login

Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 120615 times)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #735 on: December 04, 2012, 07:48:53 AM »
I just had a coworker bring me some counterfeit snowballs!  I guess it's happening here too.  These are "Mrs Freshley's".  I'll let you know how they turn out.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6869
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #736 on: December 04, 2012, 07:53:21 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rp7mmdgpPII" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Rp7mmdgpPII</a>
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #737 on: December 04, 2012, 03:13:52 PM »
I'll let you know how they turn out.

Um, how far you goin' with that?
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #738 on: December 04, 2012, 03:16:20 PM »
I am guessing these are fake foods just to smuggle drugs across the US........I am fine with that.
No wonder I ate 10 boxes of them and started hallucinating.

GordonZola

« Reply #739 on: December 04, 2012, 03:21:30 PM »
I just had a coworker bring me some counterfeit snowballs!  I guess it's happening here too.  These are "Mrs Freshley's".  I'll let you know how they turn out.
WE need some of those.

It's 55degrees outside.

In upstate NY.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #740 on: December 04, 2012, 03:39:51 PM »
They weren't too bad.  They had a slightly different smell, but I could live with it.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #741 on: February 13, 2013, 10:38:44 AM »
So I'm beginning my search for a new job back home and scanning local websites and Craigslist for their employment ads. I'm finding some stuff that might work for me, and then I see this fucking bullshit:

Busy podiatrist office seeking front desk person (Millersville Road)
Busy podiatry office seeks a front office person with strong people skills and sufficient phone etiquette. We are looking for someone who is friendly, presentable, respectful, and has a strong vocabulary. Proficiency in computer skills is REQUIRED and reliability is a must. College degree required.

Duties included but not limited to:
- Scheduling appointments via phone/ in-person
- Answering incoming phone calls
- Completing end of the day reminder phone calls
- Other clerical tasks such as copying patient information, scanning documents, minimal filing, etc.

We are looking for a part-time applicant working approximately 25 hours per week. No weekends or evenings.

* Compensation is based on experience and will be discussed during interview.

If you are interested in this position, please email your resume to the above address.

This kind of ridiculousness makes me insane. I can't tell you how many places want a college degree, or some form of college education, just for doing horse shit like that. Sure, let me spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on an education so I can come answer phones for you for $10 an hour and work part-time.

Go fuck yourselves, assholes. I hope this sort of thing comes back to bite those motherfuckers right in the ass.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #742 on: February 13, 2013, 10:55:34 AM »
 Maybe you should call them to ask what degree is required?  Just to fuck with them. 

Is my masters in chemical engineering good enough for making calls, running a copier, and "minimal" filing?

BiteMe316

« Reply #743 on: February 13, 2013, 11:21:29 AM »
So I'm beginning my search for a new job back home and scanning local websites and Craigslist for their employment ads. I'm finding some stuff that might work for me, and then I see this fucking bullshit:

Busy podiatry office seeks a front office person with strong people skills and sufficient phone etiquette. We are looking for someone who is friendly, presentable, respectful, and has a strong vocabulary. Proficiency in computer skills is REQUIRED and reliability is a must. College degree required.

- Other clerical tasks such as copying patient information, scanning documents, minimal filing, etc.

We are looking for a part-time applicant working approximately 25 hours per week. No weekends or evenings.

If you are interested in this position, please email your resume to the above address.

This kind of ridiculousness makes me insane. I can't tell you how many places want a college degree, or some form of college education, just for doing horse shit like that. Sure, let me spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on an education so I can come answer phones for you for $10 an hour and work part-time.

Go fuck yourselves, assholes. I hope this sort of thing comes back to bite those motherfuckers right in the ass.

That's why I stopped using CraigsList for job hunting.  It was either stupid shit like that (even though I do have a college degree), or just vague as fuck job descriptions. 

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #744 on: February 13, 2013, 11:27:31 AM »

That's why I stopped using CraigsList for job hunting.  It was either stupid shit like that (even though I do have a college degree), or just vague as fuck job descriptions. 

I kind of have to agree with you. When I look for jobs on the Lancaster Online website I see some good prospects and I feel kind of hopeful, but when I come away from Craigslist I feel depressed and like I have no hope of ever finding a good job. I'm trying to cover all of my bases, but Craigslist is just killing me.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #745 on: February 13, 2013, 11:29:56 AM »
Same goes for Master's degrees to be perfectly honest; it's something you need to have but only because people demand the damn things, most positions requiring them don't really have duties that necessitate' a Master's in any way shape or form.

BiteMe316

« Reply #746 on: February 13, 2013, 11:32:42 AM »
With me, Craigslist was the only way I could really even attempt to find local jobs in Burlington County, but I got the same results with them as with all the job sites I've used:  absolutely no response whatsoever.  I don't live in, or near, a metropolitan area so finding local jobs is basically next to impossible.  FYI, jobsforjersey.com is the most useless jobs site in the world.  Next to CareerBuilder.  And Monster.   :P

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #747 on: February 13, 2013, 01:22:44 PM »

I agree.  I've applied for so many jobs like that.  Anybody can do the work, but my problem was my diploma was so old, got it in 2000.  A job placement person once told me I should go back to school, like I could afford it.  And like I want to.  I've had enough of school.

I got lucky with my current job.  He hired me on the spot.  I do a lot, including everything listed in the ad you posted.  With no prior medical office experience.  I've learned a lot, and love the learning.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #748 on: February 13, 2013, 01:30:44 PM »
Yeah, this sort of shit is exactly why I'm still working for Wal-Mart after two years. As BiteMe said, Monster and Careerbuilder are pretty useless these days. before the 2008 crash, I used to get some decent work off of there. It was usually temp or contract, but good work, nonetheless. Since my last good job ended in January of 2009, I've gotten absolutely jack squat from those places, though.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #749 on: February 13, 2013, 03:57:34 PM »

I agree.  I've applied for so many jobs like that.  Anybody can do the work, but my problem was my diploma was so old, got it in 2000.  A job placement person once told me I should go back to school, like I could afford it.  And like I want to.  I've had enough of school.

I got lucky with my current job.  He hired me on the spot.  I do a lot, including everything listed in the ad you posted.  With no prior medical office experience.  I've learned a lot, and love the learning.

I have a few reasons for not getting a degree. One, why should I pay thousands of dollars just to continue the work I'm doing now? Two, before it became important for an administrative assistant to have a degree, I had kids and stayed home with them, and everyone knows that once kids come along forget about anything else. Then the divorce, then getting on my feet, and here I am. Three, if I'm going to pour money into anyone's education it's going to be my husband's, because he's likely to earn more money than me anyway just because he's male. And four, as you said, I don't want to go to college. I had enough of it in high school.

Frankly, I think it's a classist thing. They want a certain class of people in their office, and those of us with simple high school diplomas and GEDs don't fit that role.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:59:24 PM by wurwolf »
Bonhead #2
fs!!