login

Author Topic: GREAT OUTRAGE  (Read 6859 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2517
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: GREAT OUTRAGE
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2008, 04:39:26 AM »
They should make it a reality show. And then like most reality show contest winners, you'd never hear from them again. As God intended!

I prefer a steel cage myself.

10 Curly's enter, one walks out with functioning eyes.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2008, 04:43:36 AM »
They should make it a reality show. And then like most reality show contest winners, you'd never hear from them again. As God intended!

See I'd be down with that only they need to have the element missing from most elimination reality shows right now(but which should be added to all);

The lights dim, we hear the sound of a silencer, the eliminated contestants body is removed for disposal.

Doc Steve

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2008, 06:41:50 AM »
Here's hoping that terrorist attack Biden was talking about happens and it takes out Hollywood before this can happen.

What's next the Epic movie guys making a Marx brothers movie?!

Someone please shoot me in the head!

So, in your opinion, the Farrelly brothers are on the same level as the hacks that made Epic Movie?

What?

This is an old story. This has been in the works for years. I read a story about this production back in 2004, 2005.

I'm not Doctor Who?, but YES.   I think the Farrelly Bros. are no better than the bottom of the comedy compost heap. 

Doctor Who?

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2008, 07:35:24 AM »
Yeah Dumb and Dumber is one of the worst comedies ever made.

I am not even that big a fan of the stooges but i would rather have all my teeth pulled out then watch this thing happen.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2008, 12:46:54 PM »
Sorry, but Dumb and Dumber was not on the same level as Epic Movie. Dumb and Dumber was actually well put together and fully aware of the fact that it derives humor from stupid situations. While not every Farrelly brothers movie is a gem, they made some very funny movies. Kingpin and There's Something About Mary, for example.

Perhaps you two were thinking of Dumb and Dumberer, the crappy sequel that the Farrellys had nothing to do with?

I don't particularly understand why one who is "not a big fan of the Stooges" even gives a shit. If you don't like the idea, there will be three million other movies released in the same year for you to pick and choose from. It's not as if this is the end of the world.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 09:55:04 PM by Isaac »
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Doc Steve

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2008, 12:53:49 PM »
Sorry, but Dumb and Dumber was not on the same level as Epic Movie. Dumb and Dumber was actually well put together and fully aware of the fact that it derives humor from stupid situations. While not every Farrely brothers movie is a gem, they made some very funny movies. Kingpin and There's Something About Mary, for example.

Perhaps you two were thinking of Dumb and Dumberer, the crappy sequel that the Farrelys had nothing to do with?

I don't particularly understand why one who is "not a big fan of the Stooges" even gives a shit. If you don't like the idea, there will be three million other movies released in the same year for you to pick and choose from. It's not as if this is the end of the world.

I'm sorry I had forgotten just how sophisticated the Farrelly Bros. really were.  I mean, it takes real talent to make a joke about sucking off a bull or a developmentally disabled person...

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2008, 12:59:35 PM »
Sorry, but Dumb and Dumber was not on the same level as Epic Movie. Dumb and Dumber was actually well put together and fully aware of the fact that it derives humor from stupid situations. While not every Farrely brothers movie is a gem, they made some very funny movies. Kingpin and There's Something About Mary, for example.

Perhaps you two were thinking of Dumb and Dumberer, the crappy sequel that the Farrelys had nothing to do with?

I'm sorry I had forgotten just how sophisticated the Farrelly Bros. really were.  I mean, it takes real talent to make a joke about sucking off a bull or a developmentally disabled person...

I didn't say that they were sophisticated. I said that their movies feature stupidity that is actually well put together and intentional, wheras the idiots that made Epic Movie believe that they are making movies that are absolutely brilliant.

Okay, let's just do a little comparison. Here is the Rotten Tomatoes page for There's Something About Mary:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/theres_something_about_mary/

And here's the Rotten Tomatoes page for Epic Movie:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/epic_movie/

HUGE difference.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 01:04:47 PM by Isaac »

Offline doggans

• Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2008, 01:02:38 PM »
Even if you don't find the Farrelly Bros. funny (I can take 'em or leave 'em, personally), you have to admit that they at least try to have jokes in their movies.

Offline Dim of the Yard

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • Do the Servo Swivel!
    • Dim's Twitter Page
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2008, 01:22:56 PM »
I grew up with the Stooges, but I'm more fond of the Marx Brothers nowadays.  At any rate, I suppose I'll have to wait until they at least announce who they're casting before I get worked up over it.

Doc Steve

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2008, 01:26:43 PM »

I didn't say that they were sophisticated. I said that their movies feature stupidity that is actually well put together and intentional, wheras the idiots that made Epic Movie believe that they are making movies that are absolutely brilliant.

Okay, let's just do a little comparison. Here is the Rotten Tomatoes page for There's Something About Mary:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/theres_something_about_mary/

And here's the Rotten Tomatoes page for Epic Movie:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/epic_movie/

HUGE difference.

Pol Pot is responsible for the deaths of 3 million people(not counting the deaths of actual combatants).

Adolf Hitler is responsible for the death of 5 million people (not counting the deaths of actual combatants). 

HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Clearly, Pol Pot was really a stand-up guy...

Sorry for the tasteless analogy.  My point is no matter how you slice it, it's still just baloney.  Saying that Dumb and Dumber is "better" than Epic Movie is strictly true.  HOWEVER, that's not a particularly meaningful distinction. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 01:38:27 PM by Doc Steve »

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2008, 06:01:36 PM »
Did you even look at the reviews? Epic Movie got close to zero good reviews. The RT average was 2 out of 10. There's Something About Mary was 81% positive reviews. Pretty much every critic thought it was hilarious. I'm not saying the critics are right, and you have a right to disagree with them (and me) about the Farrelly brothers making funny movies, but there's no way you can say that they are as bad at making comedies as Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer.

I hate Eminem's music, but I would never compare it to Soulja Boy.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 09:54:42 PM by Isaac »

Doc Steve

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2008, 08:27:09 PM »
Did you even look at the reviews? Epic Movie got close to zero good reviews. The RT average was 2 out of 10. There's Something About Mary was 81% positive reviews. Pretty much every critic thought it was hilarious. I'm not saying the critics are right, and you have a right to disagree with them (and me) about the Farrely brothers making funny movies, but there's no way you can say that they are as bad at making comedies as Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer.

It's just a difference of opinion.  In my mind, Kingpin is closer to Epic Movie than it is to Some Like It Hot.  People will be talking about Billy Wilder for at least another fifty years.  I doubt anyone then will still care about Friedburg, Seltzer, and the Farrely Bros.  Like I said, the Brothers' movies are better, but I wouldn't say they are RADICALLY better.  Scatalogical humor is still scatalogical humor.  You really can't go much lower.   

Doctor Who?

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2008, 09:06:07 PM »
So if RT says something is good i have to like it by law?

Just because I am not a not a big fan doesn't mean that I don't like watching them once in a while.

Nobody can can't replace the stooges.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2008, 09:35:04 PM »
Did you even look at the reviews? Epic Movie got close to zero good reviews. The RT average was 2 out of 10. There's Something About Mary was 81% positive reviews. Pretty much every critic thought it was hilarious. I'm not saying the critics are right, and you have a right to disagree with them (and me) about the Farrelly brothers making funny movies, but there's no way you can say that they are as bad at making comedies as Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer.

It's just a difference of opinion.  In my mind, Kingpin is closer to Epic Movie than it is to Some Like It Hot.  People will be talking about Billy Wilder for at least another fifty years.  I doubt anyone then will still care about Friedburg, Seltzer, and the Farrely Bros.  Like I said, the Brothers' movies are better, but I wouldn't say they are RADICALLY better.  Scatalogical humor is still scatalogical humor.  You really can't go much lower.   

There's a huge difference. The Farrelly brothers put a lot more effort into their jokes -- whether or not they are scatological -- than the guys that made Epic Movie. Take There's Something About Mary. They set up their jokes, scenes, characters, and situations pretty elaborately. In Epic Movie, you are automatically supposed to find it funny when a bad imitation of a popular movie character pops up on the screen and gives a bad reading of the exact same lines he or she spoke in the original film. The Friedberg/Seltzer movies are supposed to be parodies, but they don't actually "parody" anything. They show bad imitations of popular movies. That is why Friedberg and Seltzer fail at comedy. Comedy is very subjective. Not everyone has the same tastes in humor. But there is such a thing as failed comedy, and that is lazy comedy. Comedy in which absolutely no thought is put into the jokes at all. Friedberg and Seltzer had one too many beer bong hits to know the difference between what does and doesn't make a successful joke. The Farrelly brothers -- whether you like them or not -- put more thought into their jokes than the Epic Movie guys. Dumb & Dumber was actually a well-crafted comedy in which the main characters are complete morons who think, early on in the film, that their bird's head "fell off".

It's one thing not to like something, but to compare humor that doesn't fit your tastes to failed humor is just not being fair. Scatological humor isn't necessarily unfunny, and there's a huge difference between well put together scatological humor and failed scatological humor. Did you ever see Outside Providence? Not one bit of gross-out humor. Their work isn't 100% gross-out humor. Some of their funniest jokes weren't scatological. According to this, the Farrelys want to make their Stooges movie PG or PG-13.

So if RT says something is good i have to like it by law?

That's not what I said at all. Read the original post. What I said was "You don't have to agree with this, but you can't possibly say that [such and such] is as bad as [such and such]."
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 10:07:11 PM by Isaac »

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1648
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2008, 12:57:01 AM »
People will be talking about Billy Wilder for at least another fifty years.

I'd hate to agree with the troll but who talks about Billy Wilder now? let alone in 50 more years?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)