Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 116078 times)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #510 on: August 16, 2011, 11:08:59 AM »
I have a job right now, an okay job with really good pay, but I'm looking to get out of NYC and move down to North Carolina. This is partly because I hate living here and want to live there, and partly because my daughter is thinking of attending UNC Asheville campus and for state residents the tuition is half of that which out of state residents pay.

I'm looking online at jobs in the WNC area -- the same sort of job I do now, office administrative work, nothing specialized -- and nearly every listing wants a degree. The degree is not specified; it just says "bachelors degree" or "associates degree". I don't have a degree. I have thirty years experience doing what I do, and at the age of 47 I am not interested in the slightest in going back to school and spending thousands of dollars just to continue doing this same shitty job. I'd basically be paying to work.

So I'm thinking of lying on my resume and just saying that I got a bachelors in English at my local community college in Pennsylvania. I feel like I am well-spoken enough, both in writing and speaking, to be able to fudge it. Does anyone know, do they really check that sort of thing? And if they do and I was caught lying, would anything happen beyond it going on my "permanent record"? I figure that if I was hired and then caught they'd fire me, but beyond that I'm not really seeing a downside to lying on my resume. Thoughts?
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #511 on: August 16, 2011, 11:20:15 AM »
I have a job right now, an okay job with really good pay, but I'm looking to get out of NYC and move down to North Carolina. This is partly because I hate living here and want to live there, and partly because my daughter is thinking of attending UNC Asheville campus and for state residents the tuition is half of that which out of state residents pay.

I'm looking online at jobs in the WNC area -- the same sort of job I do now, office administrative work, nothing specialized -- and nearly every listing wants a degree. The degree is not specified; it just says "bachelors degree" or "associates degree". I don't have a degree. I have thirty years experience doing what I do, and at the age of 47 I am not interested in the slightest in going back to school and spending thousands of dollars just to continue doing this same shitty job. I'd basically be paying to work.

So I'm thinking of lying on my resume and just saying that I got a bachelors in English at my local community college in Pennsylvania. I feel like I am well-spoken enough, both in writing and speaking, to be able to fudge it. Does anyone know, do they really check that sort of thing? And if they do and I was caught lying, would anything happen beyond it going on my "permanent record"? I figure that if I was hired and then caught they'd fire me, but beyond that I'm not really seeing a downside to lying on my resume. Thoughts?

See, that's weird, because my biggest road block in looking for a job is experience. I have plenty of experience working, it's just all over the place and other than stocking or food service, my experience is fairly limited. Of course, what I want to get into is clerical/data-entry work, but with about a year's combined experience from a couple temp jobs, that's never enough. Not to mention my 35 wpm typing speed is a little limited as well when it comes to 90% of the data-entry postings I see. I have the education (a BA in Psych), but without experience in this job market, no one gives a flip.

Also, as far as I know, you can only get up to an Associates degree at a community college. So saying you got a BA/BS there might raise an eyebrow or two.
As for the consequences, there's a certain quirky TV show that might let know a little something about what happens when you get caught lying.  ;D

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #512 on: August 16, 2011, 11:22:19 AM »
Clearly you're looking in the wrong field. Go work in office administration. :)

That's a good point, I should just say associates degree. That would probably be more believable.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #513 on: August 16, 2011, 11:38:42 AM »
Clearly you're looking in the wrong field. Go work in office administration. :)

That's a good point, I should just say associates degree. That would probably be more believable.

Well, I haven't looked much into administration because I'm very much not a people person. I prefer working behind the scenes rather than on the frontlines of the office. And because of my lack of people skills, I suck at "networking" and therefore have no references to speak of, which hinders my job search even more. Bleh . . . and I wonder why I'm working at Wal-Mart.

Danecho1967

« Reply #514 on: August 16, 2011, 11:47:36 AM »

Not to act like a Jimminy Cricket type character...  There is the downside that it would be a lie.  I'm not judging one way or the other, since I don't have a 100% record for honesty in my life, so please don't think I'm acting high and mighty about it.

All of that being said, if telling a little lie won't cause you sleepless nights, do it.  If you truly feel you can excel at the job, do it.  If your experience counts for nothing, and all they care about is a stupid piece of paper, do it.

Some of the stupidest people I've ever run into were highly educated anyway.  :)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5642
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #515 on: August 16, 2011, 11:56:42 AM »
If the degree is the only thing on their requirements list, I say go for it. When I job searched, I had a "rule of one". If I had everything they were looking for, except one thing, I woulld apply. Given the current amount of people searching, I'm sure companies are able to be more specific than they really need to be if there were fewer people looking.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #516 on: August 16, 2011, 12:02:19 PM »
I have zero problem with lying to get a job. It in no way would give me sleepless nights.

Here's one of the jobs I was looking at:

Employee Type: Full-Time
Industry: Hospitality
Manages Others: No
Job Type: Admin - Clerical
Education: 2 Year Degree
Experience: 1 to 2 years
Travel: None
Post Date:
8/10/2011
Asheville, NC

We are currently recruiting for an Executive Assistant for a Fantastic resort in the beautiful Asheville area.

Position requires:
    * Confidentiality and professionalism
    * Ability to use computer, fax, adding machine (standard office equipment)
    * Be proficient in Microsoft office (Word, Excel & PowerPoint)
    * Articulate (public speaking experience a plus)
    * Ability to follow and convey written and verbal instructions
    * Previous Executive Assistant experience
    * Be able to complete projects and assignments as directed

Desired candidate must have:
    * Bachelors Degree and 1-2 years experience
    * Ability to work with a variety of people on a professional level
    * Excellent attendance

I am doing more than this right now -- this job would be a step down for me. A fax machine? Who in the hell uses fax machines any more? Not to mention an adding machine.

I could always apply for this job and be honest and tell them that I have no education beyond high school, but in this job market I feel like they would just throw out my resume without even considering me for the job before I could even get a foot in the door. In this case (as is the case in nearly every office administrative job I see that requires secondary education), I truly do believe that they're only interested in a stupid slip of paper. So my conscience, quite frankly, is clean.

Where I work now, they would check. And sometimes they hire people and the background check comes through a month or so after they're hired, and they wind up firing them. So I know that can happen, and I'm okay with that.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #517 on: August 16, 2011, 12:12:08 PM »
If the degree is the only thing on their requirements list, I say go for it. When I job searched, I had a "rule of one". If I had everything they were looking for, except one thing, I woulld apply. Given the current amount of people searching, I'm sure companies are able to be more specific than they really need to be if there were fewer people looking.

Same here. Mostly with the afore-mentioned lack of experience. Especially if they only require a high school education, but want 2 to 5 years experience or something. I figure that BA has to count for something. Then again, maybe not since I'm still working a crappy part-time job. Doesn't hurt to try, though.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #518 on: August 19, 2011, 08:09:37 AM »
I enjoy these wild swings in the stock market.

When there's a big loss, the financial news is all "OH NOES THE STOCK MARKET IS CRUMBLING AND THE ENTIRE WESTERN WORLD IS SUFFERING FROM A DEBT CRISIS AND THERE'S NO JOBS AND THERE'S GONNA BE A RECESSION AND EVERYONE IS GOING TO BE LIVING IN CARDBOARD BOXES EATING GENERIC CAT FOOD!!!!"

Then the market has an up day, or a few up hours, and the financial news is like "LOL OUR BAD JUST KIDDING EVERYTHING IS FINE AND THE ECONOMY IS GONNA REBOUND ALL THAT STUFF WE SAID ABOUT A RECESSION WAS WRONG."

Then a few hours later, or the next day, another loss and it's "OH NOES THE STOCK MARKET IS CRUMBLING ETC., ETC.,"

I'm getting the feeling that the people who report the financial news and weigh in with opinions are less like wise and educated sages and more like bipolar children.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #519 on: August 19, 2011, 08:13:09 AM »
What i said before about panicky children remains in play. Really can't we find some working girls and boys to help out the economy? And a couple of pizzerias and ice cream shops.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #520 on: August 19, 2011, 11:52:55 AM »
What i said before about panicky children remains in play. Really can't we find some working girls and boys to help out the economy? And a couple of pizzerias and ice cream shops.
Usually, I'm the kind of guy who will defer to the opinions of the experts, but I'm starting to think that I could be a great economic forecaster by studying pig spleens.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #521 on: August 19, 2011, 11:56:57 AM »

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #522 on: August 20, 2011, 09:42:47 AM »
Finally got a call back from AC Moore on that part time job they offered a couple months ago wanting me to start this coming week.  Of course it's right after I start the other job doing data collection.  I had to awkwardly tell them that I can't do it because I just started another job.  (Their loss for dragging their feet.) 

Plus the data collection pays better, I can write off expenses on my taxes, & I can make my own hours pretty much.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3781
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #523 on: August 20, 2011, 04:29:07 PM »
Finally got a call back from AC Moore on that part time job they offered a couple months ago wanting me to start this coming week.  Of course it's right after I start the other job doing data collection.  I had to awkwardly tell them that I can't do it because I just started another job.  (Their loss for dragging their feet.) 

Plus the data collection pays better, I can write off expenses on my taxes, & I can make my own hours pretty much.
I Need That! ... Oh wait :P

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #524 on: September 09, 2011, 06:46:02 AM »
I found the formula for financial reporting.  If I had some time, and a scanner, I'd draw a flow chart.

So here's the basic headline structure:

"Stocks (pick one based on the value of the Dow relative to yesterday --> rise/fall) based on (name of recent event)."

The interesting thing about this formula is that the recent event part is completely unrelated to rise/fall part.  If you use "rise", the sentence would be just as accurate as if you used "fall".  The choice is based on what the stock market did.  It's like if I said "I wore a hat today, because the Dallas Cowboys won a football game on Sunday."