Author Topic: Spiderman, Rebooted  (Read 48479 times)

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
Re: Spiderman 4
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 04:11:23 AM »
Sam isn't the problem (even though he kind of is).

Yeah, he kind of is. :P

As much as I love Sam, he really dropped the ball by having Marko going from a two-bit criminal to becoming Ben's killer. That badly misfired, and that was all his call....no suits involved.

Secondly, I don't know how his brother, Ivan, became involved in the writing process for 3, but it possibly went a little something like this...

http://www.purpleslinky.com/Humor/Satire/How-Ivan-Raimi-Got-to-Write-Spiderman-3.159663

Why Sam & Ivan meddled with Sargent  and the S3 screenplay is beyond me in light of the success of S2.

Now on the other hand,  Sam wasn't the problem with the inclusion of Venom & Gwen Stacy. That was all Avi Arad, and it all became an amalgamation of poop.

Lastly, I habitually attempt to look for the positive in everything, and Spidey 3 is pretty taxing.

Sam's batting 2-for-3, so my trust is still w/ him.

None of the Spiderman movies were good movies. Frankly, none of them were even good COMIC movies (which is measured on a different scale than regular movies).

The first two installments of Spiderman provided everything I enjoy about the franchise in general, they were fun (regardless of some of the creative liberties Sam employed). I will never claim them to be anything other than that. If I want some substance on multiple scales, that's where Buffy comes into play.

I think they should do a reboot in five years and when they get to Vemon they shouldn't be afraid to go for an R rating so they can do him right.

I'll be forging a colony on Mars before a Spiderman movie obtains an "R" rating.  :D

Now after thinking about it for a minute, as a possible villain for 4...this would be outstanding....

But I digress, I just want some more news!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Doctor Who?

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 06:37:12 AM »
Yeah but didn't they do him in Daredevil?

I really hope they take their time with Spiderman 4 because there is a lot they need to work on if this movie is going to turn out good.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 10:01:10 AM »
I don't think it's Sam's fault, per se. It's not like he has to make sucky movies. He just took the wrong approach. Maybe it was just the screenwriters. Maybe it was the casting. I mean I think he did screw up Army of Darkness pretty royally, but at least he admits it. Darkman was perfect. If Spider-Man had been like that, no problem. The Gift didn't suddenly have a musical number in it. A Simple Plan might as well be an unfunny Coen Brothers movie. I didn't see the f'ing baseball movie though. Maybe he just has a problem with sequels. Spidey 2 and 3 did make similar mistakes to the Evil Dead franchise. Though I think the humor in ED2 is perfect, you can admit that it's not in the same spirit as the first Evil Dead, and the injection of over the top Three Stooges humor in AOD follows suit a little, but it just gets further away from the source. That's pretty close to the Spidey franchise. Each one went a little further with the humor, the crying over relationships, the blaming of deaths, the fight scenes, etc. And so if the first one is good, and you keep getting further away from that, you keep getting further away from good. In the end, you have to blame Hollywood. Raimi isn't the Hollywood type, and the whole "bigger and better" sequel formula doesn't suit his style of filmmaking. But he was forced to use it. It IS a good argument not to have him do any more sequels. I think he'd be okay to still produce them. Get Zack Snyder to direct. He hates Superman. It follows that if you hate Superman, you must like Spider-Man.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 10:27:26 AM »
I just wish they would let Spiderman have a sense of humor.

In the comics he is always cracking wise and that is one of the things that helps them get away with someone like kraven.  They use Spiderman to point out how silly he looks.  Where was that in the movies?

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 12:17:58 PM »

Sure, but I have never had any intentions on seeing the Daredevil picture.  :)

It makes sense, and it would be neat to see Sam explore the humanity within the big man. As source material goes, you can really work on the Spiderman/Jameson dynamic by using Kingpin's ordered abduction of Jonah as well. Finally, for fun and I don't believe it would get too untidy or overtly chaotic, you could introduce the Maggia.

It's just a playful thought.

I still believe a Kraven/Chameleon flick would work wonders too. And for the love of anything, cast Bruce Campbell as Mysterio! 

Totally. Along with being a tragic figure who makes mistakes, his sense-of-humor is what I adore about Spiderman. But yeah, it's been lost throughout the first 3 installments, and is one-of-two lighthearted bones I've to pick w/ Sam.  ;)

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Doc Steve

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 01:27:09 PM »

It makes sense, and it would be neat to see Sam explore the humanity within the big man. As source material goes, you can really work on the Spiderman/Jameson dynamic by using Kingpin's ordered abduction of Jonah as well. Finally, for fun and I don't believe it would get too untidy or overtly chaotic, you could introduce the Maggia.

I still believe a Kraven/Chameleon flick would work wonders too. And for the love of anything, cast Bruce Campbell as Mysterio! 

Totally. Along with being a tragic figure who makes mistakes, his sense-of-humor is what I adore about Spiderman. But yeah, it's been lost throughout the first 3 installments, and is one-of-two lighthearted bones I've to pick w/ Sam.  ;)

Serious fans of the Lee/Ditko era will recall that Spider-Man often won battles by bluffing or rattling his opponents.  His ability to keep running his mouth often undermined the bad guys' morale.  IIRC, Kraven severely underestimated him during their first encounter because Spidey was so flippant. 

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 03:03:43 PM »
In Sam I trust.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Doctor Who?

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 06:38:38 PM »

Serious fans of the Lee/Ditko era will recall that Spider-Man often won battles by bluffing or rattling his opponents.  His ability to keep running his mouth often undermined the bad guys' morale.  IIRC, Kraven severely underestimated him during their first encounter because Spidey was so flippant. 

yeah that is why I like the 90s cartoon more then the new movies.

Spiderman acted like Spiderman.

Also we got Shield's flying fortress and they used magic when called for.

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2008, 06:11:42 PM »
Though I think the humor in ED2 is perfect, you can admit that it's not in the same spirit as the first Evil Dead, and the injection of over the top Three Stooges humor in AOD follows suit a little, but it just gets further away from the source.

The first Evil Dead movie had Three Stooges influences as well (watch some of the commentaries on the DVD - you'll see it).  There was humor there, but it lurked beneath the surface.  Personally, I think Evil Dead 2 improved on its predecessor in every conceivable way.  I even think the scary bits of ED2 were scarier than the ones in the first movie.
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2008, 06:40:48 PM »
Though I think the humor in ED2 is perfect, you can admit that it's not in the same spirit as the first Evil Dead, and the injection of over the top Three Stooges humor in AOD follows suit a little, but it just gets further away from the source.

The first Evil Dead movie had Three Stooges influences as well (watch some of the commentaries on the DVD - you'll see it).  There was humor there, but it lurked beneath the surface.  Personally, I think Evil Dead 2 improved on its predecessor in every conceivable way.  I even think the scary bits of ED2 were scarier than the ones in the first movie.

Those points are all valid. However, ED1's tree rape still trumps ED2. ;)
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2009, 01:28:04 PM »

Boooooooooooooo...

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/700773/NO-Rachel-McAdams-Black-Cat-For-Spider-Man-4.html

I knew McAdams as Black Cat/Felicia Hardy was too good to be true. That would've been so perfect. Moreover, what in the hell...

"However, it seems highly unlikely that the film will go in this direction, given not only the potential Curt Connors/Lizard storyline, but another late-breaking "way out there" rumor that SM4 will feature Peter Parker and Mary Jane with a child."

Fuck me!   :D

Can I please write the reboot in '14, Sony?  :)

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 151
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2009, 01:57:32 PM »
That rumor is based on a casting call for a red headed toddler. There are people who take this to also mean Cletus "Carnage" Kassady and Doc Conner's son.
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2009, 10:05:38 AM »

The only way Carnage will ever be a part of this franchise is if Arad forces Sam into placing him in it. I'm sure whenever the Venom franchise is booted up, he'll be there as he would obviously fit the tone much better there.

Ack, now Stiles auditioned for the role of the Black Cat!   :D

If McAdams isn't being considered, someone hook up Elisha Cuthbert w/ an audition, please.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2009, 10:47:48 AM »
This disdain of Spiderman 3 is just something I'll never understand.  It wasn't good, but neither were 1 and 2.

Offline CrowTeeRobot

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 19
  • GOOD OLD STALIN DAYS
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2009, 10:57:52 AM »
This disdain of Spiderman 3 is just something I'll never understand.  It wasn't good, but neither were 1 and 2.

Yes, but 1 and 2 didn't have street dancing scenes, Spider-Man hitting women, and Topher Grace as Venom.

Goddamned Topher Grace! Damnit!
-Luke

"Most people skip spraying themselves in adhesive and rolling around in crepe hair, but I want to do it right." -Rob, regarding a Zardoz costume