login

Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 120893 times)

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 291
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #990 on: January 09, 2019, 10:44:35 AM »
Hope you go/went to the other interview. May not be something you were as interested in, but when looking any interview is good and can help you in other interviews even if you're not interested in the job.

I didn't go to the interview and I feel bad about that. I did send them an email ahead of time saying I wouldn't be there. Anyways it might be a moot point because the people from the first interview are showing real interest.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #991 on: January 11, 2019, 05:39:41 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gaduCx4Dkgg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gaduCx4Dkgg</a>

So I got a job offer and I accepted! Not as much pay as initially as I might have liked. But the important thing is that I'm moving from the world of fast food into the world of entry level IT. I can put my college degree to use!

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #992 on: January 11, 2019, 06:26:13 PM »
Awesome. Congrats.
In celebration, I'll tell a story from my brief time in IT (sort of).
I worked for a year for a phone company about 20 years ago. My job was working the call center/help desk for the ISP part of the business (helping people with their dial up internet service). One of the other reps got a call from one of our techs who wanted to know what he should do if the service call he was on was to a house that he suspected contained a meth lab. She referred him to me because she knew I had dogs and she was pretty sure they were labs.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #993 on: January 11, 2019, 08:47:56 PM »
New job is still very frustrating. Have a bunch of end of year reports I have to get done before the end of January and I haven't been given access to pull all of the information I need to complete any of them. Should really have been maybe a week's worth of work, but due to limited access it's taken multiple weeks plus overtime and I'm still not able to complete a single one. The 45 hours a week with no weekends that I was promised has quickly become 55 to 60 hours during the work week (supposed to get an hour lunch, but I usually only have time to take about 15 minutes if I get a lunch at all) and 8 hours or so of catching up on the weekends while working from home. There are still a lot of things about the job that I like and I'm hopeful that a lot of what's frustrating me is just temporary and will be resolved soon, but I was really looking forward to this weekend- running some errands in the morning and then relaxing with some video gaming and then watching the NFL playoff games starting tomorrow afternoon and now a good part of my day tomorrow is going to be spent working instead of everything else I wanted to do so that I can still watch the Chiefs game tomorrow afternoon.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3896
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #994 on: January 12, 2019, 01:20:37 AM »
Yeah mine is frustrating me as well.
The split-shifts are coming to an end after today for the time being but I'm being bombarded with extra work in the afternoons that I can't get it all done now; from sorting packages, cleaning the counter of drop off mail and packages, sorting the mail for dispatch by 6pm and even stacking mail trays and tubs to shrink wrap and move to the dock to be taken back to the Charlotte DC, and more. The senior PSE who does scheduling said I was supposed to come in at 6:30am yesterday but he had me scheduled at 6am which means I had to leave by 6pm or I would go into penalty overtime so I couldn't finish my evening closeout..
Then there's the goof of an acting postmaster nitpicking as he always does and I just want him to leave me alone, especially now as it's the second anniversary of my late wife's passing and Monday would have been our 18th anniversary so that's weighing heavy on me and just hearing his Boston accent makes me cringe now.. Just leave me alone :-[

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #995 on: January 23, 2019, 02:35:27 AM »
So my hours were starting to get cut back since the Christmas rush is over but lately I've had to cover for a senior PSE as she's been getting cataract surgery before she retires later this year and apparently emails from HR/Payroll have been going out about the amount of hours I've been getting so our bone-head 'acting' postmaster tells me I need to "watch my hours"...
Ok.. I had to work Amazon Sunday & Monday because it was MLK's birthday and I worked no more than 6 hours both days because if I did I was required to take a 30min lunch which I did not want to do so I told the supervisors each day that I was leaving at the 6 hour mark. I finished the job each day so I wasn't leaving any extra work for the junior PSE they hired at the other post office but they did have stacks of magazines and catalogs that they were passing out to the carrier's stations but that's their work (as I have my own that I had to do yesterday) so I clocked out.
Then yesterday morning the dipshit acting postmaster comes over to me saying "Who gave you permission to only work 6 hours??" And I said "No one but you said I needed to watch my hours so I left at the 6 hour mark!" Then he says "I never gave you permission to work only 6 hours!" And again I said "You told me I needed to watch my hours so what did you mean by that?" And he responds "Well you should have stayed cause they needed the help.." and I said "I agree, but you said payroll is saying I'm getting too many hours and to 'watch my hours' so I am and I did." Then he goes huffing off. :grr:
Then later that day he comes over to me smiling and informs me that the PSE above me in seniority who's supposed to be working at the other post office where I do Amazon here in town may have resigned due to medical/attendance issues which puts me next in line for the next career position that comes open :o I know the senior PSE I mentioned earlier, as well as the senior custodian will be retiring together later this year so which ever career position of theirs they post, I'm putting in for it!
I'm not waiting 2-4 years for a career position to become available as I'm going on 50 in June and need to get a career position ASAP so I can start working towards retirement and build a pension. We'll see what transpires with this over time.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 02:39:45 AM by RVR II »

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #996 on: January 23, 2019, 06:29:32 AM »
Sounds like the kind of guy where if you had asked how many hours should I "watch out for" he would have had no idea and gotten mad because you asked for something specific.  ::)

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #997 on: January 23, 2019, 05:37:12 PM »
Sounds like the kind of guy where if you had asked how many hours should I "watch out for" he would have had no idea and gotten mad because you asked for something specific.  ::)
YES! EXACTLY!!
I didn't mention but Tuesday morning when all the carriers came in, not one was talking to each other because they know how this guy is and were afraid he might snap at them. It was like you could hear crickets chirping if we had any :speechless:

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #998 on: January 23, 2019, 06:35:02 PM »
My job has been interesting. As I get access to more and more systems and info, I keep finding more and more mistakes that have been costing the company money. I'm guessing everything I've corrected so far will save the company about 5 times my salary over the next year. I hate corporate politics but they exist and I've been very careful not to try and pin any of the mistakes on anyone, but I've already pissed a couple of my higher ups off who know they made the errors that I've found.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #999 on: January 23, 2019, 09:45:44 PM »
 That sounds like a no win job, don't find the mistakes and piss people off because you aren't doing your job, or piss people off because you find the mistakes they made...

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 744
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #1000 on: January 24, 2019, 03:55:14 PM »
My job has been interesting. As I get access to more and more systems and info, I keep finding more and more mistakes that have been costing the company money. I'm guessing everything I've corrected so far will save the company about 5 times my salary over the next year. I hate corporate politics but they exist and I've been very careful not to try and pin any of the mistakes on anyone, but I've already pissed a couple of my higher ups off who know they made the errors that I've found.

The eternal conflict between management and the people who actually know how anything works.

My last job, which was with a shipping company, I naively informed them after about 6 months in: "Hey, I found all these mistakes in your system so I fixed them." They immediately locked me out of the system. Another 6 months later they came back to me and said "We're going to give you admin access to the system. Just don't tell anyone else, and let us know before you change anything." Fair enough.

The irritating thing is, being the guy who knows how everything works doesn't necessarily pay more. It just means you're the guy people come to when something goes wrong. 

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1001 on: January 25, 2019, 06:02:16 PM »
A bit of good news for once :o
Heard rumor earlier this week that the PSE (Postal Support Employee) above me in seniority had resigned and today the bozo 'acting' postmaster came over to me as I was sorting parcels for tomorrow, saluted me and said "It's official she resigned and turned in her keys so you're at the top now for the next career position." I was happy to hear that but coming from him made me think that now if only he were transferred out of the post office then I would be much a happier person. My position is considered 'non-career' similar to a temporary employee so now the next step is to obtain a career position with the USPS.
Looked into the hiring process when a career employee resigns or retires, it is first posted internally so someone within a 50 mile radius has the opportunity to apply for it and get it based on their seniority which would bump me out of contention, so I've already decided to put in for the first available opening that is a career position whether it be a PSE or Custodian position as I'll still get the same pay and benefits and I will be entitled to a pension upon reaching retirement. It may happen this year so I'm keeping tabs on who may be leaving soon 8)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1002 on: January 26, 2019, 08:36:02 PM »
That sounds like a no win job, don't find the mistakes and piss people off because you aren't doing your job, or piss people off because you find the mistakes they made...
It's a small company and the only person I really have to worry about keeping happy is the owner. And while I haven't met him yet (he lives in another country and rarely comes to the U.S.), I got an email from him this week saying that he's heard everything I've been doing, thanking me, and to keep up the good work.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1003 on: January 30, 2019, 04:26:28 PM »
So the 'acting' postmaster is on vacation till next Tuesday and everybody (including me) are so relieved! I pull into the parking lot about 10 minutes before I have to start and he walks out heading towards his car, sees me then walks over to me while I'm still sitting in my van to tell me what he wanted me to do while he's gone and it turns out it the SAME SHIT I ALREADY DO EVERY DAMN DAY!! He literally just had to walk over to micromanage me while I'm sitting in my van before he leaves for the airport! ::)
I can't wait for the real postmaster to return from his temporary assignment at the Charlotte DC because I've been told that they don't get along so we're hoping that with his return, the 'acting' postmaster will be moved out or at least be forced to back off of us and let the people do their jobs :-\

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1004 on: February 05, 2019, 06:01:44 AM »
Why did postage go up $0.05 cents on January 27, 2019 you may ask? 2 reasons:
1) UPS & FedEx dumping their SurePost & SmartPost packages onto the USPS for us to deliver which we don't get paid for and..
2) We Need New Mail Trucks: https://www.trucks.com/2019/02/04/postal-service-wrapping-testing-mail-truck-prototypes/