login

Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 120955 times)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #180 on: August 04, 2010, 12:07:20 PM »

I don't know what that snarky "King Obama" comment is supposed to mean, but health care reform was urgently needed and this was the best time to do it.  We barely made it with a Democratic supermajority and a Democratic president.  There wouldn't be a prayer without that configuration of Congress and this president.
Because it was basically 'crammed down our throat' and made priority 1 when job creation seemed like a higher priority to help get the economy going so the average Joe could afford the health care monthly payments and co-pays :-\
Health care reform was needed.  He had to do it when it had the best chance of succeeding, because if not in the 2008-2010 term, we'd have to wait through ANOTHER 15 years of people being dropped from their insurance when they got sick, people being perpetually uninsurable due to a pre-existing condition, insured people going bankrupt after hitting some lifetime spending limit on their policy.

As I recall, the stimulus bill passed before the health care bill was even drafted.  Sounds like economic recovery was his top priority.  Beyond that, statements to the effect of "don't do anything else while unemployment is too high" are not constructive because they offer criticism with no solution.  Of course the quickest way to provide jobs would be to add a lot of public sector jobs.  But that's not sustainable and just aggravates the deficit problem.  The best idea is to stimulate the private sector to produce jobs, and that doesn't happen overnight.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #181 on: August 04, 2010, 12:10:28 PM »
I was complaining about the GOP fighting Obama on it,not him trying to get it past. 

We need a law that will shut down the GOP,the only way this country will be fixed is if the rich man's party is shut down.

Every single member of the Republican party should spend the rest of their lives in prison,they are the enemies of the human race.  I would vote for a Nazi before I voted for the republicans again.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #182 on: August 04, 2010, 12:20:27 PM »

I also am in limbo this week because Unemployment needs to "verify my address" for some reason and they're holding my check until they do that.  :grr:
They said "call us right away", so I did (on Monday morning) only to be told to call back on Friday.  :grr:  :grr:  :grr:

I can't collect anything from unemployment (because I quit from my last employer back in Feb. 06), but it sounds like no matter what state you live in, the Unemployment procedures are pretty much the same :-[

Not sure why they suddenly need to re-verify my address when I've been collecting for almost a year and a half now. 

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3897
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #183 on: August 04, 2010, 12:38:43 PM »

I don't know what that snarky "King Obama" comment is supposed to mean, but health care reform was urgently needed and this was the best time to do it.  We barely made it with a Democratic supermajority and a Democratic president.  There wouldn't be a prayer without that configuration of Congress and this president.
Because it was basically 'crammed down our throat' and made priority 1 when job creation seemed like a higher priority to help get the economy going so the average Joe could afford the health care monthly payments and co-pays :-\
Health care reform was needed.  He had to do it when it had the best chance of succeeding, because if not in the 2008-2010 term, we'd have to wait through ANOTHER 15 years of people being dropped from their insurance when they got sick, people being perpetually uninsurable due to a pre-existing condition, insured people going bankrupt after hitting some lifetime spending limit on their policy.

As I recall, the stimulus bill passed before the health care bill was even drafted.  Sounds like economic recovery was his top priority.  Beyond that, statements to the effect of "don't do anything else while unemployment is too high" are not constructive because they offer criticism with no solution.  Of course the quickest way to provide jobs would be to add a lot of public sector jobs.  But that's not sustainable and just aggravates the deficit problem.  The best idea is to stimulate the private sector to produce jobs, and that doesn't happen overnight.
Fair enough..

I'm just glad that I received a letter from the Veterans Affairs (VA) that I now qualify for Free Health Care through the VA based on my recent income :highfive:
My appointment is scheduled for August 18 to get signed up 8)

Offline FLOCK of RABID SHEEP?!?!

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #184 on: August 04, 2010, 12:39:16 PM »
I can't get unemployment because I quit and was technically part time even though I was working more than 40 hours a week for 2-3 months 

Doctor Who?

« Reply #185 on: August 04, 2010, 12:46:26 PM »
I can't get unemployment because I quit and was technically part time even though I was working more than 40 hours a week for 2-3 months 

That was the same thing that happened to me.  I was listed as part time but I was working 40 hours a week.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #186 on: August 05, 2010, 08:07:46 AM »

I also am in limbo this week because Unemployment needs to "verify my address" for some reason and they're holding my check until they do that.  :grr:
They said "call us right away", so I did (on Monday morning) only to be told to call back on Friday.  :grr:  :grr:  :grr:

I can't collect anything from unemployment (because I quit from my last employer back in Feb. 06), but it sounds like no matter what state you live in, the Unemployment procedures are pretty much the same :-[

Not sure why they suddenly need to re-verify my address when I've been collecting for almost a year and a half now. 

Had an hour away from playing Daddy Daycare so I decided to call them up.  After being on hold for 45 minutes...
"It was a computer glitch on our end. There is nothing wrong with you account.  We will release your payment tomorrow at midnight."   :grr:

So yay, but at the same time wtf???

It also occurred to me that I have never called them and had a wait time of less than 20 minutes.  Maybe they should hire a pantload of people who are unemployed to answer phones or fill other roles so they can move "promote" other internal people to the phones?

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #187 on: August 05, 2010, 08:17:51 AM »

I don't understand.  What's the difference between part time and full time, other than hours?  If you were doing more than 40 hours a week, wouldn't that by definition classify you as full time?

Offline FLOCK of RABID SHEEP?!?!

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #188 on: August 05, 2010, 09:06:50 AM »
Technically no...full time means that I would be guaranteed 40 hours a week and 2 days off while part time was guaranteed (at least in my case) 24 hours a week w "x" number of days off...both positions in my case had insurance so that was not an issue but if you were full time and wanted three days off within a week and had used up your personal days (all 3 of the) you were screwed...in the end full time just guaranteed more hours while part time was more flexible. Again this was just my experience it might be different in other peoples

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #189 on: August 05, 2010, 12:54:11 PM »

Good thing they did not take pictures of your back yard before and after as they would have claimed you moved into a new house and delay the checks some more.

Offline darkchashy

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 3
  • beware strangers baring gifs
« Reply #190 on: August 12, 2010, 07:29:00 AM »
an animated graph of the unemployment rate. Spooky
http://cohort11.americanobserver.net/latoyaegwuekwe/multimediafinal.html
that's just how we ride.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #191 on: August 12, 2010, 07:59:17 AM »
an animated graph of the unemployment rate. Spooky
http://cohort11.americanobserver.net/latoyaegwuekwe/multimediafinal.html
Looks like a zombie outbreak from some cheesy Sci-Fi original movie.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #192 on: August 12, 2010, 08:28:51 AM »
I never take the Lord's name in vain, but.... Jesus. That just made me physically ill.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #193 on: August 12, 2010, 09:15:23 AM »
Time to move to Nebraska I guess.  :speechless:

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3897
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #194 on: August 12, 2010, 09:17:52 AM »
Time to move to Nebraska I guess.  :speechless: