Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 116617 times)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2010, 09:30:58 AM »
Guess I am too tall as well. Oh well.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2010, 09:31:41 AM »
The thing is I'd have been a straight Air Steward, that would have been a novelty at the very least. :)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2010, 10:06:58 AM »
The thing is I'd have been a straight Air Steward, that would have been a novelty at the very least. :)

You and Clancy Bouvier

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3789
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2010, 05:43:07 PM »
We got confirmation from one of our long time customers that he and his wife are heading back to Mexico as early as this weekend. Another victim of the economic downturn..
He used to have a Mexican grocery store and restaurant just a mile and a half away from us but sold it back in 2007 when things were just starting to get bad. After he sold it, he would come by every Saturday delivering tacos, tamales, barbecue cochenita, as well as various fruits (papayas, mangos, limes, etc.) and vegetables and also Mexican phone cards in his mobile grocery truck.
He has been a permanent U.S. resident for quite sometime but never became a U.S. citizen because his English wasn't good enough to pass the verbal test. His wife is suffering from some sort of blindness that has been getting worse recently and they cannot afford the needed treatment here.
On top of that, their house is in foreclosure proceedings so they have to get out soon anyway. They have adult aged children that live here (either Naturalized citizens or U.S. born) and from what he's told us, they have helped very little or done nothing at all to help them out. That's pretty damned sad IMO! >:(

But, he's already well established in his hometown just outside of Iguala, Mexico (where we go every 6 months). He has a ranch as well as a restaurant there so he's actually looking forward to going home for good :)

Doctor Who?

« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2010, 05:50:07 PM »
Yeah that is sad.  Some one really needs to find a way to create good jobs in this country so that people will start spending money.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2010, 02:00:12 PM »
Yeah that is sad.  Some one really needs to find a way to create good jobs in this country so that people will start spending money.

Seriously.  Doesn't help that all the temporary Census workers are looking for work now too.

In my continuing list of "crap I need money to do" I can now add "Get car fixed".  Check engine light came on yesterday & today it overheated on my way to pick up the kids from daycare (which closed early again dammit.)   :grr:

Other things include:
"Get iMac fixed or buy new one" (so I can finish up the video projects I was in the middle of and hopefully get some $.)  Freaking motherboard died on it a few weeks ago.
My Nintendo Wii bricked itself (which can wait since that's a "nice to have" and I don't play it all that often.)

There's tons of stuff we need done to the house in order to either stay here and more we need to do if we are going to sell. (But since we're upside down on our mortgage because the value dropped on it thanks to all the forclosures in our neighborhood...)

I won't even get started on all the asshattery from my brother in-law putting stupid ideas in my wife's head.

Sorry, I'll stop my rant. I know there's people worse off than I am.  So moving on to a more pleasant note...

The one thing I did drop a pantload of money on in the past week was to have some tree workers take down a ton of trees in our back yard that we've been meaning to take down but haven't had the cash for.  It got to the point where we had to cut them down before we had a big storm and some fell on the house.  I think they took out 9 or 10 large oaks (probably 50 foot ones) and a bunch of smaller ones as well. 

It really opened up the yard alot and now I'll have a really large garden area where I can attempt to grow things.  I'll post pictures at some point (probably on Facebook) once I clean it up a little more.  Right now it just looks like a giant mess and some huge piles of wood chips, rocks, and dirt.  So far all I've really finished is digging trenches and running PVC pipes underground from my downspouts to the back of the yard.  And I can say that they work since it was pouring for a bit today while I was out shoveling dirt & wood chips.   :highfive:

I'm trying to find some "before" pictures from when it was pretty much all trees & brush.  I spent a good chunk of time last summer/fall and this spring clearing it out basically to see what I was dealing with.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2010, 02:51:36 PM »
Sorry, I'll stop my rant. I know there's people worse off than I am. 

Dude, don't say that.  People have to own their problems.  Granted, it takes some tact to realize that some problems are not really problems and complaining about them makes you sound like a whiny little bitch (I knew a guy who would frequently buy too many video games and then complain he didn't have time to play them, or complain that he couldn't make up his mind on which version of a particular game that was coming out simultaneously on XBox, GameCube, and Playstation 2 to purchase).  And yeah even if you have serious problems, whining TOO MUCH can be irritating.  Still, everyone deserves a chance to vent. 

I know the saying is "I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man with no feet."  Still, you have no shoes!

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2010, 03:17:47 PM »
Sorry, I'll stop my rant. I know there's people worse off than I am. 

Dude, don't say that.  People have to own their problems.  Granted, it takes some tact to realize that some problems are not really problems and complaining about them makes you sound like a whiny little bitch

Heh, yeah. Thankfully I'm smart enough to know that the Wii is a "nice to have" and fixing it can wait.  Now if my PS3 broke on the other hand...  :D

But I am thankful that we're managing to scrape by and still pay our mortgage.  I'm finding myself getting more and more frustrated with "Mr Moneybags" constantly saying things like "he needs to think about what's best for the kids",  "what the f*** does he do all day?" (as well as many things I don't feel I should share) to my wife as well as making snide comments about any funny things I say on Facebook.  You know, because me being sarcastic & attempting to keep my sense of humor despite everything going on is really what caused the economy to tank.  Sorry about that 'merica!  My bad!  ::)

anais.jude

« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2010, 03:28:57 PM »
Is "Mr Moneybags" your brother?

If so, your brother and my brother should get together and go bowling

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2010, 03:32:26 PM »
My brother in-law. He has a ton of $.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2010, 06:33:15 PM »

Sounds like my future brother-in-law. Except substitute "he lives with his mommy" for "He has a ton of $." And yet still the comments. Odd.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3789
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #146 on: July 19, 2010, 07:25:28 PM »

Sounds like my future brother-in-law. Except substitute "he lives with his mommy" for "He has a ton of $." And yet still the comments. Odd.
Well my new sister in law is a doctor and my brother gets to live in his mother in law's huge lake house..
Yeah, he's livin large and unemployed :-[

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #147 on: July 21, 2010, 08:14:11 AM »
But you know, speaking of well off people whining about trivial problems (since I brought it up), the later seasons of Scrubs were rife with this.

Season 6: Right after Carla (a nurse) gives birth to her first child, she considers not returning to work.  Turk (her husband) worries about supporting a family without Carla's income.  YOU'RE A SURGEON.  Average salary ranges from $248,000 to $363,000 a year.  Millions of people support families on a fraction of that.  My parents raised 7 kids on a combined annual salary of under $100,000.  I'm hard pressed to figure out why Carla SHOULD return to work rather than being a full time mother.

Season 8: J.D. wants to spend more time with his illegitimate son Sam.  He complains incessantly about the 37 minute drive to get to Kim's (the baby's mother) apartment to see the kid.  37 minutes?  Seriously?  I drive twice that each direction every day on my commute to work (so... quadruple that distance daily).  He decides to move closer to cut down on this horrid commute, then complains about the drive to and from work.  Ugh....

I found that episodes dealing with the "serious personal problems" of the cast showed how out of touch with reality the writing staff really was.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2010, 01:49:42 PM »

Season 6: Right after Carla (a nurse) gives birth to her first child, she considers not returning to work.  Turk (her husband) worries about supporting a family without Carla's income.  YOU'RE A SURGEON.  Average salary ranges from $248,000 to $363,000 a year.  Millions of people support families on a fraction of that.  My parents raised 7 kids on a combined annual salary of under $100,000.  I'm hard pressed to figure out why Carla SHOULD return to work rather than being a full time mother.

Well, keep in mind that Turk doesn't get an average salary. In year six, he'd probably be a  few years out of residency, and he's not a specialized surgeon. So, he'll be on the low end of the scale. According to the BLS, general surgeons in LA make around $100 an hour.  Turk doesn't have much experience and he's at a teaching hospital not a higher priced place, so let's say he's in the 75% percentile, which still makes above $80 an hour. Let's call it $85.00. So, $186,000 base salary. Government, state and local taxes? Eh. Let's say half - $93 grand left. Malpractice insurance in CA for surgeons runs between $22 -34,000 per year. Let's split the difference - $28 k. Down to $65 thousand take home pay. Rent.com says that LA is 33% above the national average and the median apartment rental in LA is $735... son of a... that's what I ... grrr... Anyway, they have a nice two bedroom and it takes pets (Rowdy), so let's say $900 a month. $54 thousand take home.

Now, at this point it looks pretty good. But there's one more thing  - medical school. Right now, most medical school graduates leave med school with around $150,000 in debt. Turk and JD both mention their mountains of debt during the early seasons. (And Elliott mentioned her lack of it.) Now, during residency, people aren't getting paid diddly.  During those first few seasons, both Turk and JD were scrambling around looking for part time work for more money. (Once again, this was mentioned in JD's monologues during those episodes.)  Plus the whole "room mates" thing between the two to save money. (As a side note, I'm inclined to think that this is rather widespread as Grey's Anatomy also had Ally McDoctor looking for room mates during her second episode.) After paying the bare minimum on the debt for a couple of years while learning the  ropes, he probably still  has around $100,000 in loans left. Even if he's paying it off at $25k a year, he's still got a ways to go there. So, he's got around $25-30 grand left, with three people to support. (Also ignoring cars, credit cards, etc.)

Can you support 3 people with that income? Sure. Your folks did. My sister and her husband have roughly that much take home pay and they're supporting 6 people with it. But at the same time, I know a number of married couples who would be going through constant panic attacks at only $30 thousand in take home pay. It's not that unusual in society as a whole. And all of this assumes that Turk's near the median wage. At only 6 years in, he may not be making anywhere near that amount. After all of his debts, he might only have $10-$15 thousand  or less left for the three of them. It's not exactly "rolling in mad ducats" money.

But yeah, no sympathy for J.D. I had a thirty minute commute for years, and I had it easy. (And a thirty minute commute in SoCal? That's an insanely short commute for the area.)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #149 on: July 21, 2010, 02:24:48 PM »
Compound, your math is mostly solid, but it's also mentioned somewhere in the third season that Turk's brother footed the bill for his education.  I know the episode you're talking about (in which J.D. laments that the average resident has about $120,000 in debt and makes about as much as a waiter).  I'll need to pull out my DVDs and check again, but I don't think Turk ever specifically mentioned student loan debt.  J.D. clearly states that he is over $100,000 in debt.

I was assuming the low end of $248,000.  This site gives a more conservative estimate of $120,000 - $268,000.

I don't exactly think the man is rolling in dough, but with 15 to 30 thousand a year after housing has been accounted for, I'm not seeing a man in the poor house either.