login

Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 121238 times)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #525 on: September 13, 2011, 01:00:52 PM »
This thread is kind of a catch-all for jobs, etc.

I saw this job listed today in the Brevard NC news. What kind of job does it sound like to you guys?

Recreation Assistant

For County Recreation Department. Performs administrative and recreational assistance for activities, programs, facility usage, etc. Great customer service skills and computer skills are necessary including word processing, spreadsheets and web maintenance. $10.65 to $13.13/hr. - 20 hr./week. Includes medical, dental and life insurance and retirement benefits. Apply to the Employment Security Commission, prior to September 23, 2011.

Ignore the pay and benefits part right now, I'm trying to figure out exactly what the job might be. Administrative duties would be fine... is the rest like a camp counselor type of thing, or am I reading it wrong?
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #526 on: September 13, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »
This thread is kind of a catch-all for jobs, etc.

I saw this job listed today in the Brevard NC news. What kind of job does it sound like to you guys?

Recreation Assistant

For County Recreation Department. Performs administrative and recreational assistance for activities, programs, facility usage, etc. Great customer service skills and computer skills are necessary including word processing, spreadsheets and web maintenance. $10.65 to $13.13/hr. - 20 hr./week. Includes medical, dental and life insurance and retirement benefits. Apply to the Employment Security Commission, prior to September 23, 2011.

Ignore the pay and benefits part right now, I'm trying to figure out exactly what the job might be. Administrative duties would be fine... is the rest like a camp counselor type of thing, or am I reading it wrong?

Maybe? But to me it sounds more like an Admin Assistant more than anything.  Basically man (or woman) the front desk, answer phones, type stuff, be the office bitch.  Pretty sweet if they are giving benefits for a part time gig.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #527 on: September 13, 2011, 01:07:22 PM »
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. And it's only 20 hours a week but the benefits are nice.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #528 on: September 13, 2011, 01:07:57 PM »
Sounds like an assistant to a program director to me, hell I'd do it, since I used to be a PD.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #529 on: September 13, 2011, 01:14:06 PM »
Sending my resume, wish me luck. Hell, if it's got benefits and only 20 hours a week, I can pick up a second job.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #530 on: September 13, 2011, 01:19:35 PM »
Mazel Tov

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #531 on: September 13, 2011, 01:20:24 PM »
Sending my resume, wish me luck. Hell, if it's got benefits and only 20 hours a week, I can pick up a second job.

Leg, break it.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #532 on: September 20, 2011, 09:40:10 AM »
I'm leaving my job at the end of next week, with nothing new lined up.  Some may say it's irresponsible to behave that way.  I have enough funds that I can go a year or so without working.  Not that I will, since employment gap could be harmful on a resume and the boredom would drive me crazy.  I'm just in a situation where I'll be unemployed, but not desperate.

I get a lot of talk from people who ask if I have anything else lined up.  I say no, that I haven't bothered applying, though I have been checking the listings.  I feel so burnt out that I can't fathom going straight to another job straight from this one (I don't say that part when asked).  People try to alarm me, tell me that there's no jobs out there, like I'm going to be desperately searching forever and ever.  I don't like that sort of pessimism.  Maybe the economy is a little rocky right now, but if you think about it, the overwhelming majority of Americans are employed.  I got this job after 3 months of searching during a recession.  We're not in a recession now.  I've talked with other people in my position who were let go for the same reasons (we're contractors and their 3 year contract terms expired), and they found new jobs fairly quickly.  My brother changed jobs twice in the past 12 months.  And personally, I spent 2 years from September 2004 to September 2006 in crushing debt and bouncing between unemployment and underemployment, back when the economy was fairly strong.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I hate this persistent pesimisstic attitude that for a job seeker like me, my entire destiny is controlled by the national trends in hiring.

I'm just glad to have a good, strong safety net so I don't have to get desperate.  I'm gonna have to make a few cutbacks, but life shouldn't be too difficult.  I'm sorta looking forward to the freedom of an unemployed life not defined by crisis.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #533 on: September 20, 2011, 09:44:20 AM »
I wish you luck man.  One thing i noticed though is it is a LOT easier to get a job if you are not tied to any geological location.  As in be willing to move and you might be able to find a good job. 

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #534 on: September 20, 2011, 09:55:14 AM »
I wish you luck man.  One thing i noticed though is it is a LOT easier to get a job if you are not tied to any geological location.  As in be willing to move and you might be able to find a good job. 

It's a funny thing when you develop socially on the Internet as long as I have.  There really is no geological location.  I have almost no roots here in Delaware.  My best friend Karenina is probably the strongest one.  My brother had to leave one job because they were about to force him to relocate, which he didn't want to do.  He's got a house and a wife around here, and they're both pretty close to their families.

Moving is risky though, because it's expensive, and if the job doesn't work out, you're in trouble.  My first job was in Durham, NC.  I ended up quitting after 10 months because it became increasingly apparent that at age 23, I was not qualified to basically run the IT department for an entire organization, albeit a small one (it was a non-profit with 12 full time staffers and we occupied a small 2 story building).  Durham is a really nice place and I wouldn't mind working there again.

I don't understand how you get a job in a different area though.  Seems they would have a decent enough labor pool within their own area, unless you were doing specialized work.  I'm not.  It's just PC technical support.

My dream though is to get into computer programming.  Lucrative work, and it seems more predictable than what I do now, which is basically hear people describe problems I don't understand and then try to come up with a solution good enough to get them off my back.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #535 on: September 20, 2011, 09:59:11 AM »
If you absolutely HATE your job and it is affecting the rest of your life and going there is a unbearable........ leaving is the right thing to do.   Something will open up somewhere.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #536 on: September 20, 2011, 10:03:56 AM »
I keep saying that but the Military Police just dont seem to agree :)  But seriously i love my job. 

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #537 on: September 20, 2011, 12:51:51 PM »
Best of luck (and skill), Thrifty!  :)

P.S. I know it's a rocky economy, but you guys meant "geographical", right?  ;D
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #538 on: September 20, 2011, 12:52:55 PM »
Some people are very attached to certain strata.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #539 on: September 20, 2011, 01:11:12 PM »
Best of luck (and skill), Thrifty!  :)

P.S. I know it's a rocky economy, but you guys meant "geographical", right?  ;D
No.  Don't you keep up with the news?  Everyone knows that the nanotechnology sector is booming in the outer mantle.