login

Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 118419 times)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1511
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #555 on: October 13, 2011, 04:57:33 PM »
That really blows dude. Sorry to hear that.

Russell

« Reply #556 on: October 13, 2011, 04:58:07 PM »
Hey do you remember how my dad and my brother were fired a few years ago and then then earlier this year they had to go back to working for the same boss?  Well that boss just gave them both two week's notice today.  They are closing down the shop that they work at.  If for some reason you don't hear from me that just means we lost the house and are living on the street.  Things were looking pretty good for us for the first time in about 7 years now they are looking bleaker then ever.

I feel awful,I only bring in about $200-$300 a month.  There isn't much chance I will be able to help. We need jobs,bad.
I'm so sorry too Doctor. :( I sincerely wish I could do something to help you out.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #557 on: October 13, 2011, 05:03:06 PM »
Another thing that sucks is my parents are stuck in a morgage that is costing way more then it should.  They are stuck at 9.8% interest on the morgage and house and land is worth a lot less now then when they got it in 2001 so there is no way out of it. It take all of my dad's income and some of my mom's just to pay it. My dad has been working part time at the firehall to make ends meet but there is not enough work there to make up for his full time job. Basicly my dad was making a lot more money before his heart trouble and now we are in trouble. Oh well,We will have to see how things work out.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 05:08:37 PM by Doctor Who? »

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #558 on: October 13, 2011, 05:15:50 PM »
We are in the same boat due to all the forclosed homes on our street. The value on our house dropped about 70k since we bought it in 2004. Now we owe more than its worth and therefore can't refinance.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #559 on: October 13, 2011, 05:19:20 PM »
We are in the same boat due to all the forclosed homes on our street. The value on our house dropped about 70k since we bought it in 2004. Now we owe more than its worth and therefore can't refinance.

Ouch.  yeah their house is on six acres of land and it has dropped about that and maybe even a little more in the past few years. 

Hope things get better for you.

Russell

« Reply #560 on: October 13, 2011, 06:14:57 PM »
I hope the day comes when we all can depend on each other. Hell, I don't have to hope, I
know it will. :)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #561 on: October 13, 2011, 06:57:11 PM »
And my mom and brothers and sisters are always badgering me to buy a house.  "It's an investment!"  "Renting is throwing money away!" 

Then I hear a story about someone stuck in a home they can't sell because they're upside down on their mortgage, or one of my siblings talks about some costly or time consuming repair, and I feel vindicated in my renting decisions.  They still insist that they're doing the right thing, which is fine if that's what makes them happy, but I'm not going to be talked into nailing myself to the same plot of land for a few decades.

Russell

« Reply #562 on: October 13, 2011, 07:05:27 PM »
And my mom and brothers and sisters are always badgering me to buy a house.  "It's an investment!"  "Renting is throwing money away!" 

Then I hear a story about someone stuck in a home they can't sell because they're upside down on their mortgage, or one of my siblings talks about some costly or time consuming repair, and I feel vindicated in my renting decisions.  They still insist that they're doing the right thing, which is fine if that's what makes them happy, but I'm not going to be talked into nailing myself to the same plot of land for a few decades.
I hear you. i want to be able to move around too myself.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5682
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #563 on: October 13, 2011, 07:23:14 PM »

Oh God I get that bullshit from my parents too.  :P Untill I have a family of my own, there is no reason for the added debt and responsibilities of owning a home.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #564 on: October 13, 2011, 07:36:01 PM »
Yeah don't do it, honestly if I had to make the decision again we'd not have bought this place, renting's the way to go.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #565 on: October 13, 2011, 07:40:21 PM »
Yeah I have to say I will never buy a home because i see no upside to getting locked into something like that. When i finally get a decent job and can get out of here I am renting all the way.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #566 on: October 13, 2011, 08:21:07 PM »
I'm the opposite, I have no desire to ever rent again.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #567 on: October 13, 2011, 08:45:48 PM »
Ditto. Never have to worry about landlords showing people the place, I can do whatever I want to the house and yard. I actually HAVE a yard. Don't need to worry about landlords selling the place, raising rent with hardly any notice, or being told our lease is up and you need to move by the end of next month.  Not to mention landlords showing the apartment without notice while my wife was in bed sick. I came home from work early and I see the landlord and 5 people walking in my side door as I turn onto our street. (those are examples from the four years I rented and from several landlords.

We also had a situation where the 2 landlords asked us to move from one apartment into another 2 houses down so they could renovate. No big deal but our rent for the old place would jump from 600 to 800 a month after the renovations. Or we could stay in the other one that had just been renovated and was twice the size for 850. We took the bigger place and everything was cool until we paid our rent the next month and one of the landlords said we were 500 bucks short because the rent was 1350.  We flipped out and showed him the letter he left us that said 850 and he wouldn't budge claiming "the other landlord wrote that and he gave the wrong amount" so we said we would be out in 2 weeks and found an even bigger place for 750.

So yeah. Renting can bite me.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3827
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #568 on: October 14, 2011, 04:57:41 AM »
I'm the opposite, I have no desire to ever rent again.
What ^^^ said 8)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #569 on: October 14, 2011, 05:44:54 AM »
I guess we all have our preferences, informed by our life decisions.  Personally I have had so many periods of unemployment through my adult life that my life seemed too unstable to be compatible with the stability a house represents.  Also, growing up, my dad owned our house but he never put any effort into maintenance.  So by the time they moved out in 2008, the walls and ceiling were a crumbling, dilapitaded mess.  Like, here's two pictures of our kitchen, taken in 2005.  The drywall from the ceiling and walls were removed to fix a leak in 1997.  The leak was fixed, but the job was never completed.

http://thrifty.f2s.com/kitchen1.jpg
http://thrifty.f2s.com/kitchen2.jpg