Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 116631 times)

jasimon1

Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #750 on: February 15, 2013, 09:12:10 AM »
They are never going to check on it. Just throw an associate's degree on the resume. Especially if you're looking at mostly small places. If they do check and call you out on it, it's probably a good sign you don't want to work there anyway.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #751 on: February 15, 2013, 09:20:14 AM »
They are never going to check on it. Just throw an associate's degree on the resume. Especially if you're looking at mostly small places. If they do check and call you out on it, it's probably a good sign you don't want to work there anyway.

I have actually been really tempted to do that, although the place I work now checks on that sort of thing, and if you start working there and they find out you lied on your resume they'll fire you. They did it to one guy who was working here nearly three months -- fired his ass because he lied about something on his resume. So that part would kind of suck.

But seriously, I have been tempted to make up some college education. I still might do it, even though I'd have to invent a small back story.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3789
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #752 on: February 15, 2013, 10:12:11 AM »

I have actually been really tempted to do that, although the place I work now checks on that sort of thing, and if you start working there and they find out you lied on your resume they'll fire you. They did it to one guy who was working here nearly three months -- fired his ass because he lied about something on his resume. So that part would kind of suck.

But seriously, I have been tempted to make up some college education. I still might do it, even though I'd have to invent a small back story.
Graduate from the School of Hard Knocks 8)

jasimon1

« Reply #753 on: February 15, 2013, 10:18:02 AM »

If they do call you out on it, say you did all the work required for the degree but because of some technically that they changed at the last minute you didn't actually get it. That's what happened with my associates but since I was already enrolled somewhere to get my bachelors, I really didn't care about it.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #754 on: February 15, 2013, 11:37:02 AM »

If they do call you out on it, say you did all the work required for the degree but because of some technically that they changed at the last minute you didn't actually get it. That's what happened with my associates but since I was already enrolled somewhere to get my bachelors, I really didn't care about it.

I kind of feel that if a potential employer is going to be so stupid about college degrees and overlook my years of experience, along with my organizational skills, reliability and my overall presentation just because I lack that piece of paper, then I don't really want to work for them anyway. I'd rather a place see me and judge me based on my own merits, and not because of any false front I might present.

But who knows, I might get desperate and throw an imaginary degree in there at some point.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #755 on: February 15, 2013, 11:41:38 AM »
You should try sending your resumes to these places anyway. There might be some that put that degree requirement on there but are willing to change their mind.

Its a worth a shot is what I am saying. The worst thing that happens is they never call you back
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

jasimon1

« Reply #756 on: February 15, 2013, 11:43:14 AM »
You should try sending your resumes to these places anyway. There might be some that put that degree requirement on there but are willing to change their mind.

Its a worth a shot is what I am saying. The worst thing that happens is they never call you back

Very true. It could be they are saying that so they don't get people fresh out of high school/drop outs that think 'hey, I could do that!'.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #757 on: February 15, 2013, 12:00:46 PM »
I agree, and have tried to be more open-minded about it. Before I would have looked at an ad and said, "This is perfect! But they want a degree so never mind." But then someone here said once (I think it might have been Darth Geek or Thrifty) that when he was job hunting he figured that if a job seemed like a great fit except for one thing, he sent in a resume anyway -- employing the ol' "two out of three ain't bad" rule.

I wouldn't send a resume to that place I posted because I don't want a shitty part-time job answering telephones and doing "minimum filing" in a podiatrist's office.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #758 on: February 15, 2013, 01:07:08 PM »
Whooo, got a call back already from the "fast-paced" Mennonite nursing home that needs an administrative assistant. I might have an interview coming up soon, yay!

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #759 on: February 16, 2013, 07:15:39 AM »

You know, there's a noted creationist kook and convicted felon by the name of Kent Hovind who calls himself "Dr. Hovind".  The title is technically true--he got a doctorate from some diploma mill called, I think, Patriot University.  If you don't have any shame, you could do something like that.  Buy a degree from an unaccredited diploma mill.  I wouldn't go as far as buying a graduate degree though.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #760 on: February 20, 2013, 01:38:53 PM »
Sent out three resumes last week and have a job interview for one of them tomorrow. It's in a nursing home, so if you want to wish me luck tell me to break a hip!
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #761 on: February 20, 2013, 01:53:46 PM »
Break a hip and spill a bedpan.

Offline mike5150

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 312
  • I used to be cool dag nabbit!
« Reply #762 on: February 24, 2013, 07:51:30 AM »

FOLLOWING HIGH SCHOOL, I WAS ACCEPTED IN THE LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE. GREAT LEARNING SKILLS, HARD WORKER, ASSOCIATE'Swith people who have aDEGREE...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:13:29 AM by mike5150 »

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #763 on: February 24, 2013, 08:08:14 AM »

FOLLOWING HIGH SCHOOL, I WAS ACCEPTED IN THE LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE. GREAT LEARNING SKILLS, HARD WORKER, ASSOSIATE'Swith people who have aDEGREE...

If only I could learn to spell "Associates" correctly....  ;)
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline mike5150

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 312
  • I used to be cool dag nabbit!
« Reply #764 on: February 24, 2013, 08:10:42 AM »

FOLLOWING HIGH SCHOOL, I WAS ACCEPTED IN THE LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE. GREAT LEARNING SKILLS, HARD WORKER, ASSOSIATE'Swith people who have aDEGREE...

If only I could learn to spell "Associates" correctly....  ;)
haha...dammit..I was concentrating so hard on the font thing, I didn't pay attention to spelling. I did catch "collage" though :) AND NOW YOU QUOTED IT, SO I'M SCREWED!