login

Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 130139 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 343
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #1110 on: March 19, 2020, 12:48:58 PM »
Just found out my wife has been laid off. Not overly concerned about the financial hit that this might cause if it becomes extended - we'll get by- but wife not one who can sit still for very long. Will be bouncing off the walls after a day or two.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 841
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #1111 on: March 19, 2020, 12:51:18 PM »
On the plus side, I got gas at Sam's club for $1.64 yesterday... I haven't seen gas prices like that in a LOOOOOOOOOONG ass time.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1112 on: March 19, 2020, 03:27:24 PM »
$1.75 gas here...however only meat available in grocery store today that wasn't frozen was $20/lb steaks or  $12/lb ground beef and not much of either...no chicken, pork, fish. Beef has been expensive for awhile, but not that expensive. So frozen chicken for dinner.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4416
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #1113 on: March 19, 2020, 05:28:42 PM »
Had to work at the downtown post office by myself almost all day today..
Apparently 2 of the window clerks were granted vacation time and a 3rd one called out sick! Luckily the customers were light most of the day until 4pm then the line stretched out into the po box lobby and nobody was keeping 6 ft away from each other.
Despite getting praise from the station manager and the new postmaster for maintaining my composure and professionalism, I was pretty stressed out throughout the day just trying to do my job alone and hoping that nobody was carrying this damn virus with them.. :-[

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1114 on: March 20, 2020, 05:55:23 AM »
$1.75 gas here...
$1.69 as of this morning here :o

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1115 on: March 20, 2020, 09:00:47 AM »
This new post master is something else. .
She has me going through trash mail instead of doing my normal job at the counter.  I try to take a break and I'm stopped by her to continue sorting through the trash mail looking for pieces that should have been delivered or returnedto sender. .
I don't know which is worse, sorting through dirty trash mail or dealing with dirty people at the counter  ???

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1116 on: March 20, 2020, 05:38:49 PM »
Had an employee scream at me today because I wouldn't send her home with pay to help her son figure out how to get logged in to attend school online. Offered to let her take sick pay even though she's not sick...we're being pretty lax right now. Response was that she's saving that for a planned trip in April. When I questioned that, she outright admitted that she was planning to call in and lie about being sick. Didn't even go down the road of how any planned trips un April likely aren't going happen. Offered to let her go home unpaid which was met with a barage of how the company doesn't care about employees and her sister's office was closed and her company is paying her to stay home for 2 weeks. Her son is a 20 year old college student.
And she wasn't even the worst employee I had to deal with today. People need to calm down.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1117 on: March 20, 2020, 06:23:40 PM »
So my postal schedule has changed next week and as a result I have to work Sunday Amazon for the first time in over a year! I have to work my normal Saturday hours 9-6 then force myself to sleep to get up at 2am and go in at 3:30am Sunday to sort Amazon parcels and I won't be able to leave until I work a full 8 hours..
Normally the PSE (Postal Support Employee) under me in seniority has been doing Amazon Sundays, but she's currently attending a week long class in Charlotte, NC and won't be able to work on Sunday as she has to study for her exam so I was 'nominated' to work Amazon Sunday without any consultation.. >:(
Bad news is I'll be a tired mofo and won't get a day off now till Wednesday but the good news is I will be paid overtime (time and a half) for the full 8 hours.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1118 on: March 31, 2020, 02:23:47 AM »
The EEO I filed against the idiot manager for the incident back on December 31 has finally been scheduled for April 8 at 11am.
Printed out the documentation last night when I got home from work and will be reviewing it in the meantime.
I haven't had a lot of interaction with him lately but when I have he seems to be a bit nicer to me especially when he brings his dog to the post office  (which is highly illegal ) because his dog likes me ??? I know there are other EEOs in process so mine will just add to the cases against him which we Hope will lead to his eventual removal.

Offline Ape21Ape21

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #1119 on: March 31, 2020, 03:25:52 AM »
I grew up in Kansas. I took a job in Queens, New York.  I was brave about packing up and moving 400 miles away to start a new life and a new job in a new city. I left that job as I was failing at it.  But it reminds me of something about my life that brings me both joy and sadness.  I really have no strong roots..

There is always an economic downturn as long as you are not getting paid. We have to look at ourselves first rather than blaming the government or the country or the system.

Offline Ape21Ape21

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #1120 on: March 31, 2020, 03:27:30 AM »
So my postal schedule has changed next week and as a result I have to work Sunday Amazon for the first time in over a year! I have to work my normal Saturday hours 9-6 then force myself to sleep to get up at 2am and go in at 3:30am Sunday to sort Amazon parcels and I won't be able to leave until I work a full 8 hours..
Normally the PSE (Postal Support Employee) under me in seniority has been doing Amazon Sundays, but she's currently attending a week long class in Charlotte, NC and won't be able to work on Sunday as she has to study for her exam so I was 'nominated' to work Amazon Sunday without any consultation.. >:(
Bad news is I'll be a tired mofo and won't get a day off now till Wednesday but the good news is I will be paid overtime (time and a half) for the full 8 hours.

Great Man! Let us know how Amazon felt.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1121 on: March 31, 2020, 07:29:44 AM »

Great Man! Let us know how Amazon felt.
How does it feel to be banned. .. oh wait never mind ::)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1122 on: March 31, 2020, 07:31:11 AM »
I grew up in Kansas. I took a job in Queens, New York.  I was brave about packing up and moving 400 miles away to start a new life and a new job in a new city. I left that job as I was failing at it.  But it reminds me of something about my life that brings me both joy and sadness.  I really have no strong roots..

There is always an economic downturn as long as you are not getting paid. We have to look at ourselves first rather than blaming the government or the country or the system.
Says the troll :-X

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1123 on: April 02, 2020, 06:29:43 PM »
My work the last 3 weeks.

Me: Sorry, we're an essential business- have received orders from our top 4 customers ordering we stay open or else face legal consequences.

Employees: You're trying to kill us by not letting us work from home.

Me: Gets approval to buy a bunch of laptops for employees who didn't have them. Send 80% of employees home to work.

Half of employees who were working from home: Working from home sucks. Please let us return to the office.

Me: Some of you can return, but not everyone. Have to keep distancing.

Employees who returned to office after working at home: We want hazard pay!

Me: Sorry, anything that might have gone to hazard pay went to buy you laptops instead.

Employees: XYZ company paying employees to stay home and not work. Can we stay at home and get paid to not work?

Me: Sure. Take vacation.

Employees: But we can't go anywhere.

Me: Taking vacation tomorrow because if I don't I may resort to violence

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1124 on: April 03, 2020, 12:16:08 AM »
Receiving daily automated calls now that we at the post office are considered essential employees and we are to report to work as scheduled. ::)

Also the topic of hazard pay has come up as postal employees are on the front lines every day but no word on if we will get anything like that :-\