Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 116219 times)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #225 on: August 30, 2010, 04:43:18 PM »
SO if i am willing to work for the ammount of money they offer and i can find a way to pay my bills with it what right does the government have to tell me I can't?  In this country I am free to go out and buy sigs,booze,or guns after I turn 21,why can't I decide what I am willing to wrok for in a competive job market?

Because you WOULDN'T be able to pay your bills on some paltry sum like $10 a day ($1.25 per hour assuming 8 hours a day) or $15 or $20 (same wage, more hours).  Write me a budget that gets you food, clothes, transportation, and shelter on 10-20 bucks a day and you'll have some credibility. 

And when you're speaking of "my right to work for under minimum wage", you're really talking about "an employer's right to pay less than minimum wage", and by trying to claim this right for yourself, you're inflicting it as a punishment on everyone else.  Why hire Steve at $7.25 an hour (the current minimum wage) or even keep Steve on the payroll, when Matt will do it for $1.25?  Employers of unskilled labor fill up with throngs of the cheapest labor possible.  Maybe with lower labor costs they can hire more people, but you've also made that work little more than an unpleasant hobby.  In short, you've made your life and the life of others worse.

So if my dad gets sick of me and kicks me out on to the street with out food or water I should starve to death in the gutter with a smile on my face because someone else life is better?  Also if there is less money around prices go down.  Look at this country in the past,gas didn't always cost $3.00 a gallon.   Back when people made $20 a day this cost less.  Everyone has a right to survive.  The government doesn't help everyone who doesn't have a job.  If $10 keeps me from starving I will take it over nothing.  I see plenty of people begging for change on the side of the road who I am sure would take the same deal.

You want someone else to die in the streets so that you can make a pittance that will ALSO leave YOU out in the gutter?  I'm still waiting on that budget so you can provide some empirical evidence that something is better than nothing.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #226 on: August 30, 2010, 06:25:05 PM »
First you prove to me that people do not have to eat,also prove that food does not cost money.

I am saying that when you need money in order to eat something is better then nothing.

Think about what you are typing.  Basic math tells us 1 is more then 0.  $0 will buy you nothing,$1 will buy you something.

Any way it is my life what right do you have to take away my right to choose.  I am not your or the governments slave.

If you and the government want the right to say if I can work or not then maybe you and the government should pay me for every day your assault on my liberty keeps me from working.

You want everyone else to die in a gutter so you and a few fat cats can live in mansion.  Maybe you should try being poor,give away all of your money,have huge duets pile up,have people hounding you for money,only eat one meal a day if that,and then tell me nothing is better then something.

People have a right to life and when you take away their right to work you take away their right to life.

Oh and I can tell you first hand you can not life off of $7.25 an hour so that is not a living wage any way.  It's just something rich congressmen impose to make themselves feel better about the awful job they do the rest of the year.

Companies are aloud to compete with each other on price of products,that is how the free market works.  Why shouldn't workers be allowed to be part of the free market.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 06:39:42 PM by Doctor Who? »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3782
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #227 on: August 30, 2010, 06:48:13 PM »
*Sigh* :(

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #228 on: August 31, 2010, 04:27:22 AM »
First you prove to me that people do not have to eat,also prove that food does not cost money.

Okay, I'll do that right after I prove that dogs do not need oxygen to live, plants do not need sunlight to grow, and computers do not need electricity to function.  Why would I try to prove something that I never claimed in the first place and is blatantly false?  Knock it off with the lame strawmen arguments.

You're correct that $7.25 is a paltry wage.  You can barely live on it.  But you can almost just barely scrap by.  At $1.25, you have no chance.

I'm also amused that you seem to think that I, making $52,000 a year, am a "fatcat" living in a mansion.  I do okay, but I'm hardly rich.  I have to do a monthly budget to pay of old debts and new bills.

Look Doc, I know you're in a desperate situation here.  It's a perfect illustration of WHY minimum wage is necessary.  Without one, companies have a whole slew of desperate, unskilled labor like you to exploit.  The failings of a labor market without a minimum wage are evident in the modern world; you don't HAVE to theorize.  Look at any number of sweatshops across Asia.

It's apparent from this post and your past attempts to debate that you aren't really good or just aren't interested in honest debate.  You're just going to get more and more emotionally wound up, and I'll get more and more irritable until it just degenerates into me slinging a series of insults at you, because it's easier than thinking up actual intellectual points which you will ignore anyway.  It'll make me feel grumpy and guilty, and it'll make us both look foolish.  This is really like thermonuclear war; the only way to win is not too play.  I've already started playing, but I'm going to cut my losses here and shut up.  At least until you have the intellectual honesty to show me how you can live on $10-$20 a day.

Offline FLOCK of RABID SHEEP?!?!

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #229 on: August 31, 2010, 08:30:39 AM »

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #230 on: September 03, 2010, 08:17:36 AM »
Finally got a call back from someone on a Logistics Analyst position yesterday.  Initial interview with the recruiter went very well and they asked if I wanted to do a 2nd phone interview with the managers today.  I checked my calendar and said "That's perfect! I will speak with you tomorrow!"  Finished things up, hung up the phone and then remembered that daycare is closed today and it wasn't on the calendar.   :grr:  So I'll be attempting to do a phone interview with both kids home.  And one of them got sick at 4am this morning so I'm running on coffee at this point.  If I sit down I'm pretty sure I'm going to fall asleep.  (I'm still recovering from the concert I went to on Wed.  Didn't get home until 3:30am.)

I'm hoping it goes well.  From the description I read it sounds almost exactly like part of what I was doing before I got laid off, only it's an entry level position.  (Hope I don't get screwed by having 8 years experience.  I already told them that the salary they're offering will be fine.)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #231 on: September 03, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
Just stuff the kids in a closet with a lot of pillows (to absorb as much noise as possible) and get your interview done ;D
Good Luck!!

Offline darkchashy

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 3
  • beware strangers baring gifs
« Reply #232 on: September 03, 2010, 08:43:57 AM »

I am saying that when you need money in order to eat something is better then nothing.

Think about what you are typing.  Basic math tells us 1 is more then 0.  $0 will buy you nothing,$1 will buy you something.

Companies are aloud to compete with each other on price of products,that is how the free market works.  Why shouldn't workers be allowed to be part of the free market.
Some workers do have that free market privilage, see...
unemployed americans

employed chinese

Got it?
that's just how we ride.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #233 on: September 03, 2010, 08:49:54 AM »
Darchashy, as that saying goes, a picture is worth 1000 words.  Thanks.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #234 on: September 03, 2010, 09:59:02 AM »
Here's hoping I don't lose power during the phone interview...  Down to I think a Cat 1 last I checked, but they're still predicting outages.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #235 on: September 03, 2010, 10:23:38 AM »
Here's hoping I don't lose power during the phone interview...  Down to I think a Cat 1 last I checked, but they're still predicting outages.

Well, unless your job will be for a weather control operator, they cannot hold that against you!

Break a leg.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #236 on: September 03, 2010, 10:34:37 AM »
I only had 1 kid related interruption and it wasn't bad (and thankfully it was after the lady doing the interview had mentioned her kids, so I think she can relate.)

I think it went fairly well though.  Sure is easy to provide examples of things to answer their situational questions when the job is almost the same as the one you had before!   :D

They said someone would call me next week either to let me know they're going in another direction or to set up another interview.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #237 on: September 03, 2010, 10:47:41 AM »
I remember getting 3 interviews one time (several years back) and then was turned down.. :scared:
Not saying that will happen in your case but it happens.. :speechless:

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #238 on: September 03, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
Just got an email from them asking me to take a personality assessment test within the next 72 hours.  I'll take that as a somewhat positive sign.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #239 on: September 03, 2010, 12:19:42 PM »
Just got an email from them asking me to take a personality assessment test within the next 72 hours.  I'll take that as a somewhat positive sign.
Aw Hell.. :scared:
Don't mention RiffTrax  :speechless: