login

Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 115070 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 246
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #930 on: September 05, 2018, 10:05:12 PM »
LOL...2 of the jobs I applied for this week rejected me fairly quickly (far quicker than I usually see rejections and with just the standard "we reviewed your application and have decided to pursue other candidates" language). No big deal (other than the speed of the rejections) and I quickly would have forgotten about them. But tonight I got emails from these 2 employers (emails only stood out because I got rejections the same day I applied) saying something along the lines of "we see your resume in our system and you seem to be a match for this opening" and then listing the same job(s) I was rejected from in record time. I'm sure they were system generated emails, but I still find them funny.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3741
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #931 on: September 05, 2018, 11:33:56 PM »
LOL...2 of the jobs I applied for this week rejected me fairly quickly (far quicker than I usually see rejections and with just the standard "we reviewed your application and have decided to pursue other candidates" language). No big deal (other than the speed of the rejections) and I quickly would have forgotten about them. But tonight I got emails from these 2 employers (emails only stood out because I got rejections the same day I applied) saying something along the lines of "we see your resume in our system and you seem to be a match for this opening" and then listing the same job(s) I was rejected from in record time. I'm sure they were system generated emails, but I still find them funny.
Yeah I'm so glad I don't have to deal with those anymore myself.
I really hope you catch a break and find something cause those rejections really grated on me even though I was used to getting them :-\

Finished Day 1 of orientation at the Charlotte Post Office and had to sit through a lot of guest speakers and Power Point presentations. Took everything I had not to doze off by the end of the day but Charlotte traffic coming home woke me up big time :grr:..
Today I should be meeting with a Union rep and plan on signing up. I should be getting my schedule as well letting me know when I start :o

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #932 on: September 06, 2018, 02:34:29 PM »
Finished my orientation, signed up for the Postal Union, and I start first thing tomorrow morning at 5am :o

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #933 on: September 14, 2018, 09:07:39 AM »
Was expecting my final paycheck from Target to be deposited into my bank account last night but it never got deposited..
Went into Target to talk to the HR rep and she said 'Oh here's your pay check right here.' She said that sometimes they won't deposit your final check because I'm no longer in the system.. Ok fair enough.
I go out to my car and open it and all it is is a year-end pay stub! I'm owed for 4 days the last week of August and it shows $0 for that week! ???
I go back in and talk to HR again and she doesn't know what happened and that I need to call their Corporate HR instead.. After 3 times calling trying to get through their daffy-ass automated menu, I reach someone human and they don't know what happened either but it sounds like the local HR rep screwed up (yet again) and somehow wiped out my last weeks pay even though it shows I worked 16.5 hours that week..
:grr:
The Corporate HR rep said they will get it corrected and my final weeks pay should be deposited into my bank account or sent out as a check in 7-10 business days. They can't expedite it. So now I have to wait for that, Plus wait 1 possibly 2 more weeks before I get my first check from USPS! ...
JUST AWESOME!! :angry:

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #934 on: September 20, 2018, 04:41:28 PM »
Got my first paycheck from USPS and they didn't add my 2 days of orientation I had to do in the Charlotte DC! Apparently I was supposed to give my time cards to my supervisor but I was told that the instructors in Charlotte would take care of those for me..
They didn't! :grr:
So now I'm owed an additional 16 hours that probably won't show up until my next paycheck in 2 weeks >:( I was advised by a couple coworkers that I need to keep on top of this issue or it may be forgotten about by the next pay period..
PERFECT!  :angry:

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #935 on: October 04, 2018, 10:13:56 AM »
The job at the USPS is going well overall, but I'm still having issues getting paid for my 2 days of orientation! 2 8hr days I still have not been paid for! Furthermore, I still haven't been paid for my final week at Target; 4 days at 16.5 hours total!
I'll be speaking once again to my supervisor and even the postmaster this time if I have to and as for Target, I'm about ready to contact my Legal Shield attorneys to have them file a violation of the Labor Laws for unpaid wages :grr:

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #936 on: October 04, 2018, 11:48:19 AM »
Glad to hear the new job is going well. Sucks about missing pay though. Not sure what the situation is in your state, but here you can file an unpaid wages claim with the state department of workforce development and if/when they find in your favor the company has to pay double what you're owed.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #937 on: October 04, 2018, 01:51:01 PM »
Glad to hear the new job is going well. Sucks about missing pay though. Not sure what the situation is in your state, but here you can file an unpaid wages claim with the state department of workforce development and if/when they find in your favor the company has to pay double what you're owed.
Thanks! Got things straight with the post office I believe .. The postmaster had to go into the system and print out a former for my missing 2 days so we'll see if that appears on the next paycheck. .
As for Target, yeah my Legal Shield attorneys will take care of that process for me if I have to go there.
I'll post an update when I know it 8)

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 260
« Reply #938 on: October 04, 2018, 05:26:07 PM »
I had an in person interview at a local company today. I thought it went pretty well but we'll see.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 260
« Reply #939 on: October 04, 2018, 07:52:00 PM »
I hope they go well for you. I had another phone interview this week. I just about missed it because they never sent an email or anything confirming when the interview was.

ETA: I could've sworn I wrote this AFTER the next post. Is there a timestamp bug here or something?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 07:59:22 PM by linszoid »

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #940 on: October 04, 2018, 07:53:11 PM »
My last face-to-face interview was 2 weeks ago.
Kind of thought 2 of my last 4 face-to-face interviews went well (2 I didn't think went well were due to the jobs being rather terrible), but at the point where I don't think I know what "went well" means anymore because emails and voicemails left for all 4 have resulted in no communication back.
2 phone interviews this week.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #941 on: October 04, 2018, 08:20:13 PM »
I hope they go well for you. I had another phone interview this week. I just about missed it because they never sent an email or anything confirming when the interview was.

ETA: I could've sworn I wrote this AFTER the next post. Is there a timestamp bug here or something?
Thanks.
Not a glitch. Was me deleting and reposting due to wanting to correct some of my bad grammar.
Hope your phone interview went well too.
I've had so many phone interviews over the last 7+ months that I never even think much about them being good or bad any more unless they lead to a face-to-face.
My lack of success leads me to believe I need to change my interviewing style, but I've interviewed with a number of hiring/temporary agencies lately (who generally provide more construstive criticism then you get from direct hire companies due to them having a financial incentive in seeing their referrals get hired) and their feedback has only resulted in a few minor suggestions related to specific answers I give to the standard interview questions, so I still feel my age (50) is coming into play a lot.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 08:23:51 PM by wihogfan »

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #942 on: October 05, 2018, 09:19:37 PM »
One of my phone interviews this week has led to a face-to-face interview the week after next and that same staffing agency that set up that one has got me 2 more phone interviews next week. Digging their aggressiveness in trying to help me (although it's because they want their commission-still nice to have someone actually  working for me in my search and not just blowing smoke like a lot of the agencies I've tried to deal with). 

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #943 on: October 06, 2018, 02:48:39 AM »
One of my phone interviews this week has led to a face-to-face interview the week after next and that same staffing agency that set up that one has got me 2 more phone interviews next week. Digging their aggressiveness in trying to help me (although it's because they want their commission-still nice to have someone actually  working for me in my search and not just blowing smoke like a lot of the agencies I've tried to deal with).
That's great that your staffing agency is actually trying to get you a job. All the staffing agencies around here are apathetic especially Kelly Resources. They never once contacted me nor returned any of my phone calls.
The VA rep was the only one aggressively trying to find me work for a time then she just quit contacting me over a year ago, then out of the blue she called and left me a voice mail a couple weeks ago wondering if i found work and I didn't respond back. ::)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 09:59:26 AM by RVR II »

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #944 on: October 06, 2018, 07:55:29 PM »
Yeah, really only started dealing with the agencies a couple of months ago and most have promised a lot in my initial meetings/conversations and then never followed up with any communication what-so-ever. This one's been a bit different in that they contacted me without me ever reaching out to them (they found me on one of the job boards).
It's really a weird job market right now- at least here. Here there are a lot of jobs if you're willing to work for $12 an hour or less, but those employers paying that are reluctant to even talk to people like me who have a long history of making more than that (and while I'm willing/expecting to make a lot less than my last job, my stated salary expectations have been more than what these abundance of entry level jobs are paying-figure rightly or wrongly after more than 30 years experience with only 5 employers in that time that I should be making more compared to people who have had 5 jobs in the last year).