login

Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 102983 times)

Offline Lemming Howard

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 178
  • God rest you Brother.
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #885 on: January 03, 2018, 03:19:09 PM »
Finished my first Thanksgiving/Black Friday week at my seasonal job
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and it was quite the experience..
I work very early mornings starting with unloading trucks of merchandise which is pretty grueling actually but wakes you up, and sorting it to different pallets to be taken out to various departments where it's set out on shelves before the store opens.
By the end of my shift, my feet are killing me!! The fact that I haven't been on my feet for long periods of time for years as well as having flat-feet doesn't help things at all :-\
I'm toughing it out till the end of December to see if I have the possibility of moving up in the company but from what I've seen, it may take some time for advancement there, so I will probably start floating my resume again in mid-January checking some other more promising job prospects.
That brings back memories.  I did the same thing working for Walmart in a Connecticut store back in 2002.  We would haul stuff on to the floor only to find we had no place to put it and had to bring it back and put it in a trailer behind the store.  It was a new store and they didn't know what would move at that location.  They had so many trailers filled with merchandise the town was fining them for it.  A few months of that and I finally followed my old job down to Lancaster Co. PA.  The pay off  for that was I able to retire this past  Sept.
And I'm worse than Hitler.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3455
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #886 on: January 03, 2018, 04:32:28 PM »
Finished my first Thanksgiving/Black Friday week at my seasonal job
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and it was quite the experience..
I work very early mornings starting with unloading trucks of merchandise which is pretty grueling actually but wakes you up, and sorting it to different pallets to be taken out to various departments where it's set out on shelves before the store opens.
By the end of my shift, my feet are killing me!! The fact that I haven't been on my feet for long periods of time for years as well as having flat-feet doesn't help things at all :-\
I'm toughing it out till the end of December to see if I have the possibility of moving up in the company but from what I've seen, it may take some time for advancement there, so I will probably start floating my resume again in mid-January checking some other more promising job prospects.
That brings back memories.  I did the same thing working for Walmart in a Connecticut store back in 2002.  We would haul stuff on to the floor only to find we had no place to put it and had to bring it back and put it in a trailer behind the store.  It was a new store and they didn't know what would move at that location.  They had so many trailers filled with merchandise the town was fining them for it.  A few months of that and I finally followed my old job down to Lancaster Co. PA.  The pay off  for that was I able to retire this past  Sept.
I'm getting ready to make 1 final trip to Mexico in a couple days to drop off the last remnants of my late wife's stuff to her family as well as get my half of the land transferred to my goddaughter, go to the dentist, get the rest of my belongings and visit the cemetery where she's buried and when I return, I've been offered my job back at Target on a part time basis; early morning hours till 9 or 10am and then run my tax business to catch what few clients still come by while submitting my resume looking for something full time that pays well so I can rebuild my savings and also has benefits.
This new year it's my resolution to get myself financially stabilized and start saving for my retirement.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1272
« Reply #887 on: February 03, 2018, 03:50:13 PM »
This upsets me.  Wages finally go up a tiny bit, and huge companies immediately freak out.  It seems so hopeless.  I know it's a complex issue that I do not fully understand, but what I do understand is this: wages have not increased with productivity in a long, long time.  Additionally, the gulf between the wealthy and the poor has grown larger and larger. 

How is that ever going to change if those who have everything freak out when those who have nothing scrape together a few more crumbs?  What is so scary about a middle class with money to spend? 

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/02/582809604/dow-plummets-more-550-points

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #888 on: February 09, 2018, 09:40:19 AM »
Since returning from my final trip to Mexico last month (January,2018), I've been back on the major hunt for full time employment.
I was able to get back on at Target part-time while still trying to run my Spanish Services tax business till something else comes along. At Target I'm lucky to get 8-12 hours a week currently. I put in for a Loss Prevention position there and after 2 weeks I still haven't had an interview..
I also reapplied for a Rural Carrier position with the US Postal Service 3 years after being disqualified from applying for that position due to a chargeable accident that was on my 5 year driving record.. This time around I scored a 87.5 + 5 point Veterans preference = 92.5! Still waiting to see if that accident will affect my hire-ability with the USPS.
Also I applied with Delta Airlines as a Flight Attendant and the interview process seems to be progressing at a rapid pace :o Applied for and heard back a week later to do a video interview. Then I was scheduled for an phone interview this morning and that seems to have gone well also. Next step would be to fly out to Atlanta to Delta headquarters for a face-to-face interview. If that goes well then I would be scheduled for Flight Attendant training sometime this Spring.
Of all these jobs, I would prefer the Flight Attendant job because of the travel to different destinations as well as the pay and honestly I think this would be my dream job 8)
We'll see what happens next..

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #889 on: February 26, 2018, 10:17:45 AM »
Welp Delta didn't go any further.. Thought the phone interview went well myself but 48 hours after the phone interview I receive an email thanking me for considering Delta but despite my impressive credentials they were going with other candidates.. Dammit! :-[
Over a month and I'm still waiting for the Post Office to call me up for an interview. My application still shows I'm on the Pre-Hire List..
Meanwhile I'm still working part time at Target. After a month of inquiring, I finally get the interview for that Loss Prevention position that they seem to be blowing me off about and after the 15 minute interview, the HR rep told me they had decided on someone else already.. Then why waste my time interviewing me ???
Then today while stocking, the store manager tells me I'm talking too much and should be more productive when stocking. I'm not as young as I used to be and I bust my ass for the first couple of hours unloading the morning tractor trailer load (6am-8am) and yet we don't get a break till 9am.. Honestly, I'm wore slap out after the truck is finished and all of us talk to each other to boost moral and to help make the day pass by quicker..
It seems to me that my days are numbered working at Target :-[

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1497
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #891 on: March 09, 2018, 04:15:52 PM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 249
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #892 on: March 09, 2018, 04:46:26 PM »
Well at least there's always Target and Wal-mart.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 135
« Reply #893 on: March 13, 2018, 07:08:30 PM »
Don't know if this will make you feel better or worse about the post office, but the last time I was unemployed 15 years ago, I took the civil service test (not sure if they do that test any more) for the post office and it was 2 years before I heard from them and by then I was no longer interested. (Also applied for a state job at that same time and it was almost 3 years before the state got back to me for a interview, and again, at that time I was no longer interested).
Now, I'm unemployed again for the first time in 15 years. Currently stuck in phone interview hell. Lost my job 4 weeks ago. 12 phone interviews since then. 8 email rejections shortly after the phone interviews. Nothing from the others (although 2 were just this week, so too early for a rejection just yet). Have another 12 weeks of severance payments before I start to get too worried, but not feeling too hopeful at this point.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 07:16:39 PM by wihogfan »

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #894 on: March 15, 2018, 02:48:38 PM »
And I just found out that I didn't get the Rural Carrier job with the post office either so I'm back to square 1 :-[
Never heard of that civil service test but I'm pretty sure that damn accident on my record from Oct. 2014 was the reason I didn't get it this time around.. Chatted briefly with our old forum member BTA and he said to apply for a mail handler or clerk position since they don't drive routes.

Also I've had a couple living next door in my Mega Shed that have fallen behind on the rent.. Been renting it to them for $700/mo includes power, water, internet, & digital antenna TV and all I've received from them is $360 since January! Their car motor blew at the beginning of the year and then was repo'd last month, the wife has since left apparently to go to Ohio to be with her daughter there that's having some kind of domestic issues and the guy is supposedly working at a restaurant as a dishwasher.
My compassion is running out as I don't see him catching up (currently over $1500 behind now) on the rent and I need that $700/mo now more than ever.. Dude's gonna have to find some place else to live soon I'm afraid! >:(

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #895 on: March 23, 2018, 08:49:09 PM »
Finally made my way out of phone interview hell and had a face-to-face interview yesterday. No idea how it went-was really nervous before it (it was only my 3rd face-to-face interview in 15 years), but relaxed quite a bit once it started. Claimed they'll be making a decision next week (and it was a weird online posting in that they posted the position on Monday and took it down on Wednesday).

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #896 on: March 24, 2018, 01:33:20 AM »
Good luck, Hope you get it.
I've reached a stand still on my job hunt for the time being as I'm just concentrating on banking what ever I can make in my tax business from what few clients still come by..
Got a couple of small business prospects I'm exploring; 1 would be partnering up with a friend starting up a pressure washing business as he inherited a lot of money from his mom's passing last year but doesn't have the business know how where I do and I also pressure wash as a hobby, the other is offering a mobile nursing service with a surgical nurse I'm currently seeing, (well talking to cause she lives in Pittsburgh) and she's telling me there's a need for mobile nurses to go to their homes or nursing homes, even buying & delivering groceries for them and other transportation needs so we're continuing to explore that option in the future :-\

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #897 on: March 24, 2018, 09:09:15 AM »
It's always nice to hear your store manager jump all over you because you have to leave to try and make some real money.. I'm only getting 4-5 hours a day and only 2-3 days of work per week at Target. They won't give me anymore than that.
I was scheduled till 11am and have tried multiple times to get my schedule set where I could leave by 10:30 on weekdays and 10am on weekends and yet the HR rep continues to schedule me whenever.. I reminded him again that I had to leave at 10am to try and catch customers at my dying tax business and the store manager says "I don't care if you need to make $5000 dollars, I need you here stocking!" Yeah it's more important to stay making $11.50/hr instead of $140 in 30 minutes doing taxes ::) ... I left anyway at 10am.
Maybe if he would have asked a little more professionally I might have given him 30 extra minutes but with that shitty attitude, the job is not worth that kind of belittlement  >:(

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #898 on: April 18, 2018, 10:04:08 AM »
Had my review at Target and I had a good review overall which equates to a whole $0.16 cents raise ... I only get 2 4-hour days a week there and last week it was only 1 day and next week I get 4 days ::)
During my review, my cell phone rang and I quickly shut it off to send the call to voice mail. When I checked the message after work it was a phone call from the post office in the next town over wanting to setup an interview on April 24 :o
I called them back to confirm that I would be there.
I just hope I get this job cause I'll immediately put in my 2 week notice at Target 8)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 10:40:27 AM by RVR II »

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #899 on: May 05, 2018, 06:48:45 PM »
Our 10 year old refrigerator that hasn't worked very well over the last 2 plus years finally totally stopped cooling last week. Wife really wanted one with a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles that are pointless. Fortunately all of those thousand dollar plus models were far too big to fit in our space (or else were thousands of dollars). Unfortunately a basic model 24 square foot fridge is more expensive than the same model that is 20 square feet, but 20 square feet fits and 24 doesn't.
Shopped used first, but the cost between used and new was either not that different or the used nearby craigslist stuff was crap.
So had a new fridge delivered yesterday.   
Money we really didn't need to spend right now, but man it's nice being able to have a room temperature drink cooled in about 2 hours and be colder than our old fridge ever even its prime would have gotten it.   

Still been stuck in phone interview hell recently, but do have 2 face-to-face interviews next week.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 09:09:42 PM by wihogfan »