login

Author Topic: The Wire  (Read 1350 times)

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
The Wire
« on: December 08, 2006, 01:48:43 PM »
Anyone here watch The Wire?  I think it's one of the most compelling shows I've ever seen.  I don't have HBO, so I've just been renting it. The principal actors are all top notch, and I especially like Dominic West (McNulty) and Wendell Pierce (Bunk), their chemistry is perfect.

I just started the third season, so don't spoil anything for me, but does it stay as good as the first two seasons? My only complaint is that the show isn't widescreen like other HBO dramas, but that's a nit-pick.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 766
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Re: The Wire
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 02:35:39 PM »
Great show. I need to get them on DVD.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 07:28:59 PM »
I wish HBO didn't charge you your firstborn for their DVD sets though.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 766
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 08:18:46 PM »
I wish HBO didn't charge you your firstborn for their DVD sets though.

I won't buy 'em new. $70-$100 msrp for 8-13 episodes is a rip in this day and age. I wait to find them used.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 03:23:03 PM »
Anyone here watch The Wire?  I think it's one of the most compelling shows I've ever seen.  I don't have HBO, so I've just been renting it. The principal actors are all top notch, and I especially like Dominic West (McNulty) and Wendell Pierce (Bunk), their chemistry is perfect.

I just started the third season, so don't spoil anything for me, but does it stay as good as the first two seasons? My only complaint is that the show isn't widescreen like other HBO dramas, but that's a nit-pick.

Yes, it definitely does stay as good as the first two seasons.  The third season in many ways is my favorite, although the fourth season (which just ended) is every bit as compelling and great.  I'm a big fan of Lester Freamon. 

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 07:13:24 AM »
Holy crap, having just seen the second episode of Season 5  On Demand, I think this could be the best year yet for this show.  First of all, I'm incredibly impressed at how a show like this can introduce new characters each year and not once do I feel like, "What the hell?  Where are all the characters I already care about?  Why are we wasting time on these people I DON'T care about?"  Already, the news reporters feel like a seamless integration into the show, and having had some experience working for the news, I have to say it feels pretty accurate, watching as they deconstruct articles and call out one of their workers for incorrect useage of the word "evacuate."  Whatever show David Simon wants to create next, I'll definitely be there watching.