Author Topic: CYBER MONDAY WARNING!!  (Read 136 times)

Offline stethacantus

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 19
CYBER MONDAY WARNING!!
« on: November 27, 2017, 06:25:49 AM »
Amazon is up to their old tricks again. There are suppose to be discounts today. But the 12 items I had been tracking this past week were all jacked up in price today. For example, the Wonder Woman Blu-Ray, originally retailing at $35 and has since dropped in retail value to $11, and as of yesterday was priced on Amazon at $6.99, jumped immediately to $19.99 right after midnight. That is a nearly 300% markup on the Amazon site. Other items I was tracking jumped up to anywhere from 200% to 500%, while the ones that did not jump in price showed no discount at all.

I am going to check back later today to see if there is any downward price adjustment, but it looks like once again Amazon is luring us in with deals on limited stocked items, then jacking up the price on all the popular items.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 06:56:03 AM by stethacantus »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2147
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: CYBER MONDAY WARNING!!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 08:12:26 AM »
Amazon uses algorithms to set prices, so when stuff gets popular or the quantity gets low the prices go up automatically.  The items you were watching probably had discount algorithms that were only in place for the weekend, at midnight Sunday the normal algorithm took over.

The lack of human interaction for pricing everyday items got them in trouble after the hurricanes this year when the price of bottled water started to skyrocket. 

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2191
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 08:45:27 AM »
Wonder Woman was a Black Friday deal (That I pounced on.) They did it to compete with the big box stores that were offering the same pricing. Now we're doing Cyber Monday deals. They can't be the same deals, so some things are gonna go up.

Offline stethacantus

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 02:07:21 PM »

If it was a Black Friday deal, then why was it still $6.99 on Sunday? Also, last week it was $9.99.  So even if we accept that $6.99 was the Black Friday sales price, it is still 200% more than the current base price. 

Amazon uses that algorithm excuse every year. Basically, some computer working for Amazon has the ability to raise or lower prices based on how hot they are selling, or if they haven't sold in a while. Supposedly every waits until midnight then clicks the buy button. The algorithm senses that sales have gone up, and raises the price while the item is still in everyone's shopping cart. Actual humans working for Amazon discover the markup and return the item to the intended price. But after five Cyber Mondays in a row where that happened, you would think by now they would have fixed it. How hard can it be to program a price lock?

BTW, I checked out camelcamelcamel.com, and they show that between the 18th and now, Wonder Woman went through violent price fluctuations, where even on Black Friday the price jumped up. Consider yourself lucky you got Wonder Woman to the checkout before the price jumped.

My problem with this is that even blaming the algorithm, Amazon still has no price guarantee system in place that rebates any price jump back to the sales price. So basically, anyone who paid $20 or more for Wonder Woman this weekend won't get a refund. They are making a lot of money on their mistake, and are doing nothing to fix it.

Offline stethacantus

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 07:55:31 AM »
Well, I checked back frequently yesterday and found no bargains, and a lot of prices higher than usual. And whenever I did find a bargain, as with Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2, it was an Amazon Prime exclusive, meaning if you were not an Amazon Prime member then you were locked out of buying it. Found a lot of bargains elsewhere, like on Target and Wal*Mart.

The site camelcamelcamel charts the prices on almost every Amazon item. It is not perfect, as it does not check the price every minute resulting in a squared off graph, but you can get the idea. The first graph is for Wonder Woman. I was not actually going to buy it, as I am still waiting for an extended cut unrated ultimate edition, as Warner always ends up releasing. But while looking to see if any were available for pre-order, saw the price on the normal release of Wonder Woman and decided to track it for Cyber Monday. Beginning around Halloween Amazon lowered the price to around $15, however private sellers had it around $11. Then just before Thanksgiving week Amazon reset the price to $19.99. This looks just like an old trick a lot of stores did just prior to upcoming sales. They would raise the price of items a week earlier, then cut the price back to normal retail on the sale day and claim it  was 40% off. The price drops on Black Friday to $6.99, but then the graph shows evidence of it steadily rising, then suddenly spiking back at $19.99. Then you see a lot of readjustments over the weekend as Amazon kept lowering it again. I can say that it was around $9.99 when I checked the price Friday afternoon, and they had lowered it back to $6.99 as of 11pm Sunday. The final spike back to $19.99 is Cyber Monday, where the price remains.

Another film I was tracking was the latest Planet of the Apes film. It was lowered to $7.99 Black Friday, then immediately began to rise, with a huge spike on Cyber Monday.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2147
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 08:28:21 AM »
So you are complaining that the prices on cyber Monday are not as low as black Friday?  That has pretty much always been the case, I've never seen big hype for deals on cyber Monday, it's just the day people go back to work and spend the day on the computer shopping instead of working.

Now that most people have good internet at home and can online shop all holiday weekend I don't know why it's even still a thing...

Offline stethacantus

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 03:25:47 PM »
Actually, I am complaining because every year Amazon hypes Cyber Monday as the day you get discounts on most if not all of their DVDs and Blu-rays, and it never happens. And each year I get suckered in by the hype looking for a bargain on their expensive box sets, and the prices on those things go up instead of down. I have seen better bargains on random days. Everything 20% to 40% off my ass!!  More like an added 20% to 40%.

And yes, Cyber Monday is supposed to be a thing. Last I checked it was supposedly making more money than Black Friday. Right now Amazon is competing with Target, Barnes and Noble, Wal*Mart, KMart, Best Buy and M*A*Y *C*Ys, all trying to launch their own online shopping service. Not to mention competition from online companies like Overstock.com. the last thing they need is to lose customers to the competition. And that's exactly what will happen if they all offer better deals on Cyber Monday.