is still variety in voices and you can tell the two guys apart.
Vocal performance is really good. Joke density is nice, not too low.
I do like that they will occasionally laugh at each other's jokes. It's annoying when done too much, but when only done a little, it really gives a feeling of hanging out with your friends.
There is more background hissing in the intro than during the riffs, so don't let that discuorage you.
I would recommend it. Did this group do any more riffs? I couldn't find any. I would check out others of theirs if they did.

Drum machine and synthesizer demo button pressed by Brad Fidel.

What the hell is that encessant knocking. (this is an excellent running gag. Keeps getting funnier)

Now no one can find her. Ha ha! Mission accomplished.

Bobbin' my head to generic 80s rock! (the performance on this is fantastic!)

Consierge! (this one was awesome!)

Filmed in real time!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 04:47:46 PM by Darth Geek »