Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 120678 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 261
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #915 on: July 14, 2018, 09:35:28 PM »
Am pretty depressed. Thought for sure I'd here something this week from the 2nd interview I had to spend a day driving back and forth from last week. But I heard nothing and my extremely polite "I'm still interested" email on Thursday a week after that interview also got no response and then on Friday the job got posted a new to all of the typical job posting sites. Have a very supportive wife and a very affectionate beagle going for me, but going crazy not working.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3894
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #916 on: July 15, 2018, 03:16:07 AM »
I've gotten used to rejection so much that a depressed state doesn't even happen to me anymore :-\ Just keep busy in the meantime.
I'm still waiting on the result of my interview with the post office, and now Target decides to finally give me some hours.. From 8 hours (2 4-hour days) a week to 13.5 hours this coming week, and 6 4-hour days next week for Back-to-School. Pretty funny how Target is gradually increasing their minimum wage but decreasing peoples hours  ::)
I sooo want the Post Office to offer me that job so I can put in my notice at Target :-[

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #917 on: July 15, 2018, 05:27:51 PM »
Yeah, depressed might be too strong. I guess I'm really more disappointed due to simply not hearing anything back from my last few interviews. Rejections would at least be something definitive and something I could deal with better than a degree of uncertainty.

Offline motoboy

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #918 on: July 17, 2018, 08:55:38 AM »
@RVR II In what part of SC do you live? What is your skill set?

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #919 on: July 17, 2018, 09:03:28 AM »
Rock Hill, SC.
Nuclear submarine veteran (1988-92) AA Degree from York Tech (96), BA degree from Winthrop (2001) Quality Assurance Auditor for 10+ years, ran my own tax business for 17 years (and counting)..
That's pretty much the brief summation of my background.

Offline motoboy

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #920 on: July 18, 2018, 09:43:28 AM »
Rock Hill, SC.
Nuclear submarine veteran (1988-92) AA Degree from York Tech (96), BA degree from Winthrop (2001) Quality Assurance Auditor for 10+ years, ran my own tax business for 17 years (and counting)..

PM sent

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #921 on: July 18, 2018, 11:34:04 AM »
Rock Hill, SC.

PM sent
Thanks!

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #922 on: July 25, 2018, 06:36:10 PM »
Have 2 second interviews next week. Still haven't heard back from the last 2 second interviews I had (and in one case it was a 3rd interview) 4 weeks ago, but both of those jobs are still being advertised so I'm taking it as having not gotten those jobs. 

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #923 on: August 21, 2018, 05:45:30 PM »
Had a relative that I wasn't really close to die and surprisingly leave me an amount of money that while it won't allow me to retire at this point, will keep us afloat (when coupled with the wife's regular income) for another couple of years if need be. Blessing and a curse in some ways. If I can find work soon, it will help towards adding to the retirement fund, but if I fear the longer I'm not working at my age, the harder it will be to find work.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #924 on: August 21, 2018, 06:21:22 PM »
Had a relative that I wasn't really close to die and surprisingly leave me an amount of money that while it won't allow me to retire at this point, will keep us afloat (when coupled with the wife's regular income) for another couple of years if need be. Blessing and a curse in some ways. If I can find work soon, it will help towards adding to the retirement fund, but if I fear the longer I'm not working at my age, the harder it will be to find work.
Wow that's pretty amazing that relative did that for you.

A repost from the WWOOO thread..
Finally heard back from the USPS and was offered the same job at 2 different post offices :o I accepted the one closer to home and have yet to turn down the other as I haven't received my orientation email yet telling me a date and time of my employment though the manager of the post office I accepted the position at called me up to welcome me on board which was really cool!
I haven't put in my notice at Target yet but I took today off and gave my day to another coworker since he needed the hours more than I did because I needed to let my body recoup from the recent slew of truck unloads, and to lessen the risk of a possible injury there (kind of unsafe working conditions with a lot of trip hazards from pallets and products).. Will probably put my notice in anyway in the next day or so .
I even went ahead and put a new set of tires on my Toyota Sienna (had them stored in my shed for almost 3 years) so it's ready to go.

Oh and the surgical nurse I'm seeing that lives in Pittsburgh has decided to sell her house and move down here with me (possibly as early as mid September) so the proceeds from her house sale will be for savings to build on for the future and if we need it for emergencies 8)
Things are Finally moving onward and upward for me!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 06:26:29 PM by RVR II »

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #925 on: August 21, 2018, 06:50:17 PM »
Congrats on the pending USPS job or jobs.
I have a couple of interviews lined up later this week and a couple of more next week, so it's not like my job search has hit a total stand still, but I'm not going to get excited until I have an offer.
As silly as it sounds, one thing I just did yesterday was shave my big grey beard off as I was told by a headhunter that it was making me look older because it was grey when my head ,hair isn't (I appreciated the honesty, but my wife liked the beard and isn't happy).

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #926 on: August 21, 2018, 07:34:15 PM »
Congrats on the pending USPS job or jobs.
I have a couple of interviews lined up later this week and a couple of more next week, so it's not like my job search has hit a total stand still, but I'm not going to get excited until I have an offer.
As silly as it sounds, one thing I just did yesterday was shave my big grey beard off as I was told by a headhunter that it was making me look older because it was grey when my head ,hair isn't (I appreciated the honesty, but my wife liked the beard and isn't happy).
Thanks! Been trying for a few years to get on with USPS though I will probably have to wait over a year for full benefits :-\ At least I'm getting my foot in the door.

Yeah first impressions are like judging a book by its cover.. You're viewed for the first time and the resume is not even taken into consideration it seems..
Yeah lose the beard for the time being then let it grow back once you're employed. 8)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #927 on: August 31, 2018, 10:06:09 AM »
Yesterday was my last day at Target and I am taking a few days off before beginning orientation with the USPS on Sept. 5 & 6.
Looking forward to the new opportunity  8)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #928 on: September 03, 2018, 06:31:16 PM »
Woohoo on the post office job!!!!

I'm starting more and more to being inclined to calling myself retired after having been unemployed for 7 months as of tomorrow. Have been keeping a spreadsheet of jobs I've applied for and whule I'm sure I didn't record a few, per my spreadsheet I applied for my 150th job this morning...and got rejected in record time.  Applied at 9 AM, received a rejection email at 10:30 AM (thinking it was likely due to a question on the online app about my last pay vs. what this job likely paid, but amazingly quick rejection especially considering it's a holiday today)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #929 on: September 03, 2018, 06:42:24 PM »
Looking at the start date of my spreadsheet, I started it 2 months into my search, so I'm guessing a more accurate total would be I'm 200 to 0. :(