login

Author Topic: iJust Finished Watching  (Read 337916 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: iJust Finished Watching
« Reply #1140 on: March 18, 2012, 06:55:45 PM »
Ronin Fox Trax riff of Masters of the Universe - I haven't seen this one in a few years, which is why I didn't put it on my Top 25 list. It is very good, and I can see why it made so many lists in order to get #1.

The "not Superman song" theme song.

Is she ribbed for her pleasure.

Why are the pretty ones always so stupid?

Even better reason to grope at it like a congressional page.

I'm just so frustrated living with the Lawgiver.

Assi9.

Blowin' my hair off! Wait...

I'm hunting swackers. uh huh huh huh.

I passed my dialog quota about 40 minutes ago. Dolph tired!

Offline chinagreenelvis

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 10
  • Incinerating Cinema
    • FilmRoasters | The Richmond FilmRoast
« Reply #1141 on: March 19, 2012, 07:16:13 AM »
THese guys come regularly to Arlington and I have seen them a few times.  No CT but nice to see some live riffing from time to time.

Oh, then you're not far from Richmond. Come see us sometime! I'll put you on "the list" so you can get in for free, just for making the hour-and-a-half trip!

A five dollar savings for only a 4 and half hour drive?!  Egads!  That's like I'm making money.

Three hours to and fro tops, plus I assume you'd bring guests. Or maybe it's better to wait until the day we actually start charging people to see us, as opposed to say just doing it as charity work or the theatre.

Offline pezdrake

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #1142 on: March 24, 2012, 07:26:42 AM »
THese guys come regularly to Arlington and I have seen them a few times.  No CT but nice to see some live riffing from time to time.

Oh, then you're not far from Richmond. Come see us sometime! I'll put you on "the list" so you can get in for free, just for making the hour-and-a-half trip!

A five dollar savings for only a 4 and half hour drive?!  Egads!  That's like I'm making money.

Three hours to and fro tops, plus I assume you'd bring guests. Or maybe it's better to wait until the day we actually start charging people to see us, as opposed to say just doing it as charity work or the theatre.

In all seriousness, I would love to come see it some time.

Offline chinagreenelvis

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 10
  • Incinerating Cinema
    • FilmRoasters | The Richmond FilmRoast
« Reply #1143 on: March 24, 2012, 11:19:11 AM »

In all seriousness, I would love to come see it some time.

Actually, maybe I should look into finding out what theater books the Raspberry Bros. up there and make it a travelling show. Especially seeing as how getting them scheduled in our own town is starting to get problematic...

Offline Riffman for Hire

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 98
  • I'm in the riffing business.
« Reply #1144 on: March 24, 2012, 05:48:38 PM »
I finished watching Treacheriffs' riff of Lost in Space.  Three point five out of five stars.  The first hour or so of the riff was absolutely hysterical and I thought it was well on its way to an easy five stars.  But towards the second half, after the Jupiter II crash lands on the planet, the riff just died.  I don't know what happened.  Maybe they ran out of energy or they used too many of their good jokes in the first part, but the second half didn't work for me at all.  Too many pauses and unfunny jokes that missed badly.  The ending got a bit funnier, but it wasn't enough for a full recovery.  I would subscribe to the idea of joke overload because the first part of the riff was stuffed nearly to the breaking point with funny bits.  Of course the movie didn't do them any favors either.  Being a overlong, boring piece of s*&t written by that hack Akiva Goldsman, it's a testament to the riffers' skill that they could make it at all endurable.

Earlier in this thread, Asbetos Bill called it right.  It's too bad really.  Had the energy and excellent quality of the jokes been sustained throughout the whole thing, it would have been the best iriff I've heard to date.  So five stars for the first part and two stars for the second.  The start-strong-and-finish-weak pattern seems to be common in a number of Rifftrax and iriffs that I've heard.

From what I heard, this riff group is currently out of commission.  If so, that's a shame.  Assuming they were to improve the consistency of the riffs throughout, they could've really been a force to be reckoned with.

One other thing I really liked was their Lost in Space remix music video on Youtube.  Great idea and I think more groups should do something like this. 

One last minor point.  There was some background noise but nothing too bad.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #1145 on: March 24, 2012, 07:24:18 PM »
I finished watching Treacheriffs' riff of Lost in Space.  Three point five out of five stars.  The first hour or so of the riff was absolutely hysterical and I thought it was well on its way to an easy five stars.  But towards the second half, after the Jupiter II crash lands on the planet, the riff just died.  I don't know what happened.  Maybe they ran out of energy or they used too many of their good jokes in the first part, but the second half didn't work for me at all.  Too many pauses and unfunny jokes that missed badly.  The ending got a bit funnier, but it wasn't enough for a full recovery.  I would subscribe to the idea of joke overload because the first part of the riff was stuffed nearly to the breaking point with funny bits.  Of course the movie didn't do them any favors either.  Being a overlong, boring piece of s*&t written by that hack Akiva Goldsman, it's a testament to the riffers' skill that they could make it at all endurable.

Earlier in this thread, Asbetos Bill called it right.  It's too bad really.  Had the energy and excellent quality of the jokes been sustained throughout the whole thing, it would have been the best iriff I've heard to date.  So five stars for the first part and two stars for the second.  The start-strong-and-finish-weak pattern seems to be common in a number of Rifftrax and iriffs that I've heard.

From what I heard, this riff group is currently out of commission.  If so, that's a shame.  Assuming they were to improve the consistency of the riffs throughout, they could've really been a force to be reckoned with.

One other thing I really liked was their Lost in Space remix music video on Youtube.  Great idea and I think more groups should do something like this. 

One last minor point.  There was some background noise but nothing too bad.

Apparently I already talked about their stuff, but to possibly reiterate, their riff of Congo is much better overall. It starts off a bit slow, but ends strong. And I don't want to speak for them, but from what I hear, they should be coming out with something new in the near future.

Offline Riffman for Hire

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #1146 on: March 27, 2012, 07:26:36 PM »
Watched Cinester Theater's riff of Total Recall.  Four point five out of five stars.  Another great riff from these guys.  A couple of dead spots and a few jokes that missed but nothing too bad.  Also, I like how they let the movie breathe and didn't stuff it too full of riffs.  They even did a great Arnold impersonation.  The only other problem was the movie times in their readme file were like a minute off.  Maybe it was a different copy.  Otherwise, great stuff.  I'd highly recommend it..

I really hope they get back into the game.  They probably have work and other life issues, but it would be a damn shame if they didn't put out any more material.

"Your sexual orientation?" "What's the one where I like penises, but I don't know want anyone to know?"
"His assistant is the Predator."
"See that saw over there.  You know what to do."
"So there way off getting more air is to start as many fires as possible..."
"Wow, even Tracey Ullman got one."  For some reason, that really cracked me up.
And their riffs of Richter and the window breaking.

And that bit with the videophone and the "he's not in" got me in the preview.  Really funny stuff.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:32:58 PM by Riffman for Hire »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1147 on: March 31, 2012, 05:56:32 PM »
Riff Raff Theater Speed - Riff Raff Theater is always really good, and this is no exception. Most notable for the excellent Dennis Hopper impersonation, making for some hilarious riffs. Definitely recommended!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1148 on: March 31, 2012, 06:45:58 PM »
March of the Penguins by Cinester Theater. Cinester Theater is one of those groups that can just do no wrong! Really missing them, as it has been a year and a half since their last release. I guess Syncy's Revenge was a lot worse than they thought.
The movie itself is really beautifully shot. And while slow, I can see why it was so popular when it came out. Morgan Freeman (that guy from Fled) has a voice that lends itself very well to narration and voicover.

"What smells like fish?" "Eww, that's gross."

"I require more butter!"

"When the chick gets older, it is just a dissebodied head that lives in the-Oh my God that looks uncomfortable!"

"Mom. Mom, uh, getting eaten. Mom."

"Iwannabeinthemovie!"

This one definitely earns the BADASS

If you only watch one iRiff this year...you're a cheap bastard, they only average like 1.99 or so!

Offline K2

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 106
  • Thread Killer. Thread Speed Bump on my best days.
    • OneWallRoom.com
« Reply #1149 on: April 01, 2012, 09:31:45 AM »
I just watched One Wall Cinema’s riff of The Shadow and I hate to say it, but this one didn’t work for me.  Two stars out of five.  I really don’t like giving out negative reviews, but I have to be honest.

Here’s some specific problems I had.

The opening skit with Words with Friends didn’t work for me.  It felt really forced and unfunny and by the two minute mark I wanted it to end.

A number of the jokes were repetitive.  For example, the “where will you be when diarrhea strikes?”.  And in particular, the bit where you keep mentioning about Margo Lane leaving Cranston’s place.  The joke was hit on so many times that it became extremely tiresome and I found myself tuning out on the riff.  I know it’s hard to be diverse in the jokes with a two hour movie—I have the same problem in my riffs—but I think it might help next time to go through the script, catch points of repetition and change them.  Unless perhaps the callbacks have more of a payoff.  Here, I felt that they didn’t.

I felt that you passed over a number of prime riffing opportunities.  For example, when Shiwan Kahn was in the restaurant.  “You Americans are so arrogant.”  Something like: “NO, WE’RE NOT!!!”  Also when he jumped out the restaurant window, there was nothing.

The use of single shot guns.  If they had given Lane a revolver or a Tommy gun, it would have been a much shorter movie.  Or something along those lines.

The cleanliness of the hotel.  How can the hotel be cleaned if nobody in the city can see the building?  Did the Mongol warriors do it in their spare time?

Observations like that, I felt, could have made the riff funnier.

The energy level of the riff seemed to fluctuate a lot too.  Sometimes you guys sounded really enthusiastic and you were laughing.  Sometimes it sounded low and monotone.  A more consistent energy level might help.

Bleeping the profanity.  I have the same problem with Rifftrax.  I’d suggest either using the profanity or just leaving it out altogether.  Bleeping it out seems like a poor compromise to me.

Further, I think you guys were too kind to this film.  I think it needed more of a shellacking in the humor.  More pungent, wry zingers that ridiculed the film’s poor plot and pacing and the hammy overacting.

On the plus side, you guys did have good chemistry together.  Some of the jokes were funny and I did laugh.  Like the one about having Margo stay and rip the skin off her face.  The audio quality was all right, although some of the lines were a bit too soft and I had trouble hearing the sync lines in the director’s voice.  A pitch change might work better.

It wasn’t a total disaster where I didn’t laugh once.  But the funny jokes were few and far between.  Perhaps this riff might have suffered in comparison to Die Hard 2, where I was laughing the whole way through.  In this case, by the end I wasn’t really laughing at all.

Please note, this is only one reviewer’s opinion.  Humor is very subjective and what person might find hysterical, another person might find unfunny.
(Takes me a while to catch up on the boards, apologies) Just wanted to say thanks for the input. Sounds like you had some pretty interesting ideas and hopefully you'll toss some material our way when we take scripts next time. A couple things on my end, I wanted to clarify the scene where Khan jumped out the window. Admittedly it was kind of a tough one to pick up but our intent was to coax the listener into imagining that he shouted "awesome!" At least that's what it sounded like to us. So we did take a shot at putting a joke in there. Execution may not have been there I guess. As far as the bleeping of profanity goes, our mother watches these, as does her pastor. I've had one "emergency prayer meeting for my soul" in my life and that's plenty for me. Granted, it's obvious what's being bleeped but at the very least she doesn't have to hear her boy say "fuck" "shit" or "nipple". Anyway that's all I wanted to clear up. I did want you to help me understand your suggestion of "NO, WE'RE NOT!!" because I don't think I quite get it. Though I'll be one of the first to tell you that I can be a bit spacey and miss obvious things.

Offline Riffman for Hire

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #1150 on: April 01, 2012, 05:04:59 PM »
The "NO, WE'RE NOT!!!" line was meant to be an ironic joke.  By responding to "You Americans are so arrogant," with "No, we're not!" in a loud, arrogant tone, it was meant to imply that Americans are in fact arrogant.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #1151 on: April 02, 2012, 09:05:57 AM »
A couple things on my end, I wanted to clarify the scene where Khan jumped out the window. Admittedly it was kind of a tough one to pick up but our intent was to coax the listener into imagining that he shouted "awesome!" At least that's what it sounded like to us. So we did take a shot at putting a joke in there. Execution may not have been there I guess.

No, that worked. That was the best line in the riff, I thought. I mostly do agree with Riffman for Hire, though. I don't think I enjoyed it as much as you two did making it.

As for bleeping, I think it's often funnier that way. I don't even remember what it was in The Shadow, but just in general.

Offline K2

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 106
  • Thread Killer. Thread Speed Bump on my best days.
    • OneWallRoom.com
« Reply #1152 on: April 02, 2012, 07:59:31 PM »
The "NO, WE'RE NOT!!!" line was meant to be an ironic joke.  By responding to "You Americans are so arrogant," with "No, we're not!" in a loud, arrogant tone, it was meant to imply that Americans are in fact arrogant.
Ah.

Offline Riffman for Hire

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #1153 on: April 06, 2012, 06:23:26 PM »
Watched the Dracula iriff from Insert Coins to Continue.  Four out of five stars.  A good, solid riff.  Some nice laughs and I liked the use of his sound effects, particularly the Star Wars sounds with the lightsaber during sword swings and Vlad the Impaler screaming "NO!" like Vader in Revenge of the Sith.  And some of the lines like "Count Crackula" really cracked me up--no pun intended.  A few quiet spots and some jokes missed, but it wasn't bad at all.  The opening intro music was loud and annoying in my opinion, but thankfully it was over quickly.

One thing I didn't like, though, was that he disparaged the movie a lot, which I felt wasn't fair.  I think Bram Stoker's Dracula is actually a very good movie and Coppola did a fantastic job with the direction and the cinematography.  And calling the scene where Dracula climbs along the wall the stupidest movie scene ever.  Really?  Even as a joke?  I guess he hadn't seen any of the Twilight films when he made this riff.  Sparkly vampires are stupider than anything in all of Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Aside from that critique, I'd recommend the riff.

Looking back over the prior reviews in this thread, there's a few other iriffs I'm looking at for possible purchases in the future.  Robocop by Cinester Theater, The Terminator by SAPPTrax, Temple of Doom by Drawback Productions, Krull by Vox-o-rox, Drive Angry by J.C. Walsh and others.  So many iriffs, so little money ;)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1154 on: April 08, 2012, 07:35:28 PM »
iJust finished The Forgotten by Quiptracks. Good riff, as to be expected from them. They have never failed to satisfy. The movie is really slow, though, and drags it down. The movie takes it's inherantly silly premis WAY too seriously, but is just soooo stupid. Had it had a little more fun with the notion of aliens just messing with people for the hell of it, it would have at least been bearable.

Also, watching it again after having seen the new Ghost Rider. The scene at the end where we see the bad guy's face mildly change (the only thing we actually see that is even vaguely alien) was silly already, but seeing it now, it really looks like that equally goofy scene with Ghost Rider partially transforming, so it just adds another layer of silliness to it.

"This concludes 'It Was Aliens', a short film by M. Night Shyamalan."

LOVED the QuestAir commercial.

"We've learned some amusing alternate lyrics to Jingle Bells."

"I remember pushing a bowling ball through my uterus. Why would I have done that?"

"You're crushing my squidelyspooch." (a great place for it, and I am a sucker for any Invader Zim reference)