Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 121208 times)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #390 on: November 29, 2010, 10:11:34 AM »
Yeah but we will never be allowed to get on that train as long as the rich and the rednecks run this country.  That is why we need another country or a person to take power and force this country to move into the future and give the American dream to everyone.  We need a single strong leader who can tell the rich either you get with the program and give power back to the people or you are not welcome here.  Private corporations are the greatest crime in the history of man the sooner they are banned on aworldwide scale the better.

Also the UN needs to declare banking a crime against humanity.

We will not be free until we have done away with banks.

I'm getting deja vu.  Didn't Anakin say this to Padme in Attack of the Clones?

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3899
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #391 on: November 29, 2010, 10:12:54 AM »
I can live with that! Where do I sign up? Also, how bout a beer fridge in every garage?

That is my pledge, and the people I do not like get it filled with Schaefer Light.
Can we also be fans of other NFL teams besides the Rams?? :o

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #392 on: November 30, 2010, 04:20:15 PM »
Guess I'm not getting that job at State Street.   :-\

From Boston.com
More job cuts coming from State Street Corp.

State Street Corp. said it plans to eliminate 1,400 positions in 2011, including around 400 in Massachusetts, in a restructuring aimed at cutting costs by $625 million.

The job cuts, totaling 5 percent of State Street's global workforce, came as a surprise, as the Boston financial services giant has in the past year emerged from the problems of the financial crisis, and reported large gains in revenues and profits. State Street said the cuts would come across the company, which employs 29,000 people, 12,600 of them in Massachusetts.

"I am confident that this multi-year plan will transform our operating model and enable State Street to continue its industry leadership in service to clients, innovation and operational excellence," chief executive Jay Hooley said in a statement.

State Street last conducted layoffs in 2008 and 2009 -- 2,200 altogether -- in response to the plummeting global investment markets.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #393 on: November 30, 2010, 04:24:43 PM »
Is that the place you interviewed where you where stuck in a massive traffic jam on the way there?
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #394 on: November 30, 2010, 04:32:46 PM »
Is that the place you interviewed where you where stuck in a massive traffic jam on the way there?

Nope. That was at Ocean Spray's main HQ.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #395 on: November 30, 2010, 07:43:45 PM »
State Street has a web site that some of the financial people at work use.  It intermittently breaks in ways that State Street is not at fault for, and it's always a nightmare to figure out why.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #396 on: December 01, 2010, 11:03:56 AM »
Hey I just agree with Thomas Jefferson,banks are the greatest threat to freedom there is.

http://etext.virginia.edu/jefferson/quotations/jeff1325.htm

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #397 on: December 01, 2010, 11:46:10 AM »
Hey I just agree with Thomas Jefferson,banks are the greatest threat to freedom there is.

You hopped into that telephone booth again didn't you?? :o

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #398 on: December 01, 2010, 12:00:21 PM »

I don't know a lot about economics, but I'm not clear on where people would get credit to buy cars, or a mortgage to buy a house, or investment capital to start a business, or even a safe place to protect their money from outright theft, without banks.  Or for that matter how anyone would save money for a rainy day, or save up for retirement without the security of a bank, or the investment potential for the money to grow.

I have approximately $6,000 in just cash to my name.  My retired mother is living of a couple hundred grand she squirreled away over the years.  I can't imagine leaving that kind of money sitting around my home.

I'm not sure what kind of alternate system you propose.  Should money be carted around via pallets full of cash?  Do we go to some kind of barter system?  Should I have bought my car with a band of hundred dollar bills?  Should my parents and siblings have bought their houses with a suitcase full of cash?

Also, that link you provided, I think you're taking it way out of context.  Most of it seems to be Jefferson railing against paper money over hard coin (currency based on precious metals).

But why am I typing this?  You'll just scream back with some insane histrionic rant.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #399 on: December 01, 2010, 02:16:28 PM »
If we didn't have banks everyone would own their own home and wouldn't have to worry about getting kicked out.  Also the mess we are in was created by banks.  Banks are just a way for the rich to steal money from everyone else.  if we went back to a barter system we would have to worry about the banks and wall street plotting against us.

being rich should be a crime because the only way to get rich is to steal with dirty trick.  The sooner we get rid of money and banks the better.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #400 on: December 01, 2010, 02:27:08 PM »
Oh boy.. Here we go again ::)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #401 on: December 01, 2010, 02:46:44 PM »

Normally  I would counter respond with Snopes talking about the usual Jefferson misquote
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/jefferson/banks.asp
or with Monticello's page on the subject:
http://wiki.monticello.org/mediawiki/index.php/Private_Banks_%28Quotation%29

but since the U of V is using actual quotes, let me respond. In those quoted letters (like this one, )

Jefferson was arguing against paper currency, which he feared would be quickly rendered valueless. In the 1790s, you had 50 different forms of currency in use in the US, some issued by banks and some foreign,  and when people gave "X' amount of silver to a bank for "X" much currency, ten years later, it would often be worth half the original amount. This is why the US started a federal bank and created a Mint, so that we could try and standardize our currency as well as get foreign credit.

Look, Jefferson was a wise man, but his view of America was that it would be a nation of farmers forever. Heck, here's him talking about banks:

We are an agricultural nation. Such an one employs its sparings in the purchase or improvement of land or stocks. The lendable money among them is chiefly that of orphans and wards in the hands of executors and guardians, and that which the farmer lays by till he has enough for the purchase in view.

Think about quote for a sec. The bank's money comes from orphans and farmers don't need that fancy money anyway. We can just plant and harvest until we get the funds. That philosophy just doesn't work in an industrial society. "You want to build cars? Build them by hand until you can afford a plant." or "You want to open a convenience store? Forget about a loan. Just sell snacks from the side of the road until you can afford a slurpee machine."

Hell. you just need to look at the events of the time that Jefferson was writing those letters to see that Jefferson was wrong. In 1811, the First Bank of the US went out of existence (The law that created it expired without Congress renewing it.) . Because of that, the US had to pay off the bank's investors and when the War of 1812 rolled around, the US had no available money supply. The folks who did the job of modern banks (i.e. loaning money) refused to extend loans to the government and foreign investors were similarly skittish. As a result, the US had problems fighting the British during the war because they had no funds available. Plus after taxing everything left and right in order to help get funds, public support of the government was at a pretty low mark. And this was in an era were annoyed folks would stage revolts. As a result, one of the first Congressional acts in 1816 after the war's end was to create another national bank. They recognized the problem, even if Jefferson didn't.

Oh and:

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #402 on: December 01, 2010, 02:54:43 PM »
I'll do it.

Relax everyone, I've got this.
Vote for Bob in 2012!
Glock and Awe!! 8)

As soon as you set up your Central American stronghold, we take over.   I promise to be a kindly ruler and govern with a just hand.  Of course, the New York Yankees will be disbanded and Bill Billicheck will be beheaded, but I think everyone can live with that.

My offer still stands people........

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #403 on: December 01, 2010, 02:54:59 PM »
If we didn't have banks everyone would own their own home and wouldn't have to worry about getting kicked out.  Also the mess we are in was created by banks.  Banks are just a way for the rich to steal money from everyone else.  if we went back to a barter system we would have to worry about the banks and wall street plotting against us.

being rich should be a crime because the only way to get rich is to steal with dirty trick.  The sooner we get rid of money and banks the better.

I think that every single sentence of your post is wrong.  So wrong that it's impossible to address.  I just don't know how.

Did you ever consider that the root of your problems might be your mind?  I can't decide if you are mentally unstable or just plain retarded.  I really don't think you're a troll; I think you actually believe this crap.  But then I can't be sure.  How can anybody actually think this way? The only way to get rich is to steal?  We need to forego currency?  People would be able to own homes in a system without currency?  

I could address your outright bigotry against rich people, or the absurdity of running a civilization based on bartering when mankind moved away from that 6,000 years ago, but I'm just too dumbfounded.  And the game of winding you up to watch you humiliate yourself has gotten old.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #404 on: December 01, 2010, 03:01:37 PM »
And it began again while I was typing. Great.

Doc? I've used a barter system, both officially and unofficially .  Officially, barter organizations exist all across the US. They're a pain in the ass to deal with. Why? Because for the most part they just replicate what money already does. "I'll offer free printing services to other folks in the co-op. In exchange for each one, I get credit with the barter company which I can then use to get other goods and services." In other words, you're simply trading dollars for "barter money." Plus you still have to pay taxes, because the city and state aren't going to let you get away with that loophole. It works slightly better for services as you're not losing anything but time, but for physical goods, you're better off reducing the price so that you get dollars which can then use for anything, rather than just for the stuff that your fellow barter people offer. And unofficially? "If I buy this amount of advertising, will you give me season tickets?" Yeah, that's fairly common, and much more off the books.

I'm not even going to respond to the rest as I'm getting the feeling that  teaching my cat to sing would be a more productive use of my time.