login

Author Topic: The Economic Downturn..  (Read 118315 times)

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
Re: The Economic Downturn..
« Reply #345 on: October 18, 2010, 07:56:56 AM »
Maybe your unemployment office is hiring to process all those new claims.. If not, That would be a nice suggestion to submit to the 'higher-ups':o

The state would need money for that.  And people have been too busy voting for tax cuts for themselves to notice that nothing mutually benefical can be paid for when they do.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1511
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #346 on: October 21, 2010, 04:05:40 PM »
My former company's new site in Des Moines is finished.
 :-\

Just think, I could be working here.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=D2&Dato=20101021&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=10210801&Ref=PH

But then again, I'd have to leave the Boston area, family, friends, not have the ocean or mountains nearby...  And the closest baseball team is the Iowa Cubs.  Woo? (Something about a 3+ hour drive to see a real team play and having to choose between ChiSox, Cubs, Royals, & Cards just doesn't seem like fun.)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #347 on: October 21, 2010, 04:17:58 PM »

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=D2&Dato=20101021&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=10210801&Ref=PH

But then again, I'd have to leave the Boston area, family, friends, not have the ocean or mountains nearby...  And the closest baseball team is the Iowa Cubs.  Woo? (Something about a 3+ hour drive to see a real team play and having to choose between ChiSox, Cubs, Royals, & Cards just doesn't seem like fun.)

Positives of Des Moines:   You could hang out with the Slashers (Erin and Gary) and become a Cardinals fan.

Negatives of Des Moines:   IT'S DES MOINES.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #348 on: October 21, 2010, 04:21:09 PM »

Positives of Des Moines:   You could hang out with the Slashers (Erin and Gary) and become a Cardinals fan.

Negatives of Des Moines:   IT'S DES MOINES.

I didn't mind West Des Moines.  But the longest I was out there was about 3 weeks straight.  (Then home for a week, and back to DSM for 2...)  I was out there a bit and really liked the area, but... yeah... Des Moines...

But holy crap that building is INSANE.  (And nice to see my buddy Matt in one of the pictures rocking the "stand up cube".)  He's one of the only people who moved out there from my office that's still out there.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3823
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #349 on: October 21, 2010, 05:11:08 PM »
Don't forget the frequent floods to slosh around in :speechless:

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #350 on: October 21, 2010, 05:15:51 PM »
Don't forget the frequent floods to slosh around in :speechless:

And tornados.  We had tornado warnings one time when I was there.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #351 on: October 21, 2010, 05:18:05 PM »
I think that would be the Only reason I would move there :o

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #352 on: October 21, 2010, 07:17:46 PM »
I don't blame you. I don't think there's anything that could persuade me to leave the east coast, especially not in favor of the midwest. As you pointed out, your family is here, there's the mountains and the ocean and baseball. There's something to be said for quality of life (says the woman who's trapped in NYC and hates it).
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #353 on: October 22, 2010, 07:16:56 AM »
Good lord this is a mess...

Yesterday I was told I was given an extension of benefits until the week ending 12/25.  Later in the day another former co-worker was told he was given 6 weeks.  He called back today to find out what the deal was and was told 12/25 as well.  Then I get an email from yet another co-worker that said:
I finally spoke with someone early this morning.  Did they tell you that this extension could end anytime depending on UE falling below 8.5% (which it did this week).  They stated it could go from essentially 1-20 weeks, but it's contingent.  I wasn't sure if you got the same information or not, since no one there appears to be on the same page.
:grr:

Starting to think it may be time to move back to Nova Scotia.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #354 on: October 22, 2010, 07:29:06 AM »
Good lord this is a mess...

Yesterday I was told I was given an extension of benefits until the week ending 12/25.  Later in the day another former co-worker was told he was given 6 weeks.  He called back today to find out what the deal was and was told 12/25 as well.  Then I get an email from yet another co-worker that said:
I finally spoke with someone early this morning.  Did they tell you that this extension could end anytime depending on UE falling below 8.5% (which it did this week).  They stated it could go from essentially 1-20 weeks, but it's contingent.  I wasn't sure if you got the same information or not, since no one there appears to be on the same page.
:grr:

Starting to think it may be time to move back to Nova Scotia.

Start your own reality show if you go up there..

"K1's Deadliest Lobster Catch!" :D :D

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #355 on: October 22, 2010, 08:20:06 AM »
I grew up in Newark, Delaware.  In 2004, I took a job in Durham, North Carolina.  My family says that there was something particularly brave about packing up and moving 400 miles away to start a new life and a new job in a new city.  I think they're giving me too much credit; I tend to think that what I did, while exciting for me, was also pretty impulsive and not that atypical.

I left that job 10 months later and returned to Delaware, because I was no good at it.  But it reminds me of something about my life that brings me both joy and sadness.  I really have no strong roots.  I like my family, but I don't relate to them all that well (except in the biological sense).  I could really pick up and take a job anywhere in the country if the pay was good.  I have one really close friend who lives in Wilmington, and she's probably the only thing that could make me hesitate. 

But then, the fact that I don't have strong roots is in itself kinda sad, because it leads to a rather lonely existence.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #356 on: October 22, 2010, 10:19:48 AM »
I prefer to think of it as we have frontier and pioneering spirit.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5679
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #357 on: October 22, 2010, 10:25:42 AM »
As long as you're not prone to dysentery.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #358 on: October 22, 2010, 10:38:13 AM »
As long as you're not prone to dysentery.

"Prone" may be too strong of a word......

Offline FLOCK of RABID SHEEP?!?!

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #359 on: October 22, 2010, 12:06:22 PM »
I grew up in Newark, Delaware.  In 2004, I took a job in Durham, North Carolina.  My family says that there was something particularly brave about packing up and moving 400 miles away to start a new life and a new job in a new city.  I think they're giving me too much credit; I tend to think that what I did, while exciting for me, was also pretty impulsive and not that atypical.

I left that job 10 months later and returned to Delaware, because I was no good at it.  But it reminds me of something about my life that brings me both joy and sadness.  I really have no strong roots.  I like my family, but I don't relate to them all that well (except in the biological sense).  I could really pick up and take a job anywhere in the country if the pay was good.  I have one really close friend who lives in Wilmington, and she's probably the only thing that could make me hesitate. 

But then, the fact that I don't have strong roots is in itself kinda sad, because it leads to a rather lonely existence.

i did the same thing, though i moved then found a job.  i do miss my mom though and told her she should move here.  luckily i saw her a few weeks ago when she and her sister drove here with my computer and other things on a road trip.