Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 121014 times)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2010, 09:06:21 AM »
I'm so sorry for what you guys are going through and I really wish I could help.  I've been there.  I kinda lucked out by getting a job in the financial sector just a few weeks before the big collapse.  I'm in IT Support myself, with 4 years experience which I hope comes in handy next time I find myself out of work.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2010, 09:10:30 AM »
And this is what really, REALLY pisses me off when some right wing troglodyte advocates dropping programs like Medicaid, welfare, food stamps, unemployment benefits, etc.,   They always say "These people are lazy and they should get a job!  Why should I pay to support them?"  I'm always thinking... "It's not like running out of milk where you just go to the fucking supermarket and buy a gallon.  These people are trying to get jobs.  Or they have jobs that don't pay enough."

Sorry to inject politics into this, but I had to say it.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
And this is what really, REALLY pisses me off when some right wing troglodyte advocates dropping programs like Medicaid, welfare, food stamps, unemployment benefits, etc.,   They always say "These people are lazy and they should get a job!  Why should I pay to support them?"  I'm always thinking... "It's not like running out of milk where you just go to the fucking supermarket and buy a gallon.  These people are trying to get jobs.  Or they have jobs that don't pay enough."

I wholeheartedly agree. (Although there are some people who milk the system unfairly.)

Offline darkchashy

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 3
  • beware strangers baring gifs
« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2010, 01:19:41 PM »
I honestly have no idea who this guy is, but this lady isn't even listening to him. she might as well be interviewing the angry chef on hell's kitchen. Only he's not talking about paprika and tomato sauce.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eQBH_oO5a30&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/eQBH_oO5a30&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>
that's just how we ride.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2010, 01:42:07 PM »
I honestly have no idea who this guy is, but this lady isn't even listening to him.

He's a cantankerous blowhard who doesn't really know anything.  Stocks are too risky so he invests all his money in gold?  Gold is the thing of real value?  Gold is shit.  It's shiny, and yes it's valuable.  But it's just a commodity.  If civilization collapses, people are going to be bartering in non-perishable food, water, clothes, blankets, medical supplies, and other basic necessities.  The only way gold is an investment is if you're in the futures market, and then it's in the same league with oil, pork bellies, and orange juice concentrate.

In short, he's got a preconceived notion of reality, and the turbulent markets yesterday were just what he needed to reinforce them.  Like a guy who thinks the antichrist will emerge to head a one world government finding out about the formation of the European Union.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3897
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2010, 01:46:17 PM »
Well, I've been investing in Gold (and Platinum) for some time now in my IRA and that's help hold my portfolio together and not falling off the deep end with the economy :o

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2010, 01:59:28 PM »
Well, I've been investing in Gold (and Platinum) for some time now in my IRA and that's help hold my portfolio together and not falling off the deep end with the economy

I'm no investment guru.  I openly admit my ignorance and confusion on financial matters.  I'm sure gold works as part of a portfolion (hence the statement of using it in the futures market), BUT this guy is putting all his eggs in one basket.  He's acting like we're living in a Dungeons and Dragons game where gold will some day be the de facto currency of the world if civilization crashes.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2010, 02:02:38 PM »
Well, I've been investing in Gold (and Platinum) for some time now in my IRA and that's help hold my portfolio together and not falling off the deep end with the economy

I'm no investment guru.  I openly admit my ignorance and confusion on financial matters.  I'm sure gold works as part of a portfolion (hence the statement of using it in the futures market), BUT this guy is putting all his eggs in one basket.  He's acting like we're living in a Dungeons and Dragons game where gold will some day be the de facto currency of the world if civilization crashes.
Yeah, I've got stuff all over the place
(including new technologies - IE: Solar, wind, water, and even oil which is taking a beating now THANKS BP!! :angry: )

But in the short term, bank CD's seem to be doing fairly well :o

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2010, 02:05:27 PM »

Yeah, I've got stuff all over the place
(including new technologies - IE: Solar, wind, water, and even oil which is taking a beating now THANKS BP!! :angry: )

But in the short term, bank CD's seem to be doing fairly well :o

I invest in bullets and first aid kits......

And since BP is where I came from..... er, things happen.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #114 on: May 07, 2010, 02:10:20 PM »

Except as a reader of the Dragonlance books, I know that the real currency will be Steel Pieces, not gold. The girder in my living room will make me rich! Woot!

(Not a fan of the gold bugs either. Haven't been since their y2k idiocy.)

Offline FLOCK of RABID SHEEP?!?!

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2010, 08:09:41 PM »

I wholeheartedly agree. (Although there are some people who milk the system unfairly.)

i agree as well, having dealt with people (a good third or so) who don't bat an eye at spending $50 on a specialty order cake and then pay with it on ebt :P.  even had one person pay for a wedding cake with it...ever hear of fresh fruits and veggies and stuff  ::)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2010, 08:20:17 PM »

i agree as well, having dealt with people (a good third or so) who don't bat an eye at spending $50 on a specialty order cake and then pay with it on ebt :P.  even had one person pay for a wedding cake with it...ever hear of fresh fruits and veggies and stuff  ::)

Did I ever suggest you read Orwell at all? His non fiction is superb, he actually touches on that phenominon in The Road to Wigan Pier

Offline FLOCK of RABID SHEEP?!?!

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2010, 08:30:12 PM »

Did I ever suggest you read Orwell at all? His non fiction is superb, he actually touches on that phenominon in The Road to Wigan Pier

this is true, sugar does make you feel better, having just had some more mcdougals diary junk just a few minutes ago :P

Offline darkchashy

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 3
  • beware strangers baring gifs
« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2010, 12:07:22 PM »
poke holes in this, please.  :speechless:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eZA0qNsf4m0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/eZA0qNsf4m0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>
that's just how we ride.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2010, 11:03:02 AM »