login

Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 137846 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1068
  • Thank you, sweet Rabbit!
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #1095 on: January 15, 2020, 01:50:01 PM »
I’ve always had a hard time with controlling my spending. I’m trying to force myself to accept the fact that I need to do less spending on frivolous stuff that I don’t and never will need and instead spend my money paying off my credit card debts.

I think a lot of people have a love-hate relationship with credit cards. That’s nice you can get the stuff you want right away. However even I am guilty of being blatantly ignorant of things like interest charges. I’ve had all this debt longer than I’ve been disabled. It’s not like credit card companies are gonna let you off the hook for being disabled.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 380
« Reply #1096 on: January 20, 2020, 05:34:35 PM »
Had several bad managers in my career. Worst was one whose husband worked at the same company. Hubbie was emailing pictures of his junk to female coworkers (before the days when texting pics was common) and I found out about it, reported him, and he got fired. Hubbie fed some BS story to my boss that she bought and then tried her best to make my life a living hell. Got written up multiple times for incredibly stupid things (got snowed in on a business trip, bought bread and peanut butter at a convenience store because it was the only place open near the hotel during the storm, expensing groceries against company travel policy , so write up; another business trip, stuck at airport overnight, up all night, flew in, went home, showered, but was 15 minutes late, write up: etc.). I worked with clients on the east coast and my typical hours were 5 AM my time to 4 PM. Everyone else in department worked 9 to 6. Boss started calling meeting every day at 5 PM. Only time I ever quit a job without giving notice.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4979
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #1097 on: January 22, 2020, 04:39:51 AM »
So Yesterday was my first day back to work after calling out for my gout issue in my big right toe (posted about this in the RRARRGH thread) and the first thing the idiot manager does is he wants to see my Dr's excuse. No problem, went out to my van and got it. He says "This is not acceptable!" and I say why not? and he says "It needs to state that I am unable to perform my duties" or something to that effect.. The Dr's note states that I am under the Dr's care from 01/17-01/20 2020. The actual rule with the post office is a Dr's excuse is required if you're out of work for 3 or more days, but I got one anyway because I felt like I needed to. And I'm glad I did!
He rambles on about if I want to move up in the post office I need to watch when I call out because calling out before a holiday doesn't look good during a review ::) I couldn't friggin hardly walk ya goof! Despite actually having this medical issue that just happened to fall before a holiday (MLK day), he makes it out like I planned on doing this so I could have a 3 day weekend! All 3 days I had my foot propped up because I still wasn't able to walk very well due to the excruciating pain!
Yeah boss you got me! This was all part of my diabolical plan to have a 3 day weekend...
What a fucking Ass hat!! :grr:

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1098 on: January 29, 2020, 12:32:31 PM »
Heard from the EEO rep today and she phoned in the local union shop steward so we could discuss how the investigation will proceed moving forward. It sounds promising despite the fact that EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) violations are more setup towards discrimination but she is aware of the idiot manager's past issues so this will at least be investigated by the HR Department as well as the district manager.
She was going to schedule a meeting when I return from vacation on or after Feb. 18 but then I just received a Jury Duty summons at the local city court on the same day that could last the rest of the week so this will probably have to be pushed to the end of February or early March now but at least things are starting to happen.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1099 on: February 07, 2020, 09:51:52 AM »
Something unrelated to my work rants..
Earth Fare employees file class-action lawsuit against bankrupt grocer
https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/2020/02/06/earth-fare-employees-file-class-action-lawsuit-against-bankrupt-grocer/
There's one just a mile from my house that was just refurbished last year and no one seems to know what's going on there either ???

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1100 on: February 18, 2020, 05:10:12 PM »
Back at work unexpectedly today after reporting for jury duty at 10am.. I have to call in every evening to see if I need to report for jury duty the next day the rest of this week and if not then I go into work at the post office for that day..
Went to work to look for a particular form to put in for a job vacancy and the supervisor said that I need to start work ASAP because they were short handed at 2 post offices so I race home out of my formal attire and into my post office uniform.
Get to the smaller post office and the one senior clerk that trained me when I first started told me the new postmaster is already pissing off the clerks and carriers at both bigger post offices in town, in fact the clerks at my assigned post office have already filed a group grievance against her with the union in Charlotte, NC because she trying to set her own rules in place and sending out nasty emails about so-called unsatisfactory performance of the clerks related to customer wait times in line, using this mobile sales unit for selling stamps, and even getting on senior carriers for taking so long to do their routes.. All departments are severely understaffed so if she expects any kind of improvements, she needs to do her job and get on HR about hiring some new personnel! >:(
I haven't met her yet but even the supervisor isn't too thrilled with her after just 2 weeks of being there. Looks like another 'know-nothing' leader has been sent to run things and she's already starting off on the wrong foot :-[
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 05:11:47 PM by RVR II »

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1101 on: March 11, 2020, 11:56:32 PM »
Since Russia & Saudi Arabia are in the midst of an oil war, gas prices in my locale have dropped to $1.80 per gallon and may continue to fall :o

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1102 on: March 17, 2020, 03:52:04 AM »
'D' word rears head as coronavirus-hit markets brace for recession
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-stocks-economy-usa-idUSKBN2140IA

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 124
  • Hello!
« Reply #1103 on: March 17, 2020, 09:13:26 PM »
I'm in the Direct Mail business which is part of the printing business, etc. stuff on paper, which is dying... My small boutique business (in direct mail) went belly up so, I went to work with a printing company that did direct mail (Quad Graphics) that lost 11 billion dollars last year and the stock is worth less than 3 dollars right now.

The coronavirus thing is killing us even more than regular life is killing us and I don't know if I will have a job after April let alone at the end of 2020...

Anyways, I think I wrote better and more concisely when I was drunk. Like most Irishmen... anyways, I think I am going to be screwed real hard, real soon... all's I'm sayin'
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1104 on: March 18, 2020, 04:04:14 AM »
My late wife and I had a boutique in her hometown of Iguala Mexico but the last 3 years it was in business were losses due to internet sales but she refused to close it despite her family and I telling her to shut it down but she refused.. The day she passed away on January 10, 2017 was the day it finally shut down and luckily we were able to sell everything to a local competitor for $50,000 Pesos (around $2500 USD at the time) and all of that went to her family.. Not to mention the land we had down their I lost to her family as well so suffice to say I no longer travel to Mexico anymore :-[

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1105 on: March 18, 2020, 10:48:03 AM »
Work for a small company that is part of the food manufacturing supply chain. Business steady for now. Guess it's as good a business as any to be in right now, but size of the company is such that a 2 week shut down would be devastating to the point where we might never recover.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1106 on: March 18, 2020, 05:10:16 PM »
Came so close to walking out of work today...again, small company, foreign owned...message sent out to all employees late yesterday stating all employees need to use disinfectant wipes to wipe down computers, etc every hour...disinfectant wipes gone by 9 am and employees start complaining to corporate about being out of disinfectant wipes...corporate to me- why didn't you order disinfectant wipes...me to corporate- documentation showing orders from 6 different suppliers all on back order...corporate to me- go buy them locally...me explaining local hysteria, why that's not an option and trying to keep my sarcasm in check...shortly after lunch...corporate sends out email telling all employees that they need to be wearing masks at work and in public at all times...repeat of the disinfectant wipe except that we don't have masks to run out of...also many angry emails and phone calls from a couple of foreign higher ups...to which my response was basically (with cleaner language) talk to me before you fucking send out this stupid shit...

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1107 on: March 18, 2020, 05:49:37 PM »
I'll add I agree that disinfecting is important and other forms of disinfectant were and are readily available to our employees (spray disinfectant and paper towels) but corporate communication emphasized why wipes were being required over other disinfectants...don't disagree with their reasoning for wipes being preferred either, but you need to look at your cards in order to play the hand your dealt.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1108 on: March 18, 2020, 06:10:00 PM »
These foreigners wouldn't be Chinese by chance would they?

No changes with the post office..
Still working the counters dealing with the public for 8+ hours. No further talk about shutting down temporarily or furlows.. Guess we'll just have to remain on the 'front lines' and hope we don't catch this shit from some unknown person carrying it :-[

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1109 on: March 18, 2020, 06:18:17 PM »
Korean...and in Korea a lot of people were wearing face masks year round before this apocplypse happened...just can't understand why everyone can't bring them to work from their personal stock.